JetBlue carry on

kmchisholm

DIS Veteran
I'm probably being paranoid but thought I'd take a shot and ask. Flying JetBlue Tuesday to MCO and was planning to use my normal hard carry on that fits on all American flights (if I don't overpack). Checked the JetBlue website for their measurement allowance and noticed it was a little big. But then compared JetBlue's allowance to American's and noticed they were the same. Basically, if a bag (not stuffed of course) qualifies as an American carry on, should I assume it will work for JetBlue too?

Thanks , maybe I should be a little more clear. What I'm saying is the measurements on each of the airlines websites match and was wondering if someone had experience flying with the same bag on American and JetBlue.ie - American has never given me an issue as it fits in the test area. Was just looking for advice.

Last edited:
If the measurements of your bag are larger than the allowed carry on size, you are subject to having your bag collected and gate checked. I can't say what the chances are of this happening on JetBlue.

Thanks - I re measured and actually think I'm good. It was more I was never aware of the measurements, just used this bag as a carry-on all the time. It's always fit other airlines so think I'm good.

The only time I've had an issue on JB is when it was a smaller plane. Then my regular carry on bag didn't fit wheels in. It had to go sideways. But, it wasn't an issue.

Are you measuring the whole bag, or just the hackable section? If AA and jetBlue have the same measurement restrictions, and your bag exceeds those measurements, not having had an issue on AA doesn't necessarily mean it will get on jetBlue. Doesn't mean it won't. Doesn't mean you will always get it on AA either. It's probably best to use a bag that fits within the measurements.

If you're only a little above the cutoff, you should be okay, but as others have said you can always be subject to being gate checked (and may be charged for it). My carry on is a little too big when you also measure the wheels but I've never had to gate check because of its size.

Last edited:
I was doing this same thing, I wanted to do carry on only (this was a solo trip and I thought it would just be that much easier). I measured the two smallest bags of my set and was trying to figure out whether to use the tiny one of the next one up. I really wanted to use the next one up and it seemed like it met the measurements but then I checked again and realized the measurements needed to include the wheels so then I got even more nervous. I ended up going with the smaller bag which was definitely within the measurements..............well except getting the bag out when I returned home. A nice gentleman offered to take my bag down for me and he had a bit of a struggle pulling it down because it was stuffed to the max :o. I didn't have trouble putting in so never thought it would be an issue taking it down. Anyway, I am glad I went with the smaller one because I didn't really want to pay to check nor deal with retrieving the checked bag if in the end it was too big. I was such a nervous nelly about the whole bag situation that I selected a seat towards the back of the plane just so I would be sure to get the over head space (usually when I fly I use no overhead space, just have a personal item under the seat but again, since this was a solo trip I was trying to make it as simple as possible). All of those worries were for nothing on my flight (small plane, 2 seats each side), there were completely empty overhead bins.

Just an update in case others are looking for answer - bag fit just fine. It's a Samsonite carry-on roller bag (not and the gate attendant just looked and said it was fine. It fit sideways in the overhead bin, I just made sure not to overstuff. Honestly I wasn't going to have an issue if they took it and gate checked it, I just hate paying bag fees!

Finding out that JetBlue seats back to front I was a little concerned they wouldn't have room since I was in 3. Since I was traveling alone I stopped by the desk before we started boarding and asked if I could move to the extra more space seat and they moved and waived the fee. I'm not saying it will happen every time, but doesn't hurt to ask.

Just keep in mind that the 'official' rule is that bags must fit into the overhead bins wheels first, handle to the outside. So sideways isn't always going to be an option. If there are a lot of people with carry on bags, and they put their bags in sideways, a lot of others won't be able to put their bags up there!! A sideways bag takes at least a third more space than a wheels in bag.
You got lucky having that fee waived! I've never had that happen.

To be sure you can always go to the airport with your bag and test it in the bag measurement box to see if it fits.

I'm so glad the bag fit! My message comes a bit late then, but just to add my two cents: I really only fly Jet Blue so I can only speak for them, but I've noticed a big difference in the last year or two when it comes to what they allow on the plane. Previously, they never had me put my carry on in the "Does Your Bag Fit?" Now, they seem to have really cracked down...if it is a little too big they have you check it at the gate. I think it also depends on how full the flight is. If it is completely full, they are more strict.

Just an update in case others are looking for answer - bag fit just fine. It's a Samsonite carry-on roller bag (not and the gate attendant just looked and said it was fine. It fit sideways in the overhead bin, I just made sure not to overstuff. Honestly I wasn't going to have an issue if they took it and gate checked it, I just hate paying bag fees!

Finding out that JetBlue seats back to front I was a little concerned they wouldn't have room since I was in 3. Since I was traveling alone I stopped by the desk before we started boarding and asked if I could move to the extra more space seat and they moved and waived the fee. I'm not saying it will happen every time, but doesn't hurt to ask.

You got super lucky. Was just on 2 fully booked Jetblue flights and they gate checked every bag that didn't fit and if it had to go in sideways they removed it and gate checked it. So just know that is a possibilty.

I'm so glad the bag fit! My message comes a bit late then, but just to add my two cents: I really only fly Jet Blue so I can only speak for them, but I've noticed a big difference in the last year or two when it comes to what they allow on the plane. Previously, they never had me put my carry on in the "Does Your Bag Fit?" Now, they seem to have really cracked down...if it is a little too big they have you check it at the gate. I think it also depends on how full the flight is. If it is completely full, they are more strict.

This has been our experience. Completely booked = much more strict.

We've also had a bag that fits properly in every single airplane we have been on except the small commuter flights get flagged. We have had it checked once and it barely didn't fit. We asked if we could just try at the flight and if it didn't fit properly we would gate check and pay for the baggage fee. Got to the flight and even though they were checking there as well the flight attendants did not even bat an eye at it. The bag is sold as a carry on that fits in all aircraft guidelines. I have a feeling jetblue's checker are smaller then the actual measurements.

I get the small Embraer plane a lot and never once been told I had to check the suitcase that only fits in sideways. I book row 22 so there is always room. But I guess it is up to the gate crew/flight attendants on any particular flight. When they have offered to gate check, they didn't charge for it.

The bag is within Jet Blue guidelines, it just won't fit wheels out (or wheels in) on the smaller planes.

@MakiraMarlena it does seem to be down to crew as well. I had one crew from PR remove my backpack and toss it on the floor because I was "taking someone else's overhead space" I said I already have a bag at my feet and the backpack was with in the size of the second carry on so I was not taking someone else's space and if my laptop was broken he would be paying for it. So it does seem it is a crew decision on how strict they'll be.

The crew that use to fly between Houston and NYC on the Embraer planes never cared one bit because the flights were usually half empty.

I agree - it's all about crew from the gate to airplane staff. One guy got on with a super huge bag and the on board staff was like oh well, it doesn't fit (it should have never gotten on that plane). Today was all about luck - now to enjoy Disney and not worry about the flight home.

Have never had a problem and wouldn't worry as long as it fits overhead or under the seat. I always have one that goes overhead and one under the seat.

Just keep in mind that the 'official' rule is that bags must fit into the overhead bins wheels first, handle to the outside. So sideways isn't always going to be an option. If there are a lot of people with carry on bags, and they put their bags in sideways, a lot of others won't be able to put their bags up there!! A sideways bag takes at least a third more space than a wheels in bag.
You got lucky having that fee waived! I've never had that happen.

I agree, we fly Jetblue all the time and just a month ago the flight attendants announced while on the plane if anyone wants to move to the leg room seats, just let them know -- then they said, the fee is $50 per seat. LOL. It's normally $35 if you buy in advance, never knew it was $50 once onboard. I have seen them comp the upgrade to folks with mobility issues if space is available. We were comped once into legroom seats when asked to give up our two seats so a family could sit together. Folks carrying on should always check to see what type of aircraft they are on. Not all have big luggage areas like the airbus ones do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter