• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

July 22, 2015 * 12-night Northern European Cruise!

Vote for a nickname for our cruise! (Voting closes 5-21-14)

• Nuts for Northern Europe

• Mickey to Russia with Love

• The Mouse Who Loved Me

• Baltic Buccaneers

• Wishing Upon a Northern European Star: 12 Nights of Magic

• To Russia with Mickey Bars

• Creme de la Kremlin

• Tea, Goulash & Mickey Bars

• From Russia with (Mickey) Gloves...

• Don't Russia Back to Finnish in Dover

Results are only viewable after voting.

Is this the one that effects the roads? What exactly is this?

So to cross the Channel you can go by Ferry or Train using the tunnel.

Now the French end has been disrupted a number of times recently re strikes and illegal immigrants coming over, causing stricter checks.

So that's the background and it's causing distribution to lorries and trucks.

We have two main motorways ( freeways) to Dover, the M20 that goes all the way, and the M2 combined with the A2.

They stack two queues of lorries on the M20 one for the ferry one for the Train, there is a third lane in between for emergency services, the motorway is a parking lot for the last few interchanges.

So for us,

If you can go by train and avoid the roads do.

Traffic is being diverted on the M2/A2 As the M20 is closed the Folkstone /Dover end. This is going to port, not coming back to London.

Big overhead gantry warnings are posted with diversions.

Allow extra time.
Good taxis good coaches will know and avoid the M20.
It may add some time as traffic is combined to one Motorway.
Bottlenecks near Dartford crossing ( combined with roadworks for removal of toll booths) and where M2 and A2 split occurs..

A number of roundabouts in Dover are closed, this is to stop lorries coming down the A2 and cutting into the line.

Taxis in Dover know how to get around it, I saw it on Friday so to and from port us longer but OK.

Do not panic, you will not miss the shop, but you may be later than planned.

Last edited:
image.jpg

This is a photo from Friday the roundabout for the cruise port, you will see to turn back its closed, but at that time you could turn in from the M20, but the M20 was closed bar lorries, you only see one lorry there but it was a steady stream of them, we had about 50 go through for a ferry and this was the last one or two. If you view the video posted here on Friday then you will see me pan down to this roundabout and a steady stream.

It seemed to get better around 10.30 it was worst at 6 am. So you may miss it.

DCL coaches were all arriving exactly at 7.30am at the port entrance so they must have known the issue and allowed for it. As said taxis to and from the train were going back and forth.

It was for me as a good driver pretty nerve wracking driving into roundabouts with a convoy of trucks coming through who clearly we're all late, upset, didn't sleep, and annoyed.

Any idea what time the car park opens? Will be allowing extra time for the journey so might even get there early and don't want to get turned away because the car park isn't open.

Any idea what time the car park opens? Will be allowing extra time for the journey so might even get there early and don't want to get turned away because the car park isn't open.

Do not get there before 10 am, I would say aim for 10.30am, there was one man at the entrance policing everyone entering, empty taxis and coaches and lorries for supplies got through, new cruisers didn't. I saw some around 9 am walking around in their matching T shirts as they were not allowed into the port.

There are car parks around all the piers and meter parking on the beach, some were just a £1 per hour, and didn't start until 9 am. If early park either at the seafront or in town and do some shopping.

The car park closest to the cruise pier was closed for security reasons due to the Magic bring there it said it would re open at 6 pm.

image.jpg

Port entrance security.

ID and Cruise docs were checked on cars, he knew the taxis and let coaches through.

image.jpg

Car being stopped, Magic in distance, the sign shows ships in dock, and has Disney Magic shown at the bottom at cruise terminal 2.

I haven't read through all the thread, so please excuse me asking a possibly already answered question.

Are there any meet ups arranged?
Embarkation day 2.30 Promenade lounge deck 3 aft. Not sure about a child specific one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter