Jiko or Tiffins... What would you choose?

DSG

Earning My Ears
I am excited to be taking my mother with me to WDW this upcoming September! I am working to make sure my mom gets the best experiences and something we both love is food. She is up for trying new things, as am I. She loves to experience different cultures as well, so during our AK day I am looking combine those experiences and bring her to try out either Jiko or Tiffins.

Here's why I can't decided. I haven't been to either restaurant before and I know both have gotten soild reviews even with Tiffians being so new. My mom also hasn't been to Disney in almost 20 years and at times can struggle to get around. So on an experience level I was originally thinking Jiko so I can get her over to AKL to experience the resort as well as the park.

BUT

Now AK has started its nighttime events. I have heard pros and cons about the nighttime safari. I know I personally really would like to do EE at night (which for sunset in September would be around 7 / 7:30ish). However, if we go to Jiko we will miss most of the evening experiences. (Not sure how much more there is to experience at night as well?)

ALSO

The Jungle Book show is supposed to end a few days before our planned AK night with no word on an extension, RoL or anything else at the moment.

So with so much uncertainty I simply ask.....

What would you do?

Would you attend Tiffins for an earlier meal, stay in the parks and embrace the nighttime experience in AK?

Would you skip the night time, experience AKL and Jiko and head back to the hotel (WL) and relax for the rest of the evening?

Any other ideas?

Have you considered an early dinner (5ish) at Jiko and heading back into the park after to experience the park at night? I haven't tried both restaurants but I think AKL would be a different experience at night :)

I've been to both and both are great! The nighttime safari is a complete bust IMHO and who knows whats happening with the nighttime show. AKL is absolutely gorgeous! How about riding EE around 7 pm and then heading over for a later Jiko dinner, maybe around 8 pm? That way you get the best of both worlds. If you do decide to go to Jiko, I would still recommend stopping into Nomad Lounge at some point and getting a drink - they are SO good! You could also do a lighter lunch at Tiffins (maybe just some apps?) and then have dinner at Jiko?

DH and I had a different experience at Tiffins - it was not particularly good. Was our least favorite meal in a 4-day trip, and we're in no hurry to return. I echo a PP about Nomad Lounge - that was great! Loved it! Awesome atmosphere and imaginative drinks. We'd stop there for cocktails, then head to Jiko for a late dinner.

I have heard pros and cons about the nighttime safari.

1) The nighttime safari is a joke.
2) Worse, it is a BAD joke.
3) The lighting is terrible and tough to see enough animals to make the wait worthwhile.
4) As for the meal, Tiffins is not that great . . . TrustTheScupper.
5) However, the bar area (Nomad Lounge) is nice and has decent drinks.

Our Ratings of Tiffins: (*rev 6/22/2016*)
. . . food price value: C
. . . food quality: B
. . . food quantity per serving: C
. . . food prep speed: C
. . . food selection: B
. . . seating quantity: C
. . . seating comfort: B
. . . eatery atmosphere: B
. . . eatery convenience: B
. . . staff friendliness: A
. . . staff attentiveness: C
. . . character interaction: n/a

Our Recommendations:
. . . appys:... Flash-fried Icy Blue Mussels
. . . entrée:.. Berbere-spiced Lamb Chop
. . . dessert:. Lime Cheesecake

NOTE1: Tiffins is located within the Animal Kingdom park, and is a Signature Dining experience. The atmosphere is fresh and light, and (surprisingly) the noise level is acceptable. Although new, we found the service a little slow and uneven for attentiveness. The prices were higher than we would guess, but it is a SIG within a park, so WDW figured they can charge anything they wish. Even if you are a chocoholic, pass the South American Chocolate Ganache dessert.
NOTE2: As opposed to other better WDW eateries, one cannot order "restaurant" food at the Nomad Lounge bar. Only the "bar menu" is available.
NOTE3: I know the new manager of the eatery, and unfortunately never saw him move among the diners. This is something I would expect at a Signature restaurant. What a pity. He should have seen what was happening and talked to the other guests who had complaints.

Last edited:
The Tiffin's menu does not appeal to me, so until/unless they improve it, I'd go elsewhere. Jiko early or late, combined with evening at AK, looks like a good idea.

Tiffins for Lunch and Jiko for Dinner? That's what I had to do on our upcoming trip, although not on the same day as some members of our party want to do Yak and Yeti for dinner.

I can personally vouch for Jiko as it's been on our itinerary ever since.

I can't vouch for tiffin's personally as I haven't been there myself but my parents enjoyed tiffin's lunch quite a bit when they went last week. Especially the new taste of tiffins which let them pick two from the majority of the dishes on the menu to try them out.

Jiko has always been one of our favorites, but I would jump at the chance to eat at Tiffins. Unfortunately, on our next trip we'll have a squirmy 5 yo, plus DSIL , whose idea of upscale dining is a burger on a real plate. Sigh. Hopefully we can try it out on the trip after that.

Thanks Everyone! This has definitively helped me get a better idea for my plan of attack for the day :hippie:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter