Job search help for DD

Teacher03

DIS Veteran
I am hoping someone here can help with info...my DD graduated with an undergrad degree in speech pathology in June. She needs to go onto grad school to finish, but does not have the money and doesn't want to take out any more loans. She wants to get a job paying a wage (around $30,000) that will allow her to pay rent and eat as well as saving money for school. She wants to get into something in the health field and is really interested in medical sales. Her school is no help at all, and she just doesn't know where to start. Any suggestions?

Is there a professional organization she could join that might be able to help?

Medical sales is a primo field and you don't just casually walk into that field. If you have no prior experience you need to be
  • Very attractive
  • Very outgoing

She would need to cut her teeth selling something less glamorous. You don't just walk in and sell medical supplies, just like you don't just walk I and start selling Mercedes, you start out selling high mileage used Chevys .

Maybe she could get a position as a SLP assistant. Or perhaps medical front office. She could make over 30k if she has the right skills and someone is willing to train.

If she is eventually planning to work with kids, maybe a job at a Head Start program or a special needs preschool where a teaching degree or certificate is not required.

Speech Pathology is considered a pre- professional program. In other words, you MUST get a master's degree to work in that field. Did she know that she didn't want to do that when she started in the major?

Speech Pathology is considered a pre- professional program. In other words, you MUST get a master's degree to work in that field. Did she know that she didn't want to do that when she started in the major?

Yes, she knew that; that is her intent. Unfortunately, she needs a job in the meantime to help save money for grad school.

Maybe she could get a position as a SLP assistant. Or perhaps medical front office. She could make over 30k if she has the right skills and someone is willing to train.

That would be ideal! She has recently revamped her schedule and is ready to hit the pavement. She has always been a hard worker, and I'm sure she will find something; it's just difficult not knowing where to start.

Thanks to the previous poster about the getting involved with Head Start or teaching preschool. Unfortunately, those positions are difficult to come by in this area and do not pay well.

Medical sales is a primo field and you don't just casually walk into that field. If you have no prior experience you need to be
  • Very attractive
  • Very outgoing

She would need to cut her teeth selling something less glamorous. You don't just walk in and sell medical supplies, just like you don't just walk I and start selling Mercedes, you start out selling high mileage used Chevys .

Well then, I guess she is very lucky, because she IS very attractive and very outgoing :)

Teacher03 said:
Well then, I guess she is very lucky, because she IS very attractive and very outgoing :)

Does she have a large reliable car? She will slogging big suitcases of samples around.

Does she have a professional wardrobe of clothes that aren't stuffy conservative? This is position where the "hot" girl will get in to see the doctor.

I am hoping someone here can help with info...my DD graduated with an undergrad degree in speech pathology in June. She needs to go onto grad school to finish, but does not have the money and doesn't want to take out any more loans. She wants to get a job paying a wage (around $30,000) that will allow her to pay rent and eat as well as saving money for school. She wants to get into something in the health field and is really interested in medical sales. Her school is no help at all, and she just doesn't know where to start. Any suggestions?

I am interested to read this, because my dd (junior in high school) is thinking of speech pathology. Looked at two schools so far-seems like the master's programs are 2 1/2 years full time, year round after your bachelor's.
I was wondering if the bachelor's degree is useful for anything on its own.
One school we looked at has structured their program so you get special ed certification along with the bachelor's degree, so that's something (if you can get a teaching job of course!).
I definitely can understand her taking a break to save money. I hope she is able to find something.

I have been an SLP for 10 years and have supervised a number of graduate speech students. I have some tough but practical advice for your daugter.

I commend your daughter on being so financially responsible. I would never normally recommend young people saddle themselves with loans, but in this case she should go ahead and finish school. If not she is likely to be stuck with a degree that is of no use to her.

She will not be able to work as an SLP assistant as that requires a certification and license in most states. Also, in my 10 years I have never met or worked with a SLP assistant. These jobs are not plentiful.

WHile in graduate school, she will have a difficult time working as many internships will be full time hours.

Speech Pathology is a great career, and there is money to be made. She could earn significantly more than the 30,000 she requires as a salary now. Her best bet would be to go ahead, finish, then pay the loans back ASAP.

I wish her luck!

A good friend's daughter is just finishing her master's in speech path. She's worked her way through waiting tables while living at home with her folks so she wouldn't rack up a bunch of loans.

IMO she's quite attractive and outgoing. The type of sales position & wage OP is describing would be out of the question in this area for a 22 year old, no matter his or her ranking on the hotness scale, unless they had strong connections with someone willing to hire them and a vacant position available.

She might want to consider one of the agencies that provides services to people with developmental disabilities. The agency I work for runs group homes, day programs, educational programs and other services for a wide range of people with different needs. We have a bunch of speech language pathologists on our staff. If she got a job with an agency like ours, she could get a decent pay rate, flexible hours and actual job related experience that will help her later. I think she should consider this option.

Yes, she knew that; that is her intent. Unfortunately, she needs a job in the meantime to help save money for grad school.

She should contact some of your local universities about assistantships or fellowships available to graduate students. Many students don't know about them. For some graduate students, they are a great way to make $ and also have a significant portion of the tuition waived. It's worth looking into it.

SLP958 said:
I have been an SLP for 10 years and have supervised a number of graduate speech students. I have some tough but practical advice for your daugter.

I commend your daughter on being so financially responsible. I would never normally recommend young people saddle themselves with loans, but in this case she should go ahead and finish school. If not she is likely to be stuck with a degree that is of no use to her.

She will not be able to work as an SLP assistant as that requires a certification and license in most states. Also, in my 10 years I have never met or worked with a SLP assistant. These jobs are not plentiful.

WHile in graduate school, she will have a difficult time working as many internships will be full time hours.

Speech Pathology is a great career, and there is money to be made. She could earn significantly more than the 30,000 she requires as a salary now. Her best bet would be to go ahead, finish, then pay the loans back ASAP.

I wish her luck!

Excellent Advice!!!!!!!
Plus, the longer you are out of school, the harder it is to return!

Thanks everyone for the advice. I will relay the information on to her. She is dead set against taking out loans for school and would really like to save to pay for it. I am torn as to what she should do......she worked so hard (both to help pay for school and academically) as an undergrad and would love to see her just go on, but I admire her for her determination.

I wish her luck!

I agree. She should go ahead, get the loans, and go back for the masters. Some other SLP can chime in, but aren't there some programs that can help with payback after she finishes? Like National Health Service Corps? I'm not sure if that program applies, but maybe it is a possibility. Other options might be a sign on options at different hospitals or facilities - they are usually quite generous. If she is a good student and already completed the undergrad, she should just go for it. Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter