John Ritter Dead

Very sad... it was sudden and he was only 54.

Johnny Cash died as well early this morning at the age of 71.

Actor John Ritter Dies at Age 54

Friday , September 12, 2003

LOS ANGELES — John Ritter (search), whose portrayal of the bumbling but lovable Jack Tripper helped make the madcap comedy series "Three's Company" (search) a smash hit in the 1970s, has died, his publicist and longtime assistant said Friday. He was 54.

Ritter fell ill Thursday on the set of his ABC sitcom "8 Simple Rules ... For Dating My Teenage Daughter," said Susan Wilcox, his assistant of 22 years.

The cause of death was a dissection of the aorta, the result of an unrecognized flaw in his heart, said his publicist, Lisa Kasteler.

Ritter died at Providence St. Joseph Medical Center shortly after 10 p.m. Thursday.

Ritter, a Southern California native who lived in Beverly Hills, came to prominence for his role in "Three's Company" and had appeared in more than 25 television movies and a number of films.

Ritter, who would have turned 55 on Wednesday, made a successful return to sitcom acting with "8 Simple Rules" last year, and the ABC show was scheduled to begin its second season on Sept. 23.

At the Burbank hospital where he died, Ritter was accompanied by producers and co-workers, his wife, Amy Yasbeck, and 23-year-old son Jason, Wilcox said. He is survived by three other children, Carly, Tyler and Stella.

Ritter was the youngest son of Western film star and country musician Tex Ritter. He graduated from Hollywood High School and earned a degree in drama from the University of Southern California.

Ritter appeared in more than 50 plays nationwide and won critical acclaim for his recent nine-month role in the Broadway premiere of Neil Simon's "The Dinner Party."

He received an Emmy and other awards for his "Three's Company" role and was honored by the Los Angeles Music Center in June with a lifetime achievement award.

I was just coming over to post this. This is very, very sad. I loved John Ritter's work! :(

Very Sad News
John Ritter Died at 54!
Promising new sitcom this year..

He will be missed.:(
July

So sad to hear about John Ritter. He is also the voice of Clifford the dog on PBS. He was a great actor and will be missed.

Very sad. He made a lot of people laugh. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

Not to lighten the tragedy but I wonder what will happen to 8 Simple Rules?

I am so shocked to hear this. It's so sad. 8 Simple Rules was my favorite show on TV now and ironicallyI was just watching Three's Company just last night, which I don't normally watch at that time. John Ritter was the heart of 8 Simple Rules and I'm not sure if they could do it without him. I don't know if it would be more respectful to him to carry on with the show or to cancel it. Whatever they do, I hope they get the approval of his family so that ABC will do whatever John would have wanted.

:( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Many prayers and pixie dust for the wife, kids, and family.

I am so glad to find a thread here about John Ritter.
I have adored him since I was a kid watching him on Three's Company, loved his work in Slingblade, and was thrilled that he had a hit with 8 Simple Rules.
I feel so much sorrow, I don't think my hubby would understand. (He is not the emotional type.)
Glad I could come here and express it.

From what I read, his daughter's fifth birthday was Thursday September 11th, which is the day he actually died, and his wife Amy Yasbeck's 40th birthday is today, Friday September 12th. How sad for them.

We will miss Johnny Cash around here too. :(

I was just reminded that he played the young preacher in The Walton's too.

I feel so sad about this. I thought that Three's Company was a silly show but Jack Tripper was a great character. He seemed like such a nice person on talk shows too.

John Ritter also played in a great mini-series about the author Frank Baum. He portrayed Baum and did such a wonderful job. It was one of my favorite movies he acted in. What a sad, sad day.:(

I remember the 1st time I ever saw John Ritter on TV. He played the preacher on The Waltons. I then became a fan of his during his stint as Jack on Three's Company. I was so excited last year to see him again in 8 Simple Rules.... he was wonderful. I don't know what they will do with that series now that he has died, but I hope it is classy, just like him.

May he rest in peace, and my heart goes out to his wife and kids.

Such sad news.:( I enjoyed him on Three's Company. He also had a great guest starring role on Buffy the Vampire Slayer a few years ago.

He had another Disney connection besides 8 Simple Rules - he was in the original "The Barefoot Executive" with Kurt Russell.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter