Jedi Training Academy Question

zuzu310

DIS Veteran
We plan on getting to DHS early and heading straight to JTA signups at rope drop. We will be going in September so lower crowds. How long does it usually take to sign up approximately? Also, do you get to pick your time if it's available or do you get assigned one? I am just really trying to plan but I have no idea how to plan out FP+ for that day.

I don't think it took my husband and son more than ten minutes to sign up. They assigned us a time. That is tough with FP+. DS's JTA time was 10:30, which coincided with our legacy FP at the time, so we gave our FP to another family that was waiting stand-by at TSM. Can't do that now with FP+.

Our sign- up experience did not take long (5-10 minutes), and we were able to pick from several open sessions. This was in February 2014 (with FP+).

It doesn't take long to sign up, just the time you wait in line and just a couple of minutes with the CM. We were able to pick our time and got exactly what we'd hoped for. We did this early last August during level 9 crowds.

Last October (medium crowds) we were very near the front when the park opened, but didn't run to sign ups, so we're passed by people who did run. It took us 15-20 min to finish sign ups. They were allowing people to sign up for any available show time remaining. By the time I was at the front, all 3 of the first shows were full, but I could pick from all remaining shows. The CMs had iPads and would help you rearrange FP if desired, although they all advised not to touch a TSMM Fastpass, as you would not likely be able to replace it.

I find FP tough in that park anyway because of all the shows, which I think are hard to time out. Luckily I was able to get FP for Toy Story and Star Tours before lunch, and chose a Jedi show in the late afternoon. A trip highlight!

This did provide some insight so thanks to everyone who responded. My son is 4.5 so this is his first year and I am trying to plan out FP+ but wasn't sure where to put that TSMM one.

We did this two weeks ago. Got to the park around 8:15 and they opened HS about 15 minutes early. Walked straight to Jedi Training sign up. Waited in line about ten minutes. First two shows were already filled up. We had Fast Passes but were able to choose a show that worked around our Fast Passes. We chose the third show and everything worked out.

We did this two weeks ago. Got to the park around 8:15 and they opened HS about 15 minutes early. Walked straight to Jedi Training sign up. Waited in line about ten minutes. First two shows were already filled up. We had Fast Passes but were able to choose a show that worked around our Fast Passes. We chose the third show and everything worked out.

First two shows were filled because there were that many people who arrived before you at 8:15, or because people ran past you?

Food for thought when you pick the times during that time of year.... I advise avoiding the afternoon "pop up thunderstorm window" if possible. Not only is it super hot then but it takes only 1-2 drops of rain for them to potentially cancel JTA. We got caught by this last year and it didn't even end up raining, 2 drops fell while the kids walked down and while the CM's that led the kids down said it would go on someone at the stage overrode them and cancelled it. We got the meet with Darth and Storm Troopers and came back out to sunshine. No rain at all. So get it as early as you can, or maybe the latest. It's worth getting there extra early so you get full pick of the times.

And more food for thought, 99% of the time HS opens 15-20 min before official opening time. So try to be there at the turnstiles 30 min before that time, not 30 min before opening time. Crowds build fast too

It is a 9am opening and we are staying at POP (so like 5 minutes from DHS). We plan to be at the bus stop at 7:45am and we would like the 12:35pm show if possible. I hope we get in!!!

We waited in line for about 30 minutes at rope drop. We could still pick our time, but the times were definitely later (noon and on).

We always do an 8am Hollywood and vine breakfast reservation, and then head over right at 9am. We got to pick our time and it only took 5 minutes to do it.

We always do an 8am Hollywood and vine breakfast reservation, and then head over right at 9am. We got to pick our time and it only took 5 minutes to do it.
I thought about H&V but we would be paying OOP but neither of my sons really have any interest in Disney Jr. characters. Now if it was Star Wars, sign us up.

I thought about H&V but we would be paying OOP but neither of my sons really have any interest in Disney Jr. characters. Now if it was Star Wars, sign us up.
They've talked that it's possible the SWW meal at SciFi will continue but nothing official. Just rumor mill stuff. So keep your eyes/ears tuned just in case

The good news though, you can get to HS at the same general time (8:00) and get front of the turnstile and still get your pick of times for JTA.

Do JtA sign up spots ever open up again during the day? I was planning on going to HS twice, but both times at night. Does that eliminate any chance of my son participating?

Do JtA sign up spots ever open up again during the day? I was planning on going to HS twice, but both times at night. Does that eliminate any chance of my son participating?
You would need to stop by the sign-up area and if there aren't any openings, ask to have him placed on the waiting list. Then you would need to show up 30 minutes before a session to see if there are any no shows. That's the only way your son would have a chance of being in a JTA session.

Thanks!! Does anyone have any info/experience on how often Stand-bys get "called up for duty"?

There's no way to determine no shows for JTA. If there is a major downpour in the afternoon, it may or may not affect those who are signed up. Because a meet and greet is held with Vader and Troopers when the stage is too wet for a session, most kids still show up for the interaction.

It's really best to sign up at rope drop for a late session and then leave DHS and come back later in the day. Your son needs to report in 30 minutes before his session begins or someone on the waiting list will fill his spot.

First two shows were filled because there were that many people who arrived before you at 8:15, or because people ran past you?

There was no one running. My son and I were walking fast and a cast member told us to slow down, so there was definitely no one running. When we got to HS at 8:15 there were already lots of people in line so there were definitely people in front of us when the gates opened. It just worked out that there were enough people in front of us to fill up the first two shows.

If not shortened by weather, how long does the actual session last?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter