July 2016

My trip bridges the June (more published hours) and July (more unknowns) schedules. We have 4.5 days, and I am working with the unknowns by splitting parks into a morning (rope dropping all but AK) and an evening over different days. We will use the last .5 day in Epcot (our favorite). Pool time midday, of course! Our FP allows us to go to AK midday (ugh for heat, but this will allow us to try out a new to us resort pool we will only be at for 1 day). No FP for the night we will return. I figure if Jungle Book is so crowded you need a FP for it, I would rather skip it and just enjoy the atmosphere of the park at night. We will use FP in MK both night and day we go, so have to skip HS FP. We will rope drop TSMM and hope for a single rider on RNRC or maybe go there last thing on evening EMH. 2 days of FP at Epcot allow me to have Soaring and TT for now. I will drop TT if Frozen appears, and we will do TT at rope drop. It is tricky to plan around the unknowns for meal times. We erred on the side of early meals (5-6 dinners), so we should have time to get wherever we want to go after dark.

I've been on two July 4th trips in the recent years. I have found the parks to be very manageable on 5th-9th dates. Epcot for the 4th is awesome.

I like the heat and the rain. Put on the ponchos and slosh through the rain.

Hopefully they will continue to have extended hours late into the evening. That is the best time in the summer.

That is great to hear! We are there for the 5th - 9th too! And, we are at Epcot on the 4th! Glad to hear that has proven to be a good plan in the past.

My trip bridges the June (more published hours) and July (more unknowns) schedules. We have 4.5 days, and I am working with the unknowns by splitting parks into a morning (rope dropping all but AK) and an evening over different days. We will use the last .5 day in Epcot (our favorite). Pool time midday, of course! Our FP allows us to go to AK midday (ugh for heat, but this will allow us to try out a new to us resort pool we will only be at for 1 day). No FP for the night we will return. I figure if Jungle Book is so crowded you need a FP for it, I would rather skip it and just enjoy the atmosphere of the park at night. We will use FP in MK both night and day we go, so have to skip HS FP. We will rope drop TSMM and hope for a single rider on RNRC or maybe go there last thing on evening EMH. 2 days of FP at Epcot allow me to have Soaring and TT for now. I will drop TT if Frozen appears, and we will do TT at rope drop. It is tricky to plan around the unknowns for meal times. We erred on the side of early meals (5-6 dinners), so we should have time to get wherever we want to go after dark.

Sounds like we have some similar ideas! I hope you have a magical trip!

That is great to hear! We are there for the 5th - 9th too! And, we are at Epcot on the 4th! Glad to hear that has proven to be a good plan in the past.

Last summer on the 8th, I wandered around a practically empty World Showcase at about noon. All the restaurants were empty. My family was over at the MK eating at Be Our Guest, and I went a different route. I had lunch in Spice Road and there was only one other guest.

If the Star Wars fireworks are even partially as good as the Frozen fireworks last year they will be fantastic.

Even though some of the rides are still crowded at 11:00 pm in MK, If you can stay until they close you can ride quite a few rides late at night with hardly any waits. I really enjoyed watching the fireworks from the Enchanted Tales with Belle area. There weren't as many people, and the fireworks were not lined up, but you get the feeling of being surrounded by the show.

I do think Hoppers are a must though. There just isn't enough to do in Epcot, DAK, and DHS to fill up entire days. So I split them with MK. The best time to be in DHS and MK is early and late. But, Epcot and DAK are really great from 3-7.

For some reason, one of the craziest long FP+ return lines is Spaceship Earth early in the day, but after 3 pm, all the secondary rides start clearing out at Epcot. You can ride Mission Space, Spaceship Earth, Figment, Nemo, Energy Ride, see Crush, and ride the Land with very little waits. Plus restaurants are easy to get in for dinner from 4-6.

Animal Kingdom empties out around 3, and that is when I like to arrive. With the new night time show, that might change some, but I doubt it. The show will probably eat up all the guests, and the rest of the park will be empty.

So, I like to take advantage of different times at each park, then enjoy one of the nightly shows. I end up at MK more than other parks.

I actually enjoyed my July trip more than the October trip. With Food and Wine and the Halloween Party - two parks were almost impossible to move in. Have fun.

Last edited:

It's great reading about some different strategies for touring for the summer. We were there for Christmas, and our plans went surprisingly well even though we were there with holiday crowds. The only park I didn't feel went well was EP. It was our first time with FP + and I definitely did not hit upon the right FP strategy for EP. It was too much back and forth and the timing was all off.

It seems that AK may be the biggest change for some of us with their evening hours. I really like rope drop and then go til we drop around 3 or so in the afternoon. It's kind of nice to have an early night back at the resort. We did that for Christmas Eve, and it was one of my favorite days. I really love AK more each time I go there. I'm so excited for the nighttime events so we will definitely need to come up with a new plan for that park as well.

It's great reading about some different strategies for touring for the summer. We were there for Christmas, and our plans went surprisingly well even though we were there with holiday crowds. The only park I didn't feel went well was EP. It was our first time with FP + and I definitely did not hit upon the right FP strategy for EP. It was too much back and forth and the timing was all off.

It seems that AK may be the biggest change for some of us with their evening hours. I really like rope drop and then go til we drop around 3 or so in the afternoon. It's kind of nice to have an early night back at the resort. We did that for Christmas Eve, and it was one of my favorite days. I really love AK more each time I go there. I'm so excited for the nighttime events so we will definitely need to come up with a new plan for that park as well.

I agree, I have always liked in the past being able to do a half day in the AM at AK and having the 2nd half of the day to relax.

I got to book my FP+ passes night! It definitely takes planning. I had all of the park maps laid out on my kitchen table with each of my family members priority lists for rides and made a whole day plan ahead of time for each park so that we didn't have to do extra walking. My DH was laughing so hard at me, but I love puzzles!

We check in on July 2nd and leave the evening of July 5th. It's frustrating that they are showing closing hours at 10pm when it seems like those will be extended. They also haven't extended the extra magic morning hours through July yet, which I am hoping they'll do.

I've never been over July 4th and wonder if we are crazy, but our plan is more ADR table service meals (AC & relax) and to be okay with not getting to do everything (we go about once or twice a year anyway). We made early morning ADRs in the parks on 2 of our 4 mornings. Rope drop crowds get me anxious, so for me it's worth breakfast to avoid them.

Have you all been surprised how many ADRs are still available? We were able to get almost everything we wanted and we only booked a couple of weeks ago.

We book our FP on the 2nd so I plan on staying up on the 1st to book them, but since we are central time, I only have to stay up until 11. Fingers crossed :)
Bummed that the Frozen ride is not yet booking FP.

Waiting on the desert party too. And a little nervous about the uncertainty of getting a Jedi Training spot for my Star Wars kids. I've been scoping all the JTA threads so I have a good plan but having never done it before I'm a little nervous!

Nice idea with getting the Akershus ADR.

I am with you on the Jedi Training threads. I've been stalking them, haha! I don't even want to tell our 4 year old about it in fear we won't be able to sign up. We made an 8am at Hollywood & Vine hoping to get to sign ups early. But I hate that anxious feeling of everyone bombarding the line together.

I am with you on the Jedi Training threads. I've been stalking them, haha! I don't even want to tell our 4 year old about it in fear we won't be able to sign up. We made an 8am at Hollywood & Vine hoping to get to sign ups early. But I hate that anxious feeling of everyone bombarding the line together.

I originally booked a Hollywood and Vine 8 am, but with all I've been reading about them letting the JTA folks in way early before rope drop, I was worried they would let the rest of the folks waiting for JTA at the rope in at 8:30 while I was still eating, so I cancelled it. I don't know which is the right choice, ahh!

We check in on July 2nd and leave the evening of July 5th. It's frustrating that they are showing closing hours at 10pm when it seems like those will be extended. They also haven't extended the extra magic morning hours through July yet, which I am hoping they'll do.

I've never been over July 4th and wonder if we are crazy, but our plan is more ADR table service meals (AC & relax) and to be okay with not getting to do everything (we go about once or twice a year anyway). We made early morning ADRs in the parks on 2 of our 4 mornings. Rope drop crowds get me anxious, so for me it's worth breakfast to avoid them.

Have you all been surprised how many ADRs are still available? We were able to get almost everything we wanted and we only booked a couple of weeks ago.

We book our FP on the 2nd so I plan on staying up on the 1st to book them, but since we are central time, I only have to stay up until 11. Fingers crossed :)

I totally agree about the ADRs. I have rearranged my ADRs more on this vacation than any other trip I've done and have always found what I am looking for. I wonder if everyone is doing the same thing. I was surprised too!

And, I don't think we are crazy, I think the 4th will be awesome! Busy, but awesome! I totally agree with your thought on booking lots of sit down meals to beat the heat and crowds by the way!

Without Free Dining in July, I've never had trouble getting reservations for most places the day of. There are the exceptions of course: character meals in the parks, chef mickeys, le Cellier etc.

I stopped booking ADRs when they included the credit card guarantee for non character meals. But last July we were able to walk up for early dinners or lunches in more places than I can count. Coral Reef, Tokyo Dining, Kona, Wave, GF Cafe, Spice Road, yak yeti, sanaa, Jiko, Boma, and on and on.

Without Free Dining in July, I've never had trouble getting reservations for most places the day of. There are the exceptions of course: character meals in the parks, chef mickeys, le Cellier etc.

I stopped booking ADRs when they included the credit card guarantee for non character meals. But last July we were able to walk up for early dinners or lunches in more places than I can count. Coral Reef, Tokyo Dining, Kona, Wave, GF Cafe, Spice Road, yak yeti, sanaa, Jiko, Boma, and on and on.

I think this is great perspective. Some of my friends I talk to say that they don't like how early you have to plan everything for a Disney vacation. I always reply with, the great thing about Disney is that it works for everyone. Booking ADRs 180 in advance for people like me feels amazing, but if you don't want to book ADRs until just before your trip or not at all, there are tons of options still.

I think this is great perspective. Some of my friends I talk to say that they don't like how early you have to plan everything for a Disney vacation. I always reply with, the great thing about Disney is that it works for everyone. Booking ADRs 180 in advance for people like me feels amazing, but if you don't want to book ADRs until just before your trip or not at all, there are tons of options still.

I did find out last year that some restaurants Require ADRs. La Hacienda, boatwrights, and another I forgot.

I did make reservations for Tusker House last year for as soon as the restaurant opened. I like being the first person in line for buffets. It's much cleaner! :sunny:

I did find out last year that some restaurants Require ADRs. La Hacienda, boatwrights, and another I forgot.

I did make reservations for Tusker House last year for as soon as the restaurant opened. I like being the first person in line for buffets. It's much cleaner! :sunny:

There are definitely some that require ADRs like Califurnia grill, CRT, and BOG for dinner. And, for me, I prefer making all my meals ADRs. There are so many great options that even those folks that don't get ADRs to those places will still have the opportunity to have great meals at other places. :)

My departure is July 20. We are traveling with a group of 12, so we have two groups with different plans. One group will be leaving early for rope drop, spending 2 hours at the park, then back to the hotel for swimming and back to the same park in the afternoon. At the same time (those who may like to sleep in) will do just that and also go to the parks later on.

It's frustrating that they are showing closing hours at 10pm when it seems like those will be extended. They also haven't extended the extra magic morning hours through July yet, which I am hoping they'll do.
So do they usually have more?
We'll be there for 3 days, a Sat. at MK, a Sunday at Epcot, and a Monday at MK. Do you think they'll add in the early morning hours on any of these days?

It's my first time going in over 15 years so all my knowledge is coming from these boards.
Being able to get there an hour early will definitely change my FP selections -- or I'll just keep the ones I have planned and add in more downtime. I'm actually not sure if I have enough down time in the plan for the day but I'm not worried about it.
If we have to skip something, that's fine. There's always a next time. After breaking the seal on this trip, so to speak, I think we'll be going one every other year or so.

Traveling to DW at the beginning of July, FP+ window is coming fast! I've been researching a bunch and have ideas, but I was wondering if anyone else out there had some "magic" ideas in terms of planning for each of the parks with all of the unknowns out there right now.

The dis is having their 10 year anniversary at the end of july.. can you wait 3 more weeks? the dis owns this forum and there will be over 1000 other like minded people doing their special events. You also get their special pricing for rooms and let me tell you, I"ve never seen the rooms at this low before....

So do they usually have more?
We'll be there for 3 days, a Sat. at MK, a Sunday at Epcot, and a Monday at MK. Do you think they'll add in the early morning hours on any of these days?

It's my first time going in over 15 years so all my knowledge is coming from these boards.
Being able to get there an hour early will definitely change my FP selections -- or I'll just keep the ones I have planned and add in more downtime. I'm actually not sure if I have enough down time in the plan for the day but I'm not worried about it.
If we have to skip something, that's fine. There's always a next time. After breaking the seal on this trip, so to speak, I think we'll be going one every other year or so.

The regular extra magic hours are posted, you can find them in your MDE itinerary or on the Disney website.

There is also something new called early morning magic hours that costs money that may not have been posted yet. In this experience, you show up really early to MK and have full access with an "empty" park to Mine Train, Whinnie the Pooh, and Peter Pan. If you are interested in that you can search it in the DIS boards and there are a bunch of threads about it. It's been getting good reviews, I just don't know all the details because I know we aren't going to spend the money for it (this trip at least).

The dis is having their 10 year anniversary at the end of july.. can you wait 3 more weeks? the dis owns this forum and there will be over 1000 other like minded people doing their special events. You also get their special pricing for rooms and let me tell you, I"ve never seen the rooms at this low before....

That sounds cool! Unfortunately, we can't wait! This is the only time that works for my fam. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter