• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

June 14, 2014 - Taking the Magic to Venice

Hello all,
Just joined DIS, but have been a lurker for a few years. We booked this cruise last October (2013) during our Eastern Caribbean cruise on Disney Fantasy. Have already joined the FB group, but wanted to get in on this thread. It will be me - Scott, DW - Donna, and DD - Kenzie (9). Looking forward to seeing all this summer.
Scott

Hello all,
Just joined DIS, but have been a lurker for a few years. We booked this cruise last October (2013) during our Eastern Caribbean cruise on Disney Fantasy. Have already joined the FB group, but wanted to get in on this thread. It will be me - Scott, DW - Donna, and DD - Kenzie (9). Looking forward to seeing all this summer.
Scott

Welcome! Were you on the Oct 5, 2013 Eastern Caribbean Fantasy sailing? That's when we booked this trip.

We also have a DD - Amanda (9) as well as a little DD - Ashley (6). We were DIS lurkers too until we booked this cruise but figured if we're spending 12 days with everyone we might as well get to know each other.

Welcome! Were you on the Oct 5, 2013 Eastern Caribbean Fantasy sailing? That's when we booked this trip.

We also have a DD - Amanda (9) as well as a little DD - Ashley (6). We were DIS lurkers too until we booked this cruise but figured if we're spending 12 days with everyone we might as well get to know each other.

If you're on Facebook you should join the group there too:

Yes, we were on that cruise (our third), with my parents on that one. With this cruise, we will have been onboard all 4 ships. Both DW and myself joined the Facebook page before I joined DIS.

I'm another long time lurker who just joined DIS. We've been WDW regulars for years and I guess we're finally branching out to DCL, this will be our second cruise. Our party is 2 adults and DS14.

I can't claim to have any recommendations as this is our first trip to Europe, but I'll be glad to answer a previous poster (mtmama2) about where we are staying on land and why. We are spending 2 nights in Barcelona and went with the Hilton Diagonal Mar, I booked it independently about a month ago and got a fairly decent price for a room that holds 3. We did book the DCL transfer from hotel to ship. This is going to sound lame, but a big reason for picking this hotel is it's across the street from a large mall. DS14 is autistic and although he's really high functioning, a food court with familiar chains will be handy for getting some food into him. I'm hopeful there will be some more authentic food available for us. I am also concerned about our arrival day, we've got one connection before that long overnight flight and arriving at 10am with no hotel room ready and a kid way out of his comfort zone is tricky. I figure a mall and a movie theater will seem familiar to him and be a better choice than taking a tour along with the airport transfer, which is what I was considering. On June 13th we are going to take a full day tour of Barcelona, probably with Barcelona Day Tours although I'm collecting quotes now.

We are also going to spend 2 nights in Venice, and went with a hotel on Lido island to be a little bit removed from some of the hustle and bustle, and we love beach time. Again I booked about a month ago and found an OK price for a room that holds 3 in a hotel right by the water taxi/bus dock. There were cheaper hotels on Lido that looked fine, but we are willing pay a bit more for the convenience of being right by the taxi dock.

Aloha, Jonas! Is there still room(s) to add on us to the FE group? We will have 2 rooms, but are in guarantee status so haven't found out yet. Total of 3 adults (40, 39, 62) and 2 keiki (8yo girl, 4 yo boy). No allergies. Mahalo! If its too late or full its okay. We'll still look forward to celebrating with everyone on board. - Jason

Hi!

Added you to the FE group now. :-) You are party # 16! Welcome, I hope you have a wonderful cruise! :-)

Jonas

Welcome to the recent lurkers who have joined this board :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

This group seems to be on the quiet side now that there's a private FB page, but I still like to hear from everyone on what they are planning for excursions, etc. :idea:

Right now, we have gotten our list ranked on what we want to do in each port, just in case when our booking window opens on the 16th, our top choice is full....

Welcome to the recent lurkers who have joined this board :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

This group seems to be on the quiet side now that there's a private FB page, but I still like to hear from everyone on what they are planning for excursions, etc. :idea:

Right now, we have gotten our list ranked on what we want to do in each port, just in case when our booking window opens on the 16th, our top choice is full....

Thank you for the welcome! And for excursions we are doing exactly the same thing. Waiting impatiently for the 16th (or 10pm on the 15th for those of us in Mountain time zone), with our list of DCL excursions. We really want to do Jump Back into Eternal Rome, among others we're hoping are still available. We're also considering private excursions, but not seriously, probably only if we can't get the DCL ones we want. We will not DIY.

Girls and Boys, Ladies and Gentlemen!

As the first Fish Extender group has arrived at 19 parties, it will close with the addition of the 20th party.

That means if someone wants to set up a second group, someone will need to volunteer for this.

Have a great week!

:banana:

Welcome to the recent lurkers who have joined this board :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2: This group seems to be on the quiet side now that there's a private FB page, but I still like to hear from everyone on what they are planning for excursions, etc. :idea: Right now, we have gotten our list ranked on what we want to do in each port, just in case when our booking window opens on the 16th, our top choice is full....

We are a party of 6. My husband and I, our 2 children (girls 9 & 11), and my divorced parents. My parents and kids are traveling together the day before the cruise and my husband and I are flying to Barcelona a day early and staying at the hilton Diagonal Mar. At the end of the cruise our girls will travel back to the states and my husband and I will be flying to Paris for 2 nights before coming back to the states.

While my father is off doing his own thing, the rest of us are planning on DIY Europe! I have a good level of confidence in the public transportation. But the "must sees" for us are Pisa, the Colosseum, and Pompeii.

This is the 3rd Disney cruise for my father and my kids,,,, the first "Disney" cruise for myself, although I am NO stranger to cruising! This is the 2nd Med cruise for me.

I look forward to meeting all of you (possibly) in June!

Hi, everyone!

I'm a thrilled (and sorry?) to say that the very first Fish Extender group is now closed. 20 parties of more than 60 people!

Can't wait to meet you all and enjoy this incredible cruise together!

Has there been any thoughts on doing a meet and greet for our group? We did that with our last DIS cruise (which also was our first!) we actually did a few of them, with the first one on sail date. :cloud9::cloud9:

Welcome to the recent lurkers who have joined this board :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2: This group seems to be on the quiet side now that there's a private FB page, but I still like to hear from everyone on what they are planning for excursions, etc. :idea: Right now, we have gotten our list ranked on what we want to do in each port, just in case when our booking window opens on the 16th, our top choice is full....

Hi! We are a family of four excited about the upcoming June 14 Euro cruise. My husband and I are traveling with our two children DD 15, DS 12.
We'll begin our trip with a day in Barcelona and hope we're not too jet lagged to take in the sights. This is our first Euro cruise and our 9th total. I'm so happy to have found this board specific to our cruise/itineraries! We're still trying to decide on which excursions to book. There's so much we want to do and so little time. Wish we could pick and choose parts of the activities offered. We'd love to hear what others are planning to do during the cruise and afterwards in Europe. We'll be traveling from Venice to Paris and need to make plans. So glad we found this board! :)

Hi! We are a family of four excited about the upcoming June 14 Euro cruise. My husband and I are traveling with our two children DD 15, DS 12.
We'll begin our trip with a day in Barcelona and hope we're not too jet lagged to take in the sights. This is our first Euro cruise and our 9th total. I'm so happy to have found this board specific to our cruise/itineraries! We're still trying to decide on which excursions to book. There's so much we want to do and so little time. Wish we could pick and choose parts of the activities offered. We'd love to hear what others are planning to do during the cruise and afterwards in Europe. We'll be traveling from Venice to Paris and need to make plans. So glad we found this board! :)

Welcome to our little group. If it is your first time in Barcelona and you have most of the day before the cruise then please do the HOP ON HOP OFF bus so you can get to see most of the important sights there are in the city. The bus base is located in Placa de Catalunya which is the large square at the top of Las Rambla.

Good luck deciding what excursions you want to do as there are so many on offer. It's a very personal decision on what you want to do.

Hope you manage to glean a lot of helpful info from this group. Just keep asking questions.

Have a good weekend!

We'll be on board:
Jennifer & Bill
Kids: Jack (15), Billy (13), Bobby (11), Danny (9)

We'll be on board:
Jennifer & Bill
Kids: Jack (15), Billy (13), Bobby (11), Danny (9)

:welcome: Jennifer, Bill and kids to the Disboards and this cruise in particular.

I don't know if you are on Facebook at all but there is a page dedicated to this cruise to. It's called Seeing the Magic in Venice June 14, 2014 if you want to pop in and ask to join us there. It is a more pro-active group with lots going on.

As you are new to the Disboards you may not know that you cannot personal message anybody until you have 10 posts and to achieve that just keep posting with odd bits of information about you and your family - where you are from - previous cruises you have done - what excursions you have chosen - any questions you may have. That way you will soon achieve your 10 posts. We look forward to hearing more from you.

:sail:

I sent an email to DCL a couple of days ago asking if they could confirm when the formal/ semi formal/pirate nights were and this is the reply I have just had:

Thank you for choosing another Disney Cruise Line vacation!

I would be happy to assist you.

Dining attire varies by venue or theme night on your cruise. In general,
most meals are "Cruise Casual"-- shorts, jeans, khakis and capris are
permitted; however, we ask that Guests refrain from wearing swimwear or
tank tops in the dining rooms.

Below is the recommended attire for your cruise itinerary and is subject
to change:

12-Night Barcelona to Venice cruise on the Disney Magic (6/14)
*Nights 1, 3 - 9, 12: cruise casual
*Night 2: "formal night" - formal wear for men: tuxedo or suit; for
women: gown or dress
*Night 10: pirate night with deck party - cruise casual or bring your
best pirate outfit!
*Night 11: "semi-formal night" - semi-formal wear for men: suit/jacket;
for women: dress or pantsuit.

I hope this information has been helpful. If you require further
assistance in planning your visit, please feel free to contact us.

Hope this helps you all plan your packing better.

:thumbsup 2pirate:

Welcome to our little group. If it is your first time in Barcelona and you have most of the day before the cruise then please do the HOP ON HOP OFF bus so you can get to see most of the important sights there are in the city. The bus base is located in Placa de Catalunya which is the large square at the top of Las Rambla. Good luck deciding what excursions you want to do as there are so many on offer. It's a very personal decision on what you want to do. Hope you manage to glean a lot of helpful info from this group. Just keep asking questions. Have a good weekend!

Welcome to our little group. If it is your first time in Barcelona and you have most of the day before the cruise then please do the HOP ON HOP OFF bus so you can get to see most of the important sights there are in the city. The bus base is located in Placa de Catalunya which is the large square at the top of Las Rambla. Good luck deciding what excursions you want to do as there are so many on offer. It's a very personal decision on what you want to do. Hope you manage to glean a lot of helpful info from this group. Just keep asking questions. Have a good weekend!

Thank you for the welcome and advice. We'll be arriving early the day before the cruise for our first trip to Barcelona. The hop on hop off bus sounds like a great way for us to see the city and have the flexibility to enjoy Barcelona!
We're hoping to see the major sights throughout our cruise but want to have some time to experience the local atmosphere and food also. I've booked excursions and now am trying to find which stops we should do a tour and where we can squeeze in some time to explore on our own. I was able to book Pompeii and Mt Etna which may take up most of our time in port. I also got a tour of Rome that hits the major sights, although I'm debating doing that on our own since there is sooo much we want to do there. We'd like to see all of the important places on our stops without over scheduling, and a few of the ports seem to be quite a distance from the main attractions. We'd appreciate any info on which ports are easily navigated on our own.

Is there any interest in this group for mask making in Venice. I contacted Ca'Macana (www.Ca'Macana.com) in Venice because I thought the ship's excursion was a tad too expensive.

I have contacted the shop and made an appointment for us. They have an opening on June 26 at 1:00 pm-so this would be for those staying in Venice for a bit after the cruise. They will give a tour of the shop and explain the mask process and history. Then you would have time to paint your own mask. My daughter really wanted to do this and I asked if we could watch and their response was if it is not too crowded. If it is crowded, it will give the adults some time to wander around the general area and perhaps enjoy a glass of wine.

If there are 9 people interested the cost would 48E pp. Just let me know if you are interested and how many in your party. I have made the deposit to hold our space.

I thought I'd let ya'll know something my DH found out from DCL about pirate nite. pirate:pirate:pirate:

The online daily shore itineraries all show pirate nite on one nite, but when you call (or email them like Sue did) they tell u a different nite. When my DH brought this conflicting info up to DCL, the rep said they'd inform a supervisor and adjust everyone's daily itineraries so things matched up pixiedust:pixiedust:

Hope this helps!

Well, an official meet and greet is in the works, tentatively on the 14th. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I am collecting names, number, attending, if any are kids, and cabin numbers to give to another member who is getting a form to send into DCL. To sign up, either PM me here with the info or go to the events page on FB, RSVP there and pm your details on FB.

Should be fun! :wave2::wave2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter