• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

June 14, 2014 - Taking the Magic to Venice

What will this mean for our cruise? What about those of us who have already bought airfare and booked hotels in Venice? I really hope this isn't true I really wanted to go to Venice! Would this be something trip insurance would cover? :headache:

http://www.disneybymark.com/2013/09/02/venice-ban-cruise-ships-grand-canal/

Venice to Ban Cruise Ships from Grand Canal
., DISNEY CRUISE LINES
According to a story in the Daily Mail, the eyesore of cruise ships on Venice’s famous skyline could soon become ancient history, as the behemoths are set to be banned from the city’s waterways. The new proposals by Italy’s Environment Minister follow a crackdown on water traffic, after the death of a German tourist two weeks ago. Joachim Vogel, 50, a professor of criminal law, was crushed against a dock by a reversing vaporetto water bus as he took a tour with his family by gondola near the Rialto Bridge.

The tragic accident has prompted authorities to bring in a series of new safety regulations including ‘a floating congestion zone’ on the Grand Canal to ease the chaotic rush hour waterway traffic. Venice’s proud residents have long been up in arms about the presence of large cruise ships passing through the lagoon, with a flotilla of protesters taking to the waters in June.

Lobbyists argue that the huge ships, sometimes ten stories high, erode the canals and the city’s fragile foundations, contribute to the worsening flooding that occurs every winter and damage the delicate eco-systems of the lagoon.

Disney Cruise Lines uses Venice as its home port for Disney Magic’s 12-Night Mediterranean Cruise. Changes to its cruise itinerary are possible but unknown at this time.

Disney Magic entering Venice waterways on its 12-Night Mediterranean Cruise.

The cruise companies pay huge port fees for the privilege, but their passengers frequently eat and sleep on board and contribute little direct revenue to restaurants and hotels. Venice’s mayor wants to see cruise tourists dock at Porto Marghera.

Tensions were raised in July after the Carnival Sunshine, which is owned by the same parent company as the notorious Costa Concordia allegedly passed within yards of the city’s bank while performing ‘a sail by salute’ to a major company shareholder. Film footage appeared to show the 110 thousand ton liner squeezing a vaporetto water taxi and other boats between the ship and the bank.

The proposals would essentially put in action emergency legislation drafted after the Costa Concordia tragedy, that would prevent ships of more than 500 tonnes coming within two nautical miles of landscapes of value such as the Venice lagoon.

Just booked today! Excited beyond words. Our 5th cruise with Disney but first time in the med. I don't even know where to begin for planning, guess I'll book flights asap. There will be 5 of us in two rooms. Myself, wife, 2 boys 15 and 13 and daughter will be 9 at sailing.

Hello All! Our family of 7 total booked this cruise while in Alaska this summer! The 7 consists of myself, Sarah, Hubby Scott, my parents and our 3 kids who will be (at time of sailing) DS 18, DD 14, DD 5. While the idea of a 12 night cruise to Europe sounds amazing I am a bit concerned about our kids. Just hoping to mix a bit of history with a family vacation. I went to Europe in college and only remember bits and pieces of the history. BUT the trip gave me a good appreciation for other cultures and travel. I hope to pass this on to our kids!

I am currently searching constantly for the lowest priced air fair with minimal travel time. I can't believe there are not any direct flights. The best I can find right now is $1650. With 7 tickets to pay for I am optimistic I can get it for less! Keeping my fingers crossed!

Looking forward to getting to know all of you!

Hello All! Our family of 7 total booked this cruise while in Alaska this summer! The 7 consists of myself, Sarah, Hubby Scott, my parents and our 3 kids who will be (at time of sailing) DS 18, DD 14, DD 5. While the idea of a 12 night cruise to Europe sounds amazing I am a bit concerned about our kids. Just hoping to mix a bit of history with a family vacation. I went to Europe in college and only remember bits and pieces of the history. BUT the trip gave me a good appreciation for other cultures and travel. I hope to pass this on to our kids!

I am currently searching constantly for the lowest priced air fair with minimal travel time. I can't believe there are not any direct flights. The best I can find right now is $1650. With 7 tickets to pay for I am optimistic I can get it for less! Keeping my fingers crossed!

Looking forward to getting to know all of you!

Seeing about the same prices for tickets right now. Hoping for better at some point, but have to fly delta because we have at least two free tickets from delta.

Where is a reasonable place to stay pre-cruise (Friday) close to dock but able to walk places during the day. What about post-cruise, since we are their 2 days does it make sense to stay longer?

Thanks,

I bought my cruise tickets on the ship to get the 10 percent discount and then transferred to Dream Unlimited within allotted time to get deeper discount for credit on board which I also got when I purchased my cruise tickets onboard.

Dreams Unlimited will not help with hotels pre and post cruise. Since I am with Dreams Unlimited, can I still go through DCL to get recommended hotels and do they help with air fares? Thanks in advance.

I bought my cruise tickets on the ship to get the 10 percent discount and then transferred to Dream Unlimited within allotted time to get deeper discount for credit on board which I also got when I purchased my cruise tickets onboard. Dreams Unlimited will not help with hotels pre and post cruise. Since I am with Dreams Unlimited, can I still go through DCL to get recommended hotels and do they help with air fares? Thanks in advance.

We found better air on our own and as for hotels the Hilton Diagonal Mar and the Renaissance what Disney used this past summer the .

Booked a hotel in Barcelona for 1 night now thinking about 2 nights due to jet lag when we arrive after traveling from Chicago. We're staying at the Hotel Regina. Now we're looking to stay 1 night in Venice and looking for a hotel where we can easily walk to town or take public transportation to see the sites we did not see when we were at port in Venice. Any suggestions?

I continue to do research and attempt to make the best choices based on this. I am sure we will learn some lessons after our travel.

Next it's air fare. I am a frequent United traveler and have looked at other air carrier options. The price is consistently in all cases around $1,500 per person round trip from Chicago to Barcelona and then Venice to Chicago.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Booked a hotel in Barcelona for 1 night now thinking about 2 nights due to jet lag when we arrive after traveling from Chicago. We're staying at the Hotel Regina. Now we're looking to stay 1 night in Venice and looking for a hotel where we can easily walk to town or take public transportation to see the sites we did not see when we were at port in Venice. Any suggestions?

I continue to do research and attempt to make the best choices based on this. I am sure we will learn some lessons after our travel.

Next it's air fare. I am a frequent United traveler and have looked at other air carrier options. The price is consistently in all cases around $1,500 per person round trip from Chicago to Barcelona and then Venice to Chicago.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

I live to research but this is my first trip overseas. I've looked at a lot of hotels already and still looking. My issue is I need room for 5 people but apartment/condos all require 3 night stays and we are only staying two nights. I haven't even started to look in venice yet.

You may want to look into Apartaments Casp74, they have reviews on Trip advisor. Our family of 4 is booked there 2 nights prior to the cruise. I was able to book online and they are very quick to return emails.

Dis Name: AinW
First Name: Alice
Kids Ages & Genders: 13 (DD)
Also from Western WA

Have done 2 prior Med cruises, including most of these ports, but this time introducing my DD.

Definitely interested in booking private tour to Pompeii or at least transportation to city in Florence, Rome & Dubrovnik. Open to ideas in other ports too.

I'm a DVC member and usually visit WDW and DL annually but this will be my first DCL experience (2nd for my DD who has a generous grandma).

Please add us to the roll call.

Can't wait!!!!:yay:

Dis Name: AinW First Name: Alice Kids Ages & Genders: 13 (DD) Also from Western WA Have done 2 prior Med cruises, including most of these ports, but this time introducing my DD. Definitely interested in booking private tour to Pompeii or at least transportation to city in Florence, Rome & Dubrovnik. Open to ideas in other ports too. I'm a DVC member and usually visit WDW and DL annually but this will be my first DCL experience (2nd for my DD who has a generous grandma). Please add us to the roll call. Can't wait!!!!:yay:

We had a great experience this summer with Rome in Limo in Florence/Pisa and also Rome give then a look.

We're still struggling to find a decent hotel for June 13th that doesn't cost an arm and a leg! So bummed (and shocked?) that the two DCL hotels are already booked solid, as are so many others?? What's happening in the city that night?

Also....has anyone heard anything else about Venice???? (See prior post)

We booked both pre and post stay hotels in the last couple days. We are a family of 5 so it is a bit of a pain. I ended up at the Hilton Barcelona for pre stay and got two rooms. Hoping they are connected, but if not we can seperate with the kids and deal with it for the one night. I'm pumped about the hotel in venice, we found the Hotel Pensione Guerrato and it sleeps 5 and the price was reasonable at 195 euro per night. It is where Rick Steves stays and recommends in Vencie. We are staying two nights in Venice so having enough beds was a big plus. Now I have to book airfare and figure out excursions. I think I have a great non Disney Excursion lined up for Croatia.

We are booked one night pre at Hotel Casa Camper DD really wanted the hotel with the hammock :rotfl2:, I am hoping all the 24hour free snacks and drinks will make up for the extra cost. If not it's a one time thing.

Post we are one night at Best Western Hotel Olimpia Venezia it was 169e it is walking distance to the airport shuttle bus. I booked both thru booking.com they were the cheapest.

One hotel that was already sold out last may told me that June 13 is an very exciting time in Barcelona, but did not say why! I have searched the internet but can't figure it out. I know most hotels are sold out so I was afraid to wait too long to decide.

I have been looking at excursions but haven't booked any of those. None seem very cost effect for two, I am hoping to find someone who needs to fill a couple of spots on theirs here. If not I will do DCL.

I am so excited more people are planning and posting here now!!! :yay:

We are booked one night pre at Hotel Casa Camper DD really wanted the hotel with the hammock :rotfl2:, I am hoping all the 24hour free snacks and drinks will make up for the extra cost. If not it's a one time thing.

Post we are one night at Best Western Hotel Olimpia Venezia it was 169e it is walking distance to the airport shuttle bus. I booked both thru booking.com they were the cheapest.

One hotel that was already sold out last may told me that June 13 is an very exciting time in Barcelona, but did not say why! I have searched the internet but can't figure it out. I know most hotels are sold out so I was afraid to wait too long to decide.

I have been looking at excursions but haven't booked any of those. None seem very cost effect for two, I am hoping to find someone who needs to fill a couple of spots on theirs here. If not I will do DCL.

I am so excited more people are planning and posting here now!!! :yay:

We have an excursion booked in Croatia for our family of 5 if anyone is interested I can see if we can add additional people for the same cost? I know they can accommodate 6, but 7 might be an option.

We have an excursion booked in Croatia for our family of 5 if anyone is interested I can see if we can add additional people for the same cost? I know they can accommodate 6, but 7 might be an option.

I would definitely be interested. It's just me and my DD 10. :)

Hi!

My husband and I just booked this cruise while on a cruise in the Caribbean, so do please add us to the roll call:

Jonas (me) - 32, will be 33 at the time
Steinar (DH) - 35, 36 on the cruise

---

Have anyone started with Fish Extender groups? We would love to join (again!) as long as the groups are manageable in size. Groups of 80-90 people is quite a lot, but smaller ones should be fine. :-) Although I do suppose we could give "stateroom gifts" rather than individual ones. :-)

Also, does anyone know whether the food on the Med cruises is American or European? ;-)

It seems no one has responded to this (?), but I have started the first FE group (that I know of).

There is a cap of 20 staterooms to make the group manageable in size (not too expensive, not too much to bring, and so on).

Please do not hesitate to either
- DM me your details here :-)
- post your details on this thread
- e-mail me your details - jonasaa99@yahoo.no
- write them in the Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/562707577080921/

What I need from you is:

Stateroom - Name(s) - Age(s) - Comment(s) - Dietary needs (allergies, etc.)

See you all real soon - well, at least in 6-7 months! :joker:

We booked the night of June 13th at the Novotel Barcelona City. Saw it in this trip report (disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2485312) and it's one of the few reasonably priced hotels that can accomodate a family of 4. The 2nd bed is a pull out sofa but my 9yr old and 6 yr old daughters are fine on a pullout for 1 night. It looks about $160 USD for the 1 nt and there's a subway (restaurant) nearby :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter