Jedi Costume at Christmas?

Bryon&Tina

Earning My Ears
My son loves Star Wars and we know he will flip at the ride and the training academy. Was thinking of bring his Jedi costume and changing at the park, in hopes he would get picked for the training. My wife thinks this is crazy. What do you think? Will that help?

I think it's a good idea. Of course, there is no guarantee of getting picked, and you should make sure to not build it up to your DS too much in case he doesn't get picked. Having said that, though, I think a costume and getting there early enough to be in the front of the crowd can help. I don't know how old your DS is, but tell him to look energetic and happy, and that might help.

We did the training in May, and my DD10 and nephew 5 were the first two picked. DD wore her Darth Vader costume, which was easy to carry in my bag and just have her slip on right before the show started. My nephew wore a Star Wars t-shirt we brought for him. They were very cute and had a great time doing it.

Here they are shortly before the show started:
P1010946.jpg

Good luck! I hope your DS gets picked!

Leslie

I think the rule with costumes is that they're only permitted for kids under 12, so as long as your son is younger than that, you can do what you'd like. We watched the Jedi show one time, and it seems like the kids who get picked are the ones who are nearer to the front and who act REALLY enthusiastic, jumping up and down, cheering excitedly, that kind of thing. So costume or not, the best thing would probably be to prepare your son to act really excited.

Mary

My pretty calm /laid back DS8 was picked wearing a tshirt and shorts. He would have had an enthusiastic expression on his face--but just raised his hand and no jumping, etc.

I agree with not building it up though--say wearing the costume to Jedi training would be fun--I wouldn't even mention he might be picked. Then if it happens it wonderfully serendipitous.

I honestly wouldn't do it because you could build up his hopes and he might not get picked, costume or not. We went a few times last year and practically every other day my DS wanted to try to get picked. He'd wear a SW shirt, jump up and down, etc. and was never lucky enough to get picked. In May it was more of the same. On the last day of our trip we went back to DHS and he was lucky enough to get picked. When we went to our first Jedi Training show we made it a point to tell DS (he was 6 at the time of the first attempt) that getting picked was completely random and if he got picked that was great, and if he didn't get picked that was ok too because at least he was getting to see the show.

I've seen some Jedi Masters seem to pick mostly the kids that have SW clothes/costumes on, some Jedi Masters will pick kids holding signs, some Jedi Masters will pick completely random where there doesn't seem to be a pattern.

It is a really cute show to watch for SW fans young and old so regardless of if your child gets picked he should enjoy it. Good luck and "May the Force be with you". :yoda:

Ths thread had me thinking back to when I was a little boy (I am 33 now). I had a pair of Bobo Fet under-roos and I wore those things every chance I had when I was little. My mom once told me that she had to wash them daily because I would wear them in the house, outside, I would try to go to school in only the 'Fets colors. I remember being so happy in those things, and my mom remembers me being so happy when she would buy a new set for me to wear out.

Anyway, OP I say if your little Jedi wants to wear his robes go for it. My last trip my wife and I watched the show (I was that wierd guy cheering for Darth Vader...) and we saw many kids not get picked for the show. But they all still had smiles on thier faces afterwards.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter