• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Jiko or Sanaa if staying Club level?

disneypunch

Earning My Ears
Ok we are value resort people. We have an upcoming trip staying at Pop for 5 days than off to AKL for 2 days & staying club level. So excited never stayed at a deluxe closest was the cabins in price anyway. So we arrive on a Thursday and check out on a Sat.
Originally planned Sanaa for Thursday night but I think we will just do counter svc with the club offerings.
So we want to do a dinner on Friday night.
Sanaa eat dinner or Jiko get some apps, salad, and an entree to share maybe and definitely dessert.
It will be me, husband, daughters 13 & 18 months.
Thank you!

We LOVE Jiko. Have yet to try Sanaa, but hear good things about it. But, I rave about Jiko. Hands down one of our favorites on property :)

Love both restaurants and I have been lucky enough to spend a whole week at AKL CL on the DVC floor - it is amazing and you will love it. Sanaa might be more fun for the kids, especially the little one. It is a more family oriented atmosphere and the animals are right out the window. Jiko has that more "fancy" signature atmosphere, and though kids are welcome almost everywhere at Disney, we got more "looks" last time when we brought DS who was 8 or 9 at the time. Plus side of Jiko is that it is right downstairs. You may want to reserve one, then check it out when you get there and decide. The concierge desk is so helpful with reservations. We had a last minute change in plans when we were there and they were able to score us a Sci Fi lunch reservation during spring break an hour beforehand.

I am assuming that, that type of food appeals to you. I love it but its not for everyone. I have to laugh when I read reviews of people that say the food is horrible because it is weird. I have to think, well what were you expecting? The apps in the lounge are very good, IMO. They also have a great kids buffet that our DD3 loved (pb &J, turkey and cheese roll ups, ants on a log, etc) Also I would make sure to come back up for desserts. So with that being said I say go with the one that most appeals to you. And depending on if you are a big eater or not, I would focus on the appetizers. That's the most that I could eat at any TS that we ate at after having the snacks in the lounge. I probably prefer Jiko, just because what I got at Sanaa was really spicy, although it was not labeled to be so.

My first thought right away was Jiko...but then I thought with the kids, Sanaa would probably be better. Not that Jiko is not kid friendly, but it is a more adult-oriented restaurant.

Plus, depending on what time your dinner is, you can see the animals when you eat at Sanaa and I think the kids would LOVE that.

There's always BOMA..omg. Soooo good!

If you're up for it I'd say Jiko for dinner and do a lunch at Sanaa. The view of the animals outside when its light out is amazing and we love the food. Jiko is also great, if you do only do one, I'd probably vote Sanaa if the you don't think the would make Jiko enjoyable.

I would think your girls would enjoy Sanaa more. I prefer the food at Sanaa (dined at Sanaa 4x and Jiko +6x). It also gives you an opportunity to check out the Kidani resort since you are staying at Jambo.

Thanks so much for all the advice. A lunch at Sanaa and dinner at Jiko might be an option. Our family loves all kind of food but we don't like spicy so I will have to mention that to server before ordering. My 13 year old is like an adult but the 18 month old stinker may be full of energy at Jiko. I have looked at each menu they seem different so it's hard to really know which I like better. Sanaa mentions a lot of bread services can't really picture unless it's bread and dips. I am sure we will figure it out. We haven't been to a signature restaurant yet plan on going to Flying Fish on Christmas Day.

The breadservice is a selection of breads with dips (watch out a few are spicy, but they are pretty well noted). Our favorite bread is the different Naan breads available (a flavorfull flatbread, cooked in a tandori oven) kind of like a pita.

Sanaa will be a more economical dinner, will have animals outside, and the kids' menu has some very good choices. Jiko is fantastic, but also pricier.

Here is a trick, though: If you get there on Thursday to check in around, say, 3:30pm or so, you will be in good position to do the Culinary Tour of Africa that they run through Boma and Jiko. You get to try a soup and a dessert at Boma, and get to try the Taste of Africa appetizer (bread and dips) at Jiko. It is a pretty good (and free!) way to try some of the food there without committing a full meal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter