JJPenguins Solo Trip report - complete!!

jjpenguin

<font color=red>A penguin with mouse ears & wooden
I know I haven't finished my last Trip Report, but I'm going to be brief in this one and hope to get it on the board in one go. As all the people that were there at the same time have their reports up, I think I better ;)

Yes, it's my second trip this year. It's ridiculous I know, but I was really unhappy at work and DH had said after our 10 days in May that that was our holiday for the year... I knew I couldn't last the rest of the year without going away for a bit, and the best place for me to go on my own is of cours WDW!!

Thanks to our DVC points and our APs I just had to take care of the flight costs. As usual I'm flying with United via Washington - got to get those frequent flyer miles - and due to feeling guilty about DH at home slaving away at his business I decided to not stay DVC for fri/sat (more expensive) and get a value with AP discount instead. I booked 3 nights at All Star Music (thu-sat) and then 4 at Saratoga Springs in a studio (sun-wed).

Everybody neat and pretty: on with the show!!

Thursday 28th September - Travel Day

Yay I'm going to Disneyworld. Despite feeling bad that DH wasn't coming I was really happy to go on holiday. I'd had my last day at work last Friday and was glad to just have a week of no worries and lots of pixie dust.

Check in was quick and there wasn't any noticeable difference in security levels. The flight was fine and we got to Washington early. I only had hand baggage and dashed out of the plane as I hoped I might be able to get an earlier connection to Orlando. Immigration was a breeze, the guy even asked me about Disneyland Paris and how it compared to Disneyworld!!

The next flight to MCO was delayed by about 40 minutes, and when I asked they said it was pretty full but they put me on the waitlist. I went to get myself a snack and was just sitting down to eat it when they called my name and I got on the flight!!! So I got to Orlando at 17.00 instead of 19.00!! Later I learned that I had probably been even luckier than I thought as there were severe weather warnings later that day and delays of 4 hours and longer.

At Orlando I got Magical Express to the resort, had to wait about 10 mins for the bus to leave but soon we were on our way. I loved the video they played!!

Check in at the ASMU was quick and painless and this was my first view as I walked to my building

IMG_4201.jpg

Unfortunately when I got to my room in Broadway it was a smoking room, I am so used to non-smoking being the norm in the US I didn't even check... so I called the front desk and got a room in Country Faire. Back to the front desk for a new key and off to the new room which was about as far away as you could get but fine.

By now it was 8.30 so I decided I wasn't going anwhere this evening, I sent a text to DH with my room number, had a quick dip in the pool and a chicken quesidilla in the food court - very nice - and then it was off to bed!

Friday 29th September - But you don't need cash at Disney!

I slept well, was awake at 3 am as usual, but despite feeling that it took forever to fall asleep again it was suddenly 7am and it wasn't a dream, I am here!! And I'm alone, so I get to channel surf in the morning!! Let DH know I was awake and he called and we chatted for a while - it's so much cheaper for him to call instead of me calling him - and then it was out into the lovely warm day.

IMG_4202.jpg

My vague plan was to do a park in the morning and than later take a bus to Kissimmee to get go to Target and Joann (craft store).

I had thought of going to Animal Kingdom first but as there were a lot of people at the bus stop was very full I decided to go to MGM. However the Epcot bus came first so that's where I went - Soarin' was calling my name. On my way to the entrance from the bus I overheard someone saying "but I don't really want to see or do anything today"... just cracked me up, why are you at Epcot then??!?!?!

Soarin' was a walk on, but I had to wait for the front row, had a nice conversation with the CM and with the another man who was also waiting. That's one thing when you are solo, you talk to people a lot more, and they also talk to you more. On my way out I got a fastpass and then had breakfast at Sunshine Seasons. Wandered out to Living Seas and asked if there would be any soft soft openings this week but the CM said they were only starting CM training October 2nd, after which I promptly forgot all about it and didn't even visit Crush this holiday!!

IMG_4208.jpg

2nd time Soarin' was just as good and I got front row again! I was hoping not to this time as I wanted to try the other row.. Went to send an e-postcard to DH at the imageworks and then spent some time trying to catch the fountains on film..

IMG_4221.jpg

Browsed the pin booth and found a great pin of Baloo!! and also got the Passholder exclusive pin and then had a quick spin on Test Track thanks to the single rider line.

By now it was about 1pm and I thought I would go over to the TTC to get the bus for my shopping trip. Once in the monorail I realised that I didn't have any cash with me...oops, don't think that will work on the bus...I didn't have an ATM card with me, only a credit card...hmmm, how can we solve this...

Maybe I can get cash at a hotel? So off to the GF I went, had a nice wander round there but no dice on cash on the cc. So off to the MK, went to guest relations to get my ticket to MNSSHP and asked there, but they could only do $50 in Disney Dollars which I did as I figured that would be a good idea for the F&W festival booths.

Into the MK and first stop was for Ice Cream... Mint Chocolate Chip... YUM!! I paid with Disney Dollars and got ordinary $ return. Hey, that will work for the bus, not enough for a return ticket though... have to hang around and get another ice cream later ;)

First thing on the "not really a plan" plan: Pirates!! Waited around for the Cap'n Jack show, the guy they had was really spot on.

IMG_4236.jpg

The show was a bit loud though so I headed on to POTC, the new Davy Jones effect is brilliant as were the Cap'n Jacks. I also enjoyed the fact that the audio is not drowned out by the song now.

Wait times were minimal, but I just enjoyed wandering around soaking up the atmosphere, had a quick spin on BTMR and popped in to Mickey's Philharmagic which were both brilliant. Then went to get more change by getting Figaro Fries at Pinnochio Village Haus. Got my change but the fries were not as good as I remembered.

So cash in sticky paw I made my way back to the TTC and the bus. No problems there and soon I was at Target where I got some stuff I needed for my MNSSHP costume and some other bits and bobs. Then off to Joann where I spent a small fortune on stuff for beading... had a cute hitchhiker in my trolley, I really jumped when he suddenly moved....

IMG_4241.jpg

Back to the resort by bus, ferryboat - the ferry was full of folks going to MNSSHP, saw some cute costumes! - and bus. Grabbed a quick bite at the food court, and then it was off to sleep!

Saturday 30th September - Hi Aruna, say hello to Deb, Jason, Lou, Nathan and Vernon

Up early today; the day before I left I had read in the AllEars newsletter that Deb Wills would be having a mini-meet at MGM at 08.30!! so it was early to rise today. After the usual phone call with DH it was up and at 'em. Today I walked over the parking lot to ASSp and got the bus there, it was a bit longer but nice to see Sports.

At MGM I headed over to Starring Rolls. Deb recognized me from 2001 when we had met at the forerunner of Mousefest the RADP meet. It was nice to meet the folks behind the site.

At about 10.00 everyone went their separate ways; Linda and I headed over to R'n'R for a quick ride in the front row. Then she went to get more menus for AllEars and I went over to the ToT gift shop to get the rest of my costume for MNSSHP. Walking down Sunset Boulevard I came across this Futer Star, who was "uking" for food:

DSC00075.jpg

Next was a visit to Jason at Sunset Club Couture. Jason is one of the Watch Artists there, we bought a Star Wars watch there last trip and Jason was very taken with JJ.

IMG_3115.jpg

Jason was surprised to see JJ and me and said thanks for the photo's which I had sent to him. He then completely surprised me by saying he had made a sketch of JJ and was going to send it but he didn't have my address, he didn't have it with him but I arranged to come by on Wednesday to pick it up.

I then headed over to the NFFC show and sale at the Swan, that hotel is huge!! I finally found the venue, didn't know what to expect but it was a sort of Disney bring and buy. Luckily I didn't have any cash as they had some nice stuff. Lot's of pins and old souveniers, also signed stuff and limited edition prints, basically anything and everything related to Disney and Imagineering. Also book authors etc.

My main reason for visiting was to say Hi to Lou Mongello of the MouseTune podcast which I did, he was really impressed that I came over and I got a T-shirt! Turned out that Nathan Rose of MT was also there so we spent some time chatting. Then Brian Blackmore came past to say hi to Lou & Nathan. Brian is a Disney artist who has been on the podcast. He was also impressed that I had come all the way from Holland and asked if I spoke German too. His wife is German and he speaks it so we spent some time chatting in German and then he sketched me a Mickey, how cool is that, 2 Disney Artist sketches in one day!!! And then it got even better as I ran into Sophie - Queenie from the DisBoards - so many famous people ;)

DSC00096.jpg

The Big Fig Brian Blackmore designed and the sketch he made for me

By now I was hungry, so I said my goodbyes and went over to the Dolphin to find something to eat, that place is very difficult to navigate but I found something at last. Then I headed back to ASMU for some downtime.

Had a nice swim and relax and then headed out to the MK for the evening. Vernon, an ex UK-Dis-er who was now living in the US and working for DVC was on duty at the MK this evening and I was going to drop by and say hello. Which I did; we spent a couple of hours chatting on and off, as he was working and had to do his DVC spiel. I also helped some guests with directions, complete with 2 finger point and all! The booth was also a great place to watch Spectro from so after Vernon finished his shift we watched Spectro together and then said goodbye.

I then had a quick bite to eat at Columbia Harbour house and when I came out Wishes was on, it was great walking through Fantasyland with the fireworks going off all around. Strolled over to Tomorrowland for a quick ride on the TTA and then off to ASMU and to bed!

Sunday 1st October - Just Shopping

Packed up in the morning for my transfer to SSR, yesterday when talking to Vernon I had had the brilliant idea of taking the DVC tour - which I had wanted to do to see what it is like, as we bought resale - and in doing so getting my transfer from ASMU to SSR. So I did that... and then spent the whole day trying to justify buying more points....

After checking in and dropping my luggage at Bell Services I headed over to the good old TTC where I got the Lynx bus to the Florida Mall, but it took so long to get there, and 2 changes than by the time I was there I didn't really care anymore. Did get DH the Incredibles T-shirt he had been wanting. So after a couple of hours I went back and stopped at Michaels (another craft shop) and Books-a-million at the end of I-drive on the way back. In retrospect I should have just done that instead of going further.

Then I continued to the Premium outlets, first I had a Philly Cheese Steak at the food court - this was something I had been wanting to try - which was slightly salty but good. This picked me up enough do a whirlwind shop, mostly for DH (that guilt complex again!!) but got some stuff for myself at the Character Warehouse and a very colourful skirt at Oilily. When I showed it to DH he just said : "Why? were you temporarily blind"... I almost didn't give him his stuff!!

Then it was a taxi back to SSR ($12) where I got my luggage, dumped all the shopping on the cart as well and we headed of to Congress Park, room 1412. Great location, didn't have a direct DTD view but from my balcony I could see the Rainforest Café. Love the decor, very tasteful and warm. Quickly unpacked and sorted through the loot and then walked over to Artist's Palette as I felt peckish. Didn't really want anything big but then remembered the microwave so I go a flatbread to go. Back at the room eat half of it and put the rest in the fridge.

Strolled over to the quiet pool and - I'd been looking forward to this: the hot tub!! Mmmm that felt good. :thumbsup2 Stayed for an hour or so and then it was off to sleep in my new room.

Monday 2nd October - Time to meet the Dis-ers

This evening is the MNSSHP meet so I was going to take it easy today, also now I've done all of the offsite stuff I'm a lot more relaxed and feel like I've got loads of time to do the parks!
Plan was to do AK EMH and then back for some downtime before the evening. So after my wake up call from DH and the usual messing about getting ready I was off to AK. It was later than I wanted and the bus was full.. hmm...
At AK the line to get in was pretty long, so I used the RFC route and there was no-one!

DSC00106.jpg

I wandered slowly through the Oasis, ignoring the crowds rushing through I spent time looking for/at the animals as now was a good time as it wasn't that hot yet, the blue macaws were out & about..

DSC00128.jpg

I then wandered over to Asia and leisurely strolled the Anandapur trail and once finished I walked over to Africa. Outside Flights of Wonder they had a CM with a fabulous Horned Owl. I thought of watching the show but was getting hungry so decided to go to Tusker House instead.

DSC00172.jpg

Tusker House was pretty full, so I ended up getting a smoothie across the road. I then debated on whether to do the Safari or go to Conservation Station, as it was so busy I decided to do neither and go to MGM instead ;) On the way out I met Wes Palm and he was really surprised that I knew his name so I had to give him a cuddle as I was leaving the park... never knew I was a tree hugger did you?!

I got to MGM and went to get lunch straight away followed by a short wander around and watched some more streetmosphere before heading back to SSR and the High Springs pool.

DSC00184.jpg

By six or so I had got my MNSSHP costume on, I was going as a guest from the Hollywood Tower Hotel (ToT) and had a HTH Bathrobe on and a blonde "Marilyn" wig and carried a beauty case for my Trick or Treating.

The MK was beautifully lit as always, and I spent some time taking it all in. I got quite a few comments from CM's on my costume! All the rides had 5-10 minutes wait which was brilliant. I started out in Tomorrowland and then went to Toontown, trick or treating with Alice with everyone dressed up as playing cards.

At 08.30 it was time for the Dismeet at the Liberty Bell, I hustled over there and met with ArielJasmine, Queenie (again) and DeeDee, and their other halves. (for a pic see the post by ArielJasmine on the community board) It was good to put faces with names and I gave everyone a glass bead Mickey that I made for them in either Dis lime green or Pumpkin orange. (I'd made a lot to give out to special CM's, housekeeping etc. everyone thought they were fab). After a bit of chatting we headed off to the Haunted Mansion as being appropriate for the night. In the queue we had fab entertainment by Madam Carlotta, a compatriot of Madam Leota.

When we got out it was almost time for Hallowishes so we hotfooted it over to the Hub to watch. The fireworks were great, but I missed the classic Halloween music. After that our ways parted and I headed off to Frontierland to do some more rides. After trick or treating in Adventureland with the Jungle Friends I did Splash and BTM, followed by a leisurely stroll back through Fantasyland and a ride on the Caroussel. I passed on the teacups and went to get something to eat at Cosmic Ray's Starlight Café where I was just in time for Stitch's dance party. That was great fun! Stitch was in his Elvis suit and had some mean moves, he was then joined by Donald and Pluto and everybody was bopping away; a brilliant end to the evening.

By now the park was really emptying out, so there was a short wait for the bus, and we had a great bus driver who sang songs, told jokes and ensured that the fun still continued until we were home!

Tuesday 3rd October - What day is it??

Back to Animal Kingdom today!! And today it was very quiet which was wonderful. I took it very easy as I was having problems with shin splints. I slowly walked to Asia via Dinoland and when I was on the bridge between the lands a boat with characters came through, it was really funny as there were a couple of Japanese girls next to me and they were screaming as if it was Robbie Williams ;)

DSC00193.jpg

I got to Everest and spent some time taking pictures and soaking up the atmosphere. The wait was 10 minutes so off I went, I asked for the front row and was sent to a separate row which took an extra 5 minutes, but it was sooooo worth it!!!

DSC00206.jpg

DSC00211.jpg

I stopped in the shop to get the T-shirt I missed getting in May, and then on exiting the shop I saw the single rider line... so off I went for the second trip, and did front row again. Although I wasn't sure about EE in May, I now love it!!

Walking over to Africa I caught a glimpse of Devine...

DSC00232.jpg

In Africa I got a FP for Kilimanjaro Safari's and then headed down Pangani Forest Trail.

DSC00254.jpg

DSC00276.jpg

Then it was time for lunch, and time to try the Rotisserie Chicken at Tusker house, which was good, but way to much on my own. Followed by a quick spin on KS, lots of animals this time! Headed out and saw the Giant Anteater on the way out, which was a first.

By know my shins were really playing up so I went back to SSR and treated myself to a couple of hours in the Spa. It's very nicely appointed and I just relaxed in the Sauna and Whirlpool which did my muscles a world of good

In the evening I was planning to do the F&W at Epcot but I was so relaxed that I didn't realise that it wasn't Extra Magic Hour till tomorrow.. so that was a quick dinner!! Didn't have much but what I had was good - Meze at Turkey and Sushi ;) I then left by the international gateway and took a boat over to the Boardwalk where I caught the bus to DTD to do the DVD shop for DH. Had another great bus driver who kept everyone entertained on the way with corny jokes and trivia. I got everything on DH's list so my suitcase is now filled with his loot ;) and then returned to SSR to sleep and dream, tomorrow will be my last day :((

Wednesday 4th October - I don't often say it but that is Totally Awesome!!

Today it was off to MGM, I had a date with Jason! I was there nice and early, Mickey was still getting his hair cut ;)

DSC00355.jpg

And once inside I spent a lot time taking a lot of pictures with the great morning light. Then I toddled over to see Jason; he had just come in and still had the sketch in the car so we made an appointment for the evening.

I got a FP for ToT and then headed over to the ABC commissary and got my breakfast which I ate outside looking at the hat and the characters that were out there, I really missed DH that moment as he loves MGM and wasn't there to enjoy it with me.

Headed off to do Muppets after a quick hello to Mike & Sulley.
DSC00391.jpg

Muppets was great as usual especially the penguins, and Rizzo in the pre-show of course. Speaking of which....

DSC00392.jpg

After that I dropped in to the ToT and followed that with a visit to Beauty and the Beast which I hadn't seen for ages. As it finished my camera batteries finally died on me, not bad after about 250 piccies!!

I had made an appointment for the freebie make up lesson for DVC members at Guerlain and also wanted to finally attend a complimentary F&W festival seminar as I'd missed the ones on tea & chocolate at the weekend. So it was off to the Epcot boat. I had the same captain as a couple of years back, the one that has trained birds to eat out of his hand..

Once in Epcot I first headed off to the camera shop, which is all the way at the beginning of the park, as my spare set of batteries were showing that they were low, even though I charged them before the holiday, still better safe then sorry so I was off to get them charged. On the way I stopped to see what the seminar was about and found it was a cooking demonstration, so I figured I would pass on that.

While the batteries were charging I headed over to Mission Space which was great as always, I wanted to send a video postcard to DH but my station wasn't working. On the way out I did get some great photo's even with a dodgy battery.

DSC00436.jpg

DSC00441.jpg

Picked up the batteries and then hoofed it over to France.. It was nice to sit down in the cool for an hour ... but never again!! I got a really heavy (for me) make up, nothing was explained and then was asked what I wanted to buy, not a pleasant experience for me. And now I had to go back to the hotel to wash it all off!

Which I did and then it was back to MGM to pick up my sketch from Jason. But first I had to get some sketches of my own to show him so it was off to the Animation building. I went 4 times in a row !! and got Donald, Goofy, Mickey and Goofy again (from a different angle), all but Mickey are pretty good even if I say so myself ;)

But none could compare to Jason's.... I was expecting a small B&W sketch but what he had come up with was this:

DSC00456.jpg

Totally Awesome!!!!! I was just blown away. We had a great time chatting for awhile about JJ, Jason wants to be his official portrait artist which is fine by me! While we were chatting Queenie passed by which was a coincidence. All too soon it was getting late so we said our goodbyes and I promised that we would be back soon and JJ would get a Darth Vader outfit for next years visit!

I did a quick tour of a now deserted MGM, as everyone was at Fantasmic..

DSC00462.jpg

DSC00466.jpg

Had a final ride on Star Tours and up to the last moment had it all to myself, but in the end was joined by 2 other people. Then it was off to catch the Epcot boat before the rush after Fantasmic. The boat was rather late so it wasn't until 9pm that I got to Epcot. Did a round of WS, eating here and there, found the food good, but prices were up since last time with an average of $3.50 per portion. And then finally it was time to say goodbye as I still had to get all the stuff into the one small suitcase ready to go home tomorrow...

Thursday 5th October - Travel day

Well, got everything in the suitcase, it's heavy but not bursting at the seams.

Had breakfast at Artist's Palette and then went over to DTD for a last minute helping of Pixie Dust, walked back to SSR and it was only 8 mins walk to my room, brilliant, can I have the same room next time!!

Then off to the airport via ME, another great video, an uneventful flight, and all too soon I was back home early Friday morning to cold and rain and My Darling Husband... !!

It was a great trip and as usual I can't wait to go back. Luckily DH wants to go for Star Wars weekends next year and wants to make it a 2 week stay.. hmm, where's that DVC planner ;)

Great trippie - sounds like you had a wonderful time - that sketch of Jedi JJ is amazing :)

Thank you :thumbsup2

Great report. Great photos. How cool to get the sketches - especially the one of jj. Thanks for reminding me that I need to PM Vernon - we're meeting up with him sometime during our upcoming trip and I need to make arrangements.

I always love seeing the photos of jj enjoying himself in and around WDW. Did you take any this trip? They're always brilliantly executed shots.

What a wonderful sketch Aruna, you must be dead chuffed. Fabulous piccies too.

What a wonderful trip report! :thumbsup2 Excellent photos too. Love the sound of your MNSSHP costume... :cool1:

Fantastic report Aruna, and wonderful piccies, what a wonderful sketch that is from Jason :thumbsup2

What a fab report Aruna, I love the picture of JJ - it's brilliant. Did you get a photo of Elvis Stitch ? I hope one day to get a piccie of him

Thanks for sharing your report and lovely photos

Mandy :)

Glad you guys like the report.

And yes, we are chuffed to bits with the sketch and it has been framed, but we need to find the perfect spot for it.

UKDeb, i did take quite a few piccies of JJ, but as I'm hoping to use them in a quiz they're going to stay under wraps for a while.

Brilliant report and photos :goodvibes Love the JJ sketch :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter