June 1, 2009 - Southwest up and running as participating for RAC at Pop Century

TDC Nala

1937, what a year that was
The luggage guys at Pop Century wanted to make sure we knew the RAC service started today for Southwest.

I checked my bags through RAC this morning and got the SWA boarding pass, which the TSA guy stared at a long time, guess he never saw one with Mickey's face on it before. Let's hope it's working because I would like to see my luggage in Baltimore (am at MCO now.) Even the DME bus driver didn't know about it.

Thanks for that info

Did you do a check-in (@24hr mark) or just let them do it for you . What BP# did you get.

Weather here in B-more is great shouldn't have any delays lol.

It's been reported that POP is the Test for this before it goes WDW wide.

I did the check-in myself yesterday.

My number is A 58 but I forgot to check in until 45 minutes after the flight time.

That's great that was my only concern . it is nice that they can do the reprint for you .

Thanks again for the updates maybe in 2 weeks (well 3+ when we head back home) we will be able to use it if other resorts start picking it up lol

Can you use RAC if you are not riding ME back to the airport? I am staying at Pop 6/17-6/24.

Thanks!

Scott

The luggage guys at Pop Century wanted to make sure we knew the RAC service started today for Southwest.

I checked my bags through RAC this morning and got the SWA boarding pass, which the TSA guy stared at a long time, guess he never saw one with Mickey's face on it before. Let's hope it's working because I would like to see my luggage in Baltimore (am at MCO now.) Even the DME bus driver didn't know about it.

Can you use RAC if you are not riding ME back to the airport? I am staying at Pop 6/17-6/24.

Thanks!

Scott

I believe they are two separate things. Check the "Sticky" at top of forum....Disney's Magical Express.. What "Participating Airline" really means. Very clear explanation of RAC vs Magical Express there. :thumbsup2

I can only hope it is running from SSR on 7/3. It would certainly make life easier travelling with our kids, their spouses and our 2 grandsons (2yrs and 8 months).

Oh this would be great for us if the AKV participate soon as well.
Going on 6/13-6/20 with 4 adults and 1 toddler. It would be nice not have to lug all that luggage back to MCO

Wow...Are all the resorts expected to participate? Is this a trial or can I expect this to be in place for our August trip?:)

Is this a surprise? I read a thread about this last week....Debating when SW would finally come on board??

It has been a debate for years (or probably since RAC was at WDW ;)). Yes you can use RAC without using DME, they are 2 100% separate things. I would expect that once they make sure everything is working like it's supposed to, that SW will be a full participating carrier. Of course I have no insider info, just my own thoughts. Of course they could decide it's not for them and drop it, or they could pick to only do it with values or something like that. Who knows how long the 'trial' will last or when we'll find out more specifics. Only time will tell :thumbsup2

the luggage got back to BWI fine - in fact it was the first off the plane.

Word is that RAC for SWA is operating right now at Pop Century only and if all goes well will be expanded to other resorts.

The only thing I do not know is if it would be better to have RAC check you in for your flight. I don't know if they'll do the check-in at the 24 hour mark or not. I might continue to do it myself with my phone and just have them give me the boarding pass.

Yes you can use RAC if you are not riding the DME bus. They are separate services.

That's great! I hope it's open to more resorts soon. We'll be at the BW in August and it would be wonderful if it was operational then.

I would love for them to extend this to DCL. Their current onboard check in is awesome but we switch to Airtran to fly home just so we can use this service. I'd love to have SWA participate!!

I was so happy to see this information in my allearsnet newletter :goodvibes I love this service, but also love Southwest - now I can have both!

I'm excited about this!

If we check in via computer 24 hours in advance and get our boarding passes printed then, could we still use the RAC service for luggage??

Terrific! Any idea how long this test runs? We check out of Pop on 6/25 and our SW flight isn't until 9pm. I love that we can now completely not worry about our luggage all day. I guess we'll check in 24 hrs in advance at SW using dh's iphone but then the RAC can print the boarding pass since we have no printer??

Unveiling it at Pop Century first?

Goes to show that the value resorts are not always last in line or lower in priority for benefits and features other than features only to be seen at deluxes or moderates.

Or is being the guinea pig a disadvantage?

Most people will prefer to continue to try to check in 24 hours before flight time to improve their seating chances.

How many other folks at the airport on other business will feel peeved when they see so many in line ahead of them with Mickey heads on their boarding passes? (It is not necessary or desirable to show your boarding pass to another passenger on demand unless he shows his to you first.)

Disney hints: http://www.cockam.com/disney.htm

The OP checked in online, around 23 hours in advance, and used RAC to reprint the BP and check luggage. I agree many people will contine to check in around 24 hours in advance but can now use RAC to check bags.

POP has more rooms then any other resort. A good test resort.

Unveiling it at Pop Century first?

Most people will prefer to continue to try to check in 24 hours before flight time to improve their seating chances.

How many other folks at the airport on other business will feel peeved when they see so many in line ahead of them with Mickey heads on their boarding passes? (It is not necessary or desirable to show your boarding pass to another passenger on demand unless he shows his to you first.)

Disney hints: http://www.cockam.com/disney.htm

I wonder which resort is next in line?

POP is the largest resort. I don't think they'll need to try it out in any other resorts. Unless adding SW requires adding more terminals, staff and storage space I'd expect the rest of the resorts would be added at almost the same time.

Given the state of the economy I'll speculate RAC will select longer lines over the alternative of adding more staff/terminals.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter