June 14, 2011 - Father's Day on the Wonder in ALASKA!

The reviews I'm reading suggest that some people where the shorts onboard. It sounds like we have to bring a little of everything. Thank goodness I have 2 rooms & we're not being charged for our luggage. My DH may not have a job w/ Motorola anymore, but during the many years they worked him to death sending him all over the world, he earned Gold for life status. :woohoo:

I'm finally in full "all I want to do is think about & get ready for this trip" mode. DH Scott has a "Honey Do" list w/ multiple pages since he's at home & I'm still working.

Matthew: Here's one of things that stinks about being a teacher. You have to pack up your entire room, lock everything you can, tape what you can't (so you'll know if someone got in--no one has dared so far), drag home what you can't find a place to secure it. Ugh! It's like moving out of the main room of your house every year. Why must I do this???? Summer school teachers have been known to walk off w/ things that are not secure. We always hire some people from outside the district (most of us want our summers). I was at school today from 8am to 10pm, had only 1 final to give out of 3 periods and I still have HOURS of work to do. Yuck! People never understand how many hours teachers put in outside the 7-3 school day: grading, planning, organizing, tutoring after school, & times like this.

We are not allowed to have our school picnic on Friday until 3pm (normally it's at 1pm) b/c of the current climate where many in the public are attacking teachers for making too much $, having an easy life, and a good pension. Besides the 50-60 hour work week most teachers put in our district we pay 9% of every paycheck into the state teacher's retirement system. We aren't eligible for Social Security, even if we have enough credits from working other jobs before becoming a teacher, summer jobs, or part-time jobs. The state of IL has borrowed from, improperly invested, & not paid their share in what of what they are supposed to pay. Ok, sorry I need to get off my soapbox. Can you tell I'm scared I won't have enough when I retire? Hopefully OH is better to their teachers than IL is at the moment.

Back to my happy place: dreaming & wondering how magical Alaska will be....:cloud9:

Don't print the sheet w/ room map out for yourself. I printed a color one for everyone today. :woohoo:

We got ink for the color printer & have been busying printing things for FEs, door magnets, etc. Since I didn't make the map this this time. Drew remembered me as way more talented than I really am. ;) I thought I could at least contribute w/ colored maps for everyone. It does make delivering much easier in those LONNNG hallways.

I'll give everyone a copy at the DIS Meet.

Did anyone get nametags? or make nametag badges for the lanyards for gifts? We need a way to learn each other names quickly.
It can be simple paper nametags if we want--nothing fancy required.

Or do you guys want to wear the green leis??? I've seen both done on previous cruises. The best was when I couldn't find our DIS Meet group at the Sail Away party & suddenly a green leis landed on my head. They were up on Deck 10. Someone accidentally dropped lost one in the wind & it fell on me. I looked up & saw all the people w/ green leis. I walked up to the "Drew" of that DIS Meet and asked her if she dropped in on me on purpose. :rotfl:

Any other ideas from previous DIS Meet groups?

I'm really getting excited finally. We'll be onboard in 2 weeks!! :banana:

Did anyone get nametags? or make nametag badges for the lanyards for gifts? We need a way to learn each other names quickly.
It can be simple paper nametags if we want--nothing fancy required.:

Thanks, Mary!!! I was trying to think of one last FE gift. I will take care of the nametags.

Don't print the sheet w/ room map out for yourself. I printed a color one for everyone today. :woohoo:

We got ink for the color printer & have been busying printing things for FEs, door magnets, etc. Since I didn't make the map this this time. Drew remembered me as way more talented than I really am. ;) I thought I could at least contribute w/ colored maps for everyone. It does make delivering much easier in those LONNNG hallways.

I'll give everyone a copy at the DIS Meet.

It can be simple paper nametags if we want--nothing fancy required.

Or do you guys want to wear the green leis??? I've seen both done on previous cruises. The best was when I couldn't find our DIS Meet group at the Sail Away party & suddenly a green leis landed on my head. They were up on Deck 10. Someone accidentally dropped lost one in the wind & it fell on me. I looked up & saw all the people w/ green leis. I walked up to the "Drew" of that DIS Meet and asked her if she dropped in on me on purpose. :rotfl:

Any other ideas from previous DIS Meet groups?

I'm really getting excited finally. We'll be onboard in 2 weeks!! :banana:

Okay, I must admit to almost falling out of my chair at the office when reading about "the 'Drew' of that DIS Meet"! :rotfl2: Thanks for the morning chuckle, Mary! I read it over the phone to Matthew, and he lost it too...hehe

Also, thank you for taking care of the maps...and I hate to disagree, but teachers ARE resourceful! :thumbsup2

Thanks, Mary!!! I was trying to think of one last FE gift. I will take care of the nametags.

Finally, thank you to Tina for volunteering with the nametags!!! :banana:

--Drew

We are not allowed to have our school picnic on Friday until 3pm (normally it's at 1pm) b/c of the current climate where many in the public are attacking teachers for making too much $, having an easy life, and a good pension. Besides the 50-60 hour work week most teachers put in our district we pay 9% of every paycheck into the state teacher's retirement system. We aren't eligible for Social Security, even if we have enough credits from working other jobs before becoming a teacher, summer jobs, or part-time jobs. The state of IL has borrowed from, improperly invested, & not paid their share in what of what they are supposed to pay. Ok, sorry I need to get off my soapbox. Can you tell I'm scared I won't have enough when I retire? Hopefully OH is better to their teachers than IL is at the moment.

:

Well 3/4 adults in my 2 rooms are also IL teachers :teacher:(the other is a FL teacher hoping to become a IL teacher), so believe me when I say that we completely agree with everything you posted and completely understand what you said. We are feeling the same way over here.

Finally finished and printed out online check-in. I also spend the weekend in Fl and packed DH. I have to admit I am pretty impressed with all that I was able to put into 1 suitcase.

I'll spend this weekend packing myself. 13 more days until the cruise, 10 more days until Vancouver, 9 more days until the last day of school, and 7 actual more days of school (yes, I do keep this countdown on my desk. If you were a teacher, you'd understand why. These last few weeks/days are tough!)

Pack? We're way behind on that one. I still have a couple of pairs of jeans I need to get shortened :guilty:

Sarah has exams for 3 days next week and will be done with school on Wednesday. Work has been crazy for me and will continue to be right down to the last Friday. Once they find find out you're going on vacation for more then 2 days, everyone has something they need to meet about!

A while ago I actually changed our flight out from Saturday to Monday 6/13 figuring that I would never be ready by Saturday and I'm so glad I did that. So Cindy, would love to see you all on Monday evening assuming we get in that afternoon as planned. We're at the Fairmont Waterfront so for those staying there, look for us. Sarah is Chinese (adopted in 1996) and I'm not so we sort of stand out as a mother-daughter combo.

Sarah is on the varsity lacrosse team as back up goalie for the playoffs and they just made the state semi-finals. Game is on Friday and if they win, they play for the championship on Saturday (the same day we have a graduation party and a Bat Mitzvah - when it rains it pours) so you can see where this weekend is heading :yay:

Well, back to FE gifts. We almost have them done and then I can figure out what is missing.

60 degree temps sound good. it was 100 today in Baton Rouge, so I'm looking forward to some cooler temperatures. There have been no showers to cool us off. The river is still high and we are in a burn ban because of drought! Crazy Crazy

We haven't started packing yet. I have begun stacking items that I don't want to forget, does that count as packing?? There is always next week for that!!

:

Hey DVC Mary, I know what you mean. I work for a community college in California (no longer faculty but an administator:))--things are bad in California too. Everything we do is under a microscope. I even had someone tell me that I make too much money if I can go on a cruise. So now I don't even tell people (besides close friends) what I'm doing on vacation! My MIL is a retired school teacher and my parents were teachers. One of my pet peeves is when folks say that teachers go on vacation. Uh no--teachers don't get vacation, those days are outside their regular contract!

But, happy place! So looking forward to getting out of the state and not having to deal with layoffs and program eliminations!

Almost packed. We are leaving next Wednesday (the 8th) and staying on Victoria Island for a few days. Will be in Vancouver on Monday (13th) and staying at the Sheraton Wall Centre. Anyone else there?

Hey DVC Mary, I know what you mean. I work for a community college in California (no longer faculty but an administator:))--things are bad in California too. Everything we do is under a microscope. I even had someone tell me that I make too much money if I can go on a cruise. So now I don't even tell people (besides close friends) what I'm doing on vacation! My MIL is a retired school teacher and my parents were teachers. One of my pet peeves is when folks say that teachers go on vacation. Uh no--teachers don't get vacation, those days are outside their regular contract!

QUOTE]

Thanks for understanding. I was an administrator for about 8 years & then said forget this stress, and focused on teaching & raising my own DSs. Did you teach chem before? My 14 DS :love: science of all types & can't wait to get into the lab science classes when he starts h.s.

SteffyLou: Thanks for understanding too. We'll have something to talk about & then forget about b/c we'll be on vacation.

Tina: Thanks for doing the nametags. I'm usually so sleep deprived my the time I make it to the cruise, my memory needs all the help it can get.

Wendy: Tell Sarah GOOD LUCK at her LaCrosse match! :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2: And good luck to you surviving the madness of your upcoming weekend. You need this cruise! :thumbsup2

Drew: There is always that one person who brings everyone else together. They just stand out in the meet group. Kay was the lovely lady's name from my 1st cruise. The whole group was there for me when Scott an emergency surgery for a burst appendix and I was sitting in the hospital w/ free wireless & my laptop. I posted one little thing & then the support just came poring in.

At least he had the courtesy to have his emergency last month. :rotfl: The 1st cruise he did it the week b4 the cruise. His evil boss kept calling me for updates on his condition & assumed we'd be cancelling our vacation since he was missing a week of work. I said "He's using sick leave while he's hospitalized" and his vacation next week will be "vacation days" that were approved 7 months ago. I think the cruise is just what he needs to relax & recover.

His surgeon was a DVC member, who told Scott he was cleared for all the roller coasters before our cruise. I could've killed the doc.

Scott just got cleared for whitewater rafting & ziplining today! Whistler here we come!!!! :woohoo: The PT & doc are happy w/ his back & hip's progress. I'm nervous about him doing this, but just like RRRC--there's no way I'm going to stop him.

Just wanted to update everyone on butler3. Her daughter was in a car accident and they will not be able to travel for the cruise. I spoke with them last night. No long term injuries.

Just wanted to update everyone on butler3. Her daughter was in a car accident and they will not be able to travel for the cruise. I spoke with them last night. No long term injuries.

Oh no!!! I hope she's ok. Lots of hugs and pixie dust on the way! :grouphug:

We'll miss you!

Pack? We're way behind on that one. I still have a couple of pairs of jeans I need to get shortened :guilty:

Sarah has exams for 3 days next week and will be done with school on Wednesday. Work has been crazy for me and will continue to be right down to the last Friday. Once they find find out you're going on vacation for more then 2 days, everyone has something they need to meet about!

A while ago I actually changed our flight out from Saturday to Monday 6/13 figuring that I would never be ready by Saturday and I'm so glad I did that. So Cindy, would love to see you all on Monday evening assuming we get in that afternoon as planned. We're at the Fairmont Waterfront so for those staying there, look for us. Sarah is Chinese (adopted in 1996) and I'm not so we sort of stand out as a mother-daughter combo.

Sarah is on the varsity lacrosse team as back up goalie for the playoffs and they just made the state semi-finals. Game is on Friday and if they win, they play for the championship on Saturday (the same day we have a graduation party and a Bat Mitzvah - when it rains it pours) so you can see where this weekend is heading :yay:

Well, back to FE gifts. We almost have them done and then I can figure out what is missing.

Congrats, Sarah! Best of luck in the lacrosse tournament! Matthew and I have really taken to watching college lacrosse on ESPN. They FINALLY started a varsity lacrosse team at his high school his senior year...if they had started any sooner, I'm sure he'd have participated.

We're at the Fairmont Waterfront as well. We'll keep an eye out for you as we wander the hotel. We're easy to spot as well...just look for a tall teenage boy with long (and I mean long) hair who will be dwarfing the gray-haired father next to him. Can't be many of THAT type of pair floating around the hotel! :rotfl2:

--Drew

Oh, no! Please tell them that they are in our thoughts and prayers. :grouphug:

Just like everyone else, we are running crazy here in Mississippi. Between dance recitals, end of school, and trying to get my business in shape to run without me for 3 weeks, we are quite busy. We are looking foward to seeing everyone on the ship. FE gifts are packed. We leave next Tuesday for our Cross country odessy. 7 days to see 10 states and one province with three kids in the car. We will either be a close family when we get to Vacouver or someone may be left along the way.

How sad! Please pass along our prayers & good wishes for a speedy recovery.

No more pre-cruise ER story telling like last night....I cursed myself.

I got a 2nd degree steam burn on my right forearm. I didn't realize how serious it was, until the blister grew & grew & grew.....eww! School nurse sent me to immed. care or ER. Now I'm the one that has to heal fast or no whitewater rafting for me in Whistler. RN said it was good that I was cruising to Alaska & not the Bahamas since it's such a huge area that is affected. I have to be careful not get it burned.

You can wait to ask me how I could be so stupid when you meet me.

I feel your pain. I just had a palm frond come down and hit and puncture me on the head. A few small scabs should be fixed so I got off ewasy. We did mild whitewater rafting a few years ago in whistler and loved it.

Larry

Almost packed. We are leaving next Wednesday (the 8th) and staying on Victoria Island for a few days. Will be in Vancouver on Monday (13th) and staying at the Sheraton Wall Centre. Anyone else there?

We will be in Victoria starting on the 11th. Staying at the Marriot. We come over on the 14th on the 9:30 Pacificcoach bus that takes us to the cruise terminal.

I found a limo company that for 112.71(including tip) is providing us a private SUV back to the airport. Company is called Time Limousine 888-416-1478.

Larry

Do we need to be on the FE list to participate? We have our FE, first cruise for me and my girls but my MIL has been on several. We are Disney Vacat. Club Members, have been for many many years.

I sent a message regarding getting on the list but havent seen our info added yet.

What info do you need from us to participate?
Thanks.
Jennifer

Do we need to be on the FE list to participate? We have our FE, first cruise for me and my girls but my MIL has been on several. We are Disney Vacat. Club Members, have been for many many years.

I sent a message regarding getting on the list but havent seen our info added yet.

What info do you need from us to participate?
Thanks.
Jennifer

Hi, Jenn...

Please review my response post to you dated 5/5/11, which stated the following:

"Hi, Jenn. Glad you are joining us on the cruise!

I'm sorry to say that we had set a deadline for announcing participation in the FE (4/10) that had already passed by the time you joined the thread. As long as there are no objections, I can add you to the list, and provide same to you...however, I can't make any assurances as to which (if any) participants might be able to have gifts for your stateroom, given that many have already started/completed their items.

Existing participants, I leave this for you to make your own individual determinations. It would be too complex at this point to get a "majority rules" vote.

I would need to have a PM from you (which means you need a minimum of 10 posts to send), with names and stateroom # for all participants. You've already given kids' ages. Also, if you want the spreadsheet version of the list, you would need to include your e-mail address in the PM.
In any case, we are glad that your family will be joining us on the cruise!

--Drew"

As of this point, you still have five posts, so you are unable to send PM's, which you'd need to send me your e-mail address and stateroom privately. Again, it's highly likely that many of the participants have already completed their FE gifts. I can include you on the list, but can not make any guarantees...but I need the above information which is in bold as quickly as possible.

Thanks,
Drew

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter