July will be Red, White and Incredible!!

Well, I skipped yesterday's 5K. After all the health issues I had this spring, I decided that even an evening 5K was a bad plan on a day where the temp hit 105. My shoes might melt on the pavement! Thankfully, the store hosting the race was offering a deal where you can get a credit for a future race in their race series, so I'll just have to keep an eye on their schedule.

Not running yesterday means that I can get in a long run today! On the treadmill. Yay? I found out mid-week last week that I have to travel for work Mon-Tues, which isn't bad, but I'll get home late on Tues and thus miss my run that night, so getting in a long run today is good, since the schedule just has me doing a 5K. Good times.

My new roommate moved in yesterday! She's my sister's best friend from college, and she's a hardcore runner and health-nut. I'm excited to have her around. I hope she's good incentive to get in better shape.

Good morning everyone. It feels like I haven't been over here in so long. I'm sticking to my plan, run/walk 3 days a week, and one day add a little distance. Today I plan to do 4.5 miles after work since it's supposed to be a bit cooler today. Otherwise, not much exciting here. Busy with summer, had a yard sale this weekend, and looking forward to our vacation at the end of august. I've had our adrs set for months with the free dining, but I find myself trying to change things up so I can do more planning.

Sounds like the heat is crazy everywhere.

Megan- I can't imagine trying to walk to the air conditioned car in 105 degree heat, never mind actually race. That's great you can get a credit toward another race in the future. That is great news about your new roomie. It is definintly a big influence to be around others on the same healthy track as you are.

Lisa- Have a fun-fabulous vacation, and I am very impressed you are planning your exercise while away. It is amazing how far we have come. I just ordered my wish shirt too!!!! I wonder if the lime green makes us run faster?

Susie-That is some pretty impressive mileage you're getting in on the bike. Hope you enjoyed the well deserved pie on saturday. I used to bike a lot before I had michael and depending on who I was with, our route often took us to a nice little breakfast nook, or an ice cream stand. I am looking forward to the day he will be able to do longer runs and handle a bike with gears. The race walking clinic sounds like fun.

Mickeys#1Fan4ever- congrats on going to ww. It is such a great plan, and if you follow it, it works. Good luck.

Amy- congrats on the 8 mile run!! THat is awesome!! And forget about the 1.75 run, we all have those days.

LIndsay-How's it going? I hope it's cooling down a bit for you so you can get back out there. It's just beautiful here today, and I think it might last 2 days til it hits 90 again. I keep trying to remember last summer when there was no need for air conditioning the entire month of july.

Vern-Sounds like a fun, busy summer in your neck of the woods too.

Alicia- Great to see you again. Isn't there anything you can do about this heat as our incredible meteorologist? Glad the wedding plans are all coming together.

Well, I"m off to work now. It really does interfere with the rest of my life someitmes. Just on payday it's so important.

Have an incredible day!!!

Kathy- things are going good here too. I got a 4.7mile run in last night. It poured for awhile early in the day and cooled things off a bit. I shouldnt complain but it still was so humid out and the sun was still heating me up even at 7pm. It is an improvement from earlier in the week though. I am hoping to get out there again tonight too. I wanted to go 5.5miles but my body wouldnt go anymore after about 4.5 and I was going past my street and my body just made a right and went home.:laughing: I completed it in 57min. I think around 45min I could have used one of those energy things or even some water. Even through this heat I have not been taking anything out with me. I really need to consider getting some stuff. I hope you enjoy these cooler days. I'd love to hear about your upcoming disney trip. Where your staying ADR's etc. Feel free to PM if you'd like.

Hope everyone else is doing well too. Have an incredible day!!!

I wanted to go 5.5miles but my body wouldnt go anymore after about 4.5 and I was going past my street and my body just made a right and went home.:laughing: I completed it in 57min.
:rotfl: So funny. Sometimes our bodies know what we need to do more than our minds. I did just 3 miles today, had planned on 4.5, but was really struggling, so I came home. I did much better last monday and I wonder if there's a correlation to last weekends healthy eating compared to this weekend's not healthy eating. I think there may be. I hope to get out wed before work for 4.5. I'd love to share my disney plans with you. You might regret offering.:rotfl:

I just got the book The non-runner's Marathon Guide for Women- Get off your Butt and on with your training, and it's pretty funny. This is something from the book that i really liked. " It's important to realize from the start that running is not a competitive sport. The only person you're really competing against is yourself, and you have to like the odds on that. The fastest way to grow frustrated with your training proweee, or lack thereof, is to compare yourself with other runners. Unless you were born in Kenya, you're not going to win a marathon anytime soon. So with that dream shattered, let's concentrate on the whole I'd-prefer-to-not-end-up-in-a-hospital-following-my-attempt-to finish-a-marathon thing."

Now in these training programs, she has you running 4 days/week with one day of cross training. The marathoning for mortals has you 3 runs a week, one of them long, and 2 days of cross training. Wondering from you experienced incredibles what's your take on that. Is 3 days of running enough to properly train for a half marathon?

Morning INCREDIBLES!!!

Sorry I haven't been by lately, busy, busy here. DD is doing a camp this week with her friend and they are spending time together after camp including a sleepover. And there is just so much else happening, with my training and getting DD ready for sleep away camp too.

My training is going well, weight loss is slooooow but coming.

On another note, my part time job has offered me a full time position. The details have not been finalized yet, but I am seriously considering it. The hours are similar to what I work now, but the benefits are better (3 weeks vaca when I want, not when doctor closes the office) 5 sick days (I get zero now). And a pay increase, I have not had a raise in over 2 years. And no more dealing with the pain in the a$$ office manager that I work with now. We will see what happens.

Hope everyone is surviving the heat-don't push yourself if you don't feel well in the heat and humidity. Keep up the good work, sounds like everyone is doing well. I will try to check in tonight too.

Congrats, Veronica! That's great news! I hope it all works out for you.

I'm back from my two day business trip. I tried to eat well, but... well, it wasn't so bad. My weight is down .4 lbs this week. I'm not sure if that's real weight or just a fluke, so who knows. I think I'm going back to weighing myself daily - I expect the ups and downs, but then I know if my weekly weigh-in is just a fluke day (as in I'm a little dehydrated) or it's real loss. After being in super professional attire the past few days, it became apparent how much weight I put on. I was just uncomfortable in my clothes. So here's hoping that as I finish up my last six weeks of half marathon training (EEEEEEK!) that I can continue to slowly take the weight off.

That would be me -- celebrating the 25th anniversary of my 25th birthday! ;) And never dreaming that I would be training for a half marathon when I reached that milestone!

Lisa - Ah, yes! Now I remember. Hope you had a great day!!!! And, I hope you are having a great vacation! For the record, I did my first half at 49 and my first full at 50.....and I'm still doing them. :teeth: :banana: You're going to be just awesome for your first! :cool1:

Kathy - the The non-runner's Marathon Guide for Women sounds like a fun book. I'll have to look it up. I really like Marathoning for Mortals by John Bingham. When I follow a plan, I follow this one. To answer your question, yes - three days of running is enough. The MfM book assumes you will be doing some type of cross training for two days of the week in addition to the three days of running.

Coach Jenny developed the training guides for MfM. I can't remember what her plan suggests for the half - I don't have the book in front of me (husband probably loaned it to someone :rolleyes:). When I trained for the Goofy, Coach Jenny suggested I do strength training twice a week (on shorter run days) and cross-training (biking, swimming, hiking, etc) two days a week - non-running days. For Goofy, the plan had one day off. For the half plan, if I recall, I had two days off. Believe me, I took them!!!

It's important to get in a mixture of strenth training along with running and other x-training for endurance purposes. The strength training will help prevent injuries and will help you prepare for the longer mileage. The x-training will keep up your cardio/fitness level without the constant pounding on the pavement...and helps to prevent injuries as well. Those rest days are important as well. Your muscles need time to heal.

Whether you do 4 days of running and 1 day of x-training, or 3 days of running and 2 x-training days, is up to you. For a half, I think you'll get the same benefits. Doing 3 days of running might also prevent boredom. A lot of people also like Hal Higdons plans. Here's the one for beginners - Half-marathon training). You just have to go with what works for you.

Lindsay - the humidity around here is so thick you can cut it with a knife. I know - old saying. However, it's true and it's just gonna get worse. The forecast for our area is hot, hot, hot and hotter next week with temps (not heat index) in the 100's. UGH! How am I supposed to train in that? ;) As for needing a Gu or other - probably not at that stage. Maybe water or a electrolyte drink. In this heat you really need to drink up, stay hydrated. I take a hand-held water bottle whenever I go out so I can sip up whenever I want. Good luck with your training!

Veronica - congrats on the full-time job. Hope it works out for you. Sounds like it's definitely worth considering. :thumbsup2

Megan - hope to meet you and others at Disneyland. It won't be long. :woohoo: Hope your training continues to go well.

Where's Spaz?

Amy - hope your training is still going well. I admire you for getting out there in the evening. Where do you run in NYC?

I've got a question for everyone....

What do you do for cross-training? As some of you have read in my posts - I bike. I find that it REALLY helps me with my half-marathon training. I also do strength training once a week but I may start doing it at least twice a week.

Good luck with your training! Stay cool and hydrate!

Veronica - GREAT news on the job!

Megan - business trips are awesome for food, LOL!

Susie, I mostly run in Central Park. Sometimes in Riverside Park, but not all that often, because it's flat and unshady. Also, a few women have gotten attacked there in the past few weeks, and they still haven't caught the guy.

BIG news for me today on the race fronts.

1) I added a night to our Wine & Dine trip. Now we'll be staying at AKL on 9/30, and then moving to BWI for the rest of the weekend. I'm super excited to try Jiko and Boma!

2) I won a FREE entry to the Philadelphia Rock N Roll Half! While it's 2 weeks BEFORE Wine & Dine, I'm going to treat it as my last long run before the REAL half in Orlando!

2) I won a FREE entry to the Philadelphia Rock N Roll Half! While it's 2 weeks BEFORE Wine & Dine, I'm going to treat it as my last long run before the REAL half in Orlando!

Congratulations! I won a free entry into that race as well. :teeth: DH & I will be there. I've never been to Philadelphia so I'm really looking forward to the trip.

Sorry ladies, just another quick fly by. I am not feeling well, have had tummy issues all day and am planning to go to bed early so I can shake whatever this is and get up to run tomorrow.

But here is a really great quote for you:

“Practice isn’t the thing you do once you’re good. It’s the thing you do that makes you good.”

Hi ladies-

Veronica great quote and I hope the tummy feels better soon.:hug:

Amy and Susie congrats on winning the free registration. I am thinking of doing the RNR next year. I hope you enjoy philly susie! Amy a night at AKL sounds great. Good for you!

Kathy that book sounds funny, I need to get a copy. I love the quote and its so true.

I have had a rough couple of runs this week. I think its a mixture of the heat/humidity, my food choices, and the fact that Im not getting a good nights sleep lately. Hopefully next run will be better. I wont get it in until saturday and I think the weather is suppose to be a little cooler....well if you consider 80 cool:confused3

I am debating on signing up for the Marine Corps Marathon 10K run on 10-31. My best friend is running the marathon with her dad and asked if my family wanted to go with them and I can do the 10K. I really really want to but have to figure out the finances. I think I need to make a decision soon since the marathon is already sold out Im sure the 10K will soon be too. Has anyone done this before? If so how was it, where did you stay?, any tips?

mommyof2Pirates, I can't offer any advice, but I just wanted to say that my friend convinced me to sign up for the MCM10K just yesterday! I'm running the Army Ten Miler the weekend before, so I should be prepared. I just hope that's not too much racing!

Missed last night's run due to a crushing headache. Still around today, but I'm hoping I can beat it off by this evening so I can hit the gym. I need to keep up with my training!

Good grief, I really am the worst team mate ever! I started a post earlier in the week and well, obviously, it didn't get done. I've been a SAHM for a month now and it's definitely keeping me busy! All my time on the computer is devoted to transcription work so when I'm not doing that, I don't want to be anywhere near the computer.

Anyway, running is going well for me. I'm in week 6 of my half marathon training program. I ran 7 miles for the first time on Sunday. I was so nervous about it but it felt easy. I have 8 this Sunday and I'm so not worried! My times are really getting down there. I had a 3 miler at a 9:12 pace and then my 2 miler yesterday was a 9:10 pace. I'm usually in the 9:25-9:45 range now but I'll take those two! I feel like I've definitely come a long way!

I don't have any races on the horizon besides the half in October. None that I'm registered for anyway. I need to get on that! Sorry about the all about me post. I really really want to be a better team mate but I got files to transcribed, my DD is now a crawler and I'm corralling her all the time... but it's fun!

Ugh! I have been a terrible teammate! My mouse for my computer is MIA and I don't really like using the iPhone app to reply to DISboards, but I am biting the bullet today b/c who knows when I will get my mouse back. That means no personals:(. Too hard to find the posts I want to reply to!

Anyway, I did pretty well with my running while all my family was in town. The heat has been the biggest challenge, but I am dealing the best that I can. This week I finally was able to do a normal schedule and I think I may have overdone it. I ran super hard on Tuesday for my speedwork run and have had heavy legs since. I actually am kindof liking it b/c it means I am pushing myself and should see improvement. Some of my RL running buddies reccomended that I do a 5k in August and then another in October try to get some PRs and gauge improvement so I am thinking about doing the Tour de Pain in three weekends. We shall see what happens there. I am hoping to break 26 min for the first time!
I registered for the Womens Half Marathon in St Pete. The metal is super cool. It is a palm tree and a "coconut" detaches to be a charm. Love it! Oh, and did you guys see the metal for WDW marathon? Love it too, it was the one I voted for:). Woo Hoo!
Today is gym day (on the treadmill walking right now) and then 4 or 5 miles tomorrow morning depending on the legs and humidity. Hope your weekend is Incredible!!

There is no such thing as a bad teammate! We all have those periods where life gets busy. As long as you eventually come back, that's what matters :)

My mouse for my computer is MIA

That sounds like the work of an inquisitive child!

mommyof2Pirates, I can't offer any advice, but I just wanted to say that my friend convinced me to sign up for the MCM10K just yesterday! I'm running the Army Ten Miler the weekend before, so I should be prepared. I just hope that's not too much racing!

Missed last night's run due to a crushing headache. Still around today, but I'm hoping I can beat it off by this evening so I can hit the gym. I need to keep up with my training!

wow thats great! I will let you know if I decide to sign up. I think you will be fine with both races. It sounds like it would be a great experience. I know I need to decide soon before registration fills up.

Good grief, I really am the worst team mate ever! I started a post earlier in the week and well, obviously, it didn't get done. I've been a SAHM for a month now and it's definitely keeping me busy! All my time on the computer is devoted to transcription work so when I'm not doing that, I don't want to be anywhere near the computer.

Anyway, running is going well for me. I'm in week 6 of my half marathon training program. I ran 7 miles for the first time on Sunday. I was so nervous about it but it felt easy. I have 8 this Sunday and I'm so not worried! My times are really getting down there. I had a 3 miler at a 9:12 pace and then my 2 miler yesterday was a 9:10 pace. I'm usually in the 9:25-9:45 range now but I'll take those two! I feel like I've definitely come a long way!

I don't have any races on the horizon besides the half in October. None that I'm registered for anyway. I need to get on that! Sorry about the all about me post. I really really want to be a better team mate but I got files to transcribed, my DD is now a crawler and I'm corralling her all the time... but it's fun!

Great running Jess. Dont worry we all understand life gets in the way sometimes. I hope the new SAHM and transcription work is going well for you. Keep up the good work on your running times. You are doing awesome.

Ugh! I have been a terrible teammate! My mouse for my computer is MIA and I don't really like using the iPhone app to reply to DISboards, but I am biting the bullet today b/c who knows when I will get my mouse back. That means no personals:(. Too hard to find the posts I want to reply to!

Anyway, I did pretty well with my running while all my family was in town. The heat has been the biggest challenge, but I am dealing the best that I can. This week I finally was able to do a normal schedule and I think I may have overdone it. I ran super hard on Tuesday for my speedwork run and have had heavy legs since. I actually am kindof liking it b/c it means I am pushing myself and should see improvement. Some of my RL running buddies reccomended that I do a 5k in August and then another in October try to get some PRs and gauge improvement so I am thinking about doing the Tour de Pain in three weekends. We shall see what happens there. I am hoping to break 26 min for the first time!
I registered for the Womens Half Marathon in St Pete. The metal is super cool. It is a palm tree and a "coconut" detaches to be a charm. Love it! Oh, and did you guys see the metal for WDW marathon? Love it too, it was the one I voted for:). Woo Hoo!
Today is gym day (on the treadmill walking right now) and then 4 or 5 miles tomorrow morning depending on the legs and humidity. Hope your weekend is Incredible!!

Those sound like fun races. I love the name Tour de pain.:lmao: How long is that one 5K? I know the running in the heat and humidity has been horrible. Luckily for a day or two it is cooling down a bit around here. Hopefully the cooling zone reaches you soon too.

I am hoping to get in a long run tomorrow. Its suppose to be low humidity and low 80's. Sunday is chance of rain and 75 :woohoo: I am so looking forward to running the next two days. Tomorrow is a day of cleaning for me and then sunday morning if weather cooperates we are going to Eagles training camp. The Philadelphia Eagles camp is in our home town about 20 minutes away. Its a lot of fun to be at the sidelines watching them practice. Its the first year were taking our boys who are 5 1/2 and 3. I am hoping they find it cool to see the players. I hope you all enjoy your weekend.
TGIF

Hello INCREDIBLES!!!

I too have not been around as much as usual, what with the busy summer and feeling under the weather for the last few days.

Congrats Amy and Susie on the free registrations for Philly!!! How cool is that?

Jess and Beth, no worries, you are not bad teammates, just busy ladies like the rest of us.

I had a stomach bug Weds and Thursday, and last night I started with a sinus infection.:headache:. But today was such a beautiful morning to run, low humidity, 50's temps, sunshine. Ran 9 in 1:34:18, my last 2 miles under 10 mins each. I hit a new low weight today too, 157.8. I am not going to make 145 before we go to DL in 5 weeks, but I think I can hit 150, which would be awesome too. It really is hard to lose weight while training, but I am doing the best I can.

Off to do laundry and cleaning around the house. We may have some guests later today, our friends are in the area on vacation and may stop by.

I will start the August thread later today and will post the link to it here.

Mommyof2pirates- yes it is a 5k. It is actually the second of 3 races in 24 hours but I am only doing the one race. The others are a 4 mile beach run Friday evening, the 5k is in the am Saturday and the there is a mile sprint Saturday afternoon. I might try the whole tour one year but not this year. I don't think;).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter