Jessa Duggar (of the Duggar Family) is courting

Define "care". I see it as a discussion and expressing of opinions. You know, like on a 'discussion' board. Do others' opinions about how the Duggars raise their children impact your life? :confused3

Care would equal judging others in the context of my post. I just thought asking why people cared was a nicer way of saying, why the judging?
Other's opinions have zero impact on my life.:thumbsup2

:rolleyes:I didn't say I didn't see "any difference," I said to me it doesn't seem that different. Historically and traditionally, it has been very common for fathers to be involved in the whole process of marrying off their daughters. Degree is simply a matter of opinion. Obviously everyone's mileage is going to vary on what they think is appropriate.

:rolleyes: I used the word "any different" and you used the word "that different."

I think there is THAT big of a difference in a father controlling everything about his daughter's dating life and a father who "gives away" the bride. Degree is always a matter of opinion. Message boards are generally set up to discuss those opinions.

Care would equal judging others in the context of my post. I just thought asking why people cared was a nicer way of saying, why the judging?
Other's opinions have zero impact on my life.:thumbsup2
You can use any words you want...it's a discussion board. Oddly enough, people are discussing.

They aren't married because they are needed to raise the little ones still at home. I am sure once the little ones are older the pressure to marry will begin in earnest. Their "training" happens under very controlled circumstances with only like minded people or strict supervision. The parent's goal is to have them exposed to as little outside infulence as possible and that the girls never work outside the home. They have siad so on numerous occasions. Josh does have abusiness, but oly AFTER they felt sure he was firmly entrenched in thier belief system. I honestly believe this is a cult situation and these kids don't have choices. YMMV. I don't think any of them will ever be accepted if they rebel. I don't think any of them are brave enough to do so either.

I have major porblems with many of thier child rearing techniques as well. The one with the most info out there is blanket training. They use switches on infants as young as 6 months so that they can keep them on a blanket on the floor while they teach the other kids. If the baby leaves the blaket it is hit with the switch. Michelle will not admit to doing it now,but when the first of the TV special aired, she did an interview advocating it.
Seriously? Are you going to sit back and nit pick at everything a family does differently than yours? I'm sure they could do the same to yours (especially as a "cheer mom").

Their kids are hard working, dependable, have integrity, and are bright. Isn't that what we ALL want for our kids? I'm sure it is. The choices that they make are the best for their family. Obviously they choose to put their lives on display by being on TV. I bet if you did the same, people would find may things to criticize you about.

I'd rather have this world be FILLED with Duggars versus entitled, snotty, whiny, and bratty kids. Unfortunately I see the latter all too often.

I guess I just don't see the issue. :confused3

Seriously? Are you going to sit back and nit pick at everything a family does differently than yours? I'm sure they could do the same to yours (especially as a "cheer mom").

Their kids are hard working, dependable, have integrity, and are bright. Isn't that what we ALL want for our kids? I'm sure it is. The choices that they make are the best for their family. Obviously they choose to put their lives on display by being on TV. I bet if you did the same, people would find may things to criticize you about.

I'd rather have this world be FILLED with Duggars versus entitled, snotty, whiny, and bratty kids. Unfortunately I see the latter all too often.

I guess I just don't see the issue. :confused3
I agree with you except that I also want DS to be independent and have a mind of his own. I would add that to your list.

However, I have no problem with how the Duggars choose to live. I would imagine that the kids know fully well that others live differently and yet they choose to keep this lifestyle. They don't have to. I wouldn't live like this for anything but if they're happy, more power to them.

Love when Duggar posts show up on these boards. You know, how so many like to put down their way of life. All kids are good looking, smart, some starting lives of their own etc. Yeah, real bad group you got there.

I also love how these threads are allowed to go on. Let's see how far any thread goes on here that bashes gay marriage as hard as some of the threads against the Duggars lifestyle choices have been. (Do that and you'll be labeled a bigot, racist, etc. etc.)

The Duggars are obviously permanently damaging their children, brain washing them, etc. etc. Couldn't possibly say that about any of the "alternative" lifestyles that run so rampant in this country any more.

If they are smart is to be determined. We all know they aren't getting a 'real' education like other kids do. They are about as 'smart' as their parents want them to be in my opinion

If they are smart is to be determined. We all know they aren't getting a 'real' education like other kids do. They are about as 'smart' as their parents want them to be in my opinion

The Duggar parents can control their kid's IQs? Hmm, I need to find out how that's done.

Jessa and all are the Duggar girls have grown up to be really beautiful inside and out. I don't think that they've been brainwashed.... maybe when they were children, they didn't really understand the outside world, but by now, they've had so much experience with it. This is a lifestyle that they choose. I think that Jessa's request to court is out of respect for her family.

I've always wished for higher education for the Duggar girls. I'm watching the episode now when they explain how Jill is studying to be a midwife and Jana a doula. The oldest Bates' oldest daughter went/is going to a college. I wish for happy futures for all of them.

I also love how these threads are allowed to go on. Let's see how far any thread goes on here that bashes gay marriage as hard as some of the threads against the Duggars lifestyle choices have been. (Do that and you'll be labeled a bigot, racist, etc. etc.)

No, just no. Someone's sexuality or race is not a lifestyle choice. The Duggars have cameras filming their every move; those who criticize them are doing so based on their personalities, their parenting methods, their education, or pretty much anything else that they present to the public. Judging someone based on who they are instead of some aspect they cannot control is pretty much the exact opposite of discrimination. These threads are 'allowed to continue' because they're reality TV stars, nothing more.

BlovesC said:
No, just no. Someone's sexuality or race is not a lifestyle choice. The Duggars have cameras filming their every move; those who criticize them are doing so based on their personalities, their parenting methods, their education, or pretty much anything else that they present to the public. Judging someone based on who they are instead of some aspect they cannot control is pretty much the exact opposite of discrimination. These threads are 'allowed to continue' because they're reality TV stars, nothing more.

I thought it was wrong to judge anybody according to the holier than thou on these boards, or is alright to judge as long as they are a conservative christian family.

I thought it was wrong to judge anybody according to the holier than thou on these boards, or is alright to judge as long as they are a conservative christian family.

Anyone who tells you they never judge others is basically selling you a bridge.

There have been dozens of threads on this board about reality stars. You're welcome to pop into threads on the Kardashians, or the Honey Boo Boo clan, or the Bachelor contestants (or ANY celebrity really). I assure you, most people in those threads are judging the reality stars who agree to share their lives with the world. If that surprises you, well, welcome to the internet. The Duggars aren't special, you're just taking offense because you like them and others don't.

Same thing. Judging is judging. These threads are allowed to continue because for some odd reason, they do not offend the majority of the DIS boards readers, or the owners. Those who ARE judging them are basing it on what they see on TV and read in questionable new sources. Either way. Why does it matter so much? I applaud their choice of morals, lifestyle and most everything else. I truly don't judge anyone. To each his own. Really, but don't tell me judging someone like the Duggars is any different than judging a lifestyle choice made by anyone, on any side of any issue.\

And now you will tell me again that judging someone's sexuality is not a choice? Race, of course not, that's plain silly, and poor wording on my part, however, it still stands that if someone starts a thread talking\judging someone on race, sexuality or anything that you happen to consider NOT a choice, it's NOT OK, but judging someone like the Duggards for the lifestyle they choose IS OK? Right, yeah, thought so.

Boards are loaded far too many hypocrites and those that seem to thrive on putting others down for cetain "choices". Nice, real nice for supposed Disney oriented family set of message boards.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter