Joints In Motion 2014 Disney Marathon

Zife

Mouseketeer
It's been a while since I've been on the boards, but I'm planning another trip, so I may be on a bit more often.
Anyway, my next trip is (hopefully) going to be in January for the 2014 Disney Marathon. I say hopefully, because I'll be going with the Arthritis Society's Joints In Motion Team. Basically, if I raise enough ($5000), they send me to Disney, pay for my hotel and registration, and I run on behalf of someone with Arthritis.
So, have any Canadians ever done this before? Or even run the Disney Marathon? Any tips, anything I shouldn't miss?
Also, if any of you are feeling really generous, my donation page is here. All donations are tax deductable, and receipts are sent out automatically by the Arthritis Society.
If anyone wants to join or wants more info on the program, check here.

My DD did the 'Goofy' Marathon this past January which was a half and then a full marathon the next day--is doing a 1/2 in November and then the 'Dopey' Marathon next January. Is this the one you are participating in?
:)

That's at the same time as when I'll be there, but I'm just doing the Marathon on Sunday. I was considering doing the Goofy Challenge, but decided for my first marathon, 42km would be enough. My wife plans on doing the 10km as opposed to the full marathon, so I might 'tag along' with her for part of it.
Was the Goofy Challenge the first time he'd done a marathon?

Goofy Marathon was my daughter's first marathon, yes. She trained hard beginning about 6 months prior. It was a tough go-but she snagged all 3 beautiful medals! Good for you..it's quite the experience!!:)

Haha, I should learn to read. For some reason, I definitely thought that said DH...
I might actually look at doing the Goofy Challenge (the Joints In Motion team won't arrive in time to do the Dopey Challenge), but I'm not sure if I can change it at this point or not.

LOL-it's ok ..
I think next January is called the 'Dopey' Challenge? I might be wrong...but I know I told her she was Dopey!;)

There are actually 2 'Challenges' next year.
The Goofy Challenge is the same as always, Half Marathon on Saturday, Marathon on Sunday.
The Dopey Challenge is new this year, and consists of a 5km run on Thursday, 10km Friday, Half Marathon on Saturday, and Marathon on Sunday. You get 6 medals total. 1 for each race, the Goofy Challenge medal and the Dopey Challenge medal.
Props to her if she pulls it all off.

DH did the Goofy last year and is doing the Dopey this year at age 63. DD best friend is going to do the Dopey with him. DD and myself are not as crazy and are doing the 10K because we want the Minnie Mouse inaugaral medal. Disney does know how to organize a great every. We have had a great time every year. We will be there before Christmas and leave the morning after the races to drive back to Ottawa. I suspect DH will not be doing a lot of driving.

Awesome!
I was amazed at the age of some of the particpants last January at the 'Goofy'.
I was put to shame most definitely!

:thumbsup2

Haha, I'm 27, I'll be 28 when the marathon rolls around. I've already accepted the fact that a fair number of 50+ year olds will be posting better times than me :-)

I can only hopef that I'm still active at that age.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter