• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Jersey Week: Is it really so bad?

JrsyDebs

Mouseketeer
I am debating going to WDW next year during Jersey Week, but have heard bad things about that week...

Jersey Week would probably be the most convenient time for my family to go, since kids get out of school Thurs and Fri, making it a four-day weekend. Is it really that crowded? I read somewhere that it is one of the most crowded weeks.

I have heard other negative things about Jersey week, also read about people cancelling their ressies for this week after finding out it was Jersey Week, but I don't really know why...

No flames about New Jersey, please!! I would like constructive criticism, good or bad, to help me make my decision.

Thanks!
Debs

We've been there, during Jersey Week, a few times and we'll be there this year.

It's a little more crowded than early December, but it's not as bad as the summer or Easter.

The weather is always perfect...highs in the high 80s, sunny, very little rain, some years we didn't have any rain!

Go and have a great time! :)

Personally I think it gets attention because it is one of the busy weeks during a slow time - so busy is relative. Its also during Veterans Day when many locals grab a day or to and make a longer weekend.

Here in MA we often have a teacher converence day (not a week like NJ) and go during that week. Compared to Presidents day, Spring break and June or August its not busy at all. Compared to the week before, September or the week after its busy. Given the chance I would certainly plan a vacation during "jersey week". This year my girls have extra time off over Columbus day so we are taking advantage.

TJ

Personally I think it gets attention because it is one of the busy weeks during a slow time - so busy is relative. Its also during Veterans Day when many locals grab a day or to and make a longer weekend.

Here in MA we often have a teacher converence day (not a week like NJ) and go during that week. Compared to Presidents day, Spring break and June or August its not busy at all. Compared to the week before, September or the week after its busy. Given the chance I would certainly plan a vacation during "jersey week". This year my girls have extra time off over Columbus day so we are taking advantage.

TJ

Don't let the hype scare you! We were there last year during Jersey Week. After going in the spring for the last few years, it is a welcome break. The longest wait is about 20 minutes but most are 10 minutes or just walk on.

Thanks for the feedback, all!

I guess I really just wanted to be reassured that it would be okay to go Jersey Week. Sounds like, as far as the weather and the crowds go, it would be a good time to go...

My first choice would have been early May; as our last trip to WDW was in the month of May and it was perfect, but then I looked at the school schedule and DD does not have any days off from school in May except for Memorial Day, so I was mulling over second-choice dates.

The only thing is that waiting til Nov '05 will be torture; it's too long to wait being that I have Disney Fever and taking a trip to WDW is not just a wish, but a NEED! At least I'll have more time to save funds to make this trip a really special vacation for all.

Debs

Well, I'll be the voice of dissent!

We went during Jersey Week in 2002. It also coincided with the Food and Wine Festival, Super Soap Weekend, and Veteran's Day. It was crowded. MK stayed open on Saturday until 11 due to the crowds. There was a 20 minute wait for Small World. There was a 50 (something in that neighborhood, don't remember exactly) minute wait for Jungle Cruise. Overall the trip was a disappointment. We weren't expecting the crowds that we encountered and while we had a good time, we vowed to NEVER go during this time of year again. It's just not for us.

Erin :D

We are going Jersey week and I am hoping it won't be too crowded. Super Soap weekend is the next weekend, so that won't interfere (I would have really loved to be there then though!) The only thing going on that week is the Food and Wine festival and Election Day so it shouldn't be that bad.
Franne

Originally posted by JrsyDebs

The only thing is that waiting til Nov '05 will be torture; it's too long to wait being that I have Disney Fever and taking a trip to WDW is not just a wish, but a NEED! At least I'll have more time to save funds to make this trip a really special vacation for all.

Debs

Not sure if you know this or not, but the convention, in 2005, will be November 10 & 11.

Jersey week is the October 30th through November 6th (if you're counting Sat. to Sat.).

Anyhows, I'm also going Jersey Week and I think alot of Jerseyans have caught on to going this week because while calling for codes for this week, a CM told me, honey, I couldn't even get you a room at the Poly for that week at full price. It's completely booked. (I already had my ressie). So I am personally a little concerned about how crowded it will be. With that said, I've only ever been down there Easter week so I say it has to be less crowded than that. Its all relative. And at least we won't be standing in line in 90 degree heat. So at this point I have the attidude, it is what it is!

There is a New Jersey Teachers Convention on Thursday and Friday November 4th and 5th. Many NJ families come to Disney on Wednesday of that week. The last two years it was also Super Soap Weekend and Veterans the Day so there was allot of people and the Parks were crowded. This year Jersey week is early and Super Soap weekend does not overlap. Jersey week will be fine.

Originally posted by gogoofygo
What are the dates of jersey week??? Thank you

Dates for the future NJEA Conventions:

Thursday, November 4
Friday, November 5
Saturday, November 6

Thursday, November 10
Friday, November 11
Saturday, November 12

Thursday, November 9
Friday, November 10
Saturday, November 11

1 state out of 50......I am not that worried. Think about it.....summer everyone is off, christmas everyone......

And, contrary to popular belief, not EVERYBODY from New Jersey is in WDW that week. I know a few people who don't go! ;)

When I was there during Jersey week, it wasn't just Jersey, but several other North-Eastern States. It was crowded & the hours short - that's why I would choose to avoid it in the future for myself - I don't mind the crowds when you have the hours to make up for it - or the short hours when you have lesser crowds. If they have lengthened Park Hours now to compensate, fantastic - I would reconsider.

But the weather is sublime & the F&WF is marvelous. So go & have fun, just be aware that you may have to do a little more advance planning to compensate for the hour/crowd factor.

If you check the WDW calendar for November you will see that there are several extended hours, not as much a traditionally busy times, but some extra hours.

Penny

Fortunately, Jersey Week does NOT coincide with Super Soaps this year, so that at least won't be adding to the crowds. Be forwarned that the National Association of Realtors convention starts in Orlando on Nov. 5, however, so you can expect that somewhere around 25,000 Realtors, plus guests and exhibitors, will be in the area. Their "official" theme park outing is at Universal's IOA on Sunday, Nov. 7, but they will be in evidence all around the city.

We'll be there Nov. 3-7, regardless, and are looking forward to a GREAT time.

I have been to Jersey week for the last three years and there is really not a problem with crowds except on Super Soap weekend when MGM was extremely crowded and then allot of people went over to Epcot to try to get away from the lines making Epcot crowded in the afternoon too (Fastpass for Mission Space and Test track were sold out by 1:00 last year). Since Super Soap Weekend is not until November 13th there should not be a problem with crowds on Jersey week. The Disney hotels will be booked but Disney can handle increase in the crowds and they usually announce added extra hours to the posted closing times on a few of the days.

We've been at WDW for Jersey Week twice, 2000 & 2003, and wouldn't hestitate to go at that time again. Using FastPass, we never waited more than 15 for a ride and walked on to some rides. And, as others have said, the weather is usually perfect that time of year.

If you don't mind the "Joisey" accent, you'll be fine!;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter