Jingle Bells, Panic smells; a Joanna & Panic Christmas PTR -Finally an Update! 11/29

I just finished reading you flashback to 1985. :rotfl:Those stories are hillarious. The Knotts Berry Farm incedent was great, but it's hard to top the Alabama story!

The Alabama story is one of our all-time family favorites. :cutie: I still have to contain myself when I see "It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown" :rotfl:

Have you ever been to La Nouba? It is an awesome show you are really going to love it!!

No, I've seen other Cirque shows, and really liked them. DH hasn't seen one, and he's looking forward to it. So excited!

Even though Panic was born by this time, we left her at home for this trip. Grumpy had a conference in DC, and Queenie and I tagged along for a long weekend.

I apparently had an artistic eye at 6, because every picture I took was just slightly crooked… maybe I was thinking when in Washington…?

img018.jpg

We stayed at the Willard hotel – which is where several Presidents had stayed, so I felt pretty special. We had such a swanky hotel because my parents were secret agents in the ‘80’s.

img017.jpg

The story here, comes from a trip to Mount Vernon (George Washington’s House) (remember, I’m celebrating my 6th birthday on this trip) We were taking the tour, and at the end the guide asked if anyone had any questions, so I raised my hand. The guide called me and said “I bet I know what you’re going to ask about – this tea set” I just looked and he blankly and said “No, I want to know where the key to the Bastille is.” The guide looked a bit thrown, but showed me where it was. She then asked how I knew about it, and proceeded to give her a 10 minute dissertation on the key and how it came to Mount Vernon from Thomas Jefferson (I’ll spare you for this TR) My parents had to drag me out of there – heads hanging embarrassed by their smarty-pants daughter…

Speaking of Presidents, we went in March, ( shortly after the 1st president Bush took office) and there were cardboard cut-outs of George and Barbara everywhere. So I got my picture taken with one.

40.jpg

When I got back, I told everyone I met the president, and they all believed me. So funny… No one believed me when I said I met Alabama :laughing .

Actually, we had this picture on the slideshow for our wedding too, and there was an audible gasp in the room when it first came up. Then Grumpy shouted “they’re cardboard” and everyone laughed… he’s such a party pooper.

Then about 10 years later, I actually did meet the 1st President Bush, when he was attending a golf tournament near my parent’s house and he almost ran me over with a golf cart. He apologized, and the secret service people gave me a sticker or something. I was kind of traumatized by almost being run over and dropping my hotdog so I couldn’t entertain him with my story…. Too bad!

By now, you’re probably wondering what the casualty of this trip was… since you’ve undoubtedly realized that I’m super responsible and loose things all the time. The casualty of this trip would be my beloved snowball, a small white rabbit stuffed animal that got tangled up with the sheets, sent down to housekeeping – never to be seen again. RIP snowball, I loved you so.

...Really thinking hard for a punchline here, but it's just a really random update, and I'm tired... so I got nothing....

Okay... back to the task at hand... December!

We definitely want to soak in all the Christmas-y goodness. I have a feeling we won't be back at Christmas time for a while...

We're going to all 4 parks, and will hit the major holiday sights - the Castle, Osborne lights, Candlelight processional (if they ever release the narrator list and the packages - seriously people!!), and the parades and storytellers.

So I'm trying to come up with an idea for resort hopping. Obviously, we'll hit up the Boardwalk and GF when we go there for dinner, and we'll be at the AKL sort of, so I'm not worried about that... but which other resorts are worth it?

I think I can easily fit in all of the Deluxe resorts into the plan, but are any of the others worth it? DVC or Moderate? Swalphin?

What else besides just looking at the decorations is there to do at the resorts that is a don't miss? DH and I usually only go to other resorts to eat.

in sort of... but not really at all... December trip news, I was on the Disney Shopping site buying some baby shower gifts for my cousin, and I found myself looking at the DB bags again. I find this odd, because I'm not really one to like designer purses or really Disney clothing/accessories for the most part (though I'll admit to owning a few items) I have no problem with them, they're just usually not my style. But, I think I've finally decided to get myself a Disney DB bag for Christmas. I have been looking at the "sketch" wristlet forever, but I couldn't pull the trigger. Then I saw the new Princess design, and I was sold! I have a billion wristlest that I use frequently, but always struggle to find a good big purse...So, I figure if I'm going to do it, why not go for the gold and get a big one?

I'm pretty sure I like that one better than the black one

I'm also pretty sure that I won't wait until Christmas, because well now I want it :rotfl: So I'll check it out in person in September...

I still take issue with spending that much on a purse - I mean my wedding dress wasn't that much! :scared1: But I still have and use the $7 purse I bought to go to homecoming my freshman year in HS... so I'm pretty sure I'll get some major miles out of it....

I also like this purse... but I'm not sure how much I'd use it outside of Disney...

Believe it or not, I only bought the baby shower gifts today :rotfl:

Instead of the fun DB bag... I bought a stupid camera. Boo. We researched new ones, but decided that we had the best one for what we wanted. So i had to fork over $250, for something that "Santa" had already gotten me. Grrr.... Stupid AirTran and sketchy people!!!

Yes, I know it was my fault, but I'm still mad :mad:

Although, this time... we got a good deal on an orange one, so it'll be orange instead of black. So I guess it's not exactly the same.

Great updates. Loved the DC trip- especially the "secret agent" photo and the George Bush stories. :laughing:

I love the new DB purses. I want to get one too!!

They're doing a good job with the DB bags... I wasn't a fan at first, but I really like the new ones!

Great updates. Loved the DC trip- especially the "secret agent" photo and the George Bush stories. :laughing:

:rotfl:When I was looking through the pictures to scan in, I was with my mom. She found that one first and she was like "oh, this is from my CIA days" and tossed it into a pile. My dad and I both did a double take. That picture is just too funny.

Again non-related to this TR, but our ME papers for September arrived today! Yippee! We're getting close!

By the fall of ’89 we finally decided that we had to bring Panic along with us. Where to? Disneyworld!

33.jpg

We had a club level MK view room at the GF! My parents saw the prices for that room now and they had a heart attack – definitely wouldn’t happen now!

img015.jpg

The first day we were there, Grumpy told me he would get me Minnie ears if I wanted them. I saw someone with super awesome gold-lamae bowed ears, and decided they had to be mine. Poor Grumpy went all over looking for them. They only sold them at 1 stand at MGM. Finally they were mine!

img006.jpg

I know my mom and I saw Captain EO, and I also have fond memories of Food Rocks!

32.jpg

I’m excited to see Captain EO again… now they just need to bring back Food Rocks and Wonders of Life, and I will be a happy girl!

Um maybe they should bring back this super-awesome ‘80s space Mickey too!

Pardon the random kid that got ignored by Mickey because o Panic’s cuteness.

img007.jpg

Panic is afraid of dead things. She always has been, and still is to this day. On this trip, we took her on the Haunted Mansion. My parents convinced her it wasn't scary and they were friendly ghosts, so we went on it. Panic was having none of it, and after the first room proclaimed "I'm closing my eyes now" and buried her face in my dad's chest. He had to carry her outside and assure her we were out before she'd open then back up. I'm pretty sure she hasn't been back on since!

We had dinner at “Windows on the World” at the Contemporary. (how funny is Panic in this picture!)

35.jpg

Who knew that 21 years later I’d be in the exact same place with family and friends toasting me and my new DH! :goodvibes

I also remember going to the Hoop-De-Do Revue and the brand new MGM park!

34.jpg

It was a great trip, and obviously spawned a deep love and appreciation in me.

OMG, Food Rocks! Awww I sometimes miss all the old attractions. :guilty:

Look at the old Dumbo! We have pics of us on that one too. It's funny how much space was in between each elephant back then. Now it's like double the capacity!

I got an email about those new D&B bags. Soooo cute. Must resist esp. since I already got the sketch one in April...I really think the wristlet is adorable. I have been reading stories about people getting 20% off coupons at CS restaurants. I wonder if they are still doing that? If I got one of those I'd be so tempted. :rolleyes1 If I see them when we're there I'll take pictures. ;) (Plus that may be the only way I get another one! :rotfl:).

Sorry, one more thing...didn't see the comments about the decorations at first. :rolleyes: Pretty much all of the Epcot resort area ones are good...Boardwalk, Yacht Club, and Beach Club. Wilderness Lodge is awesome too!

I don't know about the DVC ones...a lot of them are already covered in the deluxe resorts. :laughing: And Saratoga Springs didn't really have anything too spectacular. Don't get me wrong, it was pretty but it was basically just a tree in the Carriage House.

Wonderful flashback! It really brought back a lot of memories for me.

I remember the characters in their spacesuits at EPCOT! And I know people complain that the characters don't wander around anymore like they did back then, but I think it's worth having more structured meet-and-greets just to get pictures without other kids who got pushed up to the character while you're taking the shot. I think most of of character pictures from the 80s look like yours with some random kid in it. :laughing:

Your parents booked a club level theme park view room at the Grand Floridian without checking the price first? :scared1:

As far as resort decorations, I think sticking to the Deluxes should get you most of the impressive displays. Port Orleans French Quarter had a lot of interesting decorations too. They didn't have a giant tree, but they had four good-sized ones in the lobby along with a lot of garlands and wreaths with Mardi Gras masks and such on them and poinsettias in a bunch of places. If you're at Downtown Disney, it might be worth it to take the boat there if you're intersted.

OMG, Food Rocks! Awww I sometimes miss all the old attractions. :guilty:

Look at the old Dumbo! We have pics of us on that one too. It's funny how much space was in between each elephant back then. Now it's like double the capacity!

I got an email about those new D&B bags. Soooo cute. Must resist esp. since I already got the sketch one in April...I really think the wristlet is adorable. I have been reading stories about people getting 20% off coupons at CS restaurants. I wonder if they are still doing that? If I got one of those I'd be so tempted. :rolleyes1 If I see them when we're there I'll take pictures. ;) (Plus that may be the only way I get another one! :rotfl:).

Sorry, one more thing...didn't see the comments about the decorations at first. :rolleyes: Pretty much all of the Epcot resort area ones are good...Boardwalk, Yacht Club, and Beach Club. Wilderness Lodge is awesome too!

I don't know about the DVC ones...a lot of them are already covered in the deluxe resorts. :laughing: And Saratoga Springs didn't really have anything too spectacular. Don't get me wrong, it was pretty but it was basically just a tree in the Carriage House.

I loved Food Rocks... but Isuppose Soarin' is a fair replacement :rotfl: There are some attractions that I miss - and some not at all - yeah I'm looking at you ExtraTerrorestrial....

I didn't even think of the Dumbo differences until you pointed them out. It was much more roomy back them. The elephants look lonely :rotfl:

I really liked the sketch wristlet - I almost bought one in June... but now I'm in :lovestruc with princess bags! Hmmm... 20% coupons you say? I'll have to check that out. Be sure to report :cutie:

Thanks for the opinion on the decorations. I think we'll keep our quest to the deluxe resorts...

Wonderful flashback! It really brought back a lot of memories for me.

I remember the characters in their spacesuits at EPCOT! And I know people complain that the characters don't wander around anymore like they did back then, but I think it's worth having more structured meet-and-greets just to get pictures without other kids who got pushed up to the character while you're taking the shot. I think most of of character pictures from the 80s look like yours with some random kid in it. :laughing:

Your parents booked a club level theme park view room at the Grand Floridian without checking the price first? :scared1:

As far as resort decorations, I think sticking to the Deluxes should get you most of the impressive displays. Port Orleans French Quarter had a lot of interesting decorations too. They didn't have a giant tree, but they had four good-sized ones in the lobby along with a lot of garlands and wreaths with Mardi Gras masks and such on them and poinsettias in a bunch of places. If you're at Downtown Disney, it might be worth it to take the boat there if you're intersted.

Yeah, I've got to agree, the lines are much better. It might take some of the spontaneity out of it, but order and fewer random people is always a bonus!

I think that I didn't say it right :rotfl: At the time we stayed at the GF, my parents knew how much the room was. And at the time it was a good deal for us. But back in the '80 (at least according to my parents) the GF wasn't as much more expensive than other hotels as it is now. A few years ago, we looked into staying there again (in 2008) and I priced it out and my parents had a heart attack about the 2008 price. So the experience won't be repeated any time soon :rotfl:

Hmmm.. Thanks for the tip about PORFQ.... I might just use the decorations as an excuse to get beignets too :rotfl:

I know I know, I just posted my plan of attack like last week. But what can I say? I sat down this weekend and revisited and re-vamped my plans...

So without further ado... Our plans version 2.0

Day 1
  • flight arrives at MCO ~ 11
  • Pick up Rental Car (either at airport or Swalphin...not sure yet)
  • Check in @ resort
  • Pick up lunch either at the Mara or somewhere in DTD
  • Grocery shopping at Publix or Costco
  • Settle into room
  • Explore Kidiani and Jambo
  • Dinner @ Jiko

Day 2
  • Epcot (rope drop? I'm gonna try :rotfl:)
  • Future World
  • break (maybe not for DH, Panic and I...but maybe)
  • World Showcase
  • Dinner @ Bistro de Paris
  • IllumiNations

Day 3
  • Universal - IOA (not so detailed yet...)

Day 4
  • DHS (still holding out hopes for rope drop :cutie:)
  • Break - maybe Restort hop to S&D, YC, BC, and BW.
  • Return to DHS for Osborne Lights Display
  • Dinner @ Flying Fish

Day 5
  • Magic Kingdom (you know what I'm going to say...)
  • Break mid day - back to the room for lunch
  • Return to MK
  • Dinner @ Artist Point

Day 6
  • Animal Kingdom (hmmm.... maybe this day we'll actually make it to rope drop?)
  • Break - lunch in room
  • ICE at Gaylord Palms
  • Dinner back at Room

Day 7
  • Epcot (no need to even try for rope drop today...so we'll be up early for sure!)
  • CLP Package for lunch - 9 Dragons or Rose & Crown hopefully...
  • World Showcase
  • CLP @5
  • Back to Resort to freshen-up and change
  • V&A late seating

Day 8
  • Christmas
  • Relax in Room
  • Maybe AK if we feel like it
  • Dinner in room

Day 9
  • Free Day - any park for return visit
  • Downtown Disney
  • Mini-Golfing
  • Pack
  • Finish up food in room

Day 10

• Leave:mad:
  • DO NOT MISS THE ME

Okay, how do these revised plans look? Anything I'm missing?

Thanks to a lucky swing at a Golf outing, we were headed back to FL just a year later. My dad had won a week’s stay in a timeshare in Sarasota. He claims skill, we all know it’s blind luck! Since we had just been to Disney, less than a year before – we only visited there for a day.

Which part would we choose? Magic Kingdom of course!

We visited “Mickey’s Star Land” which was the pre-curser to Toon Town

img092.jpg

See that flounder Panic has? He still holds a special place on her bed! Not all of us loose things constantly – jut me!

img023.jpg

P.S. I know you’re super jealous of my styling fannie-pack. I told you I am a fashion icon!

Back in Sarasota, we went to lunch at this cool place right on the beach. Panic ordered the chicken tenders, and my dad ordered Shrimp cocktail, when the orders came, Panic proclaimed “that’s mine’ about my dad’s shrimp cocktail. My poor dad ended up eating the chicken tenders.

We also went to Bush Gardens.

Why does this car have 2 steering wheels? How does that even work?

img019.jpg

I remember getting soaked on my first raft ride. Lesson learned, always wear a poncho!

img020.jpg

We were finally at the age where we’d ride the rides.

img021.jpg

We also went to the beach and searched for shark teeth. I got totally into this, and amassed quite a collection on this trip.

The condo we were staying in, had patio furniture that had been moved into the condo before we even got there. The table was a small table with tube-like legs. (can you get a mental picture?) We were there over Thanksgiving, and Thanksgiving morning we were all sitting on the bed, watching the Macy’s parade… and suddenly my dad jumps up and moves the table outside.

He wouldn’t tell us why he did it. Just said it was bothering him. Well, after we left and were back home, he revealed that he saw eyeballs looking back at him! A gecko had crawled into the tubes and had been there all week. Total smart move not telling us!

Your dad is a very smart man not telling you girls about the gecko!!! I would have freaked if I would have seen that!!

This update brings back so many memories! I loved Mickey's Starland as a kid, and I took many a trips on those little cars in the Dwarf Village at Busch Gardens. You probably wouldn't even recognize it anymore; that whole area was just redone with a Sesame Street theme. Not sure if the cars all still have two steering wheels or not though. :laughing:

Your dad is a very smart man not telling you girls about the gecko!!! I would have freaked if I would have seen that!!

My dad grew up with 4 sisters, and now has 2 daughters and a wife. He's very smart when it comes to knowing what to tell us and what to discretely just take care of and move along. He's a quick study :rotfl2:

This update brings back so many memories! I loved Mickey's Starland as a kid, and I took many a trips on those little cars in the Dwarf Village at Busch Gardens. You probably wouldn't even recognize it anymore; that whole area was just redone with a Sesame Street theme. Not sure if the cars all still have two steering wheels or not though. :laughing:

I hope the cars are anatomically correct now. Especially if it's Sesame Street - bad to be teaching kids incorrect car anatomy :rotfl2:

I haven't been to Busch Gardens in Tampa since that trip. I keep wanting to go back - like I keep wanting to go back to IOA... I just never make it past the Disney Gates :rolleyes1

’91 brought us back to D.C. for my Dad’s convention again. This time we brought Panic with us.

We went to the library of Congress (an you can’t make it out, but I’m rocking a sparkly & neon Ariel shirt)

img024.jpg

Again, it was a just long weekend, but we soaked in the sights and strutted our stuff.

img026.jpg

While my dad was at his conference, us girls went to our (well, my and Panic's) first-ever trip to the Smithsonian. I was in 2nd grade at this point and about a week before we left, I was reading a book about Passenger Pigeons - which are a once abundant bird that was hunted to extinction in the early 20th century - in class. At the end of the book, it said "if you're ever in Washington DC, visit the last passenger pigeon, Martha, at the Smithsonian." (Well she isn't on display anymore, but she was at the time)

I was a girl on a mission. I had to find Martha. So I dragged poor Queenie and Panic all around the Natural History looking for Martha. Poor Queenie was asking everyone we came across where she was, but no one knew.

I was becoming enraged. How could no one care about Martha? Defeated, we went down to the cafeteria to meet my dad and get some lunch. We explained our unsuccessful mission, to him. I had faith he could fix anything - I mean he even found Alabama for me :rotfl: so I was convinced he'd find Martha for me.

After lunch, us girls headed to the bathroom, leaving my dad in the hallway waiting as most dads are familiar with. As he was waiting for us, he realized he was leaning up against a display case, so instead of just waiting, he started to look at the displays. When I came out of the bathroom, he called me over. "Joanna, Guess who I found?" Could it be? It was Martha! My dad had saved the day again (and this time it really was Martha, not just some guy in a cowboy hat!)

My mom gave him an evil stare. She'd been schlepping around the museum for 4 hours looking for that dang bird. My dad was there for 5 minutes and wasn't even really looking for it - and he got all the credit :rotfl:

After that we went around to all the sights so more. My mission complete, I could finally relax.

img027.jpg

Your new plans look good!

YAY for Starland! We loved it there. Best thing was the mousekemaze. :laughing:

Your new plans look good!

YAY for Starland! We loved it there. Best thing was the mousekemaze. :laughing:

hmmm... I don't remember that one. I remember waiting for the Main Street Electrical Parade, and my dad went somewhere and got these amazing fritters. So yummy. I've never been able to find them again though!

We visited “Mickey’s Star Land” which was the pre-curser to Toon Town

img092.jpg

See that flounder Panic has? He still holds a special place on her bed! Not all of us loose things constantly – jut me!

img023.jpg

P.S. I know you’re super jealous of my styling fannie-pack. I told you I am a fashion icon!

zOMG look at how SASSY we are in that pic! Totally giving off some serious 'tude.

^_^

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter