June-11 Trip: Are you Eating, Flying and Sailing Nuts? FINAL UPDATE 9/14

My first real day of DIS surfing and who do I find?! My youngest DD just graduated from college and had my DDad and his not so DGF with us for a week.

Best of luck to your DD on this last year of IB. Both of our DDs have their IB diploma, so we know it's not been an easy path for her. My DDs extend their pens in "friendship" if another person needs to look over her extended essay, which I know she's started on...4000 words worth.;)

I can't wait for the surprises. I KNEW you wouldn't visit without letting us in on all the details. :thumbsup2

The Rent-a-cop was on the phone at the bar and he admonished me for taking pictures at the pool. “Some people are sensitive you know about getting their picture taken.” OK, it is midnight, there is no one at the pool and you are talking to me about taking pictures. After I asked him who I am going to bother I told him, “Don’t worry, I didn’t take a picture of you goofing off on the phone.” I then asked him if he knew who I was. I explained that I am Len Testa with thousands of loyal Disney fans that listen to my opinion and publish an annual Orlando Guide read by millions. I could make or break his hotel. Just ask your boss. OK, that last part wasn’t true but I wish I would have thought of it.

:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:
Yeah, too bad you didn't think of the Len Testa line on the spot. That would have been hilarious! You should have just turned and took a picture of him on the phone.:thumbsup2

I wouldn't miss one of your TRs...they're almost (not quite, oh all right, not even close) as good as being there myself!

Don't "panic" about this being your last year of WDW w/your DD...I spent all 4 of DS's high school years thinking each WDW trip was going to be the last one when he'd (1) want to and (2) have time to go to WDW w/his mother...

Didn't work out that way...his first year in college he talked me into (bribed me!) buying DVC...promised to come to WDW w/me for every T-giving (absent some reason we'd both find compelling that might prevent it--work is work, after all; and sickness and family emergencies do happen)...

He's now starting his last year of law school, after 6 years of DVC ownership and at least 2 (sometimes 3) trips per year...and now I'm "worrying" that post law school he won't have time (even if he wants to) go do WDW w/his mother every year...

But I've learned my lesson: he loves WDW as much as I do...and our time there is even better, now that he's a full adult, than it was when he was still a kid...

I'll bet you a hot fudge sundae your DD is the same...after all, both my DS and your DD experienced (at least the threat of) the "leash of shame!"

Great start so far:cool1: Love the pics.:goodvibes

Thanks.

I quite enjoy reading your trip reports. I hope we get a full report but no pressure. Heading down on Tuesday for a mother/son trip. Enjoy and have fun!:yay:

Hope you are having/had a great time.

Packed already! I'm impressed:thumbsup2

Thanks for the DHS info ( think we will stick with Epcot), and thanks for the good wishes and, yes, the kids just say they're going to 'yoonie' over here;)

Hope you have a great trip- even if it is Sunday before you get away.

You can’t beat Illuminations anytime, let alone the 4th of July.

Woo Hoo!!!! Thanks for writing a trip report -you just made my day....maybe even my week!

Kim

Very nice of you to say. I think this is going to last more than a week. It may take a decade for me to get through.

Great trip report. Our daughter is only 2 and my husband is already planning things for a daddy/daughter trip. Granted it will be when she is much older, but he can't wait.

She was about 4 when we did a day together on the way back to Miami. The most stress I had was when she had to go to the bathroom. That was before they had all these companion bathrooms.

Since then, there have been multiple Daddy/Daughter trips. It is fun going from Dumbo to Splash to R&R coaster as she got older. Tell him not to wait too long.

So glad you're writing this! Love the bit about how tired DD was after an hour and 1/2 of driving...

That was the first time she drove for an extended time on a highway. Even though she went on the shoulder twice, it was a nice break for me.

Tinks "SS";41578568 said:
OMG!! i don't get on my puter for 2 days and he is giving us a TR!:worship:

Thanks!! great start. love the getting lost part and my boys would have been begging to stop at the midway. they are spoiled by the mouse but won't pass up another little thrill strip. Ready for more.:surfweb:

We should have stopped. I am a navigation savant except when I am in Orlando. I always make a wrong turn at least once a trip. I don’t know what it is.

great first day!!! the not being able to sleep the night before is a killer. happens to me every time.:thumbsup2

Have enjoyed the pics you posted for the Contemporary. Too bad our trips did not mesh. You were arriving just as we were leaving. I made up for losing sleep during the trip.

My first real day of DIS surfing and who do I find?! My youngest DD just graduated from college and had my DDad and his not so DGF with us for a week.

Best of luck to your DD on this last year of IB. Both of our DDs have their IB diploma, so we know it's not been an easy path for her. My DDs extend their pens in "friendship" if another person needs to look over her extended essay, which I know she's started on...4000 words worth.;)

I can't wait for the surprises. I KNEW you wouldn't visit without letting us in on all the details. :thumbsup2

Ah, the extended essay. They started on it in their sophomore year. She is supposed to get a lot of it done over the summer. They have their own study group helping each other. That and other IB stuff. I will let you know if she needs someone to look over it.

Congrats to you and your daughters. Not only is IB tough on the kids, it is also tough on the parents. The kids were dropping like flies last year. A friend of mine had her twins graduate this year and told me the senior year would be cake after October. I told her not when there are 5 IB tests and one AP test at the end of the year.

I was pretty much done deal that this one had to be documented after the first couple of days. We had too much fun to not write it down.

:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:
Yeah, too bad you didn't think of the Len Testa line on the spot. That would have been hilarious! You should have just turned and took a picture of him on the phone.:thumbsup2

Wish I would have thought of both.

I wouldn't miss one of your TRs...they're almost (not quite, oh all right, not even close) as good as being there myself!

Don't "panic" about this being your last year of WDW w/your DD...I spent all 4 of DS's high school years thinking each WDW trip was going to be the last one when he'd (1) want to and (2) have time to go to WDW w/his mother...

Didn't work out that way...his first year in college he talked me into (bribed me!) buying DVC...promised to come to WDW w/me for every T-giving (absent some reason we'd both find compelling that might prevent it--work is work, after all; and sickness and family emergencies do happen)...

He's now starting his last year of law school, after 6 years of DVC ownership and at least 2 (sometimes 3) trips per year...and now I'm "worrying" that post law school he won't have time (even if he wants to) go do WDW w/his mother every year...

But I've learned my lesson: he loves WDW as much as I do...and our time there is even better, now that he's a full adult, than it was when he was still a kid...

I'll bet you a hot fudge sundae your DD is the same...after all, both my DS and your DD experienced (at least the threat of) the "leash of shame!"

She will always be a Disney fanatic. I took care of that at a young age. We will be going together when she is in college. Can’t wait until she asks if she can bring that “special person” on a trip. “Dad would it be OK if we get a separate studio.” “Umm, NO. He can sleep in the car. The chairs recline.”

Thanks for the kind words and reminding me about the leash of shame. What a great idea.

popcorn::
YEAH! So excited, I love your TR's and can't wait for more!!!

Thanks. I should have the next installment up by the weekend.

Hi Len,
glad to see this trip report.
About to have a short weekend at wdw with my Son( taking him dragging and screaming) before he goes to college. he's not happy to go anywhere with mom. Luckily, he has a few friends in Orlando. My how time flies.
Making a stop at Lee and Ricks this time, hope they are their same selves.

She will always be a Disney fanatic. I took care of that at a young age. We will be going together when she is in college. Can’t wait until she asks if she can bring that “special person” on a trip. “Dad would it be OK if we get a separate studio.” “Umm, NO. He can sleep in the car. The chairs recline.”

:rotfl: You're too generous...my DH would hand him a blanket and say "He can sleep in a lounge chair at the pool."

BTW, you had me in stitches:rotfl2: finding your way back to the hotel. I read it to my youngest DD and she even started laughing because that was us the night I couldn't find my way back to AKV. It has been become a family joke now...do not let Mom drive in Orlando...DO NOT!!! Although, this last trip, I had to rent a car to go to my meetings, but I went to the convention center and back, no side trips.

I am at home, supposed to be unpacking boxes from our move, but here I am reading your trip report. So glad you wrote it - I'll need the breaks! Love the first day. Sounds like fun memories were made. I think we've ALL gotten lost in Orlando. My husband and I lived there for the CP, and still find ways of getting lost. I blame the city planners - I think they move restaurants and shops so that my landmarks get confused. :rolleyes1

Can’t wait until she asks if she can bring that “special person” on a trip. “Dad would it be OK if we get a separate studio.” “Umm, NO. He can sleep in the car. The chairs recline.”

This had me laughing out loud. I think you are too generous about the car. Perhaps he can find an off site hotel to enjoy. :rotfl:

Well finally. It is about time you got started on this report! I have to leave in just three days and I NEED a Disney fix before braving the world with Miss Goofy (daughter), (no spouse and no gaggle of friends going with us). I guess I will just have to bring a computer so I can keep up with your surprises.

Off to pack now. I will check back in later.

:woohoo:

So glad you decided to your TR.
What a great start and really looking forward to reading some more before we head out:thumbsup2

So funny that you got lost - I don't think we have ever made a trip without taking the wrong turn somewhere between MCO and WDW. In fact I am now the proud owner of a sat-nav solely for our Disney trips -unfortunately it's in my OL:headache: (why did I think that was a good idea?)

About to have a short weekend at wdw with my Son( taking him dragging and screaming) before he goes to college. he's not happy to go anywhere with mom. Luckily, he has a few friends in Orlando. My how time flies.

You need to send him to Disney Boot camp. Or maybe get him interested in the college program. I am trying to plant that seed in DD’s mind.

:rotfl: You're too generous...my DH would hand him a blanket and say "He can sleep in a lounge chair at the pool."

BTW, you had me in stitches:rotfl2: finding your way back to the hotel. I read it to my youngest DD and she even started laughing because that was us the night I couldn't find my way back to AKV. It has been become a family joke now...do not let Mom drive in Orlando...DO NOT!!! Although, this last trip, I had to rent a car to go to my meetings, but I went to the convention center and back, no side trips.

I like that idea. Not sure he would need a blanket, it is Florida after all.

I have explained before, I am a navigation savant. When I was a kid, I would be navigator on our family trips. I could not only tell my Dad where we were and where we are going, I could tell him time elapsed from the last checkpoint and time to our next pit stop. A few years ago, I drove all through Europe and did not get lost once. Something about Disney and Orlando that gets me turned around. They have signs everywhere and I still take the long way to reach my destination. Notice I didn’t say lost.

I am at home, supposed to be unpacking boxes from our move, but here I am reading your trip report. So glad you wrote it - I'll need the breaks! Love the first day. Sounds like fun memories were made. I think we've ALL gotten lost in Orlando. My husband and I lived there for the CP, and still find ways of getting lost. I blame the city planners - I think they move restaurants and shops so that my landmarks get confused. :rolleyes1

This had me laughing out loud. I think you are too generous about the car. Perhaps he can find an off site hotel to enjoy. :rotfl:

See above. An offsite hotel would cost money. I think he will be relegated to a chair at the pool. Glad you are enjoying the TR. Make hubby unpack you have important work to do on the computer.

Well finally. It is about time you got started on this report! I have to leave in just three days and I NEED a Disney fix before braving the world with Miss Goofy (daughter), (no spouse and no gaggle of friends going with us). I guess I will just have to bring a computer so I can keep up with your surprises.

Off to pack now. I will check back in later.

:woohoo:

Come on, I have only been home a few days. Thought of you when I saw these at the store in the Boardwalk. They actually had DVC and resort specific stuff. Not much but at least it is a start. I didn’t buy this shirt but I did get a DVC shirt and a DVC travel mug.

IMG_1872.jpg

IMG_1869.jpg

Hope you and Miss Goofy have a great time. Later I will be retelling the joys and pitfalls of bringing the computer.

So glad you decided to your TR.
What a great start and really looking forward to reading some more before we head out:thumbsup2

So funny that you got lost - I don't think we have ever made a trip without taking the wrong turn somewhere between MCO and WDW. In fact I am now the proud owner of a sat-nav solely for our Disney trips -unfortunately it's in my OL:headache: (why did I think that was a good idea?)

This is making me feel better. At least I am not alone. From now on I am assigning the kid to be sole navigator. If we miss a turn, it will be her fault.

So glad to see your trip report. Always wonderful!

I've got two college-aged dds myself, we're planning a trip for their Christmas Break this year. DD#1 is graduating in December....time really does fly. We've been thrilled that they are still very happy to go with us (AND that we've not *yet* have to send anyone to a pool chair!....such a GREAT idea though). :rotfl2:

Ummm, did you take the Mine photo just for me? :lmao: The next time you stay in a grand villa you will need to take a photo of you in your "mine" shirt standing inside the villa. MINE, MINE, MINE, MINE, MINE

I am glad you are healing well. It must have been a very stressful time for you and your daughter. Where did she stay while you were in the hospital? With #1?

TWO MORE DAYS! :banana:

So glad to see your trip report. Always wonderful!

I've got two college-aged dds myself, we're planning a trip for their Christmas Break this year. DD#1 is graduating in December....time really does fly. We've been thrilled that they are still very happy to go with us (AND that we've not *yet* have to send anyone to a pool chair!....such a GREAT idea though). :rotfl2:

Thanks for the comment on the TR. Time does fly by. Like you, I don’t think I will have a lot of trouble convincing her to go to Disney with me. Congrats to DD#1. Next milestone – a JOB.

Ummm, did you take the Mine photo just for me? :lmao: The next time you stay in a grand villa you will need to take a photo of you in your "mine" shirt standing inside the villa. MINE, MINE, MINE, MINE, MINE

I am glad you are healing well. It must have been a very stressful time for you and your daughter. Where did she stay while you were in the hospital? With #1?

TWO MORE DAYS! :banana:

My fault, I was unclear in the post. When I saw the shirt, I was thinking about your COMMENT on my tendency to clearly define what was mine and what the space the kids could occupy in the Grand Villa. It was very funny and true.

DD split time between 1 and 2. It was stressful and I am doing much better.

If you bring your computer for the trip, make sure you bring the power cord. Trust me, I know (hint of things to come).

Day 1, Part 1 - Checking into the AKL and slurping Tea

The plan was for me to wake up early in the morning, drive over to the Kidani Village at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. Thinking like always I would wake up early, I did not set an alarm. Light shining through a small break in the drapes woke me up. Yep. It is a little before 10 (this is a recurring theme throughout the trip). Not a problem today because we have until 11:00 before check out. Once DD is scrubbed and painted we bring our few pieces of luggage to the car and off we go.

First stop was at Wynn-Dixie for some perishables. Normally, I am a Publix snob but this is one of their newer stores and has a good selection. It is also near Lake Buena Vista. We both are dressed in our finery (not our Sunday Going to Meeting clothes) because we have Afternoon Tea at 3:30. And yes, I said Tea. I am confident enough in my own manhood to eat little dainty sandwiches and drink from a fine china cup. Anyway, back to AKL.

One of the best signs on the entire planet
IMG_1100.jpg

Pulled in at Kidani and left the bazillion bags with bell services. I noted the bags that needed to be stored in their Refrigerator. Check-in was smooth but somehow forgot the CM’s name. Naturally the room wasn’t ready. Hence our pre-planning and already wearing our finery. She gave us a map with the general area of the room and told us if we would like, a text could be sent when it was ready. Sure, why not. Maybe this time they will actually send the text. Unlike BLT, Kidani has a separate check-in, bell services and valet. Like this setup better.

Home again. Well, one of them at least. My real home comes later in the week.
IMG_0332.jpg

IMG_0334.jpg

IMG_0365.jpg

IMG_0333.jpg

The store
IMG_0340.jpg

The lobby
IMG_0342.jpg

Sanaa. Never eaten there and probably will not for a long while. I checked the menu and nothing really appealed to me.
IMG_0364.jpg

One the way to the resort, I had a proud Disney Dad moment. Out of the blue DD announces, “People just don’t get it.” “Get what?” “I had some friends say ‘You are going to Disney again?’ they just don’t get it.” They don’t know how to do Disney. All they think of is Disney means standing in lines. They don’t do it like we do. There is some much more to going than the parks. We don’t stand in lines, or just eat hamburgers.” “So you will be going to the World when you are older?” “Of course. That’s a dumb question.” She was raised right. My work here is done.

Killed some time strolling the resort and saw the lions and tigers and bears. Well, the Giraffes, Ankole and Zebras. No Red River Hogs. Got to the car again and we headed to the Grand Floridian and High Tea. Yes, I said tea! Once at the GF, we had time so we explored.

Then a major error occurred. We were walking around and I say, “why don’t we check out Narcoossee’s? We are eating there later in the week.” DOH!!! “What, did you say?” “Ummmm. Ahhhh. I said we need to do Park Choosies.” “What?” “You know, Park Choosies – where we decide what parks we are going to visit.” “Dad, we already know what parks we are going to each day because of the ADRs.” Tough when your kid is a WDW veteran and you let her into the planning stage.

Yes, she broke me so I confessed. One of the three surprises was dinner at Narcoossee’s and I blew it. Oh well better luck with the other two. While the surprise blown, we went over there to check out the place.
IMG_1018.jpg

There are a couple of things on the menu I would like to try.
IMG_1019-1.jpg

We needed to head over to the Magic Kingdom so I could purchase the Table and Wonderland card. We took the boat over which is a nice relaxing way to get to the MK. Scenic too.
IMG_1021-1.jpg

IMG_1022-1.jpg

IMG_1027.jpg

The Wedding Pavilion
IMG_1033.jpg

IMG_1035.jpg

IMG_1037.jpg

It took more than a few minutes because everyone needed to tell the CMs at Guest Services their life stories. “I’m coming to Disney with my 4 Uncles, 3 Aunts, 16 Brothers and Sisters, 26 Nephews and Nieces, plus my 4 kids. Oh yea, and my husband. Anyway they have this thing called park hoppers. Can you explain how do I hop to other parks, can I take a bus or do I have to hop?...” Nothing and I mean nothing bugs me more than people who wait until they are being served until they begin to think about what they want to do. Have to save the pretty purple pills for the stress when DD gets ready so I didn’t take one here. Could have used it though.

I finally get to a Guest Services CM and we quickly buy the card. Then a monorail ride back to the GF. Tea started at 2, YES I SAID TEA, and we went to the podium to see if they could get us in early. No problem and we were quickly escorted to our cushy sofa and seat.

The Garden View Terrace
IMG_1049.jpg

IMG_1050.jpg

The waitress came by and I asked to start off with a glass of ice tea. “We don’t serve traditional ice tea.” What? “You can order any of our tea blends and we will put them on ice for you.” OK. At least I will get ice tea.

See.
IMG_1051.jpg

Mine was the Gardenview Tea Room Blend which is specially blended for them. Also available for purchase at about a billion dollars for 4 oz. of tea leaves. DD had one of the specials they were showcasing, a Lychee concoction (the lighter tea in the background). Mine was very good, hers was pretty gross. She liked it but I thought it was awful. When I asked to try it she responded, “You know you are not going to like it.” Smart A**. I am a tea purist, just lemon. No sugar or tea made from froo froo stuff like herbs and nuts. I tried to fake that I liked it just to prove a point but it was so awful that I couldn’t pull it off. “See,” the Smart A** said.

For food, DD order the Buckingham Palace - Traditional tea sandwiches, scones and jam tarts complemented by fresh strawberries and cream, or a selection of freshly baked pastries, along with your choice of tea. $19.50 per guest.

She had to of course have only the vegetarian sandwiches so she got extra egg and cucumber.
IMG_1052.jpg

Yummy.
IMG_1059.jpg

Missed taking pics of the scones and tart. Both were good. Clotted cream is the best. She blew off the strawberries and cream for a choice of the pastries. One was hazelnut moose dipped in chocolate, and the other was this cream thing. She gave me a taste of each (nice kid). Both were very good.
IMG_1060.jpg

I ordered a la carte with the British Cheese Plate - A selection of traditional British cheeses, served with an array of seasonal fruit $12.50 and a Plate of Assorted Tea Sandwiches – Shrimp, egg, chicken, pear with cheese and cucumber $8.50.

The cheeses were varied and tasty. DD is also a cheese nut so I shared with her (nice dad).
IMG_1054.jpg

The shrimp was the best of the bunch. The pear and cheese thing was interesting.
IMG_1053.jpg

The waitress was kind enough to take a picture of the two of us. Thank you so much. Just what I need. I lost about 30 pounds in the hospital. Even though I have a healthy appetite, I haven’t gained much of it back. That is who I am right now so I go with it. No alternative.
IMG_1056.jpg

Overall, I enjoyed tea. YES, I HAD TEA AND ENJOYED IT! This is one of DD’s favorite things to at the World (and outside the World) so why not. The food was well prepared and flavorful especially the shrimp “sandwich.” I didn’t leave there starving but was not full either. Total price was $48.02 with discount plus tax and tip.

And for all you that are wondering, no, I did not drink with my pinky out.

Out of picture space, so the room reveal will be in the next update.

Up next: Day 1 Part 2: Your room is ready. AKA Where are the Red River Hogs?

Thanks for your wonderful trip report. I am so enjoying it! The tea is one of my favorite things to do at Disney too and I drag my Dh with me. He also gets iced tea and just loves it. His favorite, the strawberries!

Can't wait to read more!!

Cyndi

i've really enjoyed the tea photos!! i've done it twice now and love it. i've gone with my BFF and this time we took our moms to the world with us and did tea. We had such a good time there. i will probably never get my boys or DH to go with me unless i really dig up some good dirt on them. :lmao: maybe i need to work on that;).

love the rest of it. thanks for the updates.

Loving the TR so far, you just make me chuckle! I'm so glad you gave info on the tea, it's something I've always wanted to try, but never did. I'm putting that on my definite list now and will plan on it on our big trip next year. I think it would be something sweet for me and my niece to do together.

No pressure or anything, but I'm ready for the next installment.n:goodvibes

What a lovely day - looks like you are your daughter really enjoyed your tea at the Grand Floridian - it looks delicious. Hope to try it someday - never been to Narcoossees either so looking forward to hearing all about that too:thumbsup2 Had to laugh at you slip up about that as thats just the sort of thing I do all the time (I am hopeless at keeping secrets when it comes to our WDW trips!)

Hope to see you next update soon!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter