July 18 2009 Tortola - Part 2!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ordered shirts for all of us last night. DH wasn't too sure at first. I don't think he quite gets the DIS board although he does appreciate the information I receive. Since the 18th is his birthday he thought it was cool that the date was on the shirt (thanks for putting that option out there). But he wasn't sure if the captain would appreciate our shirts saying we wanted to Mutiny. :rotfl:

Now I just have to finish my FE gifts and our FE!:woohoo:

My mother was making our FE. I gave her some rough ideas of what I wanted-- she doesn't really 'get' the DIS boards and the idea of FE's. Got an email this morning that she has finished it! I'll go pick it up in a couple of weeks when I got to visit. Can't wait to see how it turned out!

DH really didn't get the DIS boards until we met everyone on the Med cruise. My kids still think I'm nuts but at least DH understands now. Just wait until we have our DIS meet. He'll get it and actually appreciate the DIS for the wonderful friendships we've made and continue to make.

You know, we're pretty private people and always vacation by ourselves - and enjoy that. So he had misgivings about not having our own time and feeling obligated to be with our DIS friends. Nothing could be further from the truth. He realized that everyone respected that not everyone wanted to hang out together all the time. It was also comforting to have friends you could depend on if you forgot something or in an emergency. It was like we were one big family. We've met the most wonderful people on the DIS and are so looking forward to meeting each and every one of you all. :love:

I agree the DIS is wonderful! We've learned so much on this board over the years. On our last cruise we were part of a group but it was small and not very active. The meet was very brief (less then 30 min.) and we never saw anyone again. This was before FE's got started too.

He will be fine and he does appreciate the wonderful info we've received. In fact when he has a question about something he reminds to ask the board (as if he needs to tell me). :lmao:

I got an ipod touch for Mother's Day. Matt couldn't wait to give it to me so he could play with it. Now I'm trying to decide which of the Disney apps to put on it. I would love to have an app for the cruise.

Have fun with your ipod!

Well thankfully I'm home, I couldn't stand that heat for very long. Today is supposed to be 73 - Perfect!!

I found out that I'm getting a necklace and the stone is my favorite one that starts with an E. That's Noah's idea of keeping my gift a secret. :rotfl:

Lucky you!

DH really didn't get the DIS boards until we met everyone on the Med cruise. My kids still think I'm nuts but at least DH understands now. Just wait until we have our DIS meet. He'll get it and actually appreciate the DIS for the wonderful friendships we've made and continue to make.

You know, we're pretty private people and always vacation by ourselves - and enjoy that. So he had misgivings about not having our own time and feeling obligated to be with our DIS friends. Nothing could be further from the truth. He realized that everyone respected that not everyone wanted to hang out together all the time. It was also comforting to have friends you could depend on if you forgot something or in an emergency. It was like we were one big family. We've met the most wonderful people on the DIS and are so looking forward to meeting each and every one of you all. :love:

I agree the DIS is wonderful! We've learned so much on this board over the years. On our last cruise we were part of a group but it was small and not very active. The meet was very brief (less then 30 min.) and we never saw anyone again. This was before FE's got started too.

He will be fine and he does appreciate the wonderful info we've received. In fact when he has a question about something he reminds to ask the board (as if he needs to tell me). :lmao:

MaryAnn and noahsmom,

Well said! I've experience first hand how wonderful our dis friends are in an emergency. It is definitely like one big family.

I agree about all the positives ouctomes because of the Dis boards. On our first cruise, we got lots of great ideas for traveling with the children. That part was new to us. (We love the over the door-shoe holder.) And it really helped in planning for the trip. It also made me crazy trying to decide which side of the ship was better. :lmao:

The best part was when someone announced about the "fall fantasy plus" for a couple cruises the night before I was to pay off the cruise. I asked Disney about that promotion and was told that one wasn't but just the fall fantasy was being applied. That knocked off $1375 off the cruise. The travel agent decided to knock of another $125 for a total savings of $1500!! (This was for one Cat. 6. I miss those days.) He said he just wouldn't send us the bottle of wine that he usually sent customers. Fine with us. I'm sure if he had any other people booked on that cruise he was able to get the rate for them making him look really good. (This was a last week in August cruise. I miss traveling during that week.)

The next cruise I got a little more involved with the Dis boards. I read more than wrote on the thread though. Verandah Man became our new friend from that cruise. I told the family that we were going this time to the Dis Meet. I didn't want the family to think I had gone overboard on all of this, so I didn't do the shirts. Wouldn't you know when we were standing in line to board the ship (remember that system), we met some fellow Disers with the matching shirts, and my husband leans over and whispers, "Why don't we have matching shirts?" :rotfl:He was sold.

I have to admit that we were booked on the July 25, 2009 cruise but there was hardly any activity on that board. This one seemed to have more fun people involved. We find being part of a Dis group, really adds to our vacation. The kids love it. Plus there is the bonus of Tortola.

:grouphug: To our Dis board friends.:grouphug:

I can't wait to get the documents! After reading some of the comments from the boards, I am seriously thinking about changing excursions in Tortola. We chose the Baths excursion but the more I read about it the more I think this is not for me. Sounnds like lots of walking and climbing but very little beach time....

I can't wait to get the documents! After reading some of the comments from the boards, I am seriously thinking about changing excursions in Tortola. We chose the Baths excursion but the more I read about it the more I think this is not for me. Sounnds like lots of walking and climbing but very little beach time....

I've been reading the same thread as you were. I have to admit that Brewster's Beach sounded nice. And it seems like it might be less crowded. I just don't know. I've also been reading things from the Cruise Critic about Tortola.

I love looking at the couple's picture. The one thing that freaked me out were the pictures of the chickens/rosters. I am very afraid of birds. (I was chased by a larger roster when I was 5 and never got over it.:scared1:)

Hey everyone :) ! Still no test results yet which is frustrating the living daylights out of me. I called my Dr this afternoon but forgot they closed at 4:30 on Fridays so I'll have to call again tomorrow morning. I normally wouldn't be worried but i'm eating very little and not keeping much of it down. On the plus side I've lost 20 pounds this week not the bets way to do it but I'll take the weight loss.

Because of my health issues we are not booking any excursions ahead of time. I have no way of knowing how I'll feel at the time or be up to doing. Which kind of stinks because our first two cruise were really active and I really wanted this one to be too. Guess we will just have to wait and see. Still got to do my online forms and fax in my med form so i can.

I would say what I got my mom for Mother's day but I know for a fact that she lurks here. so on the chance that she reads this before Sunday I'll post that later. Have a great weekend y'all!

Lissa

I agree about the disboards. The first time, we had very little involvement with the group. Our second cruise, we met up with the group (including Dizzyworld) and had a lot of fun, and it made it great for the kids - especially DD. I also looked at the July 25th, but this cruise seemed much more lively crew:banana:

Speaking of which, I know there are some 9/10 yo boys going. I would love to get DS a pal before leaving, so if anyone is interested, let me know.

I am a little confused about the Baths to be honest. I keep seeing people in water in the caves, which looks cool, but then people are talking about sneakers and hiking? I do not quite get it.

I am not too worried about the beach, since I think in St. Thomas we will just hang out at Coral World and maybe Coki or Sapphire Beach.

Well said!:thumbsup2

The Baths are a very special trip but..........there is a rigorous climbing, walking section before you get TO THE MOST PRISTINE BEACH YOU'VE EVER BEEN TO.......I've done it twice and this spring, I couldn't believe how special it still was........that being said, I have no idea what I'm doing yet. The BVIs are amazing no matter where you go!!:goodvibes

I agree about the disboards. The first time, we had very little involvement with the group. Our second cruise, we met up with the group (including Dizzyworld) and had a lot of fun, and it made it great for the kids - especially DD. I also looked at the July 25th, but this cruise seemed much more lively crew:banana:

Speaking of which, I know there are some 9/10 yo boys going. I would love to get DS a pal before leaving, so if anyone is interested, let me know.

I am a little confused about the Baths to be honest. I keep seeing people in water in the caves, which looks cool, but then people are talking about sneakers and hiking? I do not quite get it.

I am not too worried about the beach, since I think in St. Thomas we will just hang out at Coral World and maybe Coki or Sapphire Beach.

My DS is 10 and will be in 5th grade next year! He has been asking about kids his age as well... what does he like to do? DD (almost 16) is all over the teen thread...

We can talk about excursions tomorrow at dinner! We are doing the forest/beach combination.

From what I understand there are 2 different ways to go. One is to hike down (and back). The other is a boat which drops you off and you need to swim (or walk) in the the caves.

The Baths are a very special trip but..........there is a rigorous climbing, walking section before you get TO THE MOST PRISTINE BEACH YOU'VE EVER BEEN TO.......I've done it twice and this spring, I couldn't believe how special it still was........that being said, I have no idea what I'm doing yet. The BVIs are amazing no matter where you go!!:goodvibes

Then it seems it is absolutely worth the hike. Last summer we did the ABD in Wyoming. DH, who loves to hike, got the bright idea to hike up 2000 ft more, we were already at 9000ft, to Jade Lake. Another couple decided to do the hike with us. Well about halfway up there, I'm thinking this is not worth it unless someone was going to hand out $100 bills at the top. :rotfl::rotfl: Well, when we got there, we saw the most beautiful lake, the color of Jade and a moose outlined in the snow (yes snow in July, that's how high we were). I will never forget it. Certain things are just worth the effort.

♥sassy♥tink♥;31736739 said:
My DS is 10 and will be in 5th grade next year! He has been asking about kids his age as well... what does he like to do? DD (almost 16) is all over the teen thread...

Oh good - he is typical boy - loves video games, swimming, running around the ship and shooting hoops. Patrick will be in 5th grade as well. Last time there weren't any kids his age in the dis meet, but I told him I saw a few this time. last time we went, he went to the clubs occassionally, but it was a shorter cruise, so I am hoping he uses them a little more this time.

I sent DD the link for the thread (15) but soccer just ended Thurs, so I do not think she went on yet. I will make sure she does.

Oh good - he is typical boy - loves video games, swimming, running around the ship and shooting hoops. Patrick will be in 5th grade as well. Last time there weren't any kids his age in the dis meet, but I told him I saw a few this time. last time we went, he went to the clubs occassionally, but it was a shorter cruise, so I am hoping he uses them a little more this time.

I sent DD the link for the thread (15) but soccer just ended Thurs, so I do not think she went on yet. I will make sure she does.

Sounds perfect! Jackson loves doing all of that too... if they don't get a chance to "talk" before the cruise, we can try and meet at the terminal, or at least Sunday morning at the DIS meet. If your daughter gets on the teen link - maybe the big sisters can get the little brothers to "chat" for a minute.:cool1:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter