• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

July 28, 2007 - Romeancing the Mouse in the Med Cruise Reunion thread!

Close-up of Modestum's Bakery oven:

07-31-2007-Naples-Italy165.jpg

Fast food counter where Garum was sold which Pompeii was known for: jars of garum and other delicacies were unearthed. The jars have been removed to the museum.

07-31-2007-Naples-Italy170.jpg

DH and I at the 1/2 way point of climbing Mt. Vesuvius - I thought I was in shape but I just about fainted - didn't think I was going to make it but I did!

07-31-2007-Naples-Italy229.jpg

Here is a top side view of Herculaneum - it is a better preserved site than Pompeii due to the location. Notice also that it is below the modern day city. At the top of the picture is modern day homes and below is the excavations.

07-31-2007-Naples-Italy291.jpg

Here is a shot of what used to be ocean front property. The arches is where the boats used to be moored. The boats were brought directly into the spaces. Now there is a wall separating the ocean from the spots.

07-31-2007-Naples-Italy295.jpg

Below is one of the best preserved artifacts - a fire-charred wooden partition from the house of the Wooden Partition - :laughing: The door has bronze studs which is actually visible in person. Right now it is covered in leucite to protect it but it is an actual ruin.

07-31-2007-Naples-Italy329.jpg

I am thoroughly enjoying my trip now -and I thank you all for bearing with me. Not many people have shown a lot of interest and sometimes I can see why - I do tend to go on and on but I had been dreaming of visiting Pompeii since I was a little girl of 8.

A couple of last ones for the road!

Side view of the charred wooden partition door from House of the Wooden Partition - where else :lmao:

07-31-2007-Naples-Italy333.jpg

Actual bed left over from 79 AD (part of the reason this site is better preserved is that Pompeii was hit with several meters of pumice while the ash and the salt air in Herculaneum turned it to hard rock - its late so can't remember the name - anyone can you help with thisname?

07-31-2007-Naples-Italy337.jpg

And the final one for the night - A public structure known as the College of the Augustali. Essentially a type of "chapel"? dedicated to Caesar and Augustus. There is a plaque there which I didn't upload.

The colors of the walls are as pretty as it looks. Considering that these date from 79 AD - wow - BTW, Herculaneum was a city known for its nobility - sorta like the French Rivera - the very rich came here to vacation.

07-31-2007-Naples-Italy366.jpg

Ok all - guess I'll finally get to sleep. Hope you all enjoyed. Sorry if I bored you all. Just let me know and I'll stop. Also, please know that this was long due to my lifelong fascination with this marvelous city/island.

Laura,
Don't Stop!!!

It's like reliving the trip (although not quite as warm).

Pompeii has always been a fascination of mine. I'd love to go back and just go there and to Herculaneum (sp). DH was not as excited about these places and we did the pompeii, sorrento and capri excursion instead. It is my biggest regret of the trip. (besides not bringing DD) We were supposed to have 2 hours at Pompeii. But had less than an hour of actually being in Pompeii. Leaving was so difficult. So seeing your photos is wonderful to me. I do have pictures of the ampitheater and will download them as soon as I can get to the other computer.

Thanks again,

Laura,
Don't Stop!!!

It's like reliving the trip (although not quite as warm).

Pompeii has always been a fascination of mine. I'd love to go back and just go there and to Herculaneum (sp). DH was not as excited about these places and we did the pompeii, sorrento and capri excursion instead. It is my biggest regret of the trip. (besides not bringing DD) We were supposed to have 2 hours at Pompeii. But had less than an hour of actually being in Pompeii. Leaving was so difficult. So seeing your photos is wonderful to me. I do have pictures of the ampitheater and will download them as soon as I can get to the other computer.

Thanks again,

Oh Sandra! Thank You! :love: :flower3:

I don't know how in the world I could have forgotten about the amphitheatre but thank God you went. I hope you went when it was still a bit cool. We were there from about 10 am til about 1 or 2. can't rightly remember because I know that it took about 2 hrs to climb Mt. Vesuvius and then about another 2 hrs for Herculaneum. We were back at the ship with about 1 hr to spare and let me tell you - it was a loonnnnngg day.

DH wasn't excited about going there either until he found out that the Capri excursions had long winding roads. Thank God that the climb up the mountain was done in the cool. Here we are in the middle of summer, hot spell, sweat trickling down our backs and we decide to climb Mt. V. Luckily the volcano gods were with us because from the moment we stepped on the ground to the time we were climbing into the air-conditioned van - the clouds came over the sun and stayed there. It was downright cold and breezy on top but DH said that's what made it bearable - he likes it :cold: - we think he is related to the Iceman. :rotfl2:

I am having fun looking at these pictures and as I haven't really done anything with them - its fun to upload them and decide what to show you guys. So break out your pictures Sandra - oh - and I found a wonderful sight which has similar pictures on it. LOL - I actually found the site AFTER our trip but it did bring back some memories - when I find it I will post it here. I believe that it is from someone that was stationed there for a while and has some history - apparently they are entrigued by it too. I think I spent about 3 hrs there just looking at what pictures they'd taken. Amazing.

I'm sorry you didn't much time there - it truly is amazing and I hope to plan a trip there so that I can devote just about one entire day to this place. I'm sure I've seen just about everything but I didn't get to touch everything. Although I think that the most crowded place of all was the .......um.........house of ill repute. :rotfl2: We walked up and I noticed a "house" with a line for it - not knowing what we were getting in line for I asked as we were walking in - what are we in line for - all I got was - remember - no flash!

I think what is fascinating to remember regardless of our standing was that , according to our guide, the "menu" was pictorial (in the house of ill repute) , of course, but Pompeii was a major sea port for the day. They had thousands of "foreigners" and so many did not speak their language. The Temple of Isis - which I think I did get one picture of - was not native to Pompeii - this is a nod to the belief of the "foreigners" and so shows the tolerance and the ability to integrate others beliefs in order to assimilate into their culture. Anyway, the strangers usually communicated via signs and many common hand signals. I'm not sure that I can post some of the pictures I took and wouldn't want them banned but I was walking in the street when I look down and saw what was basically meant as a sign and an arrow type carved into the rock in the street. It was directions to the house. So even back then, they were were signs and graffiti - I was able to get some pictures of the menu but again - I'm not sure I can post here but it is amazing to realize that you could order what you wanted by just pointing at the pictures.

I can't understand why I'm so amazed at the efficiency of past civilizations. I know its not like ours is the only one out there but its like a slap in the face to realize -hey - we were not the first to walk this path. I am consistenly amazed and that is why this is forever continue to hold a place in my heart!

Thanks for letting me share my thoughts and pictures. More to follow later.

Somehow I got to get ready for April's track meet.

Be back later.

BTW, how's the new grandbaby? More pictures! She's beautiful by the way. Hope mom and dad and baby are doing fine.

And what is even more amazing is the fact that we have similar photos. Great minds think alike!

:rotfl:

:thumbsup2 Thanks again Laura........it truly was the trip of a lifetime........to see that many amazing places in just 12 days...........I loved Pompeii as well, we were fortunate to go in the morning and it was still hot then!

I wasn't too thrilled with the Sorrento, Capri part..........we needed more time in Sorrento and Capri was nothing to write home about (as we were warned!)

Keep em coming!!

Sandra - She's beautiful!!!!! May God bless your beautiful family!!

And Laura,

Oh how I am so enjoying the pics. There isn't a day that goes by that something doesn't remind me of a DIS friend we met or a sight we saw. What a trip!!

Sneaking in a shot of us at Avignon - Palace of the Popes - this Palace was pretty well cleaned out but still got some nice shots -

Here it is at the end of the tour and I finally decided to be in one shot. I had a crew member from the ship that was taking the tour take the picture otherside DH might have cut my head off. :) He's better now but still - not many shots where I come out 1/2 way decent. It was hot and stuffy - we were waiting on someone that got left behind - so I quickly stuffed us into what is essentially a turret and snap!

08-05-2007-Avignon-France106.jpg

I think from here we went to eat at what was essentially an military fortress/barracks. I really don't think it was a restaurant except that day - it was! :rotfl2:

:wave2: Helen - I really enjoyed your pictures of your holiday with your mom. I've thought of you plenty of times in the last couple of times and I even glimpsed some pictures of you here and there. I am going to have to see about posting some pictures for you guys again. Seeing as how we lost those on the old thread.

Hope all is going well with you and your hubby and I hope that we get to sail sometime soon in the future. BTW, remember that night at the Monte Carlo - DH ended up making about 1000 euros. He just didn't want me to say anything in case no one else won. LOL - ended up spending it all in Paris so alas - it stayed in Europe - but ah!!!! the memories will last a lifetime.

.jpg[/IMG]

Hi Laura,

Thanks for the lovely memories. Yes I remember our night at Monte Carlo -It was great fun.

Things are fine here - Busy as normal!

We are going away to crufts for the weekend - lots of shopping for the dogs. I'm hoping to catch some of the agility finals (kyla);) I love watching that and of course some of our friends are in Flyball finals.

hope all is well with everyone else. It is really driving me mad that I have no holiday plans this summer. I long to visit USA.
Dave is going to MAlta in June scuba Diving with his club.
Its Daves birthday Next Tuesday - We'll probably go out for a meal.

Oh well better get sorted for the weekend.
Take care
all

xx;)

Ok, we're one week from Germany........any last minute...not to be missed...tips?:goodvibes

Ok, we're one week from Germany........any last minute...not to be missed...tips?:goodvibes

Don't forget to have a GREAT TIME!!!!!

Hi Laura,

Thanks for the lovely memories. Yes I remember our night at Monte Carlo -It was great fun.

Things are fine here - Busy as normal!

We are going away to crufts for the weekend - lots of shopping for the dogs. I'm hoping to catch some of the agility finals (kyla);) I love watching that and of course some of our friends are in Flyball finals.

hope all is well with everyone else. It is really driving me mad that I have no holiday plans this summer. I long to visit USA.
Dave is going to MAlta in June scuba Diving with his club.
Its Daves birthday Next Tuesday - We'll probably go out for a meal.

Oh well better get sorted for the weekend.
Take care
all

xx;)

You know we'd love to have you. Do you think that in 2009 you and Dave might join us on the 7/18 Carribbean Tortola cruise?

You know we'd love to have you. Do you think that in 2009 you and Dave might join us on the 7/18 Carribbean Tortola cruise?
Yes! There's also Wendy's family joining us for this trip.....wait I think Helen is sailing but she has to go in August?

Wow! JoAnn - have a safe and uneventful trip. Take plenty of pictures and are you adding to the blog? Got to bookmark it!

Hi...

Been given a nudge by Laura to come over and say hello and look at the pictures, very nice, hope everyone is well.

Just a few months now to:-

DLP.....May

DLC ...August.

Then Panama cruise,

Getting excited.

Wow! JoAnn - have a safe and uneventful trip. Take plenty of pictures and are you adding to the blog? Got to bookmark it!
Thx Laura! If I get enough pics, I might make a new blog!! Time to get packing!!:happytv:

Hi...

Been given a nudge by Laura to come over and say hello and look at the pictures, very nice, hope everyone is well.

Just a few months now to:-

DLP.....May

DLC ...August.

Then Panama cruise,

Getting excited.

Andrew,
Sure we can't tempt you to join us on the 7/18/09 Carribbean Tortola cruise. A few of us are on it. Hope you and your family have been well.

would love to go -however school does not breakup until 17th July - too late for us getting to the states and on the cruise :confused:

Hopefully we'll organise a meet in New york and you guys can help us plan our visit!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter