Jiko for 2 credits or Sanaa for 1 credit?

chocovrdmicears

DIS Veteran
Hubby and I are planning a date night.
Should we book Jiko or Sanaa? We are not picky eaters, love to try anything and everything...Is Jiko worth the 2 credits or should we try Sanaa? Any thoughts we be appreciated. :)

I don't do dining plan so my opinion is based on cash. I do not think Jiko is twice as good as Sanaa. Sanaa is the best 1 credit TS at WDW. I enjoy Jiko, will be dining there for my 8th time next month, but I don't feel its twice as good. To me, the best dishes at Jiko are the appetizers and soups.

Jiko is my favorite Disney restaurant, but when weighing options in terms of the dining plan, I would recommend Sanaa, which is also very good. I'm not sure the signature restaurants are a great use of dining credits. (This one of many reasons that we do not purchase the dining plan.)

I love both these restaurants. But Jiko is a very different experience from Sanaa. I think the atmosphere at Jiko could be characterized as more romantic than Sanaa, and it's more upscale. From a value/cost perspective alone, yes, IMO, Jiko is worth 2 credits. I always get the filet, which is the priciest entree. At Sanaa, I'll get the combo of slow cooked/well seasoned entrees, which is really less than half the cost of the filet at Jiko. What's that expression, your mileage may vary? If you would order the strip steak at Sanaa and the Chicken at Jiko, then it's not a good value. This is why I hate the dining plan...I feel compelled to get my money's worth. In all honesty though, with or without DDP, I'd order the filet at Jiko - I think it's just wonderful.

Take a look at the menus and get an idea of what you would order and then you can gauge which is a better value. But if were getting a rare date night (something I can't even remember - lol) I'd choose Jiko, hands down.

Sanaa is on the level of Apple Bees in terms of service/food. It's good, but nothing amazing. Jiko is like dining at your local finest steak house. Last time I visited Jiko, I think we were there about 2-2.5 hours after all was said and done. There were not any kids cry, nor servers trying to hurry us out. It was a relaxed, romantically lite, enjoying dining experience.

Jiko wins hands down.

Sanaa is on the level of Apple Bees in terms of service/food. It's good, but nothing amazing.

I really disagree with that. I found Sanaa, on three different visits, to be quite excellent and waaaaay better than an Applebee's/Chili's/Friday's kind of place. Sanaa is my favorite non-signature.

I love Jiko and Sanaa. It's hard to compare them since one is a signature and one is not. If the credits are really an issue, then go with Sanaa. Either place would be a wonderful choice. They're two of my favorite places in WDW.

I have always thought that Jiko was the most romantic restaurant in Disney. I love how the lighting subtly changes! Last time we went we were seated in the wine room. LOVED IT.

We are foodies and some of those flavors....wow! DF said it was possibly the nest filet we have ever had so we go there every trip!

I disagree, Sanaa is no where near the quality of Applebee's, chili's etc. I hate applebee's and LOVED Sanaa.

I am not a huge fan of Sanaa - the food was okay but the service was terrible on the night we went. Jiko on the other hand was amazing - DH and I have gone there for our "date night" and found it to be excellent.

Another one who disagree's with the Sanaa/Applebee's comparison. It's a really great place to experience some new, somewhat exotic flavors. I had to eat there 3 times this past July (mobility issues with my leg and was somewhat "housebound" and we were staying at Kidani.) I am a picky eater and I was so pleasantly surprised. Each time we went I got a little more adventurous and tried something new.

The noise level certainly was comparable to that of an Applebees/Chilis type place, but for me, that's where the comparison ends. IMO, Kona and Captain's Grille are like that too.

I also disagree that Sanaa is on the level of Applebee's. Sanaa is our new favorite and we always find the service and the food to be very good! FOr the price (or credits) I would definately choose Sanaa over Jiko....and I really like Jiko.:)

I disagree with the Applebees comparison too. I wish! If I could go to Applebees and relax in a nice lounge with naan bread service and drinks made by Kat, I'd do that every Friday night.

I agree with the poster that said the soups and appetizers are the best items at Jiko's. It is not IMHO worth 2 credits. Jiko's filet is good but it is a filet period...nothing different than you could have at any other nice steak place. The service has, in our experience been very hit or miss. The atmosphere is lovely, but the 4 meals we have had there have not been particularly memorable (not bad, just not really all that great)

We LOVE Sanaa.... it is our current favorite place at WDW. I have no idea why it would remind someone of Applebees. Be sure and try the bread course with a variety of condiments....your server will be able to make good recommendations. I love the atmosphere there....very interesting African art pieces, great Savannah views by day and great beaded lights by night. The slow cooked entrees are amazing, great tandoori and very interesting vegetarian options.

Jiko is a more romantic setting, but to use 2 credits for it is ridiculous! The food at Sanaa is very good and worth trying for the 1 credit! I am not a fan of Disney Dining Plans for this very reason... how can you value Jiko at 2 credits and Sanaa at only 1? I don't get it. None of the restaurants (in my opinion) are worth using 2 credits for!

I don't do dining plan so my opinion is based on cash. I do not think Jiko is twice as good as Sanaa. Sanaa is the best 1 credit TS at WDW. I enjoy Jiko, will be dining there for my 8th time next month, but I don't feel its twice as good. To me, the best dishes at Jiko are the appetizers and soups.

Thank you - I should have worded my question that way. We currently have Free Dining booked, but if I can get a better room rate, I am switching and not using the Dining Plan - either way DH and I are having our date night and it will be either Jiko on Sanaa...so I guess the correct way to ask the question is "Is Jiko twice as good as Sanaa?" :)

And thanks to all of you who have responded. I looked at the menus and I am not in love with anything at Sanaa...Jiko on the other hand has several things that I would love to try so I am leaning that way. :)

Well, I re-read everyones response and now I am wondering if Jiko is worth the extra expense...I will have to go back and look at the menu at Sanaa.

We did Wanyama Safari in June...loved it. We are going in February and using the DDP ...the first ADR I made was ...Jiko.
I am not a big drinker...however I loved the wine pairings.
You will love the filet...ask for the Mac n cheese with it.:thumbsup2

The Ambiance was perfect.

Just got home last night from DW and my DD and I were on the DLX DP and did 5 signature restaurants and the one we were both looking forward to the most and had the highest hopes for after reading everyones reviews on here was Jiko and we saved it for our last dinner and we were sooo disappointed. I even had the signature filet with the mac n cheese and it was okay - had a much better steak at Flying Fish. The atmosphere was amazing the service just okay.

We had lunch at Sanaa back in May and it was amazing. This was OOP since we weren't on a dining plan and it was so worth the money. Also had dinner at Sanaa with a large group back in 2009 and enjoyed it and that time had kids and a lot of fussy eaters with us and everyone enjoyed it - the only thing it was dark out and we couldn't enjoy the animals. At lunch in May we had a table window and the animals were amazing.

I feel bad that we wasted 4 credits on Jiko but happy we did experience it but it is not on our list of places we will revisit.

I wish you well in your choice and hope you have an excellent date night.

I think both are great. Seriously both are really good! I totally agree with u re: Sanaa! I would say to the OP if u want to save a credit just do Sanaa and call it a day. U won't make a wrong choice here.

jimi

Just got home last night from DW and my DD and I were on the DLX DP and did 5 signature restaurants and the one we were both looking forward to the most and had the highest hopes for after reading everyones reviews on here was Jiko and we saved it for our last dinner and we were sooo disappointed. I even had the signature filet with the mac n cheese and it was okay - had a much better steak at Flying Fish. The atmosphere was amazing the service just okay.

We had lunch at Sanaa back in May and it was amazing. This was OOP since we weren't on a dining plan and it was so worth the money. Also had dinner at Sanaa with a large group back in 2009 and enjoyed it and that time had kids and a lot of fussy eaters with us and everyone enjoyed it - the only thing it was dark out and we couldn't enjoy the animals. At lunch in May we had a table window and the animals were amazing.

I feel bad that we wasted 4 credits on Jiko but happy we did experience it but it is not on our list of places we will revisit.

I wish you well in your choice and hope you have an excellent date night.

Man, that sticks to hear. We love it there. It's hard to make a choice with the apps cause all are so good! I has the beef short ribs and they rocked! I love that place. Sanaa is crazy good too. U should give Jiko another try next trip. It's consistent. Don't give up on it! :)

jimi

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter