• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Jellyfish on Western (recent)

We did see a jellyfish at CC on our first cruise March 2001. It was at the family beach floating around 3 feet from shore. I thought it was a baggie and went to pick it up until I realized what it was!

I was stung by a jellyfish at Chankanaab Park on the 8/30/03 Western Cruise. I was snorkeling fairly early in the AM and had seen one rather small, clear jellyfish several minutes before and was leisurly kicking along the surface when a tenticle wrapped around my right thigh and gave me a series of stings, about as painful as mild bee stings.
I have a history of bee sting allergy and travel alone so I swam, kicking with only the other leg, toward the life guard tower. I was wearing a lifejacket that I had brought along with my own snorkle gear so I wasn't really in a panic.
The lifeguard assured me, in broken English, that jellyfish stings are not usually serious unless you are allergic. He applied vinegar from a spray bottle and I remained close to the guard tower, with my epinephrine syringe close at hand, for about a half hour then returned to enjoy my day at the park.
By evening time I had nothing left from the incident but a couple small itchy spots on my leg and an interesting story to tell to my tablemates at dinner.

Chankanaab Park was very beautiful and relaxing. I loved looking for iguanas. The snorkeling is lovely for anyone of an "advanced beginner" stage or beyond. You can't touch the bottom much. I always bring a ski vest style lifejacket. I helps greatly when adjusting your mask and snorkel in deep water and if you ever get caught in a strong current (or ambushed by the marine life) you at least remain floating on the surface.

Granted it is WAY far away but we have gone to Cape Cod for a week the end of August for 11 years now and never had any jelly fish encounters except for the little clear kind.
This summer there were a bunch of BIG red ones that were quite omonous looking (we kept our distance) it was a totally new experience. I wonder if this is a bad jellyfish year>?

We are just back from the 7-day western. There were some sea lice on the Fury Cateraman Sail/Snorkle. I was stung on my leg and fingers. It really just feels like a bee sting and goes away rather quickly. It sure did scare me though!

AnnMorin: I noticed the same thing this year on the SC coast. Every morning there were several washed on shore. I'm like a magnet to them, so I stayed out of the water.

At Cape Cod every summer and somehow they went away.. I hadn't seen them like that again until this year so we are talking 20 years.. Anyhow it may sound gross but the best thing to do if stung by one of the big ones is have someone pee on you. That somehow neurilizes the sting. My brother who was in the Navy did that on myself(and YES I was horrified to see my adult brother urinating on my arm) but it really did work. They taught him that in the Navy. Then he had me go and get Adolph's meat tenderizer and put that on the welt ( a bad sting will make a welt)
Anyhow I had always been leary of them since that time but this was the first year I saw the big red bubbly ones again.

Ann,
Do you happen to watch Friends? If so, then you will have seen the episode where Chandler has to pee on Monica when she was stung by a jellyfish. Reading your post made me think of that. If I were you, I would definitely keep my distance from the creepy little buggers having that memory in my head! :D

Dee Ann it was actually more funny than anything.......
And it really did help.. not that I am advocating anyone urinating on their fellow man ..but the welts did stop throbbing somewhat. Do be aware that if you run into a large jellyfish (and the darker they are -at least up north here- the more venum they have) you will get welts or like big blisters but it is not that horrible.......... I think the shock of being stung is the worst part. Kinda like if you are somehow surprised by a loud sound and your heart jumps. After it is done and you know you are ok it is fine.

I can't even imagine being close to one! I would scream, cry and flail about in the water like a baby! What does your family do on CC???

Originally posted by AnnMorin
(and YES I was horrified to see my adult brother urinating on my arm)

I may be missing something, but... uhmm.... why didn't you look away?

;)

Julie

Originally posted by Cruise
I may be missing something, but... uhmm.... why didn't you look away?

;)

Julie

Well........it kinda happend awfully fast and then I was wondering what the heck??:D

Originally posted by jiminy579
I can't even imagine being close to one! I would scream, cry and flail about in the water like a baby!

1018.gif
310.gif
prizrak1.gif

Sea Safe
Thats the answer. Get it with sunscreen. Take plenty of it and use it. Put it on BEFORE you put on your swim suit (because you need it under your swimsuit for sea lice). Its a great sunscreen and it keeps those nasty blighters (the jellyfish and sea lice) away. I won't go snorkeling again without it. We never have had a problem when we use it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter