July 15, 2013- WONDER if a Mickey Bar will melt in Alaska?

Hi all

Nurse Becky was doing some prelim looking about our cruise. Found a report on Cruise critic and poster said to bring an assortment of stuff and be prepared to layer as we can be hot one moment and cold the next. Suggested a lined jacket. Guess now is the time to shop for one if you need one as come july the stores wont have any. You'll get the look why would you want this in July? Ran into the same problem trying to find a light jacket for our Jan carib cruise.
Nurse Beck also said to tell all of a good web site called travelalaska.com

Camlov my will be 8yr grandson is excited that there will be some kids his age on the trip. hopeing to meet up with them if we have a meet and greet or mingle.

Everyone stay well

cheers,
Ducksquack

I read a lot about layers too. I also read most people got away with not buying anything new and just layering but I bought each of my kids a used 3 in 1 jacket. They don't have anything warmer than a hoodie since we have like 5-10 days a year here that get under 65ish. I have been shopping the sales for winter clothes in the next size up- trying not to go overboard!

chris44- we are flying home the next day, but I think a 2:00 flight is doable. Not really for sure though- just based on some stuff I read.

We went last year in August. The coldest day is Tracy Arm day. We spent hours outside in 32 to 40 degree weather. It is absolutely gorgeous. They have a BBQ set up out on deck at the beach blanket buffet and most of the tables available were outside on the pool deck. So yes that is the day you will need a coat for the most as well as a hat and gloves. But most of the time we were good with jeans, shirt, and sweater or sweatshirt but we are from Washington state so we are used to seasons. :santa: The dining rooms did get a little chilly sometimes. There are blankets available if you want to sit up on deck and be cozy and warm. :3dglasses

Started looking into shore excursions and can't decide where the cost/memories limit needs to be set. 20+ years ago I went on my first Alaskan cruise with my Mom and we went on the helicopter ride which landed on a glacier. I still have strong memories of that ride till this day, I think I was 10-11 at the time. I would like to give that same experience to my son who is 9 but wonder if he would get just as much out of something cheaper. If I choose for the three of us to do that excursion it would be the only one of the trip... Ideas/comments would be appreciated.

ducksquack-I am sure my son would love to make a new friend on the trip. Not sure if it is an option for your grandson but maybe they can skype before the trip so that they have someone to look forward to meeting when they get on board.

Every review I have read of the helicopter/ glacier/ (and dog sledding add on) has said it was totally worth the money. That is in Juneau, right? Ketchikan is a super walkable town and I have read it has the best shopping so that seems like an easy port to not have an excursion planned. The creek runs through the main part of town and I have heard if the timing is right, you can see the salmon running in the creek- so that may happen.

Hello Everyone!! so excited to be here!! just booked our FIRST ever cruise and a Disney one at that!! :jumping1:

DH and I have been to WDW before the kids came along, and we all just got back from DL California in January phew!

Going on this trip is:
Me :yay: and DH :woohoo:
DS(3) :charac4:pirate:
DD(1) :cloud9::upsidedow
:grouphug:
my mom & MIL
my bro, SIL & 3 nephews(3), (6) and (8)

Can't wait to start planning and packing! would love to participate in the FE, sounds like x-mas in July LOL!! :santa:and I guessing I won't be able to join the FB group till I reach 10 posts??

Welcome! Our kids are almost the same age. My son will be 3 in Sept and my daughter will be 1 next week and we are also traveling with my in-laws. We went to DL in December. I'll PM you the facebook details- and anyone else who wants them!

Welcome! Our kids are almost the same age. My son will be 3 in Sept and my daughter will be 1 next week and we are also traveling with my in-laws. We went to DL in December. I'll PM you the facebook details- and anyone else who wants them!

Thank you! I got your PM but couldn't send you one back until I reach 10 posts, but I think I sent a request to join the FB page, my real name is Abby :wave2:

Yes, the kids are quite close in age, my son will just turn 4 a couple of days before the cruise and my daughter will be 21 mths. I'm wondering how she'll do in the nursery if we do decide to leave her there...:worried:

So which hotel is everyone staying at in Vancouver? we are driving up from Seattle and need to park the car somewhere, Vinci park by the cruise terminal is $184/wk! Am trying to find a better option, like a stay and cruise package, getting in on the 14th.

We are planning on putting our kids in the nursery a fair amount. My son is super flexible and likely won't care one bit. I am a bit worried he will be bored- he will be 2 months shy of 3 and is all boy. He is potty trainied, so I know the club may be an option, but the idea of him mixed in with 10 year olds isn't super appealing either. I like the idea of keeping them together. And- he can get his pants down fine, getting them up isn't 100%- but there's time I guess! My daughter is a bit more particular on who she is with, but I think if my son is there, she'll be fine. We are planning on putting them there for 2-3 full dinners and possibly the second hour of dinner the rest of the nights. Just eating with them is not relaxing at all and I think they would rather be playing anyway! We were considering the Deadliest Catch excursion which kids have to be 5 for, but now we are looking at the Wilderness Explorer and Crab Feast one, which seems pretty similar but the kids can come.

We have not gotten out hotel stuff yet.

I am now flying into Seattle on SW and will spend 1 night and then take the train to Vancouver and will spend 2 nights and we are staying at the hotel that is next to Canada place.

Hi all
yes there is life after a great superbowl game. Both teams played great and my calif shipmates should be proud of the 49ers. 7months and its pre season time. now back to reality.

Disney gives the ship terminal as 999 canada Place. Mapquest zeroed right in on it. Also checked it out on the AAA vancouver area map. Looks like the amtrak station and airport are close. AS of now we are flying in from Balt a day early to seattle and doing overnight in vancouver. looking for some reasonable places to stay. maybe scan travel sites like orbitz and priceline to see what they have to offer. Priceline has to be good if Capt Kirk says so :rotfl2:: Will drive back to seattle do an overnight and fly out next day.
Even with hotel and rent a car still cheaper than balt to vancouver airfare.

Dis person said any flight aftet 12pm will be ok the day we dock

Sugg for those rent a car. u can get aaa and aarp discounts but last year got a real good deal using costcos discount code. if ur a member pick up their tvl booklet and look in the back. wud imagine sams club and bj's has similiar offers
enuf for now
all take care and stay healthy
cheers,
ducksquack

Please watch your flights as my mom's flight out of vancouver was canceled. She will have to now make an. 1130am flight.

Hi all.
hope winter isn't getting you down too much.
Would like to know if any of you who may have some knowledge of the area can recommend hotels that are not too far from the ships port. Would be even better if they provide van service to the terminal.
We have res for a balt to seattle flt and will drive to vancouver that day and do an over night.
Take care and stay healthy
cheers,
ducksquack

We are driving to Vancouver from Yakima, WA its about a 6 hour drive with breaks and border time. We were contemplating staying at the hotel connected to the pier. We are leaving the morning of instead and should be there about 10:30-2 of us are used to being wide awake and at work by 5 in the morning. We are parking there and already have reservations for a space and have already paid the $184 fee. (They tax on top of the fee and another tax otherwise is starts out at $132.) Its the pan pacific hotel and all you have to do is walk down the pier to the ship. I don't know how much you want to spend but it would be the closest and easiest option. There are also a couple of other hotels 2 blocks away.

Thanks for the info AJ. Also found some other suggestions in a cruise critic search. just want to get this done soonest as it's bugging me. will also need to get accomodations in seattle as we are doing an overnight there. looking to do a meal atop the space tower. I am sure you will love your hawaii cruise. we did one about two years ago. biggest problem is trying to decide what shore excursions to do. one i would sugg if you are going to big island is a helo trip over the volcanos.
thanks again
ducksquack

Hi all.
hope winter isn't getting you down too much.
Would like to know if any of you who may have some knowledge of the area can recommend hotels that are not too far from the ships port. Would be even better if they provide van service to the terminal.
We have res for a balt to seattle flt and will drive to vancouver that day and do an over night.
Take care and stay healthy
cheers,
ducksquack

I've been doing some research as well, we'll be driving up from Seattle and contemplating staying overnight before the cruise OR driving up the same day and parking at Vince park next to port ($184). Here are some hotels I found with park&cruise package:
Coast plaza (cruise package) $249
http://www.coasthotels.com/hotels/canada/bc/vancouver/coast_plaza/packages_and_specials/cruise

Best Western plus (cruise package) $259
http://www.bestwesterndowntown.com/cruise-transfer-package.html

Comfort Inn (cruise pkg) $230
http://www.vancouvercomfort.com/cruise-ship-packages.html

Robson suites (has park&cruise pkg)
http://www.robsonsuitesvancouver.com/downtown-vancouver-hotel-specials.html

Holiday Inn Express Riverport (park&cruise pkg) $140
http://www.hiexpress.com/hotels/us/en/richmond/yvrtr/hoteldetail/hotel-packages#IKPNF
I like this one, has good reviews, free breakfast, indoor pool for the kids, BUT they arrange for shuttle to the terminal that cost $14/per person, under 5 free. It's a bit further away from the other hotels, 15-20 min ride from the hotel to the port. They offer free shuttle to the airport as well.

There is also Days Inn??.

For those flying in to Vancouver airport, I called Disney and they said our travel agent has to arrange ground transfer through Disney from airport to port. Cost about $50 per person roundtrip.

I'm just about brain dead after doing an almost all day search as to where to overnight before the cruise. looks like maybe one of two places. did find out avis has a car rental facility near canada place and provides free rides to the ship and will pick u up to rent a car for the ride back to seattle.
Life would have been so much easier if the wonder left from seattle rather than vancouver.
everyone take care
cheers,
ducksquack

I made our reservations way back in Jan 2012, bought the plane tickets a few weeks ago and made the final payment to DCL last week. It's real now and I'm so excited!

Cruising are me, DS(12), my sis, and nieces (12 & 16)

For hotels, anyone who works for a large company, be sure to call and ask if they have a corporate discount. Most of the time those apply to personal travel too. This turned out to be a boon for us since we always need two rooms because of the 5 people. I called around to a bunch of Vancouver hotels and some had one for my company and some didn't. We got a great rate at the Pan Pacific pre cruise, and then a truly awesome rate at the Four Seasons post cruise.

Some may think this is obvious, but it didn't even dawn on me until I was talking to someone at work about which hotel to stay at. I had no idea it would make such a difference.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter