• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

jumped the shark?

wilde_oscar

DIS Veteran
not sure how to put this with out sounding like a naysayer saying nay but...

Is anyone else puzzled by the new direction of the show?

Long interviews with folks promoting product & a rant that is pretty hotly political when Pete had stated controversial political rants were to be avoided. I have been listening on my drive home from camping in the mountains, and while I understand that all things change... just not sure that things seem as fun and light hearted as they used to? Or am I just not getting it after sleeping in a tent on a mountain for a week?

IMHO - Bawb was so integral, I think we should expect some "finding a direction" pains. They can't possibly be as lighthearted as before *yet*, and Bawb was the spark for so much of that in the past.

On the up side, more prizes!! (Many Disney podcasts shill for their product but don't give away stuff), a less isolationist approach regarding the online Disney community and other podcasts...

For my part, I'm for giving them the benefit of the doubt for a time. These people, especially Pete, have shown their integrity over and over. Drive back safely! :flower3:

IMHO - Bawb was so integral, I think we should expect some "finding a direction" pains. They can't possibly be as lighthearted as before *yet*, and Bawb was the spark for so much of that in the past.

I agree it is growing pains. They will bring it all back around just give it time.

I enjoyed the Kevin Yee interview today - but I do have to say that one of the reasons I love the DIS Unplugged podcast so much is because of interaction of the podcasters and all of their chit chat. I am just not sure I want a long interview every week - every so often would suit me just fine.

I don't see how this rant is any different from any other Pete Rant, wildeoscar. It is within the bounds of Disney news, as it is a political statement made by a grandstanding employee of Disney that we're really talking about here. Add in the fact that visitors to the Orlando area might want to be made aware that that grumpy employee waiting on you at the Super Walmart in Davenport could be packing, and it is very appropriate news.

The rant portion of it is something I look forward to. This is a podcast. The podcasters are entitled to their opinion, and can advertise anything they like. When I think about how much money they give away every week, I'm amazed they haven't plugged their supporters more heavily.

I was actually just thinking about the change in the show this afternoon. After seeing yet another interview with an outside party, I am undecided as to whether or not I like it yet. I think ideally I prefer the crew sitting around talking about Disney. A caller/interview here and there is okay, but I wouldn't want to have that every week.

I came to the party late, in early April, and after Bawb's passing took the opportunity to download and listen to ALL available podcasts to date, in the space of a couple of weeks. :eek:

What I have noticed is that the podcast has changed its personality over time, an impression probably due in large part to my increasing familiarity with the cast. I think by listening to all the podcasts one after another I really noticed the changes in the show more readily. Losing Bawb seemed to make the entire podcast "mature" - I'm not sure we would be able to go back now if we wanted to.

I am enjoying the changes, and find myself not-so-patiently waiting until the show goes up each week to find out what my virtual "friends" are up to. I am enjoying the interviews tremendously, and have had positive experiences from both parties (I've used Jane's Pixies in the past a couple of times very successfully, and love MiceAge.com!). I would not want all segments to be for people only for people trying to sell the service or product, but feel comfortable that the gang will make sure the podcasts don't turn in to paid advertisements.

With new folks joining, I am sure we will continue to see changes as the group finds their collective voice - I'll stay tuned.

(and I love to hear a patented "Pete Rant" anytime I can!!) :thumbsup2

Jumped the shark-absolutely not in my opinion. If this is a new direction, then I think they are doing something right.

I thought the show today was great. Actually, I've enjoyed all the shows very much recently.

It's been a long day, so my brain may be a bit off. Have there been that many long interviews? No disrespect intended, Rex - they just don't register in my memory. I looked at the archives, too and didn't see any jump at me.

My ten cents - I've really grown to love the email show lately. I'm a person who will get up out of my seat and forcefully turn the tv off when a call in show airs. Dislike talk radio call ins. But the email shows and the call in show that have been put up over the past few weeks struck me as particularly good.

I haven't heard this week's show yet and am really crossing my fingers that Pete and I are on the same page on the stupid Disney employee issue. I'm also not sure who they interviewed this week but was actually hoping they would interview Scott Mitchell from Twisney and am really looking forward to the previously promised interview with CMO Justin Muchoney. Last week's interview with Jane was to help out some listeners with planning special events so it all works out. Keep listening WO, keep listening...they are still our favorite imaginary friends. Hakuna Matata.

I totally love Pete's rants! He cracks me up with how passionate he is about certain things - finger scanners come to mind. ;)

Long interviews are good, once in awhile. I liked listening to Jane and the nifty stuff she does with Gifts Of A Lifetime. I do like hearing more from the podcast crew than from outside vendors though.

Jumped the shark? Na....like the rest of us, the podcast is a work in process.

I don't think the show has "jumped the shark" (which is a pretty disrespectful thing to say, I think). And while Bawb is missed, of course, I believe it's as good as ever - I continue to look forward to its releases every week.

While I do not have much to campare it to as I am a fairly new listener I quite enjoy everything about the Podcast. I love the insight that each individual provides and I thought the interview today was great...As far as an increase in advertisements and interviews that is part of the business they have to pay the bills without those we wouldnt have them so its a give and take much like the discussion regarding on the podcast reagrding the increase in prices of products and services provided by Disney are necissary to promote a healthy business.

I don't get why anyone would even accuse them of "jumping the Shark" unless its the giving away $1000's of dollars worth of prizes to their own listeners Shark.

I don't get why anyone would even accuse them of "jumping the Shark" unless its the giving away $1000's of dollars worth of prizes to their own listeners Shark.

Well, actually the OP won a Podcast Cruise himself by stalking Pete at Universal one night. :goodvibes Sharkboy . . . I mean Wildeoscar is a stand-up guy who really respects the Podcast Team and I know he meant no disrespect with his comment. :worship:

Add in the fact that visitors to the Orlando area might want to be made aware that that grumpy employee waiting on you at the Super Walmart in Davenport could be packing, and it is very appropriate news.

[I haven't listened to the podcast yet, but I assume the rant was over the cast member who brought a firearm in his car]

It all depends on where the visitors are from. Where I live, firearms are a --I don't want to say "common" -- ordinary part of the culture, and, by state law, one may carry it in their vehicle without a conceal and carry permit. I'm more surprised to find someone doesn't have a weapon in their car.

I love the pod cast and am willing to wait while they "iron out" the wrinkles ;)

I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!!

I thought it was a great show. I loved the rant.

What I especially liked was the different opinions. When I listen to the podcast I really feel like I'm listening in on a group of my friends.

I found myself agreeing with Kevin, while DH shares Corey's views. I loved the way John comes in with his soothing voice and keeps things even keel. :goodvibes

The only thing I didn't like was that it ended. ;)

:goodvibes Like mentioned, Wideoscar is a big fan of the Podcast Crew and I don't think meant anything negative with his OP. The new shows are a BIG change from what they've been doing all these years. The new format will take some getting use to for the die-hard DISUnplugged Podcast listeners. It is different, but I like it and will continue to listen and go with the flow of all the changes. They've got all kinds of new gadgets and phone lines. You can't give a man toys like those and not expect him to use them. ;)

The only thing I didn't like was that it ended. ;)
I get that feeling too. I'm like "that's it?". I want more! I could sit here and listen about Disney and idle chit chat (Roundtable Discussion) for hours. One thing I would like is maybe a longer show.

- Jennifer

Now see, I didn't really think of that as a political rant. It wasn't like Pete was taking one side or the other on gun control, he was commenting on what he thought could turn into a dangerous situation and he was siding with Disney on not allowing the employees to have guns in their cars. I honestly didn't see it as political.

As for the interviews, I have to say I agree with you on that, but it isn't a dissatisfaction with Jane or Kevin Yee, I enjoyed hearing from both of them actually, but in the back of my mind I was also missing the Round Table Discussion. I love how the team interacts and when you bring in an interview, even though I might enjoy it, I also feel like it's less time I get to hear from the podcast crew.

That being said, I think we are ALL adjusting and having growing pains. The team is trying out some new things. Some will work, some won't. Some will like the changes, some won't, but we need to give everything a chance to find all that out.

yeah, to clarify... still a fan. just that the long form interview needs more of the crew chit chat or something. or sound effects. Dunno. something about it seems more scripted I guess.

Don't get me wrong on the rants... they can be fun. But this is a really touchy subject, lots of passion on both sides. The guy was standing up for what he believes, pretty sure the U.S. was founded on that principle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter