• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Joining Pete's Campaign on NO SWIMMING!!

I think Walter explained that the water had to be over 80 degrees for the amoebas to become active in the water. So, possibly, the water temperature is lower than that at the time of the triathalon thereby reducing that risk. However, gators are cold blooded and it wouldn't matter how cold the water was, they'd still be there!

This cracks me up.

People are afraid to swim in FLA lakes because of gators and bug that might get into their brains. :confused3

I'm a native Floridian who spent almost everyday in the summer swimming in FLA lakes. They pulled gators out of the lake we used to swim. Course we used to have muck fights too. Who knows what wee nasty things were in the muck scooped up from the bottom of the lake. :rotfl:

If you look at the number of people who have actually gotten the bug its a pretty small risk. We had a greater risk of drowning that getting killed by a brain burrowing water bug. Or getting bit by a poisonous snake getting to the lake. Want the hear the story about almost stepping on a huge copperhead sleeping at the end of the walkway? In bare feet? :eek:

About the time I moved away from FLA there were three attacks on people by gators. In two cases the people bitten eventually admitted they were messing with the gator. In the third case a boy died.

We happened to kayak down the spring fed river where the attack happened. When we were putting the kayaks in the water the trapper was about to head downstream and get the gator. Somewhere I have a very fuzzy picture of the gator that was about to be take out by the trapper. There is NO WAY that the boy could have been killed by a gator that was unseen by the family unless they were blind. The water in this section of river is crystal clear. We have 16 and 17 foot kayaks that had trouble taking the curves in the river because the river is so narrow in this section.

The odds are that family was feeding or harrassing the gator and the kid got killed. The reports at them time mentioned the family splashing in the water. Just no way you could not see this gator.

Most people attacked by gators are harassing or feeding the gators. People don't realize that gators can move real fast for short distances. But they will try to feed them or get close to gators to show their kids. I once saw a mom with two little kids a couple of feet from the water pointing at a gator. Based on the size of the gator's head it was 8-10 feet long. The gator was 2-3 feet from the mother and children. I did have a talk to her about how large the gator was and how fast it could move. She moved.

Swimming in daytime is one thing. Swimming at night is a new ball game. The place the mother was offering her children up as gator food is full of gators. Its Holiday Park west of Ft. Lauderdale. You will not see many gators during the daytime. Go at night and shine a light and you will see hundreds and hundred of red eyes in the water. Those eyes ain't from frogs. :) I would not swim there in daytime or night time. :lmao:

Having said all of this but your chances of getting killed in the car going to WDW is higher than getting bit by a gator/snake or getting the bug while swimming in a FLA lake.

And I'm sure WDW signs against swimming are to minimize lawsuits if someone does go swimming and something happens. Though with the beaches and lines/floats in the water it sure looks like a place to go swim. The term attractive nuisance would seem to apply.

I'm not swimming the lakes at WDW cause I like clean water to swim in. I'm getting soft in my old age. :lmao:

I don't like swimming in the ocean either but its not because a shark might get me either. :rotfl:

Later,
Dan

This cracks me up.
Me too actually. :lmao: :lmao: Every summer as a kid we visited my Granny in Salt Springs and spent half the time on either Lake Kerr or Lake George. Actually, last year when we went to WDW we went to Lake Kerr with my uncle. Any lake in the US will have hazards other than just drowning. The culture of fear here in the US can be so infuriating sometimes. I mean there are rattlesnakes in the mountains in WV and TN, but that doesn't stop people from seeing our beautiful mountains. That being said, I would not swim in Disney's lakes. Why? Because they ask you not to. Simple as that. I respect their request, whether I like it or not.;)

I agree with Kevin - why WOULD you take the risk? CNN is a pretty respected news source so I definitly think the story has some credibility.

However, to those people that 'grew up' swimming in the lakes then continue to swim...but I don't want to have to say 'I told you so'..

good post....people just have to be scared of stuff. It makes us good little consumers...

This cracks me up.

People are afraid to swim in FLA lakes because of gators and bug that might get into their brains. :confused3

I'm a native Floridian who spent almost everyday in the summer swimming in FLA lakes. They pulled gators out of the lake we used to swim. Course we used to have muck fights too. Who knows what wee nasty things were in the muck scooped up from the bottom of the lake. :rotfl:

If you look at the number of people who have actually gotten the bug its a pretty small risk. We had a greater risk of drowning that getting killed by a brain burrowing water bug. Or getting bit by a poisonous snake getting to the lake. Want the hear the story about almost stepping on a huge copperhead sleeping at the end of the walkway? In bare feet? :eek:

About the time I moved away from FLA there were three attacks on people by gators. In two cases the people bitten eventually admitted they were messing with the gator. In the third case a boy died.

We happened to kayak down the spring fed river where the attack happened. When we were putting the kayaks in the water the trapper was about to head downstream and get the gator. Somewhere I have a very fuzzy picture of the gator that was about to be take out by the trapper. There is NO WAY that the boy could have been killed by a gator that was unseen by the family unless they were blind. The water in this section of river is crystal clear. We have 16 and 17 foot kayaks that had trouble taking the curves in the river because the river is so narrow in this section.

The odds are that family was feeding or harrassing the gator and the kid got killed. The reports at them time mentioned the family splashing in the water. Just no way you could not see this gator.

Most people attacked by gators are harassing or feeding the gators. People don't realize that gators can move real fast for short distances. But they will try to feed them or get close to gators to show their kids. I once saw a mom with two little kids a couple of feet from the water pointing at a gator. Based on the size of the gator's head it was 8-10 feet long. The gator was 2-3 feet from the mother and children. I did have a talk to her about how large the gator was and how fast it could move. She moved.

Swimming in daytime is one thing. Swimming at night is a new ball game. The place the mother was offering her children up as gator food is full of gators. Its Holiday Park west of Ft. Lauderdale. You will not see many gators during the daytime. Go at night and shine a light and you will see hundreds and hundred of red eyes in the water. Those eyes ain't from frogs. :) I would not swim there in daytime or night time. :lmao:

Having said all of this but your chances of getting killed in the car going to WDW is higher than getting bit by a gator/snake or getting the bug while swimming in a FLA lake.

And I'm sure WDW signs against swimming are to minimize lawsuits if someone does go swimming and something happens. Though with the beaches and lines/floats in the water it sure looks like a place to go swim. The term attractive nuisance would seem to apply.

I'm not swimming the lakes at WDW cause I like clean water to swim in. I'm getting soft in my old age. :lmao:

I don't like swimming in the ocean either but its not because a shark might get me either. :rotfl:

Later,
Dan

I just like to rely on the adage...

Better safe, than sorry.

I'll stay out of the lakes, but then again, I don't think I've ever been in a Florida lake.

I just like to rely on the adage...

Better safe, than sorry.

I'll stay out of the lakes, but then again, I don't think I've ever been in a Florida lake.

Yeah, in this case I think that's a safe bet, based on sheer unpleasantness of the water - not due to some one in a million chance at a brain eating critter or a man-eating alligator!

From CNN last year;

http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/09/18/zarrella.killerlakes/index.html

This might not happen to you or your loved ones....but why would you take that risk?

The article said, "That is because the amoeba is very rare. The Centers for Disease Control in Atlanta, Georgia, has documented 24 cases in the United States since 1989."

How many people drowned in swimming pools since 1989? I bet alot more then 24 people in 9 years.

For fear of getting this amoeba nobody should water ski or swim in a FLA lake? Life is risk that has to be managed. There is far more danger driving down I4 to get to WDW than going swimming in FLA lake.

I guess I am a huge risk taker.... :)

I once went swimming....

Down the BLACK River in North FLA. :lmao:

I am off to do something really risky. I'm going to go use a chainsaw to cut down some dead trees.

If I survive....

I'll be back....

:thumbsup2

I'm sure I'll be back. I minimize my risk by kinda knowing what I'm doing and wearing safety equipment.

Later,
Dan

I was telling DH about this in last night and he goes...

"I used to fish with the gators when I lived in Flordia" I left it at that...DS8 who is a huge animal planet fan lectured on wild animals and I ended it thinking about daring him to swim in Bay Lake next time we are down there. :confused3

No worries the ameobas would starv to death if they lived off brain tissue! :lmao:

The article said, "That is because the amoeba is very rare. The Centers for Disease Control in Atlanta, Georgia, has documented 24 cases in the United States since 1989."

How many people drowned in swimming pools since 1989? I bet alot more then 24 people in 9 years.

For fear of getting this amoeba nobody should water ski or swim in a FLA lake? Life is risk that has to be managed. There is far more danger driving down I4 to get to WDW than going swimming in FLA lake.

1989 was actually 19 years ago....so the statistics are even greater that this might not happen to you, but it happened 4 times last year. Could it be that this has become more prevalent? Who knows?

But I bet the parents of those four kids wish they hadn't let their kid swim in a lake.

No one (other Disney...and they own the property) is telling you CAN'T swim in lakes, we're suggesting that you shouldn't.

There are varying degrees of risk associated with everything in life, but we try to take precautions to avoid those risks.

Kids now wear bike helmets.

Seat belts are LAW in most places.

Sun block is advisable when going outdoors.

Can kids ride bikes withouth helmets...sure, but they are safer when wearing them. The same is true of the seat belts and the sun block. You might not get in a car accident and you might not get skin cancer from the sun, but then again...you might and you are safer taking precautions.

Thats all this is....a set of precautions to lower your risk.

I come from the northeast and swimming in a lake during the summer was a yearly ritual., but the lakes in the northeast freeze in the winter and rarely , if ever, reach 84 degrees.

People coming to central Florida might not know that there is a risk involved in swimming in a Florida lake and no matter how minor you feel the risk may be.....we feel that they should know that the risk is there, just as we feel that Cinderella's Royal Table is a rip off or that an attraction is undergoing a rehab. It helps people plan their vacation and having some facts might make it a safer vacation.

If this is an acceptable risk to you....go for it, but at the very least, you now have the information to make an informed decision.

Amen!!!

I can't tell you the number of excuses I heard from people when I told them they needed to wear seat belts or bike helmets.

There is a documented risk of an amoeba in Florida lakes. When a loved one dies because they didn't heed the warnings is that really the way you want to remember your vacation?

The more people that hear about the amoeba danger the more people can make an informed decision.

If Pete hadn't brought up this topic how many people on the DIS knew this? Now that you do be responsible and do the right thing. Stay out of the fresh water lakes in FL.

I live in Oklahoma and a couple of years ago two young boys playing together died from water amoeba(s). It was a City water splash pad and they were playing in water that had stagnated to the side of the splash pad. That same year, a few other children in our area died from the same thing, but from swimming in lakes. :sad1:

I was telling DH about this in last night and he goes...

"I used to fish with the gators when I lived in Flordia" I left it at that...DS8 who is a huge animal planet fan lectured on wild animals and I ended it thinking about daring him to swim in Bay Lake next time we are down there. :confused3

No worries the ameobas would starv to death if they lived off brain tissue! :lmao:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Too funny and so nicely put!

don't walk arond with out shoes on you never know whats crawling around on the ground.

I guess I am a huge risk taker.... :)

I once went swimming....

Down the BLACK River in North FLA. :lmao:

I am off to do something really risky. I'm going to go use a chainsaw to cut down some dead trees.

If I survive....

I'll be back....

:thumbsup2

I'm sure I'll be back. I minimize my risk by kinda knowing what I'm doing and wearing safety equipment.

Later,
Dan

I don't really know about anyone else, and I speak for myself here, but I really don't enjoy being talked down to or patronized. I think the Podcast Crew has done a good job of putting a "prescient warning" out there for everyone. They are doing it out of the care and concern they have for their listeners and nothing more. You want to swim in the waters, fine, no one is really stopping you (even Disney apparently), but these types of posts are not necessary, in my humble opinion.

I, being an Illinois resident, had never even heard of these amoebas until yesterday. So, at least they did their job and informed me of a possible danger. For that, I thank them.

I would have no problem swimming in the lakes around WDW, however there are signs asking me not to. Besides, Disney has provided us with lots of really nice crystal clear heated pools to swim in.

Kevin i totally agree with everything you said on this matter.Right now i live in the northeast and you are right the lakes here never reach 84 degrees. i am movin to the area in jan and this info is very valuable to me. i won't be swimming in any lakes in the area. Thanks again for the info!!!

Last year at this time my kids did an hour of tubing with the Sammy Duvall Watersport at the CR. The man driving the boat encouraged them to swim in Bay lake if the fell of the tubes. They spent alot of time swimming in the lake, jumping of the boat into the lake and such. It was completely sanctioned by the man operating the boat. This is in the middle of the lake, not the shore. Does that make a difference in terms of ameoba/gaters/snakes and such? They also were of course completely soaked from being on the tubes alone. They had such a great time that that is all they want to do when we go back next month. Would Parasailing and the waverunners be safer? Thanks:wizard:
PS
I am completely addicted to the Podcast!!!!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter