June 07 Trip Reviews Part 1

Telynn

DIS Veteran
Wow, time flies when you're not paying attention! We went to WDW and stayed at the AKL without the dining plan (In-laws paid for rooms and tickets!) June 8-12

AKL Room Service - Expensive but convienient if you do not wish to go to a restaurant. We both had the hamburger to order; hubby had fries as side and I had fruit. The meal tasted good and was delivered hot and in a timely manner. Noting spectacular as it was a burger.

Boma - Dinner buffet was amazing! The restaurant was quite full, but we were able to obtain a seating for 9 (6 adults, 2 kids, 1 toddler) without advanced reservations (maybe because we were staying there at AKL?)

The meal was everything I read it would be. There were dishes that everyone--including a VERY picky eater--enjoyed. Not to miss is the Lobster Bisque. It's seasoned just right and sang of the sea! Also, the Zebra Dome dessert was fantastic! (BTW, there is a warning sign that it contains alchohol. They use Kaluha in these but it is not overwhelming.)

The only "miss" was the prime rib at the carving station. Hubby tried this and said it was "blah." I think that it was set to be an option for those not feeling adventurous enough to try the marinated flank stake or other options at the carving station.

- Breakfast Buffet was so-so. We went here after Kona Cafe and Mara and were not impressed. The hot food was a bit on the cool side and not the freshest. Overall we had better breakfasts at Mara.

Mara - Most mornings we did breakfast here. There is a fine selection at this counter service location. We are big breakfast eaters so we had the big breakfast plate (scrambled eggs, 1 slice bacon, 1 large sausage link, 1 biscuit, and 1 mickey waffle), a piece of fruit (the pineapple was fantastic!), and a beverage.

Kona Cafe - We went here specifically for the Tonga Toast. Being diabetic, we split one Tonga Toast plate and one egg plate. We were not disappointed. The Tonga Toast was FANTASTIC!!! It was sweet and moist enough that we did not need the maple syrup.

Hollywood and Vine - Entire family ate here and loved it. There was enough variety to please everyone. We arrived early for our reservation due to a downpour and, although we were unable to all be at the same table, we were seated next to each other. The downpour made the restaurant more crowded then I thought it would normally be (people were not leaving when they were done eating), but the service was still fast and efficient.

Yorkshire County Fish Shop - The entire family of 9 also ate here. All had the Fish and Chips basket. The older kids at the fries but refused to try the flakey fish fillets. Personally, this was a bit greasier than I remembered, but they were still good. In-laws said that, except for being served in paper baskets, the fish and chips tasted like what they had when they went to England.

Part 2: Hubby and I on our own

Enjoyed reading your reviews ~ Thanx for sharing.

Thansk for the reviews - glad to hear the Tonga Toast lived up to its reputation. I am looking forward to trying it in August :)

I loved the Zebra Domes and am going to try my hand at making them soon....Yummy!

So glad to hear that you enjoyed Hollywood and Vine. We have been going there ever since they started the Fantasmic Dinner Package and we like it. Maybe not LOVE it, but we have not found it TERRIBLE as it is so often described.

We will see if things go well again in a couple of weeks. :)

Yes, Hollywood and Vine was not terrible as many have described. It was basic and good. It was a restaurant buffet that does its best to please everyone without being surprisingly different. Those who are looking for the basics (no really unusual fare), traveling with groups or traveling with children will not be disappointed with their fare.

We will probably do this restaurant again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter