Judge me!

To counteract some of the 'I'm glad I'm not on your flight' comments, I'd just like to say I wish I could be on your flight! Honestly, being a parent is hard, being a single parent even more so. If I could lend a hand to a mum in need I certainly would :) I hope it goes well.

Wow! Thank you!

To counteract some of the 'I'm glad I'm not on your flight' comments, I'd just like to say I wish I could be on your flight! Honestly, being a parent is hard, being a single parent even more so. If I could lend a hand to a mum in need I certainly would :) I hope it goes well.

What a kind post and I hope there are those people on the flight like this poster. No mater who and who does not agree with someone....if you are a mom and you see a fellow mom having a hard time....at least a warm smile, a goo goo distraction to the baby and maybe even offering a arm to a bladder full mom is just a nice thing to do. I often do this! People on your flight will have no knowledge of this post so maybe you will get a bit of sympathy and support and you might have a GREAT flight!!

I use a flight attendent if I need to pee. That's about it. And every flight I've been on with my kids 23 round trips with two legs each = 92! They have told me during the security briefing that if I need to pee to call them. My friend the flight attendent said to me that it was her favourite part if the job :holding babies while mommies did a quick bathroom trip. If I have to, I'll take my daughter with me . I am perfectly capable to handle it. I'm going to have a great trip.

My question was all about the benedryl. Thank you for leading me in the right direction, and thanks to everyone else who was NICE and gave me some excellent tips :-)

Ah. Have a great trip!

In support of the OP, we've all contemplated giving our kids Benadryl before. Also I flew to Orlando with my two youngest and my Mom in April. My mom is handicapped, and was helpful during the flight. But when getting on and off the plane, she wasn't at all. We waited to de-board the plane last, and the FAs were helpful. One even took my carry on bag for me because both my 10month old and 3YO were sleeping (not because of benedryl, but because I stupidly booked the last flight out of MCO, it was 930pm). I was grateful for her help, at first I declined it, but I was left with no choice because I had to carry the girls off. Thank goodness for her. Just remember if you do need a little help from the FAs remember to be patient.

I am open to judgement people, good or bad. My dd1 is horrible sitting still and we have a seven hour flight with her on my lap in two weeks. I can't afford a seat for her and I'll also be with a well behaved but needing lots of attention 4 year old. Oh, and alone with no other adult. Is giving benedryl to make the baby sleep absolutely horrible of me? She's had it before (she went 23 hours without sleeping and approaching hysteria) so I know she doesn't have any allergies to this. Be honest, but be NICE.

I love it how you are open to comments but really???? seriously holding a baby for that long???Wouldnt it be cheaper and better for your parents to visit you??? I don't know about everyone else, but you are a long haul travelers worse nightmare.

I would hate to be stuck in a metal cylinder hurtling thru time and space with your unrestrained 1 yr old kicking/ grabbing my seat or worse still being the poor person stuck in the window seat next to you, your lap child and your 4 yr old.

What do you do when you need to use the bathroom, I do hope you don't ask the poor people around you to babysit your 4 yr old.

We travel 15 hr flights from Sydney just to LAX then another 7 to mco, so we know about long haul flights and how one persons kids can upset an entire cabin.

So from us long haul frequent travelers:
keep your kids entertained,
don't use us passengers as babysitters,
kicking, jumping and pulling on the seat in front is annoying NOT cute
dont use the floor or aisle as a playpen, as its filthy and annoys other passengers
dont change your kid on the seat, use the bathroom even if you have to take 4 yr old with you. We dont need to see every dirty nappy.
sitting baby on the tray table is also not a good idea, other people have to eat off them, and it bumps the seat in front.

We do 2 long haul return flights per year (over 60 hrs) so we have seen it all. Nothing surprises me re the liberties people take in the name of "its only a child".

BTW I have 2 grown sons, 3 grandkids...so i do understand re kids Being kids. Thats why we didn't take our kids overseas till they were 9.

Poor planning on your part shouldn't detract from other peoples enjoyment.

Oh and BTW: to answer your first question..yes it is wrong to drug your child when they don't need to be medicated. In our country we would be charged with endangering a minor. YMMV.

I've not read all the way through on the thread. But I'll let you know that I did give my DS benadryl quite often under doctor's orders to help with allergies. Doctor finally decided to go ahead and put him on Claritin instead because of the bad allergies so he wouldn't have to take benadryl daily. Even though the doctor had said we could do it multiple times a day, we never felt comfortable doing it except at night to help him breathe easier while he slept. This started when he was 8 months old and went until he was a year.

So you can see I have no problem giving a child under 2 benadryl - but here is why I would NOT recommend it for you on the plane. The entire point of Benadryl is to dry a child out, the sleepiness is a side effect. The plane dries you ought with the change in altitude and the recycled air. This could severely dehydrate your child and could cause problems, including nose bleeds and other side effects.

I would definitely not recommend using Benadryl on a plane.

She was open to judgement about the Benedryl she didn't ask for anyone's opinion on traveling alone with 2 kids on a long flight.

Wish I was lucky enough to have someone to come with me. But I'm not.

My four year old does need attention, but she doesn't kick seats and can sit by herself without being babysit while I use the washroom. She has manners, and in fact is very pleasant to sit next to. But yes, she needs attention. She's four.

I'm surprised so many people are do upset I'm taking her on my lap. (Not from a safety standpoint, I understand and respect that point of view). I am far from the only one to have done it. There will be at least three or four other people on the plane with lap children, and at least one alone with another child, if my past experiences hold true. It's not shocking.

I know people have seen many things that they don't like on planes. I would never change my child on a seat, never let them kick continuously the seat in front of me, nor let them invade the personal space if a neighbour. If we don't have an empty seat in our row, I ask out seat mate where they would prefer to sit, window or aisle. i put my four year old in the middle so the other person has more space and if dd1 gets the wiggles, they will be uneffected. I always book the last row so I'm as close to the bathrooms as possible, and to maximize the chance of having an empty seat. I walk her up and down the aisle, once an hour or so to get some energy out, but not constantly so it bothers everyone else. i do everything I can.

In fact my original question was all about making the situation easier. I got an answer, I got a Lott of helpful suggestions too. Some are workable, some aren't for me.

Children and babies have the right to take the plane and under twos the right to sit on laps. I can handle it on my own, but I do hope that people will show kindness and understanding to me. I would hope they would do the same whether I had a child on my lap or not.

The world is full of kind people, I like to think that I'm one of them. I am not bringing my baby on my lap to make everyone miserable. I'm not having her on my lap as a personal insult to all of you. I'm not going to pawn them off for most if the trip to others. Yes, I might ask someone to watch my four year old while I pee. I might ask a flight attendant to hold my child while get settled for a minute. They can refuse. They can give me a dirty look. It's fine. I won't throw a fit or demand that they help me.

I'm trying to do my best and to bring a little magic into my little girls lives.

My four year old does need attention, but she doesn't kick seats and can sit by herself without being babysit while I use the washroom. She has manners, and in fact is very pleasant to sit next to. But yes, she needs attention. She's four.

I'm surprised so many people are do upset I'm taking her on my lap. (Not from a safety standpoint, I understand and respect that point of view). I am far from the only one to have done it. There will be at least three or four other people on the plane with lap children, and at least one alone with another child, if my past experiences hold true. It's not shocking.

I know people have seen many things that they don't like on planes. I would never change my child on a seat, never let them kick continuously the seat in front of me, nor let them invade the personal space if a neighbour. If we don't have an empty seat in our row, I ask out seat mate where they would prefer to sit, window or aisle. i put my four year old in the middle so the other person has more space and if dd1 gets the wiggles, they will be uneffected. I always book the last row so I'm as close to the bathrooms as possible, and to maximize the chance of having an empty seat. I walk her up and down the aisle, once an hour or so to get some energy out, but not constantly so it bothers everyone else. i do everything I can.

In fact my original question was all about making the situation easier. I got an answer, I got a Lott of helpful suggestions too. Some are workable, some aren't for me.

Children and babies have the right to take the plane and under twos the right to sit on laps. I can handle it on my own, but I do hope that people will show kindness and understanding to me. I would hope they would do the same whether I had a child on my lap or not.

The world is full of kind people, I like to think that I'm one of them. I am not bringing my baby on my lap to make everyone miserable. I'm not having her on my lap as a personal insult to all of you. I'm not going to pawn them off for most if the trip to others. Yes, I might ask someone to watch my four year old while I pee. I might ask a flight attendant to hold my child while get settled for a minute. They can refuse. They can give me a dirty look. It's fine. I won't throw a fit or demand that they help me.

I'm trying to do my best and to bring a little magic into my little girls lives.

Thumbs up! Have a blast!!!

Have a fabulous trip! :)

Anyone else find it odd that there are so many parents afraid to sit apart from the kids, and yet there are parents who are willing to let total strangers hold their children while they use the restroom?

I know where I work I've been ask to hold/look out for customer's children before, and we are told to refuse. Seems the liability is too big--all it takes is one sicko to claim you touched their child in a wrong manner.

OP, I think you'll be fine. I don't think you've "bitten off more than you can chew". It won't be fun and it will be hard work, but isn't a LOT of parenting hard work? Just take all your baby's lovey/comfort tools, lots of cool snacks and some interesting toys and you'll survive the experience.

Yep, agree with this 100%, it might not be a fun flight but with any luck it won't be as bad as you think. You are NOT a bad parent, you are responsible because you are asking these questions. I know you said "judge me" but honestly some of the people responding to this thread are being WAY too judgemental.

We flew to Mexico last year with our then-18month old, it was a 5 hour flight and I had her on my lap while husband sat in front of me with our 4yr old. 18month old did WAY better than I could have possibly dreamed on the flight. Both ways. Kids surprise you ;)

She was open to judgement about the Benedryl she didn't ask for anyone's opinion on traveling alone with 2 kids on a long flight.

Problem is.....when you ask complete strangers for advice on sensitive things like "should I medicate my child that I am going to hold for 7 hours on a flight", sometimes you get more than you bargained for......the joys of the internet!

All I can say is " if you have to medicate your child, then its a bridge too far"...YMMV.

Anyone else find it odd that there are so many parents afraid to sit apart from the kids, and yet their are parents who are willing to let total strangers hold their children while they use the restroom?

I know where I work I've been ask to hold/look out for customer's children before, and we are told to refuse. Seems the liability is too big--all it takes is one sicko to claim you touched their child in a wrong manner.
:thumbsup2

You're right. There are sickos out there. Maybe growing up and then living in low crime areas has spoiled me, but I prefer to believe the best in people.

Thanks for everyone's support.

You're right. There are sickos out there. Maybe growing up and then living in low crime areas has spoiled me, but I prefer to believe the best in people.

Thanks for everyone's support.

I do want to wish you good luck and the best of flights!

I am one of those who typically purchases a seat for babies vs. lap babies (safety perspective + comfort of child and parent). I am also one of the first to ask any parent if they could use some help. I haven't read all of the responses, but I can't imagine someone receiving differential treatment based on whether or not they purchased a seat for their little one. I would never judge another parent for making a different decision for their family. I don't know them or their circumstances.

You are going to have a great time. At 4yo, my oldest was very well mannered as well and could be left, similar to yours. Guessing she will be a great help on the trip!

There is little to no risk with taking Benadryl, if your LO has had it before, pack it with you in your carry on, and know that it is there if you need it. You will have a great time!

I would try Gravol before Benadryl, since Gravol works for motion sickness and it seems to have less adverse effects than Benadryl. Never fails to put anyone to sleep ;)
That said, I wouldn't travel with a lap baby that long, but that's just me...

Even if the OP got her dd a seat, do you really think a 1 year old is going to sit in the seat next to her mom for 7 hours? OP, I held my ds on my lap for a flight when he was 10 months and he did pretty well, but it was only a 2 1/2 hour flight. I also gave my other ds Benadryl when we took the auto train because he was so excited, he wouldn't sleep, I think he was 4 years old though. I think 1 is a little young but I would check with your pediatrician and see what he says. If your pediatrician has no problem with you giving your dd Benadryl, then I wouldn't have a problem with it as well, if it was me. Good luck and hope everything turns out smoothly.

PS-Don't forget the lollipops!

'm surprised so many people are do upset I'm taking her on my lap.

I'm not upset about it. I've just been there done that with a child that was NOT easy to deal with, and I don't want that to be you. I'm passionate about it because when it goes awry it's exhausting as heck.

Problem is.....when you ask complete strangers for advice on sensitive things like "should I medicate my child that I am going to hold for 7 hours on a flight", sometimes you get more than you bargained for......

Yeppers. Might get people who have experience with *difficulties* in doing such a thing, who are trying to help a parent to not have that experience.

Kids surprise you ;)

Yep. I was expecting my son to be fine. There's just a big difference between taking care of an active kid in a house where you can move around vs a small seat with strangers all around you.

Even if the OP got her dd a seat, do you really think a 1 year old is going to sit in the seat next to her mom for 7 hours?

A 1 year old with a seat has options. A 1 year old in a lap does not. That's the difference. And since most people would use a carseat with the 1 year old, the 1 year old is in something she's used to and (hopefully) is comfy for her.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter