June 14, 2011 - Father's Day on the Wonder in ALASKA!

From all the fellow teacher posts, I think this should be the new name for our cruise! I know that my Palo brunch, excursions, and spa time are all much needed facets to my much larger self revitialization plan! :cool1:

LOL Could all this be tax deductible??? :confused3

Also we would like to extend our sympathy and concern for the butler3 family. I know how devestating this must be to miss this trip. Our Emily (10) is so excited to be celebrating her birthday on this trip and was so upset to hear that another little girl her own age was hurt too badly to go.

About the weather--I am sitting here at 10PM and it is still 94 degrees outside! Bring on Alaska! We are SOOOOOO ready for cooler weather!:cheer2:

We have our green leis ready! See all of you soon!
Margaret pirate:

Oooopps! I forgot to mention- in our FE treat bags there are little capsules. These are little sponge animals that pop open when you drop them in warm water. I taped them into little individual packages so no one would eat one before parents had a chance to stop them. I may be going overboard with the whole childproofing thing, but we are cruising with a 2-year-old, so I tend to go a bit overboard! :eek:

See you soon!
Margaret pirate:

Last weekend before the trip. I could be more excited if I didn't have o go to school today. Yes, we are still making up snow days on Saturdays. Drew's son, that is another thing for you you to look forward to as a future teacher.

Has anyone heard about the Mendenhall kayak excursion? I haven't seen it in any tip reports.

We will come down to the lobby at Pacific Rim on Monday evening. Look forward to knowing someone on cruise now that are friends can't come. I feel really guilty to go without them. We have been working on the trip for ten months. See you all very soon. Off to :teacher:.

Thumper & Bambi: i hear ya about the heat. it has been high 90's in BR this week also :upsidedow

Currently in Vancouver it is 52; Skagway/cloudy 52; Juneau/rainy 47; ketchikan/partly cloudy 51

definitely something to look forward too:cool1::cool1:

i was a school teacher for a time in my life so i know about those last long days of the year. It would have been nice back in those days {~15 years ago:scared1:} to have a cruise to look forward to.

The kids in our school district have been out of school for 1 1/2 weeks already - thanks to no hurricanes last season :worship:. The down side is they start back early August:eek::eek:

have a great weekend and see ya real soon :dance3::dance3:

Hi everyone! Catching up on the DISBoard news today - sorry to read about butler3 not being able to join us - hope you guys heal up quick and travel insurance helps you adjust to another adventure!

To all the teachers onboard, congratulations on making it another year. I am the DD of a public school teacher of 30 yrs+ and now mom to two boys in public schools - who finished up yesterday with A's and B's on their report cards and happy to have a few days to chill at home before "chilling" in "chilly" Alaska - although the 100-degree days we've been getting in north Florida this week make us long for the chilly days of Vancouver and Alaska!

Working on finishing up our FE gifts today. Someone asked about labeling them as to who they are from - we usually do, but it's not necessary. We usually print out on blank address labels something like Happy Sailin' from NZDisneyMom.

I had some peel and stick "Hello My Name is..." name tags I was going to bring but it sounds like someone else is taking care of name tags for the Meet, so I'm taking them out of my packing box.

I finally got the last of the clothes needed for the trip (I hope!) - a couple more pairs of pants for the boys. If you see boys wearing pants that are "high waters", they "might" belong to me if I miscalculated in how much to pack.

I haven't read what the CC gift is, but the one we got on the Baltic last year was an across the shoulder day bag that was AWESOME - very roomy and easy to carry. I used it the entire trip plus now whenever we go to WDW, I take it. We are bringing ponchos with us - actually they are ones that DCL gave us on the Baltic when we went to Oslo and it was rainy that day - they were left in our stateroom. I had wondered whether DCL would do that for Alaska or not but somehow I think they probably won't - should check trip reports for previous sailings to find out.

We are bringing some shorts and some long pants / jeans and a couple of long sleeved shirts and short-sleeves. Jackets, too, although the boys don't have anything water-proof/resistant so I will likely buy something for them in Vancouver - I figure better selection there than what I could try to find here, plus then we don't have to "pack" it until time to come home.

We are getting our Vancouver days figured out. So far our plans are on Saturday to rest and then go to the Cupcakes shop, then over to Gastown to eat dinner at the Old Spaghetti Factory, then back to crash at the hotel. Sunday we will do either the Trolley or the Big Bus (probably the Trolley) for sight seeing and then the Meet at the Fairmont Pacific Rim lobby at 7:30. On Monday we'll be sight seeing with our friends Sandy and David (who I think will come to the Tuesday DIS meet - I wish she'd gotten onboard the DIS - she kept saying she'd try to do it), and then late Monday afternoon, we're going to meet some friends who live in North Vancouver by taking the SeaBus over to Lonsdale Quay and hanging out with them for a bit before heading back to the hotel for the Monday night 7:30 pm Meet at the Fairmont Pacific Rim lobby. Thanks to all who have let me know they'll be there. I'll keep an eye out for ya.

Today we're getting haircuts for the guys and gathering up all the non-clothes items that can be put into the packing box, finalizing the packing list, and doing things like stopping the mail. I called the bank and credit card companies yesterday to put travel alerts on our accounts.

Can't believe that this time next week, we'll be on our way! We are so looking forward to meeting all of you and enjoying this Alaskan adventure.

Oh - a coworker came back this week from an Alaskan cruise on Princess. He said he saw the Wonder in Juneau!

I too am finishing up before heading up north! Have a lot of work that needs to be done but am spending the weekend packing.

Bought waterproof spray, sea bands, bug spray, insect spray, over the door shoe rack, binoculars, and pop-up hamper.

I've also been roaming the boards for cruising tips--had no idea about charges on my iPhone so REALLY appreciate the information. All four of us have iPhones! Told my oldest DD that she is going to be without texting for a week--she is still going on the cruise but it was a tough decision! :rotfl:

Got my FE in the mail yesterday from a fellow DISer. Fantastic! Post pictures later. Finished FE gifts--and I did put our names on the gifts. All say from disneyochem with our first names. LOL, my girls who are 12 and 14 didn't want their names on the gifts to the tween and teen boys! My 14 year-old, who is not shy, was a little shy about this! So the boys' gifts just say from disneyochem!

Our plans:
Thursday, June 9 Anacortes, Washington
Friday, June 10: Ferry to Victoria Island
Saturday, June 11: Buchart Gardens
Sunday, June 12: High Tea at the Empress, kids are going to do Wildplay with Dad
Monday, June 13: Ferry to Vancouver, p.m. to go zoo, staying at Sheraton Wall Centre
Tuesday, June 14: Wonder!

Looking forward to seeing everyone then! Travel safely.

Just a little over a week to go and we aren't packed yet. Our FE gifts don't have a name on them. See you all on the 14th!

Haircuts, check! Afternoon nap instead of packing? Check!

We did find jackets for the boys while we were out today, so that's one less thing that we'll have to do in Vancouver. They are FSU, too, so all the better for us!

Hi to everyone in the group! We have been so busy with all the end of the school year stuff (I've been home schooling my 3 kids and my husband is a HS History teacher), and the kid's activities that I haven't been able to catch up in a while. School ended on Friday, so now we can try to get ready for the trip. This weekend is end of the year dance performances for all three of our kids (four shows in 3 days) and next week our son will compete in a dive regional in Knoxville. I have to leave Wednesday and won't be back until Sunday. Then, Monday morning, we are off to Seattle. From there we will drive to Vancouver and spend the night before the cruise. We are hoping to hit the aquarium in the morning before we board. We only wish that we had a little more time in Vancouver.

Matthew: I'm sure my DH would be pleased to share some history teacher insight with you.

With only 3 days to go before I head to Knoxville, I'm scrambling to pack, finish a father's day surprise for DH, and make sure everything is in order for the family since my husband will be leaving with the girls before I get home with our son. I have had to leave the job of making our FE to my daughter (although she is very creative and is actually the one who knows how to sew). I only hope that she gets it all done this week without too many super late nights.

I'm so sorry to hear about butler3 not being able to go, but I'm glad to hear that their daughter is going to be okay. Also I hope that you (DVCMARY) are feeling better.

Jennifer: Did you decide to try to participate in our FE group?

Have a great week! We are looking forward to meeting all of you next week.
Amy

Hi everyone. Stupid Comcast shut our modem off sometime while we were at church - I just got off the phone after an hour to discover that it had been listed as "lost" or "stolen" so it was shut down - which means I now have to take it to the Comcast office which is a 45 minute drive in the morning to trade it out - thankfully the support guy was able to force it to let us have internet access today. I could wait til Thursday for them to deliver one but golly, I have other things to do on Thursday besides wait for the cable guy, and other things to do Monday through Wednesday than to spend an hour on the phone waiting for them to reset the modem every day. Never mind that tomorrow is first official day of summer vacation and I have two teenagers who want to play their online games now that school is over. Gggrrrrrr.

But in other news, I have been thoroughly enjoying the trip reports online and have used them to help us narrow down our packing list! I wish I could just do all the laundry today and pack tonight and leave in the morning, but alas, we have four days before we do that.

Anyone else getting anxious to leave? Anyone else thinking this week is going to be super slow but super fast all at once?

Just starting to pack.

Any advice on whether to pack any shorts or capris for the family?

Thanks,

Irishbear

Cindy: Me Me Me - I'm getting anxious to leave. We have started piling but not packing. That will keep me busy this week i'm sure. I have to work until Friday this week. Long day tomorrow and then the remainder of the week will probably be spent in the "getting ready to leave" mode.

I will probably have one pair of capri's with me. Will be hard to leave New Orleans in my "winter" stuff. The temp will probably be in the 90's. So you may see me in the more than you want to if it is warmer than anticipated.

Take care :dance3::dance3:

As far as I can tell, we have our first families leaving tomorrow (Thumper & Bambi), with more to follow shortly thereafter. We wish you safe travels...by plane, car, or other means of transportation. We look forward to seeing everyone at the DisMeet, 3:00 PM on embarkation day (Day 1) in the Promenade Lounge, Deck 3.

I guess that means it's almost here!!!! :cool1:

--Drew

Hi everyone,

I'm getting so excited for our cruise!!! :cool1: T minus 4 days, 21 hours and 50 minutes to take off!

I am working on the nametags and had a question. Would you all prefer stickers or the card stock paper that you can put into your lanyard? I have both but was trying to figure out which would work better. I prefer the cards stick so that I can wear it all week, but am afraid that not everyone will have the lanyards.

Help! I have so much running around in my head right now, I can't make a decision. :confused3

Got the modem swapped out and put in a full day's work but got a few more "can you do this before you go?" requests - ugh. Don't these people understand I'm trying to be in vacation mode? I did get the freezer cleaned out last night - we have two frig's and will shut the old one down while we're away so I had to make room. Apparently we don't like broccoli as I found numerous bags stuck in the back from early 2010. Put them in the yard for the critters to eat.

Nathan's laundry is done for packing so as soon as I post this, I'm going to put aside the things he's taking so he'll be the first of us ready to go. Zachary gets his done tomorrow.

I don't have a preference about name tags.

I did call and confirm our hotel reservations today - all set for Vancouver!

Just checking in. We leave on Saturday. We're staying at the Sheraton Wall center.

We're thinking of driving the Sea to Sky Highway to Whistler. We're also considering the ferry to Vancouver Island.

Safe travels to everyone!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter