• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Jedi Training Academy for 4 year old

bhartman

Mouseketeer
Hello!

My son will be turning 4 right before our next trip to WDW. He LOVES Star Wars and I'd love to sign him up for the Jedi Training Academy, but I'm worried he may be too young for it. I know that he'll technically be old enough, but I'm more worried about him being mature enough to participate. Does anyone have any opinions on what ages this activity is best suited for? Thanks!

Hello!

My son will be turning 4 right before our next trip to WDW. He LOVES Star Wars and I'd love to sign him up for the Jedi Training Academy, but I'm worried he may be too young for it. I know that he'll technically be old enough, but I'm more worried about him being mature enough to participate. Does anyone have any opinions on what ages this activity is best suited for? Thanks!

One of the reasons that they will only sign up a child if the child is actually present AT the sign-up,
is that they question/interact with the child a bit during sign-up, just to get a feeling
if the child will be ready to do battle with a BIG SCARY EVIL-DOOER… on-stage.

Even then, some kids end up leaving the stage area… being a bit less brave than they thought.
Other kids go the distance.

One of those, "you never know for sure until it happens" moments.

Watch it on YouTube see what you think. When he signs up the Cm will ask him questions to gage his ability to handle the show. Once they walk from the Sounds Dangerous building to the stage- you are not wit them - you follow and take a place in the audience. Will he freak out when the Storm Troopers and Vader come out? When my 3 did it a little girls started screaming crying, the Cm scooped her up and took her to Mom.

We watched it on you tube and I taught him the combo at home. If he can do that and follow directions (and isn't scared) he'll be fine. Personally the cute 4 year olds are the best part - best ad libs from the actors!

Even then, some kids end up leaving the stage area… being a bit less brave than they thought.

Yep, saw that happen! The CMs were great with it, by the way. They didn't do anything to make the child feel bad.

But...you know your child. If that happened, even if no one said anything that could be taken negatively, would HE be OK with it? I know my son, and he would not, so I'm actually quite glad he missed his one opportunity for Jedi at that age when we were at DLR. He was 8 when he did it at WDW and that was perfect.

My dd was 4 when we did it the last time and she did great. She was also the shortest up there and the host loved her. My ds 8 did it too.

My nephew was a huge Star Wars fan and his favorite was Darth Vader. It was Darth Vader everything. He watched Star Wars movies all the way from NC to WDW. He talked a whole bunch of smack about fighting with Vader and was 5 at the time. He was fine through the Jedi training, but it became a bit too real when the music started, then the Storm Troopers came out with Darth. I will never forget the pure look of horror that took over his face and he scanned the audience for his parents. Sadly, his love of Star Wars depleted.
I would get there for the first show and maybe let him watch it first?
Good luck! May the force be with you.

I would advise watching YouTube videos and asking him if it is something of interest to him. Yesterday, I watched a number of Jedi sessions (DD is an onstage Padawan), and many of the smallest kids just stood there not even swinging the light saber. Granted, most of them were probably three and were told to say their age was 4...

DD reports a lot of screaming and crying kids at times. Last week, a family of four kids refused to fight Vader and were only there because their mother made them sign up...they took four slots away from others. The kids who enjoy it the most are the ones who truly want to be there.

Well, I showed him the YouTube video and he thought it looked fun, but said he doesn't want to fight Darth Vader because he wants to join the dark side. I think we'll skip it, so he's not the weird kid on stage who'd rather be a villain.

Thanks for the input! I didn't realize there were videos on YouTube that we could watch. It was great to have a preview of what it would be like.

When we went a few years ago, my DS was so excited to fight Darth Vader. However, we didn't know that Darth Maul was there too, who is much scarier. My DS said no thanks. I think watching the video first is a great idea. We tried again the following year and my DS did it twice!!

Hello!

My son LOVED it at 4, but all kids are different. It can be a little scary with the evil empire music and a large darth vader. But my son went crazy about it and loved fighting vader with his light saber. It was a huge hit for us.

Well, I showed him the YouTube video and he thought it looked fun, but said he doesn't want to fight Darth Vader because he wants to join the dark side. I think we'll skip it, so he's not the weird kid on stage who'd rather be a villain.

LOL! He won't be. Every show I've been at (on both coasts) has had at least one who loves Vader/Maul. They'll work with it :-)

My 4 year old DS (turned 4 the week before we left for WDW) did the Jedi Academy in Oct. and loved it. He had a lot of trouble getting the light sabre to activate but the Jedi Master running the show helped him each time and made it like it worked into the show. He wasn't scared in the least bit. I agree with some of the previous posters in show them a video on YouTube and see if they are scared of Darth Vator.

Go for it my DS turned 4 three days before he did it. He hasa little Trouble pulling out his light saber but they wear really good about it.

It really depends on how well they listen, IMO. DS was asked to participate in Captain Jack's Pirate Tutorial 2 months shy of his 4th birthday, walked away from the group (with us waving and hissing at him to get back in line) and ended up accidentally tripping the good captain while he was talking about "the element of surprise". Talk about a surprise! Luckily no one was hurt, but DS was inconsolable and we felt terrible about the whole thing. Six months later, he is more mature but I am still not sure whether he can handle JTA, so we'll wait.

My son did it when he was 4 and loved it. He was front and center on stage with one other small boy. The older kids were behind them. The only thing he would not do is fight Darth, but we didn't care and neither did he, he had fun just going thru the training. The CMs tried really hard to get him to face Vader but he wouldn't so I told them not to worry it was fine. It really just depends on your son, mine is kinda outgoing and really enjoyed it. I say give it a try, if he wants to. Might let him watch one show first. Have fun!

We were there last week and my 4 yo DS did it and LOVED it. Still can't stop talking about it - it was by far the highlight of his trip. I asked him afterwards if he was scared, and he said he was scared when they played the music and Darth Vader walked out, but he felt brave and happy when he was actually fighting him. :goodvibes

We were there last week and my 4 yo DS did it and LOVED it. Still can't stop talking about it - it was by far the highlight of his trip. I asked him afterwards if he was scared, and he said he was scared when they played the music and Darth Vader walked out, but he felt brave and happy when he was actually fighting him. :goodvibes

Reading that makes me smile. :)

We went the week before thanksgiving & my 6 year old was wearing a darth vader shirt. The trainer made jokes about his shirt but he was a champ. Thought at first he would ask to join the dark side but didn't. He watches the video every week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter