Jellyfish at castaway cay?

Yes, or at least there were in 2008 when a friend of ours got stung.

From the Nassau Yacht Harbor (the article was written in July, proclaiming the jellyfish were back.)

“Generally found in Bahamian waters from spring through the early summer, in various stages, they can make swimming and enjoying the waters quite uncomfortable.”

It‘s when the water is warming up from Winter.

They are called Thimbles, and seem to cause problems when trapped in your clothes - more than the ones in the Gulf when you touch/ step in one.

Last edited:

It is the ocean - not a pool. So there can be jellyfish, sting rays, sharks, fish, etc. There are signs reminding you of this at Castaway. When you swim in the ocean, you are in the animals' world.

We take seasafe spray and lotion with us. It will probably not prevent as much as reduce the impact. That said we only cruise late March/early April (safer)

I was stung by a baby moon jelly on Coco Cay - same basic vicinity - just this past week. Minor, thankfully as it was on my bikini line and I did NOT want to get treatment for that.

Not CC, but the jelly fish season in Destin is like August, September. The ocean was swarmed with them this past September. Lesson learned. We will never go during that time frame again. They were everywhere.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter