July 22, 2015 * 12-night Northern European Cruise!

Vote for a nickname for our cruise! (Voting closes 5-21-14)

• Nuts for Northern Europe

• Mickey to Russia with Love

• The Mouse Who Loved Me

• Baltic Buccaneers

• Wishing Upon a Northern European Star: 12 Nights of Magic

• To Russia with Mickey Bars

• Creme de la Kremlin

• Tea, Goulash & Mickey Bars

• From Russia with (Mickey) Gloves...

• Don't Russia Back to Finnish in Dover

Results are only viewable after voting.
We'd like to see the stonehenge, but does anyone know if it is far from London and whether they have anything else of interest in that vicinity?

We'd like to see the stonehenge, but does anyone know if it is far from London and whether they have anything else of interest in that vicinity?

I heard that there are going to be some pre-cruise ABD trips. I could see Stonehenge being included.

We are Chuck, Lisa and Mason (15 at time of sailing). We booked this cruise while on board the Fantasy last week right at 8am when the desk opened for Platinum/Gold, and the rebooking lines were very long for the new itineraries. I have PM'd for FB access.

We will also want to participate in FE .

Chuck

We are Chuck, Lisa and Mason (15 at time of sailing). We booked this cruise while on board the Fantasy last week right at 8am when the desk opened for Platinum/Gold, and the rebooking lines were very long for the new itineraries. I have PM'd for FB access.

We will also want to participate in FE - 20 or so will be sufficient

Chuck

:welcome: How early did you have to get to the desk to be first in line when it opened?

:welcome: How early did you have to get to the desk to be first in line when it opened?

Hi this is Lisa. I got to the rebooking desk at approximately 6:15. 2 groups were already in front of me. The earliest group arrived at 5:30 am. Everyone got along well and shared DCL stories!!

We will also want to participate in FE .

Chuck

:welcome: ICEMANPAD! :yay:

One comment...one FB group works much better than 2 (or more)...we have seen a couple instances of split threads/FB pages and it inevitably causes dissension and other forms of grief...so if there is a way to combine the FB pages at this early stage, I would make a strong recommendation in that direction.

Chuck:cool1:

So, after careful review, it is my unbiased decision as OP, based solely on what I have gleaned from public and private posts, that this Meets thread will officially continue to use the 1st FB page. Of course, this really means nothing, as I am most definitely not the Great and Powerful Wizard of Oz, although I did sleep in a Holiday Inn once. ;) But, I sincerely hope that everyone will come together to help make this cruise fun and memorable. After all, that is the purpose of this Meets thread and a FB page.

Thanks very much for taking the time to go through all of this Deb. And for taking the bull by the horns and making a decision. I'm happy to continue receiving PM's and adding people to the FB group. I appreciate all the work that you've done to keep the first post updated. Thanks for going the extra mile for the group. :thanks:

I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone and sharing the planning of the cruise with all of you.

Please add us to the list DH, DW, and DD15 & DD12.

We are currently planning our trip to be in London for 4 days and Dover for 2 days.

Researching hotels vs. vacation rentals. We were in the UK last year on our way back from the MedCruise 2013 and found that the Tube was a great way to get around especially the double decker bus.

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

Welcome, we were on the 2010 cruise in the Med with you as part of our b2b :)

Mel
x

Hi kayochan,

Stonehenge is about 90 miles and 2 hours from London. You can drive, take a coach trip direct or a train to Salisbury (about 90 minutes) and then a bus tour (another 30 minutes). Salisbury is well worth seeing, it has a superb C13 Cathedral which has a very rare Magna Carta (first step in constitutional law). Salisbury itself is a beautiful traditional town. There is also an Iron Age fort "Old Sarum" on the outskirts.

Stonehenge has a new visitor centre which has only just opened, this needs to be booked ahead.

Hi again kayochan,

I've given this a little more thought. My preference would be to join a tour such as this one http://www.toursfromantiquity.com/, which in addition to Stonehenge offers a visit to the City of Bath (a beautiful Cotswold City with superb Roman Baths) and Avebury (Stonehenge's bigger, older brother).

I'll admit to being biassed about these since we live between Bath and Avebury, but Bath was only the second City in the World to get World Heritage status (after Florence) and at Avebury you can touch the stones; it has an enormous scale which dwarves Stonehenge and includes the enormous Silbury Hill and the amazing West Kennet Longbarrow.

More about the City of Bath here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath,_Somerset and

more about Avebury here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avebury

and West Kennet Longbarrow here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Kennet_Long_Barrow

Whatever you chose to do, have a great trip.

Welcome, we were on the 2010 cruise in the Med with you as part of our b2b :)

Mel
x
Hi, Mel:

Nice to bump into you again! I hope things are going well. We are very excited about this Baltic Cruise as with all the others.

We couldn't help go to the MedCruise2013 and saw Turkey - beautiful and Greece - absolutely a wonderful experience.

Please share your ideas for the Baltics.

I just realized that our cruise will be spending a night in Copenhagen.

- Geri

My wife & I will be sailing on this cruise, our 5th with DCL.

As UK residents, it will be our first where we haven't had to fly anywhere first, so we are definitely looking forward to that!

Looking forward to the discussions on this thread and seeing what people recommend for the various ports of call.

Philip

Hi again kayochan,

I've given this a little more thought. My preference would be to join a tour such as this one http://www.toursfromantiquity.com/, which in addition to Stonehenge offers a visit to the City of Bath (a beautiful Cotswold City with superb Roman Baths) and Avebury (Stonehenge's bigger, older brother).

I'll admit to being biassed about these since we live between Bath and Avebury, but Bath was only the second City in the World to get World Heritage status (after Florence) and at Avebury you can touch the stones; it has an enormous scale which dwarves Stonehenge and includes the enormous Silbury Hill and the amazing West Kennet Longbarrow.

More about the City of Bath here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath,_Somerset and

more about Avebury here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avebury

and West Kennet Longbarrow here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Kennet_Long_Barrow

Whatever you chose to do, have a great trip.

Thanks so much for your recommendations Dave. I'm definitely going to discuss this with the girls because I think it's something that we'd all enjoy.

My wife & I will be sailing on this cruise, our 5th with DCL.

As UK residents, it will be our first where we haven't had to fly anywhere first, so we are definitely looking forward to that!

Looking forward to the discussions on this thread and seeing what people recommend for the various ports of call.

Philip

:welcome:

... in addition to Stonehenge offers a visit to the City of Bath (a beautiful Cotswold City with superb Roman Baths) and Avebury (Stonehenge's bigger, older brother).

I second Bath and Avebury! I was in Melksham for work a few summers ago and people at the company I was working with highly recommended Avebury instead of Stonehenge. Not that you have to pick one or the other if the tour does both, but I didn't have time to do both since the primary focus of my visit was business. But Avebury was a closer drive and I was told I could get closer to the stones and touch them. On the way back from Avebury I stopped at Lacock which was a cute little village and used in some of the Harry Potter films. If I remember correctly, the Lacock Abbey was the the inspiration for Hogwarts and they filmed some shots there as well.

I also got to visit Bath on my journey from Manchester to Melksham. I really enjoyed Bath. It was nothing like I have seen before. The history is so interesting to me, especially growing up in a country whose history does not go back nearly as far. I am certainly not the expert as I am from the U.S., but that's the little bit I know :).

I am looking forward to more tips from the experts! The planning is almost as fun as the trip itself! :goodvibes

Hi All! :wave2: I put a hold on this cruise on Thursday, and just went ahead and paid the deposit. I'm not sure if we will definitely be taking this cruise yet though - I'll have to see what my DH thinks once we gets home from work. :rotfl: This would be our 5th DCL cruise (if we sail - fingers crossed!) - so far we've done a WBPC, WBTA, the Fantasy MV and a 7 night Alaskan cruise. If we will be keeping the booking, I'll update with more details and will join the FB page and maybe the FE as well.

Hope you come and welcome.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter