• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Jikos heaven and Kona nightmare!

lookingforward

DIS Veteran
We just returned from a long weekend at AKL concierge and had a wonderful time. We booked the sunset safari at the AKL through concierge and it included a chef's dinner at Jikos. It was absolutely amazing, every course was more wonderful and the dinner flew by. I will post the menu tomorrow. It was well worth the money and except for the small child who sat above me and banged her light up toy on the metal dividers it was perfection.

Kona's cafe was a really, really bad experience and I am one of the most patient people around. We booked the reservation for 2:45 for a late lunch which was going to be our last meal on the dining plan before we drove home.

Our server was completely inept. Don't flame me until you read the following:
We showed up at 2:30 and promptly ordered appetizers and drinks. My son asked if they had root beer or Mr. Pibb and she said she did not know what sodas they offered as "I'm kinda new". Okay...
At 2:50 she came by and took our meal orders. I asked if the terriayki steak was tender and what cut was used. She said "I dunno know, never ate it". I kid you not. So I asked if she could ask. She turns to the bussboy a few tables away and says "hey! is the teriyaki beef tough?" He did not speak english and shrugged his shoulders. She turned to me and said "DUNNO". I asked if she could ask and she left to check. She came back and said "new york strip, its tender" . We then ordered our plated lunch which included sticky rice and macaroni salad. We waited another 15 minutes and still no appetizers. SO..I asked if she was sure that the appetizers would be served first and she said "Yea, I just put the whole order in". The appetizers (five of them) came seperately and several minutes apart. She left out the crab cakes all together and had to go and find some. As soon as we started eating the appetizers (3:15) our entrees came out. We said that we had just gotten our appetizers and the man who brought them said "okay" and left with the meals. After our appetizers were done our server brought our meals. She said "they are nice and hot, I put them under the heat lamps". YAHOO! The cold macaroni salad was hot and spoiled. The sticky rice was hard. The meat was okay but overcooked. The server said that the rice is "supposed to be hard and crispy" (NOT!) and we then asked to see a manager. The "manager" came over and said that she acknowledged that our meal was "unedible" but there was nothing she could do to fix it as the kitchen was CLOSED tight and would not reopen until 5 p.m. (we had to get on the road by 4). She said she could get us fast food from Captain Cooks or try to squeeze us in at Ohanas at 4. She then offered to buy us "lunch" on a future visit. Now, this was a full dining credit but she made sure to say it had to be "lunch" and not dinner. Yea! We had dessert but no real lunch and they proceeded to charge our last dining credit for $150.00. The server never apologized for her mix up (putting the whole order in at once) and she never told us that the kitchen was closing, etc. (she got a $30 tip). She did not know the menu and did not know even what soft drinks were offered. The manager was polite but unwavering and offered no apology. She refused to write a voucher and said our "name" was in the back if we ever wanted our free "lunch". I hope you are not thinking I am being a baby about this but I felt really offended. The server ended our exchange by saying "hope this experience did not ruin your view of disney as we strive to provide good service". Okay :happytv: :rotfl2: :rotfl:

Anyhow, we enjoyed everything else we had on our weekend. AKL concierge was wonderful as usual and the Mickey's Not So Scary party was a blast. Amazing fireworks.

Thanks for the review. We are dying to try Jiko but with a darling toddler I dont want to ruin anyones meal so that is out of the question for a few more years. We are staying at AKL CL in a few more weeks and I am glad it was nice. I will probably skip Kona although this was a toss up between there and Spoodles. Looks like I made the right decesion. Thanks for taking the time.

You will really love the AKL concierge, and it will be a great place for your little one! The lounge is very child friendly (food offerings and seating). Have a wonderful time!!

I heard from several sources at the AKL that the sunset safari is going to be offered to all guests and the price for the tour and chefs dinner will go up to over $200. It will be offered seven nights a week.

Have a wonderful vacation.

Oh, what a horrible Kona exp! I always tell people that WDW dining is completely hit and miss - we had the best meal of our 8 night trip at Kona and it was mainly due to an excellent waiter. We also ate at Jiko and Kona outshined it, even.

My mom wanted me to change our Kona reservations after she had a horrible service exp there a few months ago. We decided to give it a shot and it was excellent.

Wish they were more consistent!

Glad you enjoyed Jiko; sorry about the kid =(

Wow, what is with all the stories of rushed meals at the Poly? I hear O'Hana is JUST as bad!

SLOW IT DOWN CMs!

Especially since the Poly is a DELUXE!!! We DISers expect to be spoiled! ;)

Kona is one of my all time favorite restaurants too! We have had some of the most wonderful meals there and usually eat there at least once each time we visit. That is why I was so shocked...that disney would have a server who was so uninformed and had absolutely no idea how to be a good waiter. My friend works at WDW and those server positions are very coveted. They make darn good money in the grand scheme of waiter/salary averages and people wait a long time to become one at the better restuarants. I waited tables in college and know how difficult it can be, but the first thing we always had to do was memorize and sample the menu. :confused3

Awesome meal and amazing service at Kona last November...totally different experience in March! The right server can really make a difference! Thanks to those who go above and beyond (for us, that was Holly at Kona!)

Sorry for your problem at Kona's. I have eaten here a number of times and had always had excellant service and good food. It seems as if you got a new server who was not trained very well. I would have ask for a new server if it would have been me.

We also love Jiko's - I especially like the halibut in tomato butter sauce.

We love Kona, however we went there for dinner this summer and got a really slow server. She kept promising to bring us bread and eventually brought this with the entrees (we had almost finished) 2 other guys brought the entrees out while my husband was still eating his appetizer. I hope service improves as this was one of our fave restaurants.

I'm sorry you had such a terrible experience at Kona. Please write a letter and let them know. This should have not been handled the way it was.

lovmy2girls said:
Wow, what a nightmare!!!!!! :sad2:

Twas a figure of speech :thumbsup2 Alas a $150 figure of speech :rotfl2:
I forgot to add: serving spoiled food to children could be a "potential" nightmare, don't you think?? :goodvibes

Wazzo said:
Wow, what is with all the stories of rushed meals at the Poly? I hear O'Hana is JUST as bad!

SLOW IT DOWN CMs!

Especially since the Poly is a DELUXE!!! We DISers expect to be spoiled! ;)

We were at WDW the last two weeks of August. We ate almost every meal in a Disney restaurant (more than 30 meals). We didn't feel rushed once. In fact, some restaurants I thought were too slow, including 'Ohana - go figure.

Now, we were not on the dining plan, so could it be that they rush the dining plan patrons??

I think if people are worried that their entrees are going to come out at the same time as the appetizer, they should order the appetizers, then order the entrees when the appetizers come.

I have only been to Kona for breakfast and loved it - I am sorry you had such a bad time - I cannot believe the server - I dunno, never ate it! UGH!

DH and I LOVE AKL, I have yet to try Jiko, but you sure make me want to go!

Laura said:
I think if people are worried that their entrees are going to come out at the same time as the appetizer, they should order the appetizers, then order the entrees when the appetizers come.

I agree. That is why we ordered the appetizers at 2:30ish and the dinner at 2:50. When she took the dinner order at 2:50 I made sure to ask that they not be brought together. They were ordered seperately. What we did not know is that the kitchen closed down at 3 pm. and she put the entire order in together (her fault). There were only three tables with guests, she had two and another server had the third. It was pretty much empty.

Laura said:

I guess you could do that....but you shouldn't HAVE to. A good server should put the appetizer order in first. I know most of the better restaurants (heck, even the just ok ones - like Applebees) strive to give you time to enjoy the appetizers before the main course.

What a horrible experience. I would get the number for WDW and wright them a letter telling them about your experience. I'm glad you liked Jiko, it is our favorite place to dine at WDW. We always have to eat there on every trip. :)

Wow, Kona was one of the best meals we had on our trip! We were about 20 min. late for our ADR but were still seated in 5 min. I guess we had a great server because we were being a bit picky and DH and I both made substitions on our dinners and got what we wanted. Now at 5:10pm (fri 9/15) the service was abit slow, but the restraunt was packed so that was understandable. The only odd thing was the woman who walked through the restraunt took pictures of the dessert dispaly and walked out without odering anything! :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter