• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Job interview - young person

Snowflakey

DIS Veteran
Howdy everyone! My daughter has a job interview Monday. Her first "real" interview. She has a business degree (Associates) and is only 21.

Does anyone have any tips on how to ace an interview when you don't have a lot of experience? She is currently a manager at a pharmacy. Hires people, does the banking, is a pharmacy technician etc.

Appreciate any help!!!

One thing that always impresses me when doing interviews for new hires is when they come prepared with specific questions about the company and position they are applying for. Questions that show they know about the company and have done their research.

When answering questions, particularly behavior questions like, "Name a time when...", be sure to answer the question completely. The answer should cover these things:
1. What the problem/issue was
2. How they solved it (include specific methods or tools if relevant to the job they are interviewing for).
3. The results of their efforts

Along with other no-brainers like a firm handshake, professional dress, good eye contact, etc...

She needs to come across as confident.
One thing that always impresses me when doing interviews for new hires is when they come prepared with specific questions about the company and position they are applying for. Questions that show they know about the company and have done their research.

When answering questions, particularly behavior questions like, "Name a time when...", be sure to answer the question completely. The answer should cover these things:
1. What the problem/issue was
2. How they solved it (include specific methods or tools if relevant to the job they are interviewing for).
3. The results of their efforts

Along with other no-brainers like a firm handshake, professional dress, good eye contact, etc...

Yes to both of these. I can't count how many interviews I've done, with so many of them being people fresh out of college or within a couple of years.

The interviewer is going to realize they lack the specific experience they may want...but they're still willing to do the interview, so they have an open mind to training someone new. Go into the interview confident. Sure, some nerves are normal and understandable, but trust in yourself and believe in yourself. There's a difference between confident and cocky, so be mindful of that, but be confident. Doing research about the company is always a good thing, and have on point questions. They may ask "Name a time when..." questions. If they do, draw from any life experience and again be confident in your answer.

Since there is a lack of experience, I usually look for "intrinsic" skillsets/traits a person posses....I'll ask questions that relate to time management, organization, motivation, corporate culture, enthusiasm, self starter, well spoken, confident, not afraid to learn and make mistakes, etc... If I interview someone who is very strong in these areas, there's a very good chance they'll be highly successful. It's rarely steered me wrong.

My DD20 also has a big interview on Monday. Good luck to both of them!

I think some of it starts before the actual interview, such as with any communication about the job or interview itself. Professional, good spelling and punctuation, timely, well spoken, etc.

Dressing for the interview is important, too. I remember one friend who'd interviewed someone mentioned she almost didn't hire the girl because she came in wearing a low cut party-type dress instead of business casual wear, and she mentioned her mother was waiting for her in the lobby! :lmao: Those were seriously two things that bothered her, lol.

DD knows she has to put an outfit together this weekend sometime so she's not rushing around on Monday trying to find something, and also sit down and think about how she'll answer some of the questions that might come up and present herself in the best light.

Last edited:

They should be able to
Give an example that demonstrates problem solving. Might be asked how they would work something out with people that have different communication styles. Most important to me is someone who demonstrates an interest in learning, is willing to listen as well as take initiative, appears hardworking and knows they aren’t going to start at the top.

I will add that from the perspective of someone who does interviews, to some degree I think the dressing up and doing homework CAN be overrated. No, I am not saying or implying that you should go into a professional business environment in jeans and a concert t-shirt. Dress appropriate to the job you're interviewing for, but at least IMO, you don't need to overdo it. I frankly don't pay a ton of attention to what the interviewee is wearing as long as it's business appropriate. And yes, I mentioned in my post above about doing your homework on the company you're interviewing with. But again, just IMO, but make sure you're coming up with questions that may be relevant to the job you're interviewing for or something really on point in the interview. I can easily "see through" someone who just looked up facts about our company and is trying to spit them out to impress me. Frankly, I'm far more interested in your work experience and your intrinsic skills I mentioned above. So don't get me wrong, dress nice and know the company you're interviewing with, but IMO they are far secondary to how you present yourself.

I have hired a lot of people from entry level jobs to professional positions. Other than educational history and previous jobs, this is what I look for. 1) Has the person done some homework about our industry/organization? At the very least, has she/he spent time on our website? 2) Is it easy to figure out why the person wants to work at our organization? Do they have a passion for the work we do, or do they just want a job? 3) Is the applicant dressed appropriately and is she/he well spoken? (Hint - always overdress). 4) Does the applicant make eye-contact with all people on the interview team? 5) Does the applicant manage time well during the interview? For example, if the interview is 60 minutes and we tell you we have 10 questions, you should spend about 5 minutes per question. Not 2 minutes and not 10 minutes.

I hope your daughter does well!

Wow thank you everyone! Some great things are mentioned here and I appreciate it.

My daughter has had her outfit picked out and ready. She isn't much a dress person so it is a business suit - pants, blouse, jacket. Very much her. She knows this company well as her father has been in this industry her whole life so that helps.

I love what Julylady said "do they have a passion for the work we do, or do they just want a job" - that's perfect for her to remember to bring up!

I'd say her biggest weakness will be her nerves and having to talk about herself. She isn't like me - I LOVED interviewing. Loved meeting people and talking about my strengths. I will work with her this weekend on this part.

I think you've received some great advice. One thing that I really appreciate is when an applicant follows up the interview with a thank you note or email. This should happen within 24 hours and should thank them for their time and reiterate whey you feel you are the best person for the job.

Gather your thoughts before you answer a question. So often people speak without really thinking through the answer and they tend to ramble. A tip that really works, write down the questions that are asked of you, this gives you a minute to compose yourself before you answer. If you do plan on doing this, it's important that you broach the subject with your interviewer first. Tell them that you've brought a notebook with you and ask if it is ok if you write down the questions as they are asked.

This also helps you not forget to answer a part of the questions. Sometimes you get two part questions and people will forget to answer a portion of the questions.

I think some of it starts before the actual interview, such as with any communication about the job or interview itself. Professional, good spelling and punctuation, timely, well spoken, etc.

Dressing for the interview is important, too. I remember one friend who'd interviewed someone mentioned she almost didn't hire the girl because she came in wearing a low cut party-type dress instead of business casual wear, and she mentioned her mother was waiting for her in the lobby! :lmao: Those were seriously two things that bothered her, lol.

DD knows she has to put an outfit together this weekend sometime so she's not rushing around on Monday trying to find something, and also sit down and think about how she'll answer some of the questions that might come up and present herself in the best light.
Best of luck to your daughter!!!!

Have her make some notes-- actually write them out-- of things she's done at her job as well as in school. Projects shes' worked on alone and in groups to show teamwork. Also, any new process she may have come up with or improved at her current job. It doesn't matter how little she thinks it is. Computer skills and different systems she's used, even if they are in house systems-- shows she's a quick learner and not afraid of systems. She needs to have an answer for any question they ask. It's OK if the answer doesn't relate to her current job but to school, a club she was in, or a volunteer position. They all involve experience.

I interview often and most interviewers have a heart and we are very aware of jitters/nerves. Most everyone I interview has demonstrable jitters and it can cause them to do all sorts of things!! But I am compassionate and I never hold that against someone. I will say, though, a big killer for me is someone who cannot look me in they eye and when answering the question. No matter how nervous your daughter is, make sure that she makes good eye contact with the person who is asking the question. If it is a panel, answer the person who asked the question directly but as you wind down your answer also make some quick contact with the other panel members.

One suggestion, she should have answer if they ask what she bring to the company. Nothing worse than watching an applicant stammer. She should know her worth & be able to verbalize it.

Enthusiasm and complete honesty. However, often I have found that too much weight is given on interviewing skills. The job is not how well you interview, but can you execute the core responsibilities that HR outlined.

So, passing over someone who may not present well does not equal they are not the best fit for the position. The key is to look beyond the interview and look at the body of work accomplished and will this person be trustworthy.

I hire on character, not credentials.

One thing that always impresses me when doing interviews for new hires is when they come prepared with specific questions about the company and position they are applying for.
A question I ask, which seems to impress some interviewers, is " What is a typical work day like? " or "Could you describe a typical work day?"
3) Is the applicant dressed appropriately and is she/he well spoken? (Hint - always overdress).
Yup. Dress one level above the job.

I used to take a leather portfolio with pocket on one side and notepad on the other side along with a nice pen. I'd put a few copies of my resume in there in case the interviewer didn't have one handy also well as for me to refer to if needed. I usually made a few notes of stuff that would be useful to mention in my thank you note.

Howdy everyone! My daughter has a job interview Monday. Her first "real" interview. She has a business degree (Associates) and is only 21.

I just had a thought. Wouldn’t it be funny if both of your daughters were interviewing for the same position on Monday?
:jester:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter