Jersey Week...Never Again...Trip Report

Originally posted by Gaiusrex
Jersey Week was last week. This weekend is Super Soap Weekend. I hope you weren't planning on doing MGM.
You can easily do MGM during Super Soap weekend - just avoid the Soap areas - it can be done! It just takes planning and the proper mind-set. It actually may be less crowded this year, as Super Soap and Jersey week don't coincide this year, as they have in many years past.

Next someone will tell you to avoid Downtown Disney because of the Festival of the Masters......

Originally posted by ILoveWDW2003
You can easily do MGM during Super Soap weekend - just avoid the Soap areas - it can be done! It just takes planning and the proper mind-set. It actually may be less crowded this year, as Super Soap and Jersey week don't coincide this year, as they have in many years past.

Next someone will tell you to avoid Downtown Disney because of the Festival of the Masters......

Naw, art is boring :jester:

My original post was a little tongue-in-cheek (hence the jester icon).

Begining Wednesday, when it was hot. But we went to Epcot for the F&W Festival. didn't think it was all that crowded. Went to AK on Thursday and yes, it was busy, but not bad. Walked right into the shows we wanted to see.
Went to Spectro Thursday night.. again, not bad.
MGM Friday... busy and crowded. Longest wait for us was 25 minutes for RNR... 10 minutes for TOT
Epcot Saturday... busy, but a lot of locals for F&W Festival.
Sunday: MK for the morning... Yep, busy! A million strollers. But we just had a few "adult" things to do; Tiki Room, Haunted House. We were out of there by noon.

Used some FastPass, but all in all, I didn't think the crowds were that bad. Fortunately though we missed most of the heat.

Did witness one loud argument... at the bus stop at the Poly one night. Definitely caught some NJ accents in the fray. Mostly we enjoyed the "accents" we overheard in the parks.
Would rather be at a crowded WDW than home anyway!

hey gjeresygirl, were those YOUR loud voices heard at the bus stop at the poly one night during jerser week? lol. just kidding! i didn't realize i had an "accent". when i was little i used to walk through stores faking an accent just to draw attention. what a deprived childhood i must have had!

I hear you about the so-called "off seasons." We were there last year the week before Thanksgiving and it was rather crazy. Luckily the weather was hot and sunny and we just gave up and swam. Didn't do the parks much at all. We stayed at Old Key West and I was thankful for that because that place never seems busy or full, even when it is. I also prefer summer due to late hours. We swim and visit resorts in the daytimes and don't usually hit the parks 'til dinner. We eat then walk around and ride. So much fun, no sunscreen required!

When I was a kid growing up (in NJ!) my Dad worked for the Jersey Central Railroad, later Conrail. People were regularly killed on the tracks. He'd come home so upset... Some were elderly and deaf (yet I can't imagine not hearing a TRAIN coming), some were drunk, many were suicides. Yikes. Sorry for your trouble, but I am with you. I am TERRIFIED to fly and long trip or no, we DRIVE!

Due to Internet forums and guidebooks and the sharing of how wonderful the off season is, I am not sure there is an "off" season anymore.

Also Disney has done a lot of special events to draw crowds during the off seasons.

Originally posted by gjerseygirl
Woke up at 8:00 a.m. to find that we were still in FLorida. Couldn't believe it!!! Why oh why! Well, apparently out train hit and killed someone outside of Jacksonville. They're not sure if he committed suicide or if he tried to outrun the train or if he was sleeping on the tracks. So we were 8 hours late coming into Newark, NJ. 32 hours on the train!! They started running out of food and drinks for Pete's sake!! I mean, I feel bad for the guy but jeez, I was ready to throw myself in front of the train after 32 hours.

This is totally off topic but my Mom was travelling Amtrak last month (she won't fly either) and they hit someone too! They had to wait and wait and it was very unpleasant as well. I wonder how often this happens?
-Wendy:sad2:

Originally posted by Angel1
What I'd like to know is: how does Jersey week compare to summer crowds?

We went this past June 13 - 18, and just got back from our "Jersey Week" trip, October 31 - November 5.

I would much rather be there during "Jersey Week" than the summer.

We must have been lucky because we didn't have too many long waits for any rides. Other than Test Track, which had a long wait, so we went in the single riders line, we didn't wait long for anything. We use FP whenever possible. If the wait, in standby, is more than 15 minutes, I skip it or get a FP, and there wasn't anything we missed.

The Magic Kingdom was much more crowded the Friday we left, I did take notice to that, but the rest of the week wasn't bad at all.

Originally posted by Luigi's Girl
hey gjeresygirl, were those YOUR loud voices heard at the bus stop at the poly one night during jerser week? lol. just kidding! i didn't realize i had an "accent". when i was little i used to walk through stores faking an accent just to draw attention. what a deprived childhood i must have had!

Hey L Girl: When I read that post I was thinking....jeez I hope that wasn't me and Joe!!! LOL!! Hey...you never know...I was very cranky!! But I don't have a Jersey accent. I've never been able to get rid of my Brooklyn accent. I don't pronounce my Rs. You can take the girl out of Brooklyn, but.......

Anyhows, no I don't think you really do have an accent. Never noticed that before. And you don't have big hair. Hmmm....are you sure you're a real Jersey Girl???LOL

Originally posted by colleen costello
I hear you about the so-called "off seasons." We were there last year the week before Thanksgiving and it was rather crazy. Luckily the weather was hot and sunny and we just gave up and swam. Didn't do the parks much at all. We stayed at Old Key West and I was thankful for that because that place never seems busy or full, even when it is. I also prefer summer due to late hours. We swim and visit resorts in the daytimes and don't usually hit the parks 'til dinner. We eat then walk around and ride. So much fun, no sunscreen required!

When I was a kid growing up (in NJ!) my Dad worked for the Jersey Central Railroad, later Conrail. People were regularly killed on the tracks. He'd come home so upset... Some were elderly and deaf (yet I can't imagine not hearing a TRAIN coming), some were drunk, many were suicides. Yikes. Sorry for your trouble, but I am with you. I am TERRIFIED to fly and long trip or no, we DRIVE!

I'm telling you...all I wanted to do was go in the Polys pool and hang and drink my pina coladas. Next time...definetly June. I love doing the parks at night. So far that has been my favorite time.

And about the train. Yeah...the conductors were very upset. I can imagine the engineer. I asked them...I hope he's not still driving....but no...they had to take him off and drug test him and stuff...plus he was too traumatized. I stop short for squirrels for Pete's sake so knowing my train killed someone didn't sit too well with me either. But I'll still take the train...nope...no flying for me!!

Originally posted by wendylovesdisney
This is totally off topic but my Mom was travelling Amtrak last month (she won't fly either) and they hit someone too! They had to wait and wait and it was very unpleasant as well. I wonder how often this happens?
-Wendy:sad2:

Hey Wendy: Wow! That's something else. I wonder how often it does happen!! I live near NJ Trasit North Jersey Coast line and have to cross tracks almost everywhere I go and it happens very rarely here. So that is very interesting......

OK well...this is funny, we went to Disney 4 years ago when the twins were 3. It was my first time in about 10 years so I was basically clueless about off season crowds weather etc...we just decided to go and knew it was "school season" for the rest of the world. Well we got down there and did all the parks and had a blast no complaints really but listened to people complaining all trip about "Jersey Folk" Finally I said something to my DH like...***???? Someone on the bus overheard me and leaned in and said, don't take it personally, Floridians only hate "Jersey Folk" during Jersey week...LOL We just looked at each other in shock...of all the stinkin weeks I could have picked to go (any week would have been fine for us) we had to pick Jersey week and I guess our New York/New Jersey accents just set the picture for anyone around us...LOL we had no CLUE!!!

But even with people complaining etc, I found it fine I guess thats because we are used to crowds - try walking down 5th ave ANYTIME of year - elbow to elbow is actually breathing room...LOL

Were there lots of girls with Big hair and cans of Aqua Net in their purse??

( LOL...sorry...my best friend is from Jersey and I tease her all the time!)

I get a kick out of all the Jersey accents in Florida ANY time of the year. Since I have my own East Jersey accent (born and raised in Bayonne) but haven't lived there in years, I don't hear too many. In Florida I feel "right at home." It always seems like half the people at the pools are from the east coast, and I always ask them "Where are you from?" One of the things I most enjoy about WDW is meeting so many nice people, from Jersey and everywhere.

like my friend gjerseygirl said i don't have big hair and wouldn't be caught dead with that cheap aqua net!!! as a matter of fact i don't even think i had big hair in the 80's when it was okay to have it! (i don't mean to offend anyone with th aqua net comment!)

As a fellow Jersey Girl, we were also there the first week of November, but stayed at the Hard Rock Resort at Universal Studios. I loved the week, the hotel, express pass, and I loved the warm weather. There was no rain and blue skys. It was so nice wearing shorts during the day instead of a sweater, jacket, and gloves. It's Florida, so you have to expect it to be hot, even in November. After speaking with several CM's, they told me it was a little warmer then normal, but it was nothing unusual. Also, when you go to WDW, especially the MK, you have to expect crowds, no matter what time of the year. But I have to say, I personally felt the crowds were not that bad. I've been to WDW during Easter break and in June, and thats when the seriously long lines appear. I did miss the parks being open late, but I would definitely recommend this week.

Originally posted by Luigi's Girl
like my friend gjerseygirl said i don't have big hair and wouldn't be caught dead with that cheap aqua net!!! as a matter of fact i don't even think i had big hair in the 80's when it was okay to have it! (i don't mean to offend anyone with th aqua net comment!)

Did you see the HBO movie "Hysterical Blindness?" They carry the hairspray in the big ol purse and they bend over and spray their "wings"...LOL I was ROLLING!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter