Jess & Pete Wishes - 6/22/2013 WP/GF/Marina Fireworks!!

JP2013

Earning My Ears
Hello Disbrides, Grooms, & Readers!!

I am new to the disboards, but have been reading about everyone's lovely plans. My goodness there have been some wonderful weddings and beautiful brides! I have spent more time recently reading everyone's gorgeous weddings than planning my own, putting me a bit behind on planning -- but I admit I love reading everyone's threads!

A little about us:
My DF (Pete) is originally from Syracuse, NY and now lives in our beautiful house in Orlando, FL. Until this year, he had never been out of the country, which is quite ironic considering I've spent most of my life overseas. I (my name is Jess) am originally from the Republic of Panama, but have also lived in Germany and China for a couple of years. Currently, I am in NJ getting my masters.

JP1.jpg

Boardwalk Disney World, Christmas 2011

PJ2.jpg

New York City, Thanksgiving 2011

Where we met:
Pete & I first met on a pirate ship a little over a year ago celebrating my future sister-in-law's birthday (think of Gilligan's Island meets Captain Jack Sparrow -- it was awesome!) pirate: But, let me back up a few steps. My family had planned a week vacation to Disney earlier last year to celebrate my sister Linda, my, and my future sis Katie's birthday. We're huge Disney fans and any excuse to come to Disney, we're usually all in. I felt kinda bad because my eldest brother (the one marrying Katie) wasn't going to be there because he was at sea still, so I thought I would be a good stand in for my brother. lol She wanted to celebrate her birthday on a pirate ship. He too was one of Katie's friends that was invited, but we didn't officially meet and talk until on the pirate ship! Such a great night and the rest was history

Where DF Proposed:
On our first date, Pete and I went hiking in the beautiful Rocky Mountains in Colorado. (Let me just say, our frequent flyer miles are awesome with how much we travel to see each other) It was such an amazing weekend! So, having said that. We planned to return to Colorado for Easter -- since my amazing Aunt & fam throw the most awesome Easter Egg hunt. Instead of candy, there's money and it's seriously such a blast. This year, my brother Rocky (real name Patrick) and his beautiful wife E-Kat (she's Russian and I love her to pieces) just returned from Israel fly up. My sister Linda and her family flew down from Kansas, not to mention my parents from Panama flew up too for it. Yes, it's that epic. :)

Familypic.jpg
[/IMG]
Here's a pic of the family! I'm so lucky to have them :) And yes, we're that family that wears matching t-shirts for big events hahahaha.. :rotfl:

So anyways, Pete asked me to change my flight to an earlier flight so we could go hiking. I had packed the weekend with so many fun activities that we really didn't have any time to go hiking. I had made reservations for Canvas & Cocktails in Denver with a few of my besties. Luckily, I'm a sucker for hiking and took the 6AM flight out of Newark to get to Denver in time for hiking. It was a gorgeous day and I was so happy to be with my man and in one of the most beautiful parts of the world. Once we got to the top, he asked me what flavor I would prefer, strawberry or cherry. Granted, I love both flavors. So, I said cherry, because they should be closer in season. He pulled out a ring pop and asked me to marry him. I was like: "aww.. of course, babe" thinking nothing of it. I was so happy about my ring pop that I really didn't see him get up and pull out a BEAUTIFUL Tacori ring!! It was such a perfect moment and day! I was able to tell my friends in person that night! He planned it SO well, it was one of the best weekends of my life. :love:

PJ4.jpg

At Canvas & Cocktails in Denver, April 2012

Disney Plans:
Presently, my fiance Pete and I will hopefully be getting married on June 22, 2013 at the WP followed by an evening reception at the GF -- we're less than 5 days from Disney doing the lottery, so I pray luck is on our side!! :cheer2: Our guest list is going to be roughly about 200 people, which we found really limited our choices on where to have it. Both DF & I have huge families and it just wouldn't be possible to have it smaller. I'm hoping for 150-160 people, but it'll be a great party surrounded by really cool people.

Other than the date and place, haven't really gotten all that far along the planning process. We're doing a vintage theme, which is going to look really nice in the ballroom of the GF. I am so fortunate to have my aunt who's a florist who's going to be doing our flowers. I'm so excited! She's also been a huge help in researching and putting together the table decorations. To have a little of a Panamanian flare to the event, we're planning on getting Panamanian lace for the overlays, which I think would be really pretty.

I'm really excited about the colors of the wedding. We've chosen the best of both worlds: my favorite color being green and Pete's being silver. Combined, we're doing two different shades of green, silver/platinum, and touches of lilac for color. So excited!

That's about all I have for tonight! Keep you all posted!

PJ3.jpg

Congrats and Welcome! :wave2:
Love your story and all the places you've been! Your plans sound great, good luck with the lottery in a few days, I hope you get the locations and date you want!! :goodvibes Keep us posted! popcorn::

Love your story, especially the engagement and like you said, I love your wedding date :) Can't wait to hear about the plans.

Congrats and welcome!

I just have to ask-- where in NJ are you studying? I grew up there!

All of your plans so far sound amazing!

Welcome!

We live in Orlando, but DH's family all lives in Denver! They always try to convince us to move there, but no way! I don't do cold! You wedding plans sound great so far--on a great date (my parents' anniversary!) We had our ceremony at the WP and an evening reception at the GF. It was so much fun! We had a larger sized wedding (although not compared to yours! We invited 165 and 95 came). And your colors sound pretty!

Can't wait to read more!

Congrats and Welcome! :wave2:
Love your story and all the places you've been! Your plans sound great, good luck with the lottery in a few days, I hope you get the locations and date you want!! :goodvibes Keep us posted! popcorn::

Thank you so much! I LOVED your wedding, congrats again!! I really hope that Pete's and my event turns out as pretty as yours!! Question: Where did you get your bridesmaid's robes? AWESOME idea!! I may have to borrow that one from you!

Love your story, especially the engagement and like you said, I love your wedding date :) Can't wait to hear about the plans.

Aww.. thanks!! You're getting married this week! SO excited for you and your family!! Safe travels and can't wait to hear all about it! Woot Woot!

Congrats and welcome!

I just have to ask-- where in NJ are you studying? I grew up there!

All of your plans so far sound amazing!

Thank you!! I am also really enjoying your PJ!! Your engagement photos are SO pretty! Did Disney take them?? We're still in the process of deciding a photographer, EEK!! Can't decide! But to answer your question, I'm getting my master at Rutgers, so I'm living in New Brunswick at the moment (personally, not a fan of this place ). Having said that, the people are SO sweet and I've made some really great friends! Plus, living SO close to NYC is amazing! Love, love, love!

Congratulations Jess and Welcome!! :goodvibes
Yay, I found your PJ! I'm so excited about your vintage theme, and love your colors! It sounds absolutely spectacular, and am so excited to see what plans you come up with!!

Welcome!

We live in Orlando, but DH's family all lives in Denver! They always try to convince us to move there, but no way! I don't do cold! You wedding plans sound great so far--on a great date (my parents' anniversary!) We had our ceremony at the WP and an evening reception at the GF. It was so much fun! We had a larger sized wedding (although not compared to yours! We invited 165 and 95 came). And your colors sound pretty!

Can't wait to read more!

Thank you so much!! And don't you just LOVE Denver!! I'm a huge hiker, and truly love the summers there. But, you are right.. the cold sucks. I seriously can't wait to start planning, although I really feel I'm decades behind everyone else.. :confused3 Eek! Any advice is MUCH appreciated!!

Congratulations Jess and Welcome!! :goodvibes
Yay, I found your PJ! I'm so excited about your vintage theme, and love your colors! It sounds absolutely spectacular, and am so excited to see what plans you come up with!!

Aww, thanks!! I'm really looking forward to it, I just really hope it all comes together.. We have SO much to plan, but it's so exciting! All advice, opinions, etc are welcomed!! :cheer2:

Hello Disbrides! I finally have a moment to update our plans and progress. But first, I need to do a little catch up on what we’ve already planned. Naturally, with decision & lottery day just 2 DAYS away (can I hear a WOOT WOOT!) – deciding whether or not Pete and I will be married on June 22nd – we’ve already had our site tour. For future disBrides who are currently looking at locations, Diane is such a sweetie! She’s a little slow to reach by e-mail, but wonderful on the phone. It’s no wonder because she spends most of her time at Francks and not next to a computer. Absolutely lovely person, highly recommended!

Anyways, we did our site tour on May 18th! It was SO much fun. Sadly, my DF had to work (he was not the happiest of campers, let me tell you). So my it was just me, my mom, and my sister-in-law Kat. I’ve always dreamed about going to Francks when I was younger. Like most disBrides, I was a huge fan of “Father of the Bride,” especially since my father was always a role model and someone who I have a wonderful relationship with – love him to pieces! And the experience was so special.

We had made the earlier appointment at 9:00am so that we could wander around if we still had any questions. Forgive me, my sister-in-law Kat took a million great photos of the spaces and day, so forgive all the pictures!

The first place we went was the Wedding Pavilion. There was someone getting ready to get married when we walked in (Awwww)!!! So, if there’s a disBride out there who go married in the morning on May 18th, Congrats!! Below are the pictures from the wedding pavilion & Francks:

DSC_0312.jpg
My future sister-in-law Katie got this for Pete & I :goodvibes

DSC_0248.jpg
Inside the WP!

DSC_0270.jpg
Lol.. My type of picture :rolleyes1

Then, we walked over to the Grand Floridian where we took a look inside some of their ballroom spaces. Note: I used to be 100% against a ballroom, especially at Disney World. I would have loved to do something outside, but then thought better of it because of the weather and heat. Pete & I want our guests to enjoy the day with us, not get rained on or drenched in sweat from the humidity! So, ballrooms were our only answer (because of the size of our expected party). The GF ballrooms are GORGEOUS and fit our vintage theme PERFECTLY!! The carpet is a little.. um, much… but oh well. If that’s our only complaint, that ok! We also looked at the cocktail space being outside, on one of the terraces. I forgot the room name, but it’s the room that spits out into a beautiful terrace. I also loved that room.

DSC_0324.jpg
The Cocktail area with Terrace

GF.jpg
Inside the GF Ballroom

Being at Disney World, we had to consider having fireworks!! So, instead of having dessert inside, we’re going to have it outside near the marina. I’m a Huge sucker for Wishes, so it should be hopefully a good time.
DSC_0431.jpg
The Marina for Wishes!

The next option we went to was the Boardwalk. The ballrooms were really pretty, but our guests wouldn’t be able to have the luxury of going outside for cocktail hour OR have the fireworks, so we nixed that idea. But still, rather gorgeous. For diBrides considering the Boardwalk ballrooms, here are a few pictures. Again, Kat took a ton, so if anyone wants so pictures, let me know!
DSC_0362.jpg
Lobby Area

DSC_0359.jpg
Inside the boardwalk ballroom

So, we decided on the following timeline:
Date: June 22nd, 2013
Ceremony: Wedding Pavilion
Cocktail Hour & Reception: Grand Floridian
Dessert Party: Marina (Wishes)
People: roughly 200

After we left Diane, we went to grab lunch. Below are some pictures that we took during the planning session. SORRY in advance for all the pictures! I LOVE taking pictures. One of my hobbies is scrapbooking, so apologies in advance!

KatI.jpg
My sister-in-law Kat and me!

DSC_0401.jpg
Planning Session!!

DSC_0420.jpg
Can't really believe I'm a disBride!

DSC_0443.jpg
Diane, me, & my wonderful mom at the Grand Floridan!

DSC_0448.jpg
Kat got the funniest picture of my mom looking at the costs and BEOs. Poor mom.

That was our planning session!! We had such a good time. DF was able to meet up with us in Downtown Disney to debrief a little later, so we were able to get a snack with him and go through all the details. My mom and Kat took our car and I rode with Pete back to the GF to show him some of the highlights from what we were shown earlier in the day. We still have some logistics issues to work through.

Let me ask you guys: So currently, our guests are going to have to leave the reception and walk down to the Marina to watch Wishes and eat dessert. It's a little bit of a walk, but the view is so much better. The alternative is having the dessert party back where we had the cocktail hour. I personally, would rather have it by the Marina, but DF really doesn't see how people are going to go all the way down there, watch the Wishes and then stroll back to the reception. He thinks people are going to go to bed/home after the fireworks. Thoughts? I really don't want people leaving, especially when there's 1.5 hours left of the reception left.. EEK!

Joining in!! Loved you engagement story!

I had Diane for my planning coordinator or whatever her title is for that part of the process. She was so amazing and super sweet! I must have called her and had her change things a ridiculous amount of times and she was always right on top of it! Cant say enough good things about her!

I hope you get your dates tomorrow! I remember counting down the hours till I found out.. Diane was really great about it though.. as soon as she hears, you will hear!!

All of your plans sound great, I really wanted the Grand Floridian for my wedding, but a week before my date a convention took up ALL the ballrooms at ALL the disney hotels. Talk about bad luck! However, Im really happy things worked out the way they did because Im very happy with my planning so far!

Good luck again!!!

Another 2013 bride joining in! Such a cute engagement story! Looks like you had an awesome planning trip, and I totally love seeing all the photos! My DF and I are hoping to get July 22, 2013 (exactly one month after your wedding) and waiting to find out if there's going to be a lottery, if we'll get our locations, is just excruciating! Best of luck for you tomorrow! And looking forward to reading more!

Hey there and welcome. I have been getting ready for my wedding so I have not been on the dis lately. I am going to be following along. I hope that you get your date and the locations that you want. Your engagement story is so cute and I can't wait to hear more about your day.

Teresa

One year today!!! :dance3: I hope you got your date and all your first choice locations!! Your plans sound great!! I know you're going with the GF, but just an FYI for other brides, there is a cocktail room with outdoor patio attached at the Boardwalk too! (St. James Hall & Patio) and GF is Whitehall Room & Patio :) St James was our back-up/rain location for cocktail hour at SBP :goodvibes

I got my girls' robes on Etsy!
http://www.etsy.com/listing/90092195/8-eight-bridesmaids-monogrammed-robes

the seller was awesome at getting back to me and working with me (I requested they be mailed a certain date because we were mailing to family friends out of town etc) She didnt think any of my requests were crazy and they were perfect when I got to see them!

Hoping for a great update soon!! :woohoo:

hey :wave2:
I wanted to drop by and let you know that I'm subbing to your PJ! Did you get your date? Looking forward to more updates popcorn::

Hello and Welcome! Love what I've seen and I will continue to read you PJ! Also, I am originally from Colorado, and I have been to Canvas and Cocktails in Denver, so I was very excited to see that, congrats!

The monogrammed robes will make a great present. Etsy has some really good finds :)

I cant wait to follow your plans! Im planning a large wedding in March. We started off at 200, but ended at 217 by the time the save the dates went out. We are in the WP/Whitehall room/ GF ballroom too.

Hopefully you got your date. I know I was stressing about that.

Your plans sound great so far.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter