Jj abrams directing new star wars!!!

Excellent pick in my opinion. Abrams is one of my favorite current filmmakers, and he can easily adapt to keep with the tradition of a style of film.

As a Disney and Star Wars (And for that matter Star Trek) Fan. I say UGH!

I'd rather have Gore Verbinski.

I dunno...

On one hand it creates some sizzle...

On the other Abrams has had a hard time finishing a story - if you look at it objectively. He ran out if gas on Lost an the Star Trek movie - while a step in the right direction...was too heavy on CGI and became a little too watered down.

I'll give him a mulligan on that though.

I actually wanted someone like Christopher Nolan...who understands that nothing looks worse than elaborate, expensive CGI with no depth...would have liked to see John Favreau take a shot too

But I guess we'll wait and see.

Waterloo moment coming for Star Wars with this movie - obviously. Either become relevant in the context of pop culture again or continue to slide toward silliness.

Possibly a big turning point for Disney as well.

They appear to sparing no expense though ...Abrams did not come cheap. The screenwriters they're lining up are good as well. Lawrence kasdan coming back for the sequels brings some familiarity to the old ...aka "good"...movies.

Nervous and optimistic.

As a Disney and Star Wars (And for that matter Star Trek) Fan. I say UGH!

I'd rather have Gore Verbinski.

Unfortunately, the response I want to give to this comment is not allowed by the TOS, but needless to say, I feel you are very very very very very wrong.

Yes, well your Tarantino comments in the past make me question your take on Abrams both with Star Trek and Star Wars but hey each of us are entitled to our opinions.

I dunno...

On one hand it creates some sizzle...

On the other Abrams has had a hard time finishing a story - if you look at it objectively. He ran out if gas on Lost an the Star Trek movie - while a step in the right direction...was too heavy on CGI and became a little too watered down.

I'll give him a mulligan on that though.

I actually wanted someone like Christopher Nolan...who understands that nothing looks worse than elaborate, expensive CGI with no depth...would have liked to see John Favreau take a shot too

But I guess we'll wait and see.

Waterloo moment coming for Star Wars with this movie - obviously. Either become relevant in the context of pop culture again or continue to slide toward silliness.

Possibly a big turning point for Disney as well.

They appear to sparing no expense though ...Abrams did not come cheap. The screenwriters they're lining up are good as well. Lawrence kasdan coming back for the sequels brings some familiarity to the old ...aka "good"...movies.

Nervous and optimistic.

Unfortunately, the response I want to give to this comment is not allowed by the TOS, but needless to say, I feel you are very very very very very wrong.

Well, my comment was damning with faint praise.

aka, Twice nothing is still nothing.

Jj Abrams is not good. To me, Verbinski, in the context of Star Wars specifically is ever so slightly less not good.

Just what Star Wars needs ... more lens flare!

Besides his obscene overuse of lens flare, I think it's not too bad of a choice. They could have done much worse, and I enjoyed Star Trek and Super 8. The test will be to see how he handles a completly unique fantasy universe, not just Sci-Fi based in our 'earth universe' or future.

~Star Trek is so boring. I was really hoping that The Avenger's director would produce Star Wars! We'll see! :goodvibes

Thrilled with this choice. My fave current film maker, and unlike many others, I loved the end of Lost, and enjoyed Star Trek, so I'm very happy with this choice.

~Star Trek is so boring. I was really hoping that The Avenger's director would produce Star Wars! We'll see! :goodvibes

Did you happen to see Abrams' 2009 Star Trek? It was quite a good movie... and I love Joss Whedon (Avengers), but Star Wars really wouldn't be a good fit for him.

Actually, I think Joss Whedon would make a fine Star Wars director. his penchant for character interaction would be an excellent fit in Star Wars.

Plus, all those "Joss Whedon is my master now" Tshirts would have new relevance.

He's never done movies, but if they were going to pull someone over with Trek experience, I'd have loved to see what Ron D. Moore did with it. He has hands down created the best SciFi, the best Space Opera since perhaps the originals.

Of course, I'd rather have him handling the writing than the directing.

Actually, I think Joss Whedon would make a fine Star Wars director. his penchant for character interaction would be an excellent fit in Star Wars.

Plus, all those "Joss Whedon is my master now" Tshirts would have new relevance.

He's never done movies, but if they were going to pull someone over with Trek experience, I'd have loved to see what Ron D. Moore did with it. He has hands down created the best SciFi, the best Space Opera since perhaps the originals.

I agree that Whedon would be amazing for Star Wars. But I think there are more people that understand and are a good fit for Star Wars, than folks who truly understand translating comic books and the Marvel universe. Basically I'd rather let someone else have Star Wars than lose Whedon as the Marvel gatekeeper. I don't think he could handle both.

It's an interesting point about Ron Moore. He's done a ton of great writing and producing, but even in TV he usually stays away from directing. I think unitl he gets his hands dirty with a little more TV directing, he won't get any shots at feature film gigs.

Did you happen to see Abrams' 2009 Star Trek? It was quite a good movie... and I love Joss Whedon (Avengers), but Star Wars really wouldn't be a good fit for him.
~Okay, I finally looked at Abrams film bio. I don't know, at this point. No, I haven't seen the Star Trek movie. I just hope he strikes the right balance between story telling and action! I wonder why Disney overlooked Andrew Stanton, it wasn't his fault John Carter bombed! :goodvibes

~I agree. I thought Whedon would be the obvious first choice for Star Wars. :goodvibes

I agree that Whedon would be amazing for Star Wars. But I think there are more people that understand and are a good fit for Star Wars, than folks who truly understand translating comic books and the Marvel universe. Basically I'd rather let someone else have Star Wars than lose Whedon as the Marvel gatekeeper. I don't think he could handle both.

It's an interesting point about Ron Moore. He's done a ton of great writing and producing, but even in TV he usually stays away from directing. I think unitl he gets his hands dirty with a little more TV directing, he won't get any shots at feature film gigs.
~Great post, I agree about the possibility of "losing" Whedon to Star Wars! I love The Avengers, so it's probably best for him to stick with the Marvel franchise! :goodvibes

Completely agree about Ron Moore.

Star Trek DS9 and TNG were both fantastic serials...but because of characters, not tech. Those shows were only sci fi in the scenery - they dealt with a lot if complex emotional, societal, and philosophical issues.

His battlestar was fantastic too...from start to finish.

That's what Star Wars needs...it's at a low point that I never thought it could get too. And the reason is they don't develop (or possibly even consider) what makes a good story and then let ILM crackpots go wild and have their iMacs puke stuff on the screen...and come up way short.

But I'm confused about one thing...why is joss Whedon being heralded as the champion of character development?

It can't be Avengers....if it is, then do tell?

JJ getting the gig is brilliant news IMO. Perfect choice.

Just as good was the choice of screenwriter, Michael Arndt.

Just hoping now that Lucas leaves them all to get on with it. He's an amazing man to do what he's done but nows the time to let go.

FYI, Disney finally confirmed Abrams last night.

Whedon was my first choice, and he was already in the fold. Abrams was a surprise, given that he was already in control of that other major SF franchise. In all likelyhood Paramount will hand those reins off to someone else...they don't like it when someone plays for the other team :)

As for Lucas, he really doesn't have much say any more. He's retained as a consultant, but I understand he won't have any direct control.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter