July 2011

Our January trip went well. We popped over a couple times to see if we could catch you working. Friday and maybe Sunday I think was when we went. Obviously we didn't have any luck with that. Monday he took the all day/4 park tour. When it was over the tour guide asked him if he had ever thought about working there. He said that's all he talked about as a kid, but had no idea how to go about it. She told him where to go, so Tuesday he went over to the casting center, did an online application. Later that day he got an email asking him to fill out the next online survey/application thing. He did that while we were waiting around until time to catch the Magic Express. He passed that and got an email to set up an in person interview. Sooooo now he is going back down and interviewing February 15th. I think we are flying him down tuesday and back on thursday. He'll be staying at AK-Jambo, no parks.

Then in March, me, hubby, Sean and Ryne will be going down for a "week" (ck in Sunday afternoon and out early Saturday morning). Mark, the youngest - 18 - didn't want to go :eek: I can't believe one of my children has Disney burn-out, but apparently he does. :sad2:

I don't know how quickly the Disney hiring wheels turn, but that trip will be a month after Sean's interview so maybe he will know something by then :confused3 If he does get on there, he will be applying for a Florida teaching certificate so he can look for a full time job teaching down there and hopefully working at WDW weekends, holidays, summers part-time

But back to your trip! I love that Dart takes his cars to see Cars. And, for the record ;), it isn't just the 4-8 year-old boys that are way into Cars....I have an 18 year old who wishes they had more adult size Cars clothing. He does have the Buzz costume-T shirt :thumbsup2 Buzz and Lightning are his faves!

Loved your update and can't wait for the next installment!!!! DD wants to know which AG dolls are in the pic with Snow White n your siggie....Elizabeth? And who?

I do love reading your reports and seeing your pics -
Hope all is going well with your CM job.
Where do you work at WDW - if you can not say that is ok I understand.
Waiting for the Part II !

I think I missed an update or two along the way, but I so enjoy your TRs and I'm glad its not over yet. What a fun last day and Dart's shirt is too cute.

Must have been frustrating to be waiting to hear about your interview. But a bonus trip in august is never a bad thing! :thumbsup2

Yeah - another TR!!!:cool1:
I can't imagine logging onto the DIS and not being able to read a TR or PTR from Emma!
Amy

Oh Bummer! I was thinking of you guys too! At the middle of January I was taking classes away from the resort, so maybe that was why you couldn't find me? It's funny how it's so busy that you can miss people, even though it's a smallish lobby. When they did a motion camera video of putting up Stitch's Gingerbread house at Christmas, I was there the day they were filiming, and I deliberately walked through the lobby in the camera's eye a ton -- but you can only see me like twice, speeding by as a red blur.

ANYway, that is so awesome about your DS -- Congratulations to Sean!! Wow, he heard back really quick. I applied online from home, and when I called casting to ask, they said three weeks was the absolute soonest I would hear back. Sure enough, three weeks to the day I got the email with the online survey. lol, maybe I should've applied online at casting, or maybe your DS just impressed them more! :goodvibes So he must be here right now - here's wishing him good luck on his interview, I'm sure he'll ace it!

I've been meaning to do a post on how the casting process worked for me, how long things took etc. I'll do that in a separate post!

LOL, and you're absolutely right -- the bigger boys in our family will get down on the floor and have a Cars car race too! :thumbsup2

He is on the plane as I type this! I'm torn - I am hoping it works out because...well, because working at Disney would be so cool! But, he has a teaching degree and student loans. Somehow I don't think moving to Florida, having to pay rent, and working at Disney will pay those off :confused3 He does intend to get a job teaching also, but down there he won't have any connections like he does up here. He student taught in a couple different schools where he went to college, plus volunteered at the schools at home. Hopefully everything will all work out.

WOW - What a process you had to go through!
So you went down in August, then you had to go back 3 weeks later??
Do I have that correct? If so, did you fly down by yourself or did someone go with you?
Too bad you couldn't take referrals - you know you would have had a ton from the DIS Boards letting WDW know they needed to hire you:thumbsup2
So glad you got the job:cool1:
Amy

What a story!

I have often heard that WDW is the largest employer in the state of Florida, so I imagine that it is very difficult to manage every aspect of the hiring, training, and staffing of such a work force.

It is great to hear that the "realistic" part of working at WDW has not dimmed your enthusiasm for helping create the magic for the guests. I often tell my DD (who is entering college and already talking about working at Disney) that there is a functional side of every job that we all have to deal with, including getting the job.

I hope that you continue to find happiness in your work there. No matter how beautiful the buildings and grounds are, the CMs are the ones that make it happen. Thanks for being part of it!

What a process!! I should be glad I haven't had to look for a job for quite some time! Good for you for following through!

I don't know if I missed it or you didn't say, but are you allowed to tell us at which resort you work? Are you doing PT or FT work now?Hopefully we can meet you on our next trip!

geez Emma!...I remember you talking about most of this before, but I forgot how strung out it really was! That wore me out just reading about it! LOL!! I am just glad you have all that behind you and you are an official Disney girl!!

Congratulations! Way to stick with it through that long process.

And OT: Another for Downton Disney. I'm totally into the second season right now!

Wow...what an ordeal you went through! I'm sure it's all worth it now though. :goodvibes We'll be heading down in September and I'd love to say HI in person!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter