Jiko or Boma?

BlondeAppetit

DIS Veteran
We have a Jiko reservation planned. Is it worth the extra credit or should we opt for Boma?

I have also considered Sanaa.

Thoughts?

Jiko is one of my favorite restaurants in Disney World. Would you rather have a buffet?

We have a Jiko reservation planned. Is it worth the extra credit or should we opt for Boma?

I have also considered Sanaa.

Thoughts?

We've never tried Jiko, but we love Boma. It's one of our favorites and is a must do for us every trip. With that said, I have read alot of great reviews for Jiko if you prefer a signature.

Jiko is my favorite resturant in Disney. The wild boar tenderloin app is really good. My DW is a picky eater and she really likes it as well.

Can't help with the credit business as we never do the DDP.

If you like buffets I hear Boma is a good one.

BUT I'd MUCH rather have a good meal at JIko:)

In terms of "worth" are you asking as in terms of the food/service or the prices? I only ask because very few venues are actually "worth" 2 TS credits because you have to select the most expensive entrees (in most cases) to be economically efficient on the DDP at a Signature.

Now in terms of food and service, I've enjoyed my meals at Jiko. The food is very good, with some things having more or less African influences.

If you are unsure about the African spices and/or flavorings, then perhaps Boma is a better place to start. It's a buffet, so you can try a little of a lot of things to see what flavors you like best.

I've ate at both and thought Boma was better. When we ate at Jiko's We had a party of 10 people and out of that party there were only 2 people who liked there food. Several had the Steak and mac that everyone raves about. I still get teased about booking Jiko, the group thought it was aweful. But if you like unusual food with odd seasonings then you might like Jikos. I wished I could have used that extra credit for another meal.

I highly suggest Sanaa! The only the about TS credits though is appetizers aren't included, so I would have to say you should consider paying for "Bread Service" OOP. Sanaa's steak is actually fabulous for 1 TS, but I will always recommend the Slow Cooked in Gravy options (Butter Chicken is yummmmmmmm). The desserts at Jiko are better, so I'd actually ask if you could sub dessert at Sanaa for the bread service :-). This all being equal, I am planning to eat at both Sanaa and Jiko for my trip, but because it's just two of us, OOP is better. At Jiko I'm going for the filet with special ordre on top of Mac'n'cheese.

The desserts at Jiko are better, so I'd actually ask if you could sub dessert at Sanaa for the bread service

In almost all cases, guests have reported that you cannot substitute an appetizer for a dessert when using the DDP. There are a handful of items that are on both menus (I'm thinking of a few cheese plates that could be an appetizer or a dessert), but if an item is only on the appetizer menu, you probably won't be able to get it in lieu of a dessert on the DDP. You can still order it...you'll just have to pay OOP for it.

Jiko is one of my favorite restaurants in Disney World. Would you rather have a buffet?

Who would rather have a buffet? :rotfl:

We will be traveling with a five year old and had planned on going after our AK day?

I just don't know if it would be smarter to choose another option and have the extra credit to use somewhere else?

Hmmmm. My AK day is troubling me????

I have a 11:20am Tusker House too. Do you think we could spend all day in AK and then go straight to dinner?

I have a 11:20am Tusker House too. Do you think we could spend all day in AK and then go straight to dinner?

While you probably could go straight into Jiko from the parks, I'd guess you might feel a little uncomfortable. It's not a dress code issue so much as the dining room there is quite nice and I know I'd feel more comfortable with a shower first.

I love Jiko though ... very good menu, exceptional South African heavy wine list, superior level of service. Terrific restaurant. As noted above, that wild boar tenderloin alone makes the whole place sing.

Jiko is our only "must do" every single trip. It's one of the best experiences on property. I dont use DDP (we like wine, so Tables in Wonderland works better for us), so I can't evaluate what is worth 2 credits, but Id take a luxurious sit-down meal in a spacious, elegant restaurant over a crowded buffet any time.

Ive never been disappointed by Jiko in 10 visits, other than when I found out their Chermoula Chicken Tagine dish was no longer on the menu.

I don't know your 5-year old, but I would hesitate to take a child that young to a signature restaurant after a full day at a park. Most kids are very tired after a long park day, but your child may be able to behave fine even if he is tired. With that said, I prefer Jiko's to Boma. I used to love Boma, but we were very disappointed the last time we ate there. The salads, soups, and desserts still were outstanding, but the meats and veggies were not the same quality we had enjoyed on other visits. Service had slipped, too, but they may have been because the restaurant was extremely crowded. I probably would choose Sanaa after a day in the park with a young child. We are DVC owners at AKV, and we stay there about once a year. The food court has several African dishes if you just want to try the food, and it is fast, which gives you more time to enjoy the animals. There are several evening activities you may want to experience...story time at the fire pit, children may select a musical instrument and parade through the lobby while playing the instrument, and night vision goggles to view the animals after dark. Enjoy your visit there regardless of which restaurant you choose.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter