July 23rd - 30th 2016 - Fantasy Western Cruise

Sleeping_Princess

"Sword of truth fly swift and sure, let evil die a
Hello to fellow ship-mates! :welcome:

My family is so excited to be returning to a Disney Cruise. We finally made gold status on our 4 day on the Dream last October and can't wait to reach Platinum status. This will be our first time on the Fantasy, which is the last ship we need to venture out on! :)

So, join the conversation and let's count down the days together. At this moment, we have 204 days until we leave.
I'm hoping there are some folks who'd like to do FE's. It is a blast! pixiedust:

(By the way, I've never started a thread before -- I sure hope I'm doing this right!) :rolleyes:

Christine

Hello to fellow ship-mates! :welcome:

My family is so excited to be returning to a Disney Cruise. We finally made gold status on our 4 day on the Dream last October and can't wait to reach Platinum status. This will be our first time on the Fantasy, which is the last ship we need to venture out on! :)

So, join the conversation and let's count down the days together. At this moment, we have 204 days until we leave.
I'm hoping there are some folks who'd like to do FE's. It is a blast! pixiedust:

(By the way, I've never started a thread before -- I sure hope I'm doing this right!) :rolleyes:

Christine
OK, you've started your cruise meet thread. Now - copy the URL at the top of the page, and head over to the "Find your 2016 Fantasy Cruise Meet LINK here" thread and post a request to have it linked to the list in the first post there. Be sure to paste that copied URL into your request post.

Once the link is in the "index" more people will be able to find it easier.

Hello! This will be our 2nd DCL cruise. First was also on the Fantasy in it's inaugural year! Had a bit of a moment of sadness when decorating our tree this year as my son accidentally dropped our Disney Fantasy Inaugural Year Ornament and it shattered to pieces...but got over it when I realized we'd be making more Disney memories this summer! Can't wait! Did not know about Disboards on our first cruise, so looking forward to being more prepared this time. :)
Katie

Awesome, maybe as we get closer - someone can take the lead on FE for us!! :flower1:

Hi there! We are heading out on the Fantasy as well! Looking forward to this cruise. We mostly cruise in the fall and winter, rarely in the summer, but this will be an exciting trip! We have been on the Fantasy twice, just last January 2015 on the same itinerary, and an Eastern the inaugural year, a November cruise. Still a ways away, but I love looking for the cruise groups! Would be interested in the FE as well, but I won't have time to coordinate it. Nice to meet everyone so far!

Last edited:
We decided to move our cruise to October 2016. The kids wanted to do Halloween on the High Seas and Star Wars enhancements on the Dream. Everyone have a great time this summer on the Fantasy. Dawn

This will be our 4th Disney Cruise on the Fantasy. We do an all girls family trip and we range in age from 13 to 77. I'd be interested in learning more about the Fish Extenders. That's something that we've not participated in before. See you all in July!

I'm hoping there are some folks who'd like to do FE's.

and would be interested in joining a FE too.

maybe as we get closer - someone can take the lead on FE for us!!

Would be interested in the FE as well

I'd be interested in learning more about the Fish Extenders.
OK - here you go:
WHAT IS A FISH EXTENDER? (FE)
Outside your room onboard is a message holder, in most cases it's shaped like a fish:fish holder wonder 2012 1408 100_7536.JPG

The fish is there for Disney to place important communications to you such as excursion tickets and notes from the Cruise staff. It is like a mailbox for your room. A Fish Extender (FE) it is something that you hang off the fish. By hanging the Fish Extender off of the fish, the Cast Members can still use it for its original purpose.THIS IS NOT A ONE ON ONE EXCHANGE, YOU ARE PART OF A GROUP. All the people in the exchange buy or make little items and place them in each other's fish extenders. It is great fun to come back and check the items you have received.

Once a cruise meet thread is up and running, someone in the group will (should?) step up and say "I'll maintain the Fish Extender exchange list". That person is the center point for all those who want to participate in the exchange. The list can be as simple as DISnames/room number/number of guests or as involved as full names/room number/ages of guests/like & dislikes/allergies/favorite characters/whatever is deemed necessary to know assemble the gifts.

Then each room on the FE list (note this will not be everyone on the Cruise Meet thread for your specific cruise), makes a Fish Extender holder. This is basically an organizer-type hanging bag with separate pockets for each person in the room:door magnets 4 wonder oct 2011 256 100_3589 1500.jpg

The most common Fish Extenders are ones that have a pocket for each person in that stateroom. Some are very fancy, some are very plain. Some are store bought, some are homemade. Search "Disney fish extender" and you will get options that range in price. You should make sure your Fish Extender is between 8" & 12"" wide. Otherwise it starts to get in the way of your stateroom door. It should not exceed 5 feet; otherwise it will hit the floor. If you are creating your own it is suggested you make the pockets a little deeper than normal too. It will keep items from falling out and keep curious hands from reaching in (average depth is 5-6 inches)but 8-11 is a better way to go if you are making it yourself

They also make up gifts (either individual gifts or room gifts - whatever is decided by your group) to be delivered during the cruise).

One note about the gifts, some groups set up specific delivery dates, and specify "each person gets a gift" or "only one gift per room" or (even) maximum/minimum price ranges for gifts. Other groups just say "whatever", so people can choose what/how many gifts to give. Some give individual gifts, others only one gift per room, while others might do one for the adults and separate gifts for kids. Or only gift the kids.

HOW MANY CABINS WILL BE IN MY FE GROUP and WHO PARTICIPATES???
That depends on your cruise meet group. They range in average from 10-15 sometimes even 25 and up. Most do the smaller groups with the option to join more than one. It makes it more manageable.

This is typically a whole cabin event. You usually may not just sign up the kids. There are some cruise meet groups that have Adult Only groups. But not Kids only.

If you are signing up more than one cabin to participate, you should not combine them. It’s not fair for people to make items for 2 cabins and receive from 1 of them. They should be counted as 2 separate cabins.

DO I HAVE TO BUY FOR EVERYONE? DO I NEED TO GIVE PER CABIN?
Sort of…You have to do something for EVERY CABIN PARTICIPATING, You choose whether its adult gifts or kids gifts or cabin gifts or a combination.YOU CAN NOT LEAVE A CABIN OUT IF THEY HAVE SIGNED UPAt the very least, 1 cabin gift, per cabin. Some do a cabin gift, and then do a few items for the kids. Some do individual for each member of the cabin. Some people are crafty and make gifts, and some are store bought. Some gifts are to be used on board and some are to be used at home.

DO WE PUT GIFTS IN EVERY DAY OF THE CRUISE? WILL I HAVE TO WALK ALL OVER THE SHIP TO DELIVER?
That's up to you. Most deliver ONCE.Most do one gift, some do multiple gifts.You don’t want to spend your whole cruise delivering gifts. It can be time consuming. Most deliver over the whole length of the cruise. One morning you do all the cabins on decks 4-6 that are Forward. Another time you do all the mid cabins on decks 1-4. And so on. It’s suggested you break up your list by location: Forward, Mid and Aft before leaving home. Large zip locks are good for this. Start from your highest deck and work your way to your lowest.

*If you are on a longer cruise, consider delivering later in the week. Most deliver in the beginning and then there is nothing towards the end (and the kids like to find stuff in the holder)You don’t have to deliver all on the first day, especially on the longer cruises.

Don’t deliver in the middle of the night, when no one is around, or when people are off the ship when sticky fingers are more likely.

WHEN LEAVING A GIFT, DO WE IDENTIFY WHO IT IS FROM?
Some people do put some kind of to/from tag on their items. Most want to know who it came from. Some do it because they don't want people to think they got shorted a gift or assumed theft of an item. Others go with the original intent and deliver anonymous gifts.

I HAVE TO DROP OUT.. HOW DO I DO THAT.
It’s very important that if you have to drop out for any reason you notify the person running your FE. (They can be found on the cruise page you signed up on)

It’s important so that others who are participating don’t count you in, when you won’t be there. Everyone’s time is valuable. It’s courteous to let someone know.People put a lot of time and effort into FE gifts, and are expecting something in return. It’s not fair to the group if you bow out without letting anyone know

And, the most important part:
SETTING UP A FE GROUP
It appears there are a number of you who are interested in a Fish Extender group. There isn’t one currently set up here on DISBoards. Here’s a little write up on how FE groups are set up:

There really are no “rules” as to how a FE program runs. Basically someone maintains the list of those who wish to participate. The group can decide on what information is necessary to produce FE gifts. A basic list may only have DISname/room number/number of people in the room. A more involved list could be first & last names/ages/room number/ favorite character/ favorite color/allergies/whatever is deemed necessary to know in order to create the gifts. Also a decision can be made as to size of FE group. Some groups break out the list(s) at 10-15 rooms max, so that there are multiple lists (and some people will participate in more than one list). Other groups just make one big list (upwards of 20-30 rooms).

At some point the list will “close”. Typically this happens 30-45 days out from the cruise, so that everyone participating has time to organize/prepare their gifts. Shortly before this time (about 2-3 weeks prior) the organizer will post the list, either directly on the Cruise Meet thread, OR via private conversation, or, possibility, via e-mails. This is to confirm everyone on the list is still participating. It’s important to make a state about “anyone not confirming by XX date will be dropped” at this time. A little harsh, yes, but often there are people who will post on the cruise meet thread as soon as they reserve the cruise and say “I want to participate”, and are never heard from again.

Once the list closes, the organizer will post the final list. Also, a decision must be made as to whether to allow late additions. Sometimes there is a “pixie dust” list. That is, basically, a latecomers list that gets posted about a week out from the cruise that others may or may not add to their “final” list. Be sure the “pixie dust” list participants realize they may or may not get gifts from others, but are expected to provide gifts for the other FE participants anyway.

The other “biggie” is no other social media sites are allowed to be linked or search directions posted as to how to find that other site here on DISboards. Please read this: http://www.disboards.com/threads/im...uise-meet-and-fish-extender-programs.3353477/

As it seems there are a few here on your cruise meet thread who would be interested in doing this, who’s going to step up and volunteer to maintain the list?

I will also note, to participate in conversations, everyone needs to have at least 10 posts. For those who wish to use this option for private conversations that don’t have 10 posts yet, head over to the Test Board to post and up your post count. http://www.disboards.com/forums/test-board.88/

Up to 20 people can participate in any given conversation.

Have fun.

Hi All! We are so excited! This will be our second cruise (we got hooked after we sailed on the Dream last summer for the double-dip). Can't wait to meet you all and enjoy 7 awesome nights on the ocean!

I am bringing my granddaughter on her first disney cruise. I want to become a member of the fish extenders HELP, all advice is appreciated

I am bringing my granddaughter on her first disney cruise. I want to become a member of the fish extenders HELP, all advice is appreciated
Well, there's no Fish Extender group set up here on DISboards. If you have a look at post #13 here, you see some information about Fish Extenders, and how to set up a group. Hopefully, someone will take charge.

Thanks, we have our made now. We would like to be a part of a group when it begins. I am new to this so I want to be a follower not a leader.

Checking in.....family cruise, Paul and Dana Bewley with their daughters families...Davis (5) and White (4). Should be a great time.

Excited for our first cruise too! Also interested in participating in the FE!
Hopefully someone will step up and say "I'll maintain the list". Otherwise there will be no group here on DISboards. There may be other sites that have FE groups, but they are not DISboards connected, and links or search directions to them are not allowed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter