Jedi Training Academy advice

haleofafamily

DIS Veteran
My boys are huge Star Wars fans and we know nothing about the Jedi Training Academy. What do I need to know to make this the best experience for them? Is there a website with helpful info. about this?

same here, huge SW fans, my kids had been picked often, just have them be in the front, jump up and down, be very energetic, scream and clap when the jedi master comes out. Also try and be there for the first showtime, it usually has less people, arrive at least 20m before the times.
:thumbsup2

yulilin3 gave you good advice and it often works. I just have to add one thing - prepare your kids that they may not be picked. I wouldn't even take my boys over there until I gave them a huge talk about it. We met a mother whose son was in tears because he had not been picked at the first two shows (luckily he did get picked this time). They were planning to come back to the park the next day if he didn't make this one. I know its hard for little boys to keep this in perspective, but it really is one small part of WDW. I almost didn't go to the show because I didn't want to deal with the potential heartbreak - and it is heartbreaking for all those boys who have dreamed of fighting Darth Vadar and then, have to watch other kids up there. Fortunately, they do pick a lot of kids - again, try to be there early so you can get a front row spot, but prepare them for the possibility of not getting picked.

I have also read/heard that you increase your chances if your child is dressed in Jedi garb and/or has a Star Wars shirt on.

Well my 2 and 4 year old boys are both obsessed with Star Wars. Is this show in DS? What kindof show is it? Is it appropriate for there age? My 2 year old wants to be Anakin (he was actually Darth Vadar for Halloween). They just love it

Sharron

Well my 2 and 4 year old boys are both obsessed with Star Wars. Is this show in DS? What kindof show is it? Is it appropriate for there age? My 2 year old wants to be Anakin (he was actually Darth Vadar for Halloween). They just love it

Sharron

Probably the 2yo would be a bit young, but you never know who they pick.
they pick kids to go up on a stage, the "jedi master" gives them a jedi robe and lightsaber to use and teaches them a routine, then Darth Vader appears and each kids has to "fight him" at the end they win (of course) and each gets a certificate. It lasts about 20m it's really fun for the SW fans.

I agree with the other posts.. be up front... get there early! Have your child jump up and down and make some noise! Our 12 year old helped by pointing to him too! We missed it last time, but got it this time. It made my 7 year old's whooooole trip!

yulilin3 gave you good advice and it often works. I just have to add one thing - prepare your kids that they may not be picked. I wouldn't even take my boys over there until I gave them a huge talk about it. We met a mother whose son was in tears because he had not been picked at the first two shows (luckily he did get picked this time). They were planning to come back to the park the next day if he didn't make this one. I know its hard for little boys to keep this in perspective, but it really is one small part of WDW. I almost didn't go to the show because I didn't want to deal with the potential heartbreak - and it is heartbreaking for all those boys who have dreamed of fighting Darth Vadar and then, have to watch other kids up there. Fortunately, they do pick a lot of kids - again, try to be there early so you can get a front row spot, but prepare them for the possibility of not getting picked.

Please, please, please follow skaters advice. I can't tell you how many post we get saying entire vacations were "ruined" because little Johnny was not picked. How they went back 4 & 5 times and still were not picked. :sad2:
It is a great attraction especially since disney has so few events like it. We skipped it the first time because I didn't want to deal with a disappointed 5 year old.

Thanks for all the tips. Where exactly is it located? What are the times? How long does it last?

I thought it was just during Star Wars weekends, but not sure. It was by the Star Wars ride last year. On a stage right to the left of it.

DS was at the first show, in the front row, wearing a Star Wars shirt, and jumping up and down. Didn't get picked. He's on the small/short side so maybe the Jedi Master just overlooked him! LOL! Before the show, we told DS he may not get picked and if he did not get picked that just meant that they knew he already knew how to do the Jedi moves. He was fine and didn't cry at all. I was very proud of him. :) At 5 years old and a huge Star Wars fan, I was really expecting tears.

It's located to the left of the Star Wars ride on the stage that is there. It's there all the time, not just during Star Wars weekend. It's at various times during the day so make sure you grab a time guide. There are several shows a day. I think it lasts about 20 minutes or so by the time all the kids do Jedi moves. One thing I did think was cool is that a Photo Pass photographer is there and takes pictures during the show and you can go to the photo shop afterwards to get those pictures added to your photopass if your kid is in the show.

GREAT ATTRACTION. We do not have kids, but this is a must do. Just as Turtle Talk w/Crush is a must do. Excellent advice from everyone so far. Good luck.

We were there in October and my kids loved the show. My ds7 was picked to go up on stage and ds4 was not. He stood there the whole time and was so brave watching his big brother. When the show was over and we were walking away he started crying. He said that he was waiting for his turn. He was sad for a few moments, but then we distracted him by going to see the Power Rangers and he was fine.

My now 12 year old DD still talks about her experiance fighting DV. She was 8 at the time...what a hoot. Now if I can only talk my 6 year old DD into it...but she says DV is scary...

Just a thought....my DS5 is a huge Star Wars fan, and he knew all about the training academy and spent weeks talking about "kicking Darth Vaders butt at Disney World!":laughing:

So we went to the first show of the day and he didn't get picked (he knew that it was a possibility that he would not), BUT it turned out to be a very good thing, because as soon as Darth came out, my usually fearless son crawled through my legs and hid behind me! Darth is HUGE in real life and my kiddo was terrified! Glad he didn't get picked!

So, I just wanted to mention that you might want to consider letting your younger kids watch first to see if they really want to do it.

My DS6 also feels a disturbance in the Force when he's near Darth Vader. :goodvibes

At Disneyland, many DISers have had good luck using home made signs:

The Force is Strong in This One! or Padawan Princess!

At DHS last August, we were the only Guests holding signs, and DS6 and DD5 were both picked.
(And it was our first time at JTA in DHS.) :wizard:

May the Force be with you! :darth:

HTH :earsboy:

DS wasn't picked for the first show we went to, and he was a little upset (even though I had the talk with him about how he might not get picked), so we distracted him by letting him build his own lightsaber. When we went back the second time, the Photopass photographer advised DS to wave his lightsaber and show off some of his "Jedi" skills to the Jedi master. He was picked the second time on the condition that he leave his Sith lightsaber (he made a replica of Darth Vader's lightsaber) with Mom and Dad...

Another thing the Photopass guy told us was - depending on the Jedi master - to stay behind the white line. There's a white line around the stage that allows about five feet of room, presumably to let kids get through to the stairs on the right side of the stage. The Jedi master for both of our shows was a real stickler about this white line and mentioned many times that if a child wanted to be picked, he or she MUST be behind the white line...

This made my son's trip - that, and riding ToT and RnRC every chance he got! Hope you have a great trip!!!

We have gone a number of times - in the front row - first to arrive - and have never been picked. My kids just know that they can't get to do everything. I love the sign idea - I will definitely be trying that next time.

Last week I learned another way to get in the show.
A woman got into a fight with another woman because she felt the other woman's kids cut in front of hers. She actually hit her and made her bleed:scared1: After the incident a CM promised this woman her kids would be in the next show.:confused:
So just be a little aggressive and give someone your best shot - apparently it works;)

DD was picked during our last trip. We told her that they MAY ask some children on the stage and if she wanted to be picked to raise her hand and be enthusiastic about it. There were lots of little boys and I think she got picked because she was a girl and had a birthday pin on.

DH and I thought it was funny how the dads were "coaching" their kids. They seemed more excited about it and then upset when their child wasn't picked. Our Jedi trainer was funny and picked older children that could follow directions, and looked beyond the front row to include everyone. In the end, more kids are picked from the front row, so get there early and grab a snack while you wait. It is a fun experience for everyone.

We were there for SWW in 2007, and were at the back of the crowd. DS9 had on a Darth Vader helmet and cape, and DH put him up on his shoulders to be seen above the crowd. He was waving his light saber around like crazy! He did get picked on his first try. The main thing to remember is ... anything you can do to get the Jedi Trainer's attention is a good thing! As for DV height, DS was 50" in my sig photo, so I would guess DV at close to 7 feet. (And Chewie is bigger than that!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter