• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

July 22, 2015 * 12-night Northern European Cruise!

Vote for a nickname for our cruise! (Voting closes 5-21-14)

• Nuts for Northern Europe

• Mickey to Russia with Love

• The Mouse Who Loved Me

• Baltic Buccaneers

• Wishing Upon a Northern European Star: 12 Nights of Magic

• To Russia with Mickey Bars

• Creme de la Kremlin

• Tea, Goulash & Mickey Bars

• From Russia with (Mickey) Gloves...

• Don't Russia Back to Finnish in Dover

Results are only viewable after voting.
Welcome

I am in contact with Annasatsia to book private tours.

I emailed before we even booked and have got the info about a tour which I think will work for us with the kids. We will probably go with the Relaxing St Petersburg 2 day tour with maybe a couple of amendments (including obviously the change in start on day 1!)

Mel
x

Deb, we're up for the Fish Extender sky's the limit but I can't send you a PM with details until I've done 10 posts on here.

More excellent info - it's about a three hour drive for us from Wiltshire, M25 permitting.

What time should we aim to arrive in Dover? We're Silver so I realise we don't get any priority but would like to get on as early as possible.

I guess they will allocate Port Arrival times when you do online check in - you can usually choose from a selection depending on what is still available.

Last time we were later than planned due to traffic problems on A12 \ M25. My Dad drove us so we didn't have the car left in Dover as we were flying home from Barcelona. I am thinking of arriving the night before and doing a Premier Inn \ Travel Lodge so we can arrive nice and early depending on our Port Arrival Time.

Need to check out if there are any Premier Inns or similar near to the port!
Mel
x

We are enthusiastic geocachers, any others on board? We'll be planning to find some caches in each port, if there are any non-UK cachers interested in cache recommendations in London then let me know.

Mel
x

Thanks Mel. I was wondering about an overnight stay but difficult for 5 of us. I see there is a Premier Inn at the Eastern Port in Dover, anyone know how close that would be?

More excellent info - it's about a three hour drive for us from Wiltshire, M25 permitting.

What time should we aim to arrive in Dover? We're Silver so I realise we don't get any priority but would like to get on as early as possible.

The port terminal building is very small see my photos, it is on two floors with departures above, it was a little disorganised, if you think there is only three departures here in five years then whilst this terminal does all ships it's not as slick as Port Canaveral, the departures lounge however had a nice local type cafe I recall being tempted by a nice Cornish pasty as I drove without breakfast.

I would say embarkation will be a bit later the ships get in later than PC more 8am to 9.30 depends on the busy channel traffic and sea tides. There is little to do there bar the cage, you can't walk to town, well you can I did it on a non cruise day but not a present walk.

I would say no earlier than 10am, I did get there too early circa 8am and I could park my car and saw the first cruisers off, my luggage was taken my porters and there was a queue but it didn't go inside until all the people were off the previous cruise and then we went up the stairs a Lille at a time and check in didn't start till 10am, I would say 10.30 to 11am then you will not miss anything, there will be PATS as the terminal is very small.

I emailed before we even booked and have got the info about a tour which I think will work for us with the kids. We will probably go with the Relaxing St Petersburg 2 day tour with maybe a couple of amendments (including obviously the change in start on day 1!)

Mel
x

Good idea they are popular but a big firm, I have re written there proposed schedule re the arrival time and what we saw last time and do not want to do again, your your young family the big places of Peterfof, Pushkin, Catherine's palace, with hydrofoil are great, DCL did do a princess gala one night with Disney pro princesses which would be a fantastic expire acne but Aldo was circa $350pp. PS they take you shopping as well but it's a bit pricey.

I guess they will allocate Port Arrival times when you do online check in - you can usually choose from a selection depending on what is still available.

Last time we were later than planned due to traffic problems on A12 \ M25. My Dad drove us so we didn't have the car left in Dover as we were flying home from Barcelona. I am thinking of arriving the night before and doing a Premier Inn \ Travel Lodge so we can arrive nice and early depending on our Port Arrival Time.

Mel
x

As said do not get there too early there is nothing to do there bar a cafe and embarkation will start later than Barcelona and PC, aim for no earlier than 10am, and I will drive down on the day from Essex via M25, it will be rush hour as a weekday.
We are enthusiastic geocachers, any others on board? We'll be planning to find some caches in each port, if there are any non-UK cachers interested in cache recommendations in London then let me know.

I closest I got was hiding things in my stateroom and on ship for the next cruisers to find before DCL found them, a type of treasure hunt.

Thanks Mel. I was wondering about an overnight stay but difficult for 5 of us. I see there is a Premier Inn at the Eastern Port in Dover, anyone know how close that would be?

It's in town and a bit of a walk, do able I saw families lugging big suitcases up the roads, but this is more of a commercial port than cruise port and big HGV trucks going in and out on narrow roads across small bridges with little pedestrian walkway, I know the area well, me and my children walked around without bags on the first occasion the Magic was in the UK, we cruised a later one, but even without luggage it wasn't nice, it's short so you think you do not need a taxi but it's along the busy A20 and so you have to decide what's good for you, I would say Taxi.

On this the Magic docks on the long harbour at the bottom ( where it says inner harbour)the premier inn is a red spot in town. Under the A20 note on the road on Marine Parade, the famous Dover castle is at the top.

Car parking is near the terminal and in the old railway station, the terminal is the last building on the pier to the right.

image by Andrew D Porter, on Flickr

DOVER MAGIC 306 by Andrew D Porter, on Flickr

If we stay over it will be Taxi for us! I prefer to start my trip with the least amount of hassle!

Mel
x

If we stay over it will be Taxi for us! I prefer to start my trip with the least amount of hassle!

Mel
x

Agree, the site of people post cruise with masses of suite cases and souvieners with children in tow trying to hike it up the road to the Train Stn was not a pleasant sight, I think many misjudged it.

Hi guys...

I've been on DIS for years and written many a trip report...we'll be on this cruise me, DH B/G twins (14)....I see you started a FB page, but I think we had already started one right after we booked on Wednesday.. Can I request that we only have one? It's so much more fun. We still have our FB page going from our cruise this past June to Europe. Met so many cool people and we're all still friends....Please join us https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=225123977684256

OMG I think I know you! For real this has become my daughter's Aunt and her family is our family. So excited to cruise with her again. Welcome to the group! I am a part of the FB group and looking forward to fun and laughter

Hello!! We're booked and ready for another adventure! We did the Med last year as our first DCL cruise and we're hooked. We loved every minute and all the people we met (like Mindy above) are now life long friends! It will be myself, Lisa, DH-Rich, DD-Maggie (will be 12), and DS- Connor (will be 10). Looking forward to lots of planning and fun!!

I am so excited you are sailing on this one. Can't wait to sail again with you Lisa. True about life long friends

OMG I think I know you! For real this has become my daughter's Aunt and her family is our family. So excited to cruise with her again. Welcome to the group! I am a part of the FB group and looking forward to fun and laughter

Starts humming It's a Small World.

Some staterooms have been returned for sale after people put holds on them but the prices are up up up shoeing this cruise is selling well, Cat T is up $4k on Wednesdsy Cat 4a sold out, and the remaining 4 and 5s all up in price.

Some staterooms have been returned for sale after people put holds on them but the prices are up up up shoeing this cruise is selling well, Cat T is up $4k on Wednesdsy Cat 4a sold out, and the remaining 4 and 5s all up in price.

We'll be on the Magic this Christmas and I'm going to reshop this cruise then to see if the 10% OBB will give me a better price, but I'm not holding my breath.

We'll be on the Magic this Christmas and I'm going to reshop this cruise then to see if the 10% OBB will give me a better price, but I'm not holding my breath.

Some are over 10% higher now.

LATER

I will correct this post the prices have gone up and down this afternoon as staterooms return to inventory and currently for example Cat T has gone back to opening price.

Indicates a lot of holds being cancelled today from Thursday.

Wow, didn't check for a couple of days and a lot happened. :good vibes

Love all the new ideas, especially the Anastasia tour idea. Would definitely be interested in that. Thanks to everyone who has posted.

Getting more excited for this trip already.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter