July 4th events at WDW?

Esteri

DIS Veteran
I've searched and can't find much on this, so I'm asking...

I've gone wacko and am considering spending July 4th at WDW, possibly at the MK. More as a "bucket list" sort of item - no expectation that we'll be able to do much, you know?

Anyway, I'm wondering - what does Disney do for the Fourth? Special events? Parades? Etc.

And those that have done this - what hints / tips can you share?

Many Thanks!

I've searched and can't find much on this, so I'm asking...

I've gone wacko and am considering spending July 4th at WDW, possibly at the MK. More as a "bucket list" sort of item - no expectation that we'll be able to do much, you know?

Anyway, I'm wondering - what does Disney do for the Fourth? Special events? Parades? Etc.

And those that have done this - what hints / tips can you share?

Many Thanks!

Special fireworks at MK, Epcot, and DHS.
That's about it.
MK's special fireworks also run on July 3rd.

Parks are packed like a can of sardines.
(Sardines cooking in the can due to the oppressive heat and humidity, too.)

Here's the crowd awaiting the MK fireworks on July 3rd.
MK070309bradk_CC.jpg

Zowie!! Seems like maybe one of the beaches might be the place to be.

In addition to the fireworks Epcot has special character appearances and performances. They have the Voices of Liberty performing on the American Pavilion concert stage, Ben Franklin appears in the American Adventure area for photos and autographs. Betsy Ross tells the story of the American flag inside the American Adventure foyer. Mickey, Donald, and Goofy appear in the Patriotic outifts at the American Adventure area.

A great way to do WDW over the 4th is to spend the 3rd at the Magic Kingdom and the 4th at Epcot. MK isn't quite so nuts on the 3rd (though it is nuts), and Epcot can hold a lot of people without feeling packed so the 4th there isn't bad at all.

They do the special fireworks at MK on the 3rd as well as the 4th. Plus Illuminations over at Epcot has a special ending, which gives me the chills. Plus the fireworks are amazing!

Here's a picture of Magic Kingdom on July 3rd waiting for the fireworks to begin.

We got a spot by the center hub a couple of hours ahead of time, put down a blanket and got food. We really enjoyed chatting with the people around us who were also waiting. And the fireworks are AMAZING and completely worth the crowds!!! They were inspirational and very special - in 3d around the park - also over the lagoon.

We found the parks not too crowded in the morning. I was really prepared for horrific crowds that weekend, but it wasn't bad, really. We were lucky with the weather - not at all as bad as many of our August trips. All the regular tips apply - get to parks early, leave in the afternoon, etc.

DisneyJune-July2011178.jpg

I would do MK on the 3rd. This past year it was CRAZY packed and unlike anything I've ever seen...however, after the amazing fireworks show the crowds thined out and the rest of the night was enjoyable.

DHS, IMHO, is the place to be on the 4th. The fireworks are set to the music of a live band (Mulch, Sweat, Tears). It was AWESOME!!!! The crowds were heavy, but nothing like the 3rd at the MK and it was not so packed that it was an unenjoyable experience. I would definitely do it all again :)

At the current moment, we arrive on the 3rd at 6pm - so getting into MK is unlikely. However, I'm waitlisted at Bay Lake Towers (keeping fingers crossed on the one missing night), so if it comes through we'll be able to watch the MK fireworks from the observation area. Maybe go in afterwards and close the park.

Then on the 4th we can pick from one of the other parks. Early arrival - and all that jazz. Sleep is for wimps. :rotfl: OK - we'll sleep on the 5th.

We did July 4, 2010 at MK. It was so packed that we just wandered around like zombies.

We did July 4, 2011 at Typhoon Lagoon. Much better way to spend our time. We were over at Epcot for dinner and saw their fireworks. Epcot was much more manageable than MK the previous year. We were at MK on July 3, 2011 and we have sworn off that park for those two days for the rest of our lives. It was chaos.

A great way to do WDW over the 4th is to spend the 3rd at the Magic Kingdom and the 4th at Epcot. MK isn't quite so nuts on the 3rd (though it is nuts), and Epcot can hold a lot of people without feeling packed so the 4th there isn't bad at all.

They do the special fireworks at MK on the 3rd as well as the 4th. Plus Illuminations over at Epcot has a special ending, which gives me the chills. Plus the fireworks are amazing!

That is what we do. Both Epcot and MK have amazing holiday fireworks but MK is less crowded on 3rd.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter