Jimmy Kimmel's "I ate all your halloween candy"

My kids are weird. They get their candy, have a few pieces on H'ween night...maybe a few pieces the next day. And then it just sits there. Until I throw it away about a week later.

So, if I did this, they would be all like "uh, so...it was going for the garbage anyway...". Totally opposite of the reaction this bit is looking for.

Any parent who has a kid hit them because of this is doing something wrong. And, before it's pointed out, yes..the kid could have some disability..but I believe they are also taught the basics like don't lie, don't steal, don't hit..

Just because a child is taught something over and over, it doesn't mean they have mastered it yet. Some kids, especially those with disabilities, impulse control issues, etc, take a while to learn something. I'm not saying this is what you're doing, but it really bothers me when people assume that parents are not working on teaching their kids good behavior just because they see a kid misbehaving. It takes time and often involves baby steps.

Btw- I don't like the videos or what the parents are doing to their kids, either. I mean, if the parent had good judgement, I could see some doing it and it being ok, depending on the kid. My parents played pranks on me and I thought it was funny after the initial fear, but I was older, too. This is just cruel.

Do you really think lying to your child, and goading them on til they cry, while filming it so others can laugh at them, is a good way to toughen up children? :confused3

No, I don't, and that's a straw-man argument that implies otherwise. What I do think is that kids learn from their experiences, both good and bad, with both being equally valuable.

The world is cruel :) It doesn't hurt to toughen kids up a little bit and develop their coping skills, lest the world eats them alive.
It is my job as a parent to protect my toddler from learning until she's a bit older the world will eat her alive. Why would I as a parent intentionally make her feel bad? That isn't the way I chose to parent.

Just because a child is taught something over and over, it doesn't mean they have mastered it yet. Some kids, especially those with disabilities, impulse control issues, etc, take a while to learn something. I'm not saying this is what you're doing, but it really bothers me when people assume that parents are not working on teaching their kids good behavior just because they see a kid misbehaving. It takes time and often involves baby steps.

If a child had any one of those issues I would hope their parents would realize a prank that might upset them isn't worth the 5 seconds it may or may not get shown on Kimmel. I cringe seeing the kids who hit or get extremely nasty because the parent really should have thought better then to submit it for the world to see especially if they have a disability that lead to them acting that way.

No, I don't, and that's a straw-man argument that implies otherwise. What I do think is that kids learn from their experiences, both good and bad, with both being equally valuable.
Sure. Bad experiences can be just as valuable when they happen naturally. But in this thread we're talking about a bad experience, orchestrated by parents to hurt their own children. It makes no sense to me. What are the children learning? Don't trust their parents? Their parents are liars?

Any parent who has a kid hit them because of this is doing something wrong. And, before it's pointed out, yes..the kid could have some disability..but I believe they are also taught the basics like don't lie, don't steal, don't hit..

Oh geez, my kids have spent the past 20+ years doing dumb things that we never taught them to do. AND I think most parents would admit the same, if they're being real about it. If that's not your experience, it's pure luck. Really.... we teach them well and then just hope for the best. I don't subscribe to the good parent/bad parent thing anymore. I believe that the VAST majority of us are doing our very best.

Would the people that find this kind of punking of little children hilarious laugh just as hard if their spouse pranked them with something equivalently upsetting that made them sob? I would kick a jerk like that to the curb.

You're too generous. I would kick them in the groin, then the kerb.

Maybe these same kiddos will prank their parents when they're old, frail, and vulnerable....

I'm not a fan of this kind of prank at all. Like the Xbox example above, I think it's pretty cruel and pathetic to make a kid upset on purpose just for your own amusement, even if they'll "get over it quickly."

Good pranks? Something like the reverse of the Xbox - give a kid a box labeled with something boring but put an Xbox inside. Although, even that can fail spectacularly, as proven by the video of the adorable little guy from a while ago who was extremely upset to find out that he was going to WDW and not, in fact, to a broccoli farm.

Like the videos where a kid gets an X-box for Christmas only to discover the box contains underwear, or the ones where jerks give a gift of a fake winning lottery ticket, I don't find these candy videos funny. I think they are appalling and cruel.
One year my mom got ds a new comforter, had it wrapped and under the tree for weeks. Ds was so exited to open such a big gift! It was pretty funny when he opened it. He still brings it up, years later.

Would the people that find this kind of punking of little children hilarious laugh just as hard if their spouse pranked them with something equivalently upsetting that made them sob? I would kick a jerk like that to the curb.

Yes I would laugh if I was pranked. We are a prankster kind of family. We prank each other a lot with me being the main one. My SO is a bit more sensitive so I have to watch myself but my kids like a good prank.

Also, no way would my kids ever lay a hand on me. That'll be the day. I don't get a child hitting their parent, unless there are disabilities.

Yes I would laugh if I was pranked. We are a prankster kind of family. We prank each other a lot with me being the main one. My SO is a bit more sensitive so I have to watch myself but my kids like a good prank.

Also, no way would my kids ever lay a hand on me. That'll be the day. I don't get a child hitting their parent, unless there are disabilities.

Your kids like you making them cry as a prank and then saying it's a joke? Hmmn.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter