Joshua Tree?

heybets30

Mouseketeer
Does anyone have any tips, or trails they recommend? I've been wanting to do a day trip to Joshua Tree now for the last 5 trips to CA (my FIL is about 85 miles away in Lake Elsinore).

We'll be in CA in October, and I'd like the kids to see a desert - as we always do a beach trip too. I thought it would be fun to get in both at least one trip. I'm hoping THIS is the trip!

I see it is rather large, so just hoping to get some advice for recommended stops! The kids'll want to get some cool pictures too.

Hidden Canyon/Hidden Valley trail is a great hike, although a bit short. We also like to park at Skull Rock and then scramble through the slot canyons behind it. We can spend hours poking around there. I'll be out there next week and if there is anything else I discover, I'll report back. And depending on your kids age, the Jr. Ranger program is awesome.

Thanks so much, Purrkins! My kids will be 7 & 9 on this October trip. We almost did the Jr. Ranger program at Hawaii Volcanoes Park, didn't. (Palm slap to face). We're not really a hiking family (drive-everywhere suburban Chicagoans!), so the more modest hikes are best for us! I've waited several years for this side trip. I am SOOOOO determined to make it happen!

We'll leave early one morning (Sunday or Monday) to drive from Lake Elsinore to Joshua Tree (~85 miles) to make the most of the time the park is open. Have you been to view the San Andreas Fault line (any specific viewing points)? Can you even tell what you're looking at? I've seen pics from various vantages - if not too off the beaten path, I thought that might be interesting - just so the kids can say they were there. Though I guess we drive directly over it from Lake Elsinore. If the Big One happens the day we're there, then I guess we go quickly ;-)

THANKS!

Perfect age for the Jr. Ranger program. My son, 6, has been collecting them since he was four and has 7 or 8 already. He's excited to do Joshua Tree next week. Hidden Valley is a perfect hike for you then. It's a about a mile loop but plenty of places to scramble and explore. Skull Rock is a pull up and take a photo destination but I suggest wandering a bit away and behind the rock. Again, you can spend hours back there and cover miles or a just few hundred yards. Go explore!

The best part of Joshua Tree is dawn and dusk. When the sun is low, the shadows appear and the desert starts to take on all sorts of colors and the wildlife emerges. Try giving yourself a sunset or sunrise there. That's when the magic happens. (I do astrophotography with the rocks in the background so I'm usually out in the middle of nowhere all night - pure bliss).

San Andreas looks like another ditch in the ground unless you know exactly what you are looking at. There are some nice vantage points in the Carrizo Plain around San Luis Obispo but that's nowhere near you.

Ok.... I'm curious.... if we do a daytrip to Joshua Tree, how bad is the driving after dark to get back to the coast? (I know it's a trek, but might be my only option)

Ok.... I'm curious.... if we do a daytrip to Joshua Tree, how bad is the driving after dark to get back to the coast? (I know it's a trek, but might be my only option)

Fairly easy. The road in the park is two lane, nicely maintained but unlit. Some mild curves but very gentle and easy driving. 29 Palms Highway (67) is a four lane, straight, desert highway that you take until you hit the 10 West which is a major 8-10 multi-lane highway. Only difficulty I can imagine is some strong head winds as you come down the 67 where it meets the 10 near the windmill farms.

We're not really a hiking family (drive-everywhere suburban Chicagoans!), so the more modest hikes are best for us! I've waited several years for this side trip. I am SOOOOO determined to make it happen!

THANKS!

So I still maintain dusk/dawn is the best time for this park. We had a habit of eating dinner around 5 PM and heading back to the park around 6. We'd pick a trail and hike on it until sunset (about 7:45 this weekend). The sky will stay bright enough for an hour and a half. We'd sit for a good half hour and watch the bats start coming out or climb a nice rock and keep our eyes peeled for the coyotes to start moving around in the washes. Magical. We'd make it back to our car around 9 PM without the need to use our headlamps. Plus, you beat the heat. The wash by Hemmingway Rock is a great place to do this.

Joshua Tree is best for its solitude so to get the best of it on a modest hike, I'd suggest to go to Barker Dam. Well traveled and very touristy. Follow the trail, where it splits and you can go left or straight, go straight. When you get to the dam, walk down to the sand (where there is water in the wet season). Keep looking to your right and you'll see some large rocks with some unfortunate graffiti on them. Look for a sandy trail that goes around these rocks and follow this wash up a slot canyon. When the trail ends, look to the left or right of the canyon - there is a trail there that goes all the way up but sometimes it hugs the wall or requires a brief scramble up a boulder. You might have the canyon to yourself, despite being just a 10 minute walk from hundreds of people. Pay attention to the rocks above you. Bighorn sheep frequent this canyon. Best thing to do is sit and listen to the silence for a bit. Simply amazing. Have fun!

Last edited:
Well, we did it. We made it to Joshua Tree National Park! We went on a Monday morning - October 3. It took just under 2 hours from my FIL's house in Lake Elsinore to Yucca Valley. Ultimately, we took the 10 to 62 - Twentynine Palms Highway (2-lane each way highway - but has stop lights in towns). The plan was to enter in Twentynine Palms entrance, but we left the house WAY later than I wanted, and our Nav gave us some BAD directions. We ended up with a Ford Excursion with working NAV, we entered in "Joshua Tree National Park" - it took us off of 62/29 Palms HWY via side roads through Yucca, and pointed us at a dirt road in the middle of a residential neighborhood. We didn't get the warm fuzzies about those directions, so we headed back to the main strip, 29 palms HW (which is really just a busy road), found a new-ish strip mall with a Dickies BBQ, and opted to have lunch (it was right at noon ... remember, we left the house 2 hours later than I had hoped).

The staff at Dickies pointed us to a main entrance off Park Blvd - with visitor center. We opted to do that rather than the Oasis of Mara (which would've been more interesting, I think). We went into the visitor center, hit up the bathrooms, got lots of maps, some souvenirs while we were there too. Then headed down the road. It takes a while to actually get to the entrance (I think maybe 4-5 minutes). Showed our day ticket - $20, and headed on our way.

My husband was being a bit of a spoilsport ... pulling out the old European Vacation tone .... "look kids, rocks, joshua trees, rocks, joshua trees - oooo, more rocks". Kids got in on it also. It was ~75 degrees and GORGEOUS - couldn't have been any more perfect to be in the middle of a desert!!! I put on a sweater at one point due to cross-winds, else none needed, and wasn't too hot, either. We stopped at one of the first sights, kids got out & tried to start the junior ranger booklets. The 7 year old had no patience for it, my 9-year old started & was trying in earnest, but we just weren't finding any of the wildlife in the booklet, so she was getting frustrated. We stopped at several sites along the way - didn't make any full hikes or even partial hikes, because, well, my kids are a "P in the A". They did get to climb around rocks and that made them very excited. We spotted 1 lizard the entire afternoon - which was probably the excitement of the day.

I really enjoyed the Hidden Valley Nature Trail. We took that only for ~1/4 mile. The trail was AMAZING - nothing too dangerous, too treacherous that any average person from the 'burbs who NEVER hikes couldn't handle. Seriously awesome. Not flat, that's for sure - you must be mobile to get through some of these trails - the rocks from steps which was neat. We got out of the car at Barker Dam's trail entrance. We didn't do anything other than go back in about 1/8 mile, seriously. Just walked a bit in, then kids needed the facilities. I didn't go in, but the kids said the facilities were loaded with TONS of TP and were very clean. They are normal bathrooms, just no sinks - bring hand sanitizer or wipes.

I can't believe I haven't loaded my pics of our trip yet, but the photography opportunities are ENDLESS. Seriously.

Keys View was awesome - I love getting those broad, sweeping views. Here is where my kids lost it. Literally. There were so many bees swarming us, that I had both kids screaming that this was a horrible place and they didn't want to be outside. We made them suck it up & go to the top of the hill at the lookout and for some photos, then they ran faster than I've ever seen them run back to the car. When I load my pics, I'll have to load a shot of their faces. They are a mixture of pure horror from the bees and hatred towards us as parents for making them stand still for pictures. LATER, we read in one of the handouts that due to the drought, the bees stay near cars for the dripping of exhaust pipes, and any other water sources visitors bring in. Had we known, we would've poured water in a puddle nearby, maybe that would've kept the bees away. They were aggressive and there were a lot of them the day we were there. Both kids had wasp stings this summer & recalled how painful they were, so they were rightfully frightened.

We turned out back onto Park Blvd and continued to Skull Rock. When we saw how crowded it was, we kept driving. Kids were only lukewarm about getting out of the car anyway. They were tired from all the driving & wanted to nap. We were headed to Cholla Cactus Garden, so we kept driving & promised naptime AFTER Cholla. It is a pretty decently far drive from everything. And, there are NO BATHROOMS HERE!!! Of course, that's when I needed one. Silly me, I saw bathrooms at every stop we made, figured there'd be one there too. NOPE. The cactii are otherworldly. Definitely worth the extra drive to get here. Hubby really enjoyed it. We wandered around for 20 minutes, then we figured it was time to go. We really wanted to make it to the Palm Springs Aerial Tram by sunset. It was about 4:15 at this point, and we were racing the sun.

If you exit via Cottonwood Springs, forwarned, it is a LONG drive even from Cholla Cactus Garden to exit southbound. It took us probably 30-45 minutes to get to the 10. And, there are no facilities between Cholla and the Ranger Station at Cottonwood Springs entrance - Nothing. I believe we passed only 3 other cars that entire drive. It was almost creepy. Oh, we made it to the Tram at Sunset :-0 - was cool for the kids to see San Jancinto from Keys view, THEN, get to ride up Mt. San Jancinto on the tram!

Here are my fleeting thoughts on Joshua Tree:
1. SO unbelievably happy we made it there. My kids gave it a 5/10. They liked the rocks to climb on, they said they got a little bored because everything looked the same - rocks, Joshua Trees. I'm surprised we so so little wildlife. Except for the lizard and bees, really we didn't see anything that afternoon.
2. hubby & I both have iphone 6S AT&T phones. We are grandfathered into the unlimited data services, so we keep on data roaming as a backup to cellular options. We had ZERO RECEPTION!!! What did this mean? That every little bookmark and blog I highlighted to pull up while we were there, Nada. Couldn't get any of the tips/tricks while we were in the park. BUMMER. I should've printed everything I wanted before we left. I had planned on using a few mom-blog hints from Nobackhome, but I couldn't get any reception. At all. At Keys View, we got spotty service - enough I could post a pic to FB, but it took like 15 minutes to load, then I lost connection.
3. If you think you might even need to use the bathroom a little, USE IT WHEN YOU SEE ONE!!! The drive from Cholla Cactus to Cottonwood Springs ranger entrance was a LOOOOONG one for me. They are at just about every single "exhibit" - use them. Just don't expect to use one at Cholla. I seriously regretted not going earlier.
4. I would've enjoyed this on my own a LOT more. I took a TON of pictures, I hope to load them tonight so I can see what I took all the pictures of! I would have LOVED to have been there at nighttime, I imagine the stars are extraordinary to see in person and sunset would've been fantastic for photos. Something we don't get in the Chicagoland area for sure.
4a. I would've enjoyed wandering around Joshua Tree town on my own too - looked like a lot of artisan pottery shops & boutiques.
5. The magnitude of this park is beyond description. It is HUGE. Seriously. I looked it up - it is the 15th largest National Park in the U.S. To give you an idea - the Grand Canyon is 11th at ~1900 square miles; Joshua Tree is 15th at ~1250 sq miles.
6. The Roads are phenomenal. Seriously like they were just paved - super smooth, exceptionally well maintained. no complaints. parking is ample at each "exhibit". I was so impressed with the upkeep of public services.
7. I wish there were more signs as you drive - other than the "watch for tarantulas in roadway" at the ranger entrance ;-) . For example - something like "Cholla Cactus Garden, 15 miles" would've been nice as we were driving, and driving, and driving, and driving even further, wondering if we took a wrong turn or missed it. you drive along Park Blvd then BAM - "exhibit x next right". Given the size, a bit more signage would've been nice.
8. We lucked out at ~75 degrees, don't recall seeing more than 1 or 2 clouds in the sky, wonderful cross breeze - bring a sweater. I was actually chilly as part of the hidden Valley walk is between rocks - not a lot of sun, but lots of breezes. We were all fine without sweaters and weren't too hot. We all had water, but didn't get so hot where we constantly needed to drink. I imagine anything over ~80 would feel SUPER hot from the rocks soaking up the warmth of the sun.
9. Bring hand wipes or sanitizer - bathrooms have no sinks at the exhibits. Plenty of TP at each stop, just no way to wash your hands.

I'd go again - I won't race back. Glad we took the kids to visit, glad I got to visit it FINALLY. It's been near the top of my SoCal bucket list for ages. Kids got what I wanted them to - ocean on Sunday, in a desert on Monday. Awesome experience!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter