Jersey Week-Never Again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by HugsForEeyore
Thanks for the reply, Disney_1derland! - I certainly admit there are plenty of rude Jerseyans out there, sorry you met some of them. Sorry, not just you - just some posters seem very comfortable bashing New Jersey, blaming them for every last thing. There are at least three or four threads going now. Being from Jersey, you get used to being teased and put down because of your state (most here would say it's well deserved), and here in cyberspace it's no different. :(

Obviously, it can get a "good" Jerseyan down in the dumps. :( :( :(

:hug: I'm originally from Southern CA, you can probably imagine what kind of torture the good people of Tennessee can dish out to an import like myself. I know the feeling.

I really have a problem with these posts. First of all, I also would not go down again during New Jersey Week but not because of the people...because of the crowds. And I know alot of the crowds were NOT from New Jersey. There were alot of people from Great Britain and I saw many many people with shirts advertising they were from other states.

Second of all, that seems like an awful elaborate scheme just to be able to jump a line. After all, there is FP. Jerseyians may be "rude" but their not stupid.

Third of all, the only people who even know it's "Jersey Week" or call it that are people who read the Disboards. No one else from NJ has a clue that its called "Jersey Week."

Fourth of all, I experienced two line jumping incidents myself, not such elaborate productions, but line jumping all the same. It was for Mickey's Philharmagic. The line wasn't that long so I wasn't all that pissed but thought it was extremely rude. The point is, I have no idea where these people were from and frankly, I could care less. Its a non-issue. They were rude people who jumped the line. Period.

Where people are from have no bearing on their actions. Its how they were raised and there are rude people EVERYWHERE. And if I was there I would feel no need to apologize just because someone from "my state" jumped the line or was rude to you. The whole notion of "rude people from NJ" is just ridiculous. Half the people that saved people from the WTC were from NJ. NJ is full of wonderful people and heros....not rude line jumpers. If you are ever in trouble....there's no one you'd rather have covering your back than a New Jerseyian or a New Yorker!

You can tell you story about rude line jumpers....but where they are from really doesn't matter...does it?

What is the purpose of posting this information Disney_1derland? These type posts seem to happen every year and I don't understand what the person making the post is trying to accomplish.

Frankly, I find it hard to believe that this line cutting scam happened to you three times in one day. Now what's the chance of that happening?

NJ has such a horrible reputation- everytime we go on vacation we usually get a comment or two from people we meet. I grow tired of sticking up for my state-explaining that its not all turnpike and smokestacks here- I live at the beach and dont have a heavy accent(not rude either)!
I am sorry you encountered rude people- obviously,rude people are from every state but I guess the accent makes those from NJ stand out even more!

First off, I want to say that I know lots of nice people from New Jersey, but reading this thread reminded me of something my boss said recently.

We were listening to a lecture on how people first learn respect and manners from their parents. My boss chimed in and said, "Well, there mustn't be any parents in New Jersey".

Please keep in mind that it was a joke. Inappropriate? Probably, but it did get a good chuckle.

Personally, I have never heard of "Jersey Week" until now. I have never noticed anything different in the parks during this time. However, working in the tourist industry - IMHO - some regions of the world produce more rude people per capita than other places, but New Jersey would have to come 4th to New York, South Florida, and Brazil. Just my personal experience though - I have met real doozies from all over the country.

Let me tell you about my "scam" and how I "jumped the line" at Test Track. I am, of course, from New Jersey.

I got on line at Test Track with my three kids. As we moved up my six year old said he had to go to the bathroom. I told the other two to stay in line and I left with the little guy.

By the time I got back from the bathroom the line had grown considerably so I made my through to get back to my other children. You may remember me. I was the guy with the backpack dragging a small child through the line saying "excuse me", "sorry", "thank you', etc. and getting all the dirty looks. Being from NJ and not having any regard for anyone elses feelings, I just plowed through to the front of the line. Thank goodness no one tried a "body block", cause it would've gotten ugly.

Boy, did that scam work great! It worked so well I kept pouring drinks down my kid's throat so I could do it again and again. You should try it. I read about it in the Obnoxious New Jerseyian manual. It came with a t-shirt that reads "F U - I'm from NJ".

John-NJ

PS-I really did take my kid to the bathroom and make my way back through the line. The rest is a joke. :smooth:

Disney_1derland, thank you very much for your post of your experience during Jersey Week.

It sure was crowded, wasn't it? I cannot believe that person said that to you about "owning the park"!! That's horrible. My DH would have been in a fight if that happened to us.

I'm sorry some are taking offense to your post...I'm originally from NJ and was not insulted by your story.

I don't think I'll ever go again during Jersey week as it was the most crowded I've ever experience, even more than the end of August.

I would be pretty annoyed by any line jumping. There are some lines that are just impossible to leave for whatever reason and then try and get back in to get to family members. I think its rude to do so. If someone has to leave for example TOT, RnR, or TT the whole group should leave, IMHO. I've got 2 little ones and I'd just wait to do the ride. I also can't stand when my DH runs ahead with my girls while I park the stroller...I can't stand saying "excuse me" to get to my DH and 2 DDs; I feel so guilty. He did this at Buzz Lightyear ride while the line was still outside and there were about 10 people between me and him and I was so uncomfortable. Luckily, the people were kind and understanding...I told my DH to never do that again...it's just not worth the little time it saves to upset people.

Just my .02 cents.

Glad you still had a great trip though, I still did!! :teeth:

I knew the flames would fly. I posted my story, yes it did matter where they were from as they specifically used that as an excuse for their rude behavior. I didn't make them look bad, they did that all on their own.

And yes, of course I made this up, it's all an elaborate scheme to be hated by the people of the Dis who happen to be from NJ, that, afterall is my one goal in life.

Sad that sharing ones experiences can lead to such ugliness. I specifically said that I knew this wasn't typical, it's just exactly what happened. Since you see questions constantly on this board asking "How crowded is Jersey Week" and "What can we expect Jersey Week?" I posted my experience. Plain and Simple. It was more crowded than the times we've been in early August and there was much more rude behavior than I've EVER seen at a Disney park. Two of my incidences specifically involved people from New Jersey, the first I'm only guessing since the accents sounded very similar. The other things I witnessed I have no way of knowing since they did not involve me directly and they could have been from Mars. The point is, it was crowded, there was rude behavior and it's not for us. We won't go back at this time of year.

If that offends you, I've already apologized and if you'll read the rest of the thread, you'll see that.

Originally posted by JohnNJ
Hey Lori !

Let me tell you about my "scam" and how I "jumped the line" at Test Track. I am, of course, from New Jersey.

I got on line at Test Track with my three kids. As we moved up my six year old said he had to go to the bathroom. I told the other two to stay in line and I left with the little guy.

By the time I got back from the bathroom the line had grown considerably so I made my through to get back to my other children. You may remember me. I was the guy with the backpack dragging a small child through the line saying "excuse me", "sorry", "thank you', etc. and getting all the dirty looks. Being from NJ and not having any regard for anyone elses feelings, I just plowed through to the front of the line. Thank goodness no one tried a "body block", cause it would've gotten ugly.

Boy, did that scam work great! It worked so well I kept pouring drinks down my kid's throat so I could do it again and again. You should try it. I read about it in the Obnoxious New Jerseyian manual. It came with a t-shirt that reads "F U - I'm from NJ".

John-NJ

PS-I really did take my kid to the bathroom and make my way back through the line. The rest is a joke. :smooth:

Hey John,
I wasn't in the line for Test Track but people everywhere are talking about your scam. We even saw people copying this scam left and right. Funny how the use of the words Excuse me, sorry and thank you can make such a thing totally acceptable, even to me. This is one scam I'm totally for, believe me, I'd rather you get out of line than to have to walk through the mess your poor child would surely have created had you forced them to wait (we saw this too, truly sad!)

:earseek:

Originally posted by allicat
NJ has such a horrible reputation- everytime we go on vacation we usually get a comment or two from people we meet. I grow tired of sticking up for my state-explaining that its not all turnpike and smokestacks here- I live at the beach and dont have a heavy accent(not rude either)!
I am sorry you encountered rude people- obviously,rude people are from every state but I guess the accent makes those from NJ stand out even more!

I would NEVER have known where they were from except for the fact that the guy actually told me they owned the park for this week because they are from New Jersey. Otherwise I would never have been able to guess the accent, I'm terrible with accents. I have friends in various parts of NJ and have never known any of them to be rude.

I didn't even bother reading the rest of this thread after the initial post - but in defense of New Jersey (I'm from neighboring Delaware) I felt that I needed to post... we just returned 11/5-11/13 & yes MK was extremely crowded but other than MK all the other parks were as crowded as other non-Jersey weeks that we have gone (Sept, Oct & Nov) In fact during the day Epcot was practically deserted. The majority of people we encountered wer British or Aussies NOT from Jersey (& all pleasant BTW)!!! And while not Disney, Universal, IOA & SW were all very enjoyable with practically no crowds. I didn't see or hear of any line jumping instances... except for strollers hitting the backs of our ankles everyone was very pleasant...
Would I go back during this time? Absolutely!!!
Christine

Just to let you know, people from Jersey do not go to Disney only during Jersey week. They are there all the time. So it would be difficult to avoid Jersians at any time, even more difficult to avoid rude people as they come from everywhere, not just N.J.:rolleyes:

Originally posted by luvmick
Just to let you know, people from Jersey do not go to Disney only during Jersey week. They are there all the time. So it would be difficult to avoid Jersians at any time, even more difficult to avoid rude people as they come from everywhere, not just N.J.:rolleyes:

Nowhere in my post did I say we wouldn't go during Jersey Week because of the people. It was crazy crowded and we would not choose this time of year if it's going to be just as crowded as more peak times.

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeease. :headache:

Did you just get out of a rock?

I do not agree with the actions nor the words of the Jerseyites you encountered, however, you must be terribly niave to think that it only happens to you; it only happens by evil people from Jersey; and it only happens in WDW. :moped:

I was there 11/4 - 11/14 (about the same time as the op).
Definitely lots of people from NJ the first few days and from England the rest of the time (that I noticed).
I didn't think it was overly crowded as we were two adults and managed to get around efficiently and used fastpass often. I think the longest line we waited in was for The Great Movie Ride at MGM. They didn't tell you how long the wait was going in and it took about 30 minutes. It was irritating as I don't care for that ride and was only going on it to pass some time.
I wouldn't say I encountered rude New Jersey people, it is that they have more of a different style than I am used to on a regular basis. What I mean by that is I find many foreign cultures and people from New Jersey and New York to speak very LOUD. This is just my personal experience. It drives me crazy having people yell around me.
Overall I had a great trip and I can't wait to go back - Jersey Week or No Jersey Week.
Oh, I didn't notice any particular group of people jumping line. Just some pushy people and eager children.

I found it to be more crowded then four years ago when we went around the same week but it wasn't Jersey week. MK was horrible on the weekend but rest of the time and the other parks were fine. Didn't see too much rude behavior. Actually I was very impressed by people on the buses. Men and Women always gave up their seats to me with my two year-old. It was very much appreciated. We always would wait for a different bus if it was standing room only but sometimes you can't tell until you board. It left a great impression on me.

Originally posted by Disney_1derland
I knew the flames would fly. I posted my story, yes it did matter where they were from as they specifically used that as an excuse for their rude behavior. I didn't make them look bad, they did that all on their own.

If you knew the flames would fly....then you should be prepared for it. And just because they used that as an excuse for their rude behavior...doesn't mean it matters that they're from NJ. Like I said, pretty much only Disers know its called Jersey Week so maybe we could say "Disers are rude people"

And yes, of course I made this up, it's all an elaborate scheme to be hated by the people of the Dis who happen to be from NJ, that, afterall is my one goal in life.

Some people do like to post things that will stir up controversy.

Sad that sharing ones experiences can lead to such ugliness. I specifically said that I knew this wasn't typical, it's just exactly what happened.

The only thing that's ugly on this thread is the prejudice shown towards people that come from a different culture.

Since you see questions constantly on this board asking "How crowded is Jersey Week" and "What can we expect Jersey Week?" I posted my experience. Plain and Simple. It was more crowded than the times we've been in early August and there was much more rude behavior than I've EVER seen at a Disney park.

I've only ever seen questions regarding the crowds of Jersey week, never anything about how Jerseyians act.

Two of my incidences specifically involved people from New Jersey, the first I'm only guessing since the accents sounded very similar. The other things I witnessed I have no way of knowing since they did not involve me directly and they could have been from Mars.

In your OP you said they were all from NJ...when, in fact, you only know for sure that one family was.

The point is, it was crowded, there was rude behavior and it's not for us. We won't go back at this time of year.

If that offends you, I've already apologized and if you'll read the rest of the thread, you'll see that.

It doesn't offend me...and no need to apologize. I won't go back that week either.....too many narrow minded people.

We actually got a kick out of the "Jersey week" thing! My husband grew up in New Jersey (moved away when he was about 14) and felt like he was back home again. The accent and some of the expressions brought back a lot of good memories for him. By the end of our stay, even our kids were saying "HEY, Knock it awwff!" in a perfect Jersey accent.

The majority of the Jersey folks we met in line were very outgoing and friendly....a little louder than I'm used to, but that's part of the friendliness! : )

We did encounter one line-jumping incident that I have to share. I was waiting to ride Dumbo with my 3yo on Saturday night. AFTER passing the turnstiles where you're handed your little card/ticket, a mother CLIMBED OVER and joined her husband and two small children in line. The husband had already been given his card/ticket...and he only got ONE. Well, the mother proceeded to take one of the children and climbed into her own Dumbo, even though she didn't have a card/ticket. When it came time to start the ride, another father/daughter didn't have a Dumbo to ride in, because this woman had taken one. When the CMs figured out what happened, the woman FREAKED OUT, got very nasty and refused to get out. We sat there for about 5 minutes while the CMs and the woman's husband tried to convince her to get out of the DUmbo. FInally, with major attitude, she crammed herself into the Dumbo with her husband and two kids. I couldn't believe it! I'm not sure if this woman was from New Jersey or not, but wherever she's from, she sure had a lot of nerve!

Sharon

We were there last week also from November 6th through November 13th. We didn't notice things really picking up until Thursday at MK due to Veteran's Day. On Sunday we walked onto things at AK, same was true on Monday at MK. Maybe we were lucky.

Didn't notice any rude New Jerseyians. There was a very nice gentleman from Great Britain at Epcot who motioned his son to allow me, my DS, and my stroller through due to the crowds. I thought that was very nice of him and made a point to thank him. I had various people hold gates, doors, and try to give me their seat. I was impressed by the number of people that were so nice and truly enjoyed the magic of the surroundings. You New Jerseyians -- and Brits -- are welcome in Michigan anytime!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter