• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Job Need Advice (Budget Related)

Thanks so much for your input. I thought about everything and I think subbing would be good for me. I am not going to accept the contract but I will look into subbing. I just dont want to be locked in an unhappy and low paid situation. Thanks again for everyones help.

That salary is with a graduate degree! Several of my daughter's friend's started at salaries higher than 47,000 when they graduated from college. Don't you want bright, professional people teaching your children?

Thank you! :thumbsup2

Thanks so much for your input. I thought about everything and I think subbing would be good for me. I am not going to accept the contract but I will look into subbing.

2 things that contract gives you that unemployment or even subbing doesn't are 1: A classroom of your own which will look good on your resume for future employment, and 2: a way to build a routine and a work ethic. Sitting around collecting a check and waiting for a call can be an easy habit to get into and a hard one to break. Put yourself in the shoes of the hiring manager. If you had 2 candidates, one with full time experience and the other with some occassional subbing which would you choose?
That salary is with a graduate degree! Several of my daughter's friend's started at salaries higher than 47,000 when they graduated from college. Don't you want bright, professional people teaching your children?

I live in Georgia, home of the $47,000 teacher. The year I moved down here the state was ranked 49th in the nation. I haven't checked lately but I doubt they've risen much higher, at least without administrators changing the test grades to raise the scores (we have a major cheating scandal in the state) So if more money equals better results you'd have a tough time proving that here.

Georgia. I am in the Metro Atlanta area. Bachelors start at 38,000 and Masters start at 47,000.

Wow... thats pretty good considering its in Metro Atlanta.

Where I live the starting salaries are a bit higher, but the cost of living is waaaay higher than Metro Atlanta.

2 things that contract gives you that unemployment or even subbing doesn't are 1: A classroom of your own which will look good on your resume for future employment, and 2: a way to build a routine and a work ethic. Sitting around collecting a check and waiting for a call can be an easy habit to get into and a hard one to break. Put yourself in the shoes of the hiring manager. If you had 2 candidates, one with full time experience and the other with some occassional subbing which would you choose?

I live in Georgia, home of the $47,000 teacher. The year I moved down here the state was ranked 49th in the nation. I haven't checked lately but I doubt they've risen much higher, at least without administrators changing the test grades to raise the scores (we have a major cheating scandal in the state) So if more money equals better results you'd have a tough time proving that here.

I agree with this. Also, if there are that many unemployed teachers in your area there is no way you're going to be subbing every day. A woman in our neighborhood subs and has been doing it for a long time (she doesn't want/have to work). The last couple of years she's averaged a day a week. We have a lot of unemployed teachers in our area too that are on those sub lists.

Curious to know what state the OP is in that has laid off all those teachers.

I realize the states are going broke, but get so sad to hear this because I'm not sure how we are supposed to be educating our children to compete and excel in the world marketplace when we can't even pay or keep our teachers.

Curious to know what state the OP is in that has laid off all those teachers.
She lives in Georgia. It had a boom going on, a lot of people moved in which meant a lot of kids and a lot of teachers. Now the boom is over. People are leaving, taking their kids with them. Supply and demand.
I realize the states are going broke, but get so sad to hear this because I'm not sure how we are supposed to be educating our children to compete and excel in the world marketplace when we can't even pay or keep our teachers.
The kids will do fine with the teachers they have. Teacher/student ratios haven't changed just the amount of each. The teachers will either have to be mobile and move to where the work is, accept lower pay or find out how much an education degree is worth in the marketplace outside of the classroom.

Oh my..and you have a master in education?

Yup, I have a Master in Education. I am certified to teach secondary math . Also this is a message board not a college paper nor is it a job interview. I am typing fast and could care less about typos or other spelling errors!

Have you tried to negotiate with them? Like a 6-9 month contract on their terms? It may be their starting point to present you with a one year contract, and they might be expecting you to push back. It's worth a shot. :teacher:

Have you tried to negotiate with them? Like a 6-9 month contract on their terms? It may be their starting point to present you with a one year contract, and they might be expecting you to push back. It's worth a shot. :teacher:

Thanks that is a great idea. I am going to call them back on Monday to accept or decline the position. I will ask them about a 9 month contract. If they are willing to accept me with a 9 month contract I am going to go for it. I will update you guys again on Monday. I really appreciate everyones input.

I would decline the job too and look for something else, for instance, schools are always looking for substitute teachers.

(Also, it is You're right! and "... I should know better.:teacher:)

Sorry for sounding snarky, but with a Masters in Education, one would think that these mistakes would not be made at this level of education, especially in this field. Sorry if this offends.

I don't understand why the contract would run for 12 months. Are they going to have you working in the summer? Or have they been clever enough to structure it that way to lock you in and prevent you from getting a different job next year?

I'd counteroffer with a willingness to sign a contract for the school year rather than the calendar year.

I would take the contract and read it before declining it! I was laid off (as a teacher) and went on unemployment. I did find a job for two days a week teaching at a school 1.5 hrs away. I took it. It was a good year of experience and I felt like when I interviewed for new positions I had a good reason to say why I wanted a new job (wanted full time work). Also, I still got partial unemployment because the two days a week teaching was less than unemployment.

After that year they wanted me to sign a contract for the new year but of course I needed to find something full time. I did not want to sign the contract but when I looked at it I saw that it just required 30 day notice, which would be easy to give over the summer. Yours may have something similar.

They always say that you are more likely to find a job when you already have one and I believe that to be true.

Just wanted to add for anyone else that might be looking, the school system I work in has hired many many teachers this summer. 4 at the school I work at alone. Just google Gaston County Schools in North Carolina. Not sure what is still open, but I know there are some still available. We have alot of northerners relocate here :goodvibes

is flexibility. DO NOT eliminate buildings that are farther than you would "like" to drive, or that you think are in a bad part of town. These schools can surprise you--sometimes behaviors are better because they are more proactive about dealing with things. That being said, if you have a horrid subbing experience, don't be afraid to say no to subbing there again!
A successful sub has excellent classroom management skills. Most teachers are far more concerned that their class was appropriate than if the plans were followed to a T. (Oh, you will find a few whiners who never subbed who just DON'T understand why a sub cannot follow their 16 hours worth of plans in 6 hours...)
The suggestion to negotiate the contract is a good one (a private school may have leverage to do this) BUT you are still better off subbing. You can network & be "seen". Good subs get hired.
Atlanta is known for having a well-priced housing market--that salary is quite good! Good luck!
(PS and who cares if you make spelling/grammar errors here--THIS is where you can let it all hang out!....and you would THINK you could do so without snarky comments....)

If I were you I'd sub for a year. Subbing is the best way to get your foot in the door. Are you concerned that your Master's degree will hurt you in the job market? I know in my district, a brand new teacher with a Master's would not get hired. 5 years ago that wasn't the case but with budget cuts administration is looking for brand new "cheap" teachers.

I am a public school teacher in Maine. I think you should take the job with the private school. At least you will have steady income and you will gain the experience. Subbing is not reliable and it won't look as good on your resume. The pay stinks, but nobody enters the education world for the pay. The contract ending date shouldn't matter. For example, I have a two year contract and in the contract it states that I can quit any time but I have to give a certain amount of notice. The teaching jobs all start opening up in April so you will have plenty of time to give notice next year. Having a one year contract is pretty standard for new teachers, so I wouldn't worry about that part of it. The job market is horrible, we are laying off teachers every year. I think you should take what you can get before somebody else does. Good luck!:thumbsup2

Teaching contracts run year to year. This is standard practice. I am a teacher and I have never heard of school year only contracts. I think it has to do with how they space out our pay to cover the summer and our benefits as well. You can leave a contract, you just have to give proper notice.

I am a public school teacher in Maine. I think you should take the job with the private school. At least you will have steady income and you will gain the experience. Subbing is not reliable and it won't look as good on your resume. The pay stinks, but nobody enters the education world for the pay. The contract ending date shouldn't matter. For example, I have a two year contract and in the contract it states that I can quit any time but I have to give a certain amount of notice. The teaching jobs all start opening up in April so you will have plenty of time to give notice next year. Having a one year contract is pretty standard for new teachers, so I wouldn't worry about that part of it. The job market is horrible, we are laying off teachers every year. I think you should take what you can get before somebody else does. Good luck!:thumbsup2

Teaching contracts are not typically like other contracts. You CAN get out of a contract early, IF the school board approves it.
BUT I have a friend who got a job in a small district about 30 miles away 2 years ago, during the summer. A couple of weeks later our district offered her a position. She TRIED to get out of her contract, but that district's school board said NO (a typical response when a teacher is trying to leave one contract to secure one in another district). She would have had to go to litigation to fight it, and her chances of winning are slim.
BTW, subbing at the beginning of one's career is VERY appropriate to have on one's resume. Subs are in demand, especially if you prove yourself to be a good one.
You might call your district & inquire how many subs are on their sub list, and what is the average number of subs in the district on a given day. REMEMBER you can sub in ANY district...put in your app at every district (private or public) within 30 miles.
One thing we haven't mentioned--are you willing to relocate?

(BTW 20 year public school teacher here...I am working on my school librarian endorsement & got a job in a school library last year (in 2 buildings) & am thrilled to be in one building this year. This is s difficult time for you, I understand. BUT things always happen for a reason. I refused interviews at 3 buildings last year for various reasons & truly was second guessing myself after I had to take the job in TWO buildings. But I AM glad I did...and when I didn't get the jobs I thought I wanted this year, then got the one I wasn't sure of--and it is GREAT! It is funny how things always work out!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter