Jewlery/ Watch Shopping Eastern Cruise **WATCH OUT**

scottb8888

DVC: SSR, HHI & BVI
Well, we wne to the seminar of Shopping on the Fantasy. At St. Maarten my son bought a watch, we used the dkiscount coupon that the shopping guide saved us. And we saved 30%. Wow- great deal!!

NO... getting back to the good old USA. We could find the watch cheaper at many places. So we could have bought the watch at a bout 5% lower than the "shoppers special discount"

I can not beleive that Disney permits this. Very, very disappointed.

Umm.... not to be contrary, but I'm not sure Disney is "permitting" anything. While I will agree with you that maybe they shouldn't advertise/partner with a store that has this practice, Disney has absolutely NO control over what a private entrepreneurial enterprise charges or not charges in the confines of their business on foreign soil.

Just something to think about...

FWIW, this is one of the reasons I'm thinking about getting an international data plan for my iPhone when we cruise this fall.

Ah, but there is the issue. Disney has folks that are shoppers guides that travel on the cruise and not only promote this but pass out the special coupons. I'm sure Disney gets a cut!

I'm not sure if Disney own any, but many of the stores in/near ports are owned by cruise lines. ;)

It's my understanding that the "shopping guides" on board the ship aren't DCL employees, but garner their income from kickbacks from the jewelery/gift stores that they promote.

I'm not sure this qualifies under the "Port Shopping Buyer's Guarantee" that is listed on the back of the Port Shopping guide in the Navigators but perhaps you could call? The number listed is 1-888-774-4768. Email is listed as: Service@ppigroup.com I know it references 60 days and I have no experience with this or what it specifically covers but I do remember a friend of mine talking about this when she bought Tanzanite last year.

Heather

Well, we wne to the seminar of Shopping on the Fantasy. At St. Maarten my son bought a watch, we used the dkiscount coupon that the shopping guide saved us. And we saved 30%. Wow- great deal!!

NO... getting back to the good old USA. We could find the watch cheaper at many places. So we could have bought the watch at a bout 5% lower than the "shoppers special discount"

DCL has no control over the prices set by shop owners. They can control if they include that shop in their guides, so you need to make sure you let them know, not because you expect them to fix it, but because they should remove that shop from the guide if it's not considered a good deal any more. If you aren't willing to notify them of an issue, you can't be upset with them.

Oh I am willing. I'll start with the survey from the cruise. Not sure if they send one after the cruise. I did get a small one on the ship.

Always be careful only pick up the cheap free gifts from the stores only buy souvenirs to take anything of value you can always buy in the good old USA Don't be felled

Ah, but there is the issue. Disney has folks that are shoppers guides that travel on the cruise and not only promote this but pass out the special coupons. I'm sure Disney gets a cut!

so what....did Disney force you to buy this??? did they guarantee you would never be able to find the watch or any jewelry purchased at a lower rate??

I'm sure Disney gets a slice of the pie on excursions you purchase through DCL- but if you research a little you'll be able to find them cheaper...granted if something goes wrong its not Disney's fault...

blaming DCL because you paid 5% more for a watch in St Maarten which was slightly cheaper at home is wrong in my opinion....

I believe the only thing good about shopping at the ports is that most are tax free. The Bahamas was tax free but I saw a David Yurman bracelet that was the same price in the states. I'm not sure if St. marten is tax free but if it's the same as the Bahamas you will basically pay the same price as items in the states just with no tax.

I am a fairly strong watch collector and attended the watch seminar for a few laughs on the Fantasy. I almost felt awful about the bad information provided to my fellow passengers. Bottom line, very rarely will you get a great deal on watches unless you know specifically what you are doing. For example, I went to the authorized dealer for Patek on our cruise and was able to negotiate a good price on a nice watch. However, you need to know US discounted prices to have a shot at success.

DWf

This is precisely why we have never shopped for any jewelry or the like in port. If I am going to spend that much money I want to be able to be assured that the value is ensured and I can have it maintained.

So funny this came up as DH and I were just talking about this. DH and his buddy/business partner have a diamond mining business: small, green, and conflict free. After knowing what I now know, there is no way I'd buy any sort of jewelry or gem unless I knew where it came from. When I saw the shopping guide on the cruise she reminded me of a QVC host- not necessarily educated but possibly a decent sales person with a nice face. Plus the mark up is insane. :scared:

Buyer beware.

Well, we wne to the seminar of Shopping on the Fantasy. At St. Maarten my son bought a watch, we used the dkiscount coupon that the shopping guide saved us. And we saved 30%. Wow- great deal!! NO... getting back to the good old USA. We could find the watch cheaper at many places. So we could have bought the watch at a bout 5% lower than the "shoppers special discount" I can not beleive that Disney permits this. Very, very disappointed.

It's very important to do research before buying things like watches while on a cruise. Prices are so easily looked up ahead of time. Check local shops, look on amazon, look on google, etc. easy easy.

DH talked about watches before our eastern rccl cruise so I did some research and so did he. Onboard he found a decent watch in a brand he likes for a decent price. Never thought he got a deal because he knew the value of it, but he wasn't ripped off and has a memory along with the watch. Now, the invictas later on..... After 5 nights of seeing the huge, not our style, watches, we saw small ones we liked. Price seemed ok and DH really wanted to get them. Turns out his is a woman's watch, that was the only way to get one with faces small enough to match our style (and his watch's face isn't tiny...invicta makes some BIG watches). And it turns out that mine was a bit over what I could have gotten it for on amazon while his was under, so it turned out ok.

But it certainly wasn't the cruise line's responsibility that we didn't know that if you pay full price for an Invicta you are very very unaware of their pricing structure, so when you see 75% off sales you are finally getting down into the realm of the price you should be paying. (We kind of had a feeling, since DH knows watches, and I noticed they were on perms-sale which generally means that's the normal price, but we hadn't priced out Invicta so we didn't KNOW)

And DH does remind me that with WA's nearly 10% sales tax when buying directly from amazon, we did save a little more by buying it on the ship vs at home.

I would not consider buying jewelry or a watch without some serious research ahead of time, anywhere. The "recommended" stores are a joke and the onboard prices are full retail. The only potential savings is tax/duty and if you spend more than your limit the customs agent will be collecting your overage (in cash or check only).

Same goes for duty free liquor. This depends more on how much the state controls the sale of alcohol where you live, but the prices are hardly a "deal" for my Florida-dwelling self. There have been few exceptions. I always bring the most recent catalog from the liquor store with printed prices for comparison.

When talking about quality automatic watches, 2-3 k and up, do not compare prices from an authorized dealer in the islands with an international warranty, to what you found on the internet. You would be crazy to purchase a good watch on line! Tons of fakes and grey market products.
You can get great deals on the islands if you know what you want and have priced them from a quality shop, not the internet.
As for paying taxes, only the ship has to claim sales in their manifest, anything purchased on an island was really brought from home..
As for the on board sales reps, independent, and the shops that advertise on the ship pay about 10% kickback to ship and company. Guess what, you pay that 10% or a part of it. This is not always the case. I got a great deal on a Ball watch in Jamaica from a store who was part of the shopping guide recommendation . Saved about $700 from busing in US, and the piece was a limited edition. Know what you want, and the price, and good deals can be had

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter