Joe's tour of the Disney Studios in Burbank California

mre200200

Joe Flowers
It's been a little while since I posted a trip report on here hasn't it. Me and my family did head to the parks on Christmas Day, and I did a write-up for it, but never did post it on here. If you're interested though, you can check it out here.
Disneyland on Christmas Day

Let's jump in to the tour of the Studios!

What a treat we're in for today! A couple months ago we were discussing our plans for Christmas break with Ruston, saying how all of Theresa's family was coming to visit us in California. Knowing what big fans they were of Disney, Ruston invited everyone on a tour of where he worked. Disney Studios! When they heard, everyone was really excited!
DisneyStudiosBurbank-100.jpg

The plan was for the entire family to meet him up here, but Ian and Alli both got sick a couple days before, and were both pretty miserable. T and her parents stayed home with them while the rest of us hopped in the car and left for the Studios.

Meet our unofficial tour guide Ruston! Where we just came from was the Zorro parking structure. So named because it was built on top of where the old Zorro tv show was filmed.
DisneyStudiosBurbank-101.jpg

Our first stop is the Roy E. Disney Animation building.
DisneyStudiosBurbank-102.jpg

Originally finished in 1995, this building is now on the tail end of a 14 month overhaul. Similarly to the parks, you can see some of the movies/characters they've worked on on the construction walls out front. Movies like Big Hero 6, Frozen, Zootopia, Wreck it Ralph, and Tangled.
DisneyStudiosBurbank-103.jpg

Ruston was able to get us inside the lobby to see some of the awards they've won here.
DisneyStudiosBurbank-104.jpg

He challenged us to find the one with the misspelling. I think it was Abby who found it first, and hey, it's an award for one of my favorite Christmas series, Prep and Landing.
DisneyStudiosBurbank-105.jpg

Hanging above a stairway is a giant snowflake chandelier, which is a tribute to the one in Elsa's snow palace from Frozen.
DisneyStudiosBurbank-106.jpg

The Shadow Man, Dr Facilier, beckons us down the stairs.
DisneyStudiosBurbank-107.jpg

Just across the driveway are the ABC Studios. There's signs on the doors as you enter stating that photography is forbidden, so you won't see anything inside here, but lining the hallway were large TVs, with each one dedicated to a channel produced by ABC. Of course there's the regular ABC station, but also ABC Family, ESPN, the Disney Channel, and Disney XD.
DisneyStudiosBurbank-108.jpg

Mostly though we were walking through this building so we could take the overpass back to the Disney Studios on the other side.
DisneyStudiosBurbank-109.jpg

Across the street, we found a couple closed recording sets, including the Annette Funicello soundstage. Ruston was actually part of the choir that sang here during the dedication!
DisneyStudiosBurbank-110.jpg

Jump to the 9 minute mark in the video below to see Ruston singing.

Continuing our parade of the grounds, there was a Mickey Mouse topiary which was given by the Walt Disney World resort in Florida. You can also see the entire group standing in front of a flagpole below.
DisneyStudiosBurbank-111.jpg

That flagpole is from the 8th Winter Olympic Games, held in Squaw Valley back in 1960. Walt Disney was the Chairman of the Pageantry committee, and was responsible for both the Opening and Closing Ceremonies.
DisneyStudiosBurbank-112.jpg

The always popular Pluto Corner. The kids had an "aha" moment when they realized why there were only 3 paw prints in the cement next to this hydrant.
DisneyStudiosBurbank-113.jpg

This is the only real street sign on the Studios lot. It was placed here for a shot while they were filming "The Reluctant Dragon". The film is about one man's attempt to find Walt Disney and have him create a cartoon. Along the way, the man is given a tour of the Disney Studios and learns all about the animation process. The sign was used for the movie and never taken down.
DisneyStudiosBurbank-114.jpg

Continuing down Dopey Drive, there's two buildings across from each other. The first is the Studio Theater, where lucky cast members get to watch some of the big hit movies weeks, and even months before they're released to the public. Ruston got to watch Star Wars here on the Thursday before it was released everywhere.
DisneyStudiosBurbank-115.jpg

Across from that is the former Animation Building. Built in 1939, it was here that Disney artists created some of our most beloved classics. Also in this building were the offices of Walt and Roy Disney.
DisneyStudiosBurbank-116.jpg

Just inside the door was a portrait of Walt, created on black granite.
DisneyStudiosBurbank-117.jpg

Now that animation has moved across the street to the Roy O. Disney Animation building, this building is used for Talent and Administration.
DisneyStudiosBurbank-118.jpg

The hallway pays tribute to many of the Disney classics. I'll just share this photo because it's from my favorite movie, Hercules.
DisneyStudiosBurbank-119.jpg

Exiting the animation building, everyone stared up at the next building before us.
DisneyStudiosBurbank-120.jpg

Here we see the Team Disney building, which is sometimes called the Seven Dwarfs building. Completed in 1990, it pays tribute to the very first Disney animated feature, Snow White. The money from Snow White was what gave Walt the funds to purchase the land here for the Disney Studios, and this building is a tribute to everything here leading from the success of that movie. This building houses the offices of the current Disney President and CEO Bob Iger, along with many other senior Disney officials.
DisneyStudiosBurbank-121.jpg

I love how the hallways and offices within the building have various Disney memorabilia. Here's a blueprint of the Haunted Mansion track. We traced the path from the loading zone, through the ride, and finally to where you unload. I'd really like to ride that last part between the unload and the loading platform, just to see what's there.
DisneyStudiosBurbank-122.jpg

I'm not sure if this Flynn's sign came from the movie TRON, or if it came from the parks. I didn't see any information beside it.
DisneyStudiosBurbank-123.jpg

I really liked this hallway. Back in 2011, The Muppets finally made a comeback with their film of the same name. During the film, our protagonist Walter goes to visit Kermit at his house. Kermit misses the old gang and has these painting hanging in his hallway.
DisneyStudiosBurbank-124.jpg

From the movie.
DisneyStudiosBurbank-201.jpg

And a youtube clip of the movie.

Not far down the hallway, we found Yoda! This statue is identical to the one we saw in San Francisco outside the Lucasfilm Digital Arts building we visited in May.
DisneyStudiosBurbank-125.jpg

A few props from the movie Oz the Great and Powerful.
DisneyStudiosBurbank-126.jpg

DisneyStudiosBurbank-127.jpg

Maleficent
DisneyStudiosBurbank-128.jpg

Austin doing his best to look regal on the throne from Cinderella.
DisneyStudiosBurbank-129.jpg

While Abby practices her royal wave.
DisneyStudiosBurbank-130.jpg

And I haven't seen the movie, but I hear this chaisse lounge was in it too.
DisneyStudiosBurbank-131.jpg

Last edited:
Arr, thar be pirates round these parts says I. Best keep a weather eye open mates.
DisneyStudiosBurbank-132.jpg

Here be a cannon from the latest movie Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides.
DisneyStudiosBurbank-133.jpg

About 25 cannon balls, at 8 pounds a piece, that's about 200 pounds right there.
DisneyStudiosBurbank-134.jpg

Or it's a neat prop from the film.
DisneyStudiosBurbank-135.jpg

While escaping from the British, Jack Sparrow made a leap from a flaming carriage onto this sign.
DisneyStudiosBurbank-136.jpg

From the film.
DisneyStudiosBurbank-200.jpg

Onward we continued to a large foyer with advertisements from recent films.
DisneyStudiosBurbank-137.jpg

Like Star Wars: The Force Awakens!
DisneyStudiosBurbank-140.jpg

An old Fix-It-Felix Jr arcade box from Wreck-It Ralph.
DisneyStudiosBurbank-138.jpg

Sulley and Mike from Monsters University.
DisneyStudiosBurbank-139.jpg

A glass slipper from Cinderella.
DisneyStudiosBurbank-141.jpg

And a new movie coming out in March, Zootopia. I'm curious to see how this one turns out. I've seen a couple previews that were funny. Hopefully it will become another Disney classic, but time will tell.
DisneyStudiosBurbank-142.jpg

There were so many things to see on this tour, I had to break it up into two posts. We'll continue the rest of the tour in the next post.

Well we've already seen so much of the Walt Disney Studios in part 1 of this story, but now it's time to see a little more!
Continuing our journey, we wound up in Legend's Plaza. This section of the studios pays tribute to all the men and women who've made such an impact on the Disney company that they've become Legends.
DisneyStudiosBurbank-143.jpg

I asked Austin if he could figure out why Ward Kimble was such a good artist.
"Uncle Joe, did he really have 12 fingers?"
DisneyStudiosBurbank-144.jpg

One of the great treats I think is how up close you can get to the Partners statue. In all the parks, it's in the middle of a planter a good 10 feet away from you. Here though you can stand right next to it!

Kind of an aside, but too good not to share. Ruston had the best Halloween costume this year.
WaltDisneyStudios-300.jpg

All the families had to get a picture with Walt and Mickey.
DisneyStudiosBurbank-145.jpg

DisneyStudiosBurbank-146.jpg

DisneyStudiosBurbank-147.jpg

DisneyStudiosBurbank-148.jpg

DisneyStudiosBurbank-149.jpg

Right behind the Legend's Plaze, the Frank G. Wells building was our next stop.
DisneyStudiosBurbank-150.jpg

Located on the ground floor, everyone needs their coffee, don't they.
DisneyStudiosBurbank-151.jpg

There's even a photo on the wall of Walt enjoying a cup.
DisneyStudiosBurbank-152.jpg

The lobby has glass display cases with all sorts of Disney memorabilia. From Zorro's hat, an original pair of Mickey Mouse Club ears from Jimmie Dodd, a chimney sweep broom from Mary Poppins, and even a tool belt from Tim "the tool man" Taylor, off the tv show Home Improvement.
DisneyStudiosBurbank-153.jpg

Jack Sparrow's rings from Pirates of the Caribbean.
DisneyStudiosBurbank-154.jpg

A sign telling the history of how the Studios came to be here. Ruston took us around to all these places a few years ago and it was awesome! You can read about our whole day here.
DisneyStudiosBurbank-155.jpg

Next, Ruston took us into the Walt Disney Archives!
DisneyStudiosBurbank-156.jpg

DisneyStudiosBurbank-157.jpg

DisneyStudiosBurbank-158.jpg

As soon as you enter, there's a Christmas tree with a variety of Disney ornaments hanging from it. It made me smile to see that instead of a train going around the base of the tree, they have a monorail! Ian and I were playing with our monorail not 2 days ago! If you want to learn more about the monorail, you can read more about my set here.
DisneyStudiosBurbank-159.jpg

Ian playing with his monorail a couple days ago.

Inside this small lobby of the archives are even more exhibits, along with a doorway that surely leads to even more treasures.
DisneyStudiosBurbank-160.jpg

Jack Sparrow's compass, from Pirates of the Caribbean.
DisneyStudiosBurbank-161.jpg

A card with Walt's signature on it.
DisneyStudiosBurbank-162.jpg

After leaving the archives, we came across this really cool art piece on the wall. Made from sheets of lexan, there's dozens of silhouettes of characters all over. We tried to identify as many characters as we could and find our favorites.
DisneyStudiosBurbank-163.jpg

The next area we visited holds a very special place in our hearts. When you think Disney, of course you think about the great storytelling and the wonderful animation, but what really sets Disney apart for me is the music. As soon as I hear a classic Disney song, in my head I'm right back in the middle of the movie.
DisneyStudiosBurbank-164.jpg

Not only that, but it's also where Ruston works!
DisneyStudiosBurbank-165.jpg

Way back when, this building had been used for assembling some of the Disneyland Main Street vehicles.
DisneyStudiosBurbank-166.jpg

A photo of what it used to look like here. Ruston said he figures his office is towards the top right of this picture.
DisneyStudiosBurbank-167.jpg

And here's where Ruston does his part to keep the Disney Music Group going. I see a flyer for the Pasadena Chalk festival! Ruston and I need to figure out what we're going to be drawing again this year soon.
DisneyStudiosBurbank-168.jpg

Walking through the kitch"Annette". Oh Ruston, you're so punny.
DisneyStudiosBurbank-169.jpg

Are these your next big Disney Music stars?
DisneyStudiosBurbank-170.jpg

Our tour is slowly coming to an end. Walking back towards the entrance, we all stopped for a group photo in front of the Studios water tower.
DisneyStudiosBurbank-171.jpg

A making-of shot.
DisneyStudiosBurbank-172.jpg

Hey! They also do the filming of the new Muppets show here! Ruston said he's walked by here and seen many of the muppets before.
DisneyStudiosBurbank-173.jpg

A shot from the show.
DisneyStudiosBurbank-202.jpg

Why does Floyd need two vans?
DisneyStudiosBurbank-174.jpg

Turns out one is real van that you can drive on the road, while the other is a "prop" with no floor, leaving room for the muppet performers to work.
DisneyStudiosBurbank-175.jpg

No visit to a Disney site would be complete without a visit to the gift shop.
DisneyStudiosBurbank-176.jpg

When I asked if I could take photos inside, I was told "As long as you take a picture of us!"
DisneyStudiosBurbank-178.jpg

After picking up a few goodies, it was time to leave.
DisneyStudiosBurbank-177.jpg

Ruston walked us back to the parking garage, where we loaded up in the cars and headed home.
You'd have thought we walked for miles and miles. These girls were a little worn out and fell asleep.
DisneyStudiosBurbank-179.jpg

Thank you Ruston for spending your afternoon with us, and giving us a great behind-the-scenes look at where all the magic comes from!

That was awesome! I was also compelled to read your Dream Suite report and I love how detailed your reports and pictures are! Thanks for the great reading material! I'm insanely jealous of your adventures with Ruston, who is obviously a huge fan and an asset to the company. One day I hope to say the same about myself!

Dude, that was awesome!!! You are one lucky individual!! I have always wanted to go and see the studio. Perhaps I will one day. Thanks for sharing your trip.

That was awesome! I was also compelled to read your Dream Suite report and I love how detailed your reports and pictures are! Thanks for the great reading material! I'm insanely jealous of your adventures with Ruston, who is obviously a huge fan and an asset to the company. One day I hope to say the same about myself!

Glad you enjoyed it Ashley!
That Dream Suite trip was pretty epic. I felt I owed it to everyone else to do it justice, and go overboard on detail.

I've had so many great experiences with Ruston, and I love that it's not just a job for him. He lives the magic.
These next couple years should be fun. After Shanghai opens, we're all planning a trip to go there and to Hong Kong Disneyland too!

Dude, that was awesome!!! You are one lucky individual!! I have always wanted to go and see the studio. Perhaps I will one day. Thanks for sharing your trip.

In my experience, there is no such thing as luck.

Kidding of course. I've been very lucky with the connections I've made, and I've made some great Disney friends along the way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter